CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:29 am

17 Seconds wrote:i don't think i've ever felt this type of dread before

It's all very surreal and abstract to me right now. If/when someone I know gets sick, the flip will switch in my brain, but I'm not there yet.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:37 am

I was there about 1.5 weeks ago. Soon, when its all around you, you’ll feel different. Its too late for dread and time to plan.

Food
Water
Meds
Cleaner
As much cash as you can muster in case you lose your job
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:59 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:With each day, South Korea is showing how this can be managed:

https://www.cdc.go.kr/html/a3/namoimage ... 7AH9EN.png

The response doesn't need to be nearly as draconian as China, but top-down action needs to happen to ensure as much testing as possible, and propagating realistic self-isolation and social separation as much as possible, too. This makes it abundantly clear that this approach does work.

2 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:27 am

Social distancing is off to a great start!
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:32 am

My primary emotion right now is anger. Not that this was preventable, but that our government squandered months of possible preparation time. There were going to be some deaths no matter what, but so many more people are going to die than what could have been if managed properly. I sincerely hope this all turns out to be an overreaction, but I fear we will look back at this as one of the worst-handled crises in the history of the country.
1 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:47 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:

My primary emotion right now is anger. Not that this was preventable, but that our government squandered months of possible preparation time. There were going to be some deaths no matter what, but so many more people are going to die than what could have been if managed properly. I sincerely hope this all turns out to be an overreaction, but I fear we will look back at this as one of the worst-handled crises in the history of the country.

There’s one primary person to blame for the US’s lapsed reaction and we all know who it is. He gambled that this virus would miraculously vanish by the time it got here and if it did that the damage would be minimal. He downplayed it and silenced the highest public health officials so not to scare what he sees as his greatest in office accomplishment - the financial markets. Now the markets are trashed, a recession is upon us, and we are in for a scary few weeks and months. It’s a prime display of a lack of leadership. Hopefully it doesn’t cost America too many lives.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:14 am

I was much more uneasy on 9/11 than this.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:14 am

Who thought that graphic was a good idea? lol

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:40 am

OleMissCub wrote:

I was much more uneasy on 9/11 than this.

This is more like the Austin powers steamroller scene version of 9/11. Were about to get a couple dozen or so of them spread over months, not just two cities in a matter of minutes.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:58 pm

I couldn’t read the full article because the Washington Post had it behind a pay wall, but the article argued that social distancing is a better method to fight this virus than a lockdown apart from essential services. What say you?
0 x

BigSlick
Superstar

Postby BigSlick » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:26 pm

Hey everybody how’s everyone doing
0 x
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:26 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Who thought that graphic was a good idea? lol

Omg that is ridiculous
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:44 pm

Wilson A2000 wrote:I couldn’t read the full article because the Washington Post had it behind a pay wall, but the article argued that social distancing is a better method to fight this virus than a lockdown apart from essential services. What say you?

Well social distancing + broad testing would be best. But if you can't test and society doesn't respond to a call for social distancing.. Lockdowns be coming
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 pm

So I work at an east coast ski resort. Small management team. I sent an email to my boss, the GM, on Thursday saying that I think we need to meet the following day to discuss plans for closing and messaging and that if they werent already prepared to have their upcoming ski vacation out west cancelled, then they should start to. Didn't get a response. When I arrived at work on Friday, I was chewed the eff out, basically being told that "this is just the flu" and im being a crazy paranoid person, "there are no confirmed cases around here and your email was very confrontational and blah blah blah". I was horsefeathering furious. I began sending resumes out that morning, and I have a phone interview scheduled for Thursday.

My GM flew to Colorado to go skiing this morning, and while im not a spiteful person, I take some delight in picturing his dumb face as he learns that all resorts out there are closed. Enjoy your 10 day ski vacation, ya horsefeathering morons.
7 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:04 pm

Belgium is very quiet this weekend. Brussels, Antwerp and Ghent were ghost towns on Saturday evening.
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:06 pm

This happened all over town yesterday. It’s only a matter of time before bars and restaurants close.

0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:31 pm

Wilson A2000 wrote:I couldn’t read the full article because the Washington Post had it behind a pay wall, but the article argued that social distancing is a better method to fight this virus than a lockdown apart from essential services. What say you?

