CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

stitchface
Superstar

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby stitchface » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:22 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