It would likely work if people weren’t horsefeathering morons and selfish, irresponsible pricks. But too many people just don’t listen and only care about themselves and are/were unnecessarily going out in crowded places all weekend. Lockdown/shutdown is going to have to happen if/when this explodes because people aren’t responsible enough to follow rules and can’t be trusted.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:45 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:So I work at an east coast ski resort. Small management team. I sent an email to my boss, the GM, on Thursday saying that I think we need to meet the following day to discuss plans for closing and messaging and that if they werent already prepared to have their upcoming ski vacation out west cancelled, then they should start to. Didn't get a response. When I arrived at work on Friday, I was chewed the eff out, basically being told that "this is just the flu" and im being a crazy paranoid person, "there are no confirmed cases around here and your email was very confrontational and blah blah blah". I was horsefeathering furious. I began sending resumes out that morning, and I have a phone interview scheduled for Thursday.

My GM flew to Colorado to go skiing this morning, and while im not a spiteful person, I take some delight in picturing his dumb face as he learns that all resorts out there are closed. Enjoy your 10 day ski vacation, ya horsefeathering morons.

I sent my boss an email on Friday, and I got the exact opposite response. She apologized for not having made a policy sooner, and sent one out 3 hours after I sent my email. Working from home is pretty easy for us, so it's a totally different situation. And yeah, in Colorado, the ski resort towns seem to be harder hit by the virus than the Denver area, at the moment. If I see him around I'll give him the finger.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

It would likely work if people weren’t horsefeathering morons and selfish, irresponsible pricks. But too many people just don’t listen and only care about themselves and are/were unnecessarily going out in crowded places all weekend. Lockdown/shutdown is going to have to happen if/when this explodes because people aren’t responsible enough to follow rules and can’t be trusted.

Well...it's all relative. I don't think it's possible to keep this virus from eventually reaching most everyone. We just need to flatten the curve. The biggest issue is that in the US we really are flying blind for how pervasive the virus' presence is and how big of a spike the hospitals might have to deal with otherwise, let alone when the spike would happen. A total and complete lockdown is not only often ineffective, but even if it was (someone shout me down if I'm wrong here) we do want SOME community spread at this point.

We can't get herd immunity without exposures. If we lock everything down effectively and the spread slows to a trickle, and then we open everything up again, all we've done is delay the onset of a hospital-crushing spike. All of these factors are why self-directed isolation behaviors are probably the best way to go along with school closures and the like as needed. Personally, I think school closures ought to be rotated in Metro areas for a bunch of different reasons. And unless you have evidence that a big wave of infections are coming or present, public transportation should remain open.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:16 pm

0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:28 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:The counter to everything I just said.

https://medium.com/@joschabach/flattening-the-curve-is-a-deadly-delusion-eea324fe9727

His take on Italy is very, very wrong.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Man, there's a LOT off in that. Medium is a...dicey place to link articles from.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:35 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... us-vaccine

The Trump administration has offered a German medical company “large sums of money” for exclusive access to a Covid-19 vaccine, German media have reported.

The German government is trying to fight off what it sees as an aggressive takeover bid by the US, the broadsheet Die Welt reports, citing German government circles.

The US president had offered the Tübingen-based biopharmaceutical company CureVac “large sums of money” to gain exclusive access to their work, wrote Die Welt.

According to an anonymous source quoted in the newspaper, Trump was doing everything to secure a vaccine against the coronavirus for the US, “but for the US only”.

The German government was reportedly offering its own financial incentives for the vaccine to stay in the country.

When approached about the report by the Guardian, the German health ministry would only confirm the accuracy of the quotes attributed to one of its spokespersons in the article.

“The federal government is very interested in vaccines and antiviral agents against the novel coronavirus being developed in Germany and Europe,” the spokesperson quoted in the original article had said. “In this regard the government is in an intensive exchange with the company CureVac.”

The German health ministry spokesperson declined the opportunity to correct any inaccuracies in Die Welt’s account.

What the horsefeathering horsefeathers. This fat horsefeathers can't die fast enough.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:36 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Man, there's a LOT off in that. Medium is a...dicey place to link articles from.

Yeah, I don't think his argument is stronger than flatten the curve arguments, but without really knowing how many existing cases we have, it's something to consider.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:38 pm

I don't know how feasible something like this would be, but I really wish it was something that was at least discussed here:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... entilators

Matt Hancock has called on British manufacturers to consider switching parts of their production to the making of medical ventilators needed to treat rising numbers of coronavirus patients.

The health secretary said on Sunday the UK had 5,000 ventilators but needed many more times that number. Hancock said “anyone who can” should “turn their engineering minds and production lines to making them … We need to produce more.”

Hancock claimed on the Andrew Marr Show that the government was in discussion with “all kinds of companies”, including car manufacturers and military engineers. Rolls-Royce, JCB and Unipart were all expected to speak to the prime minister on a conference call, according to a report in the Sunday Telegraph.

Basically we need ventilators, beds, and field hospitals.
1 x

Return to “Social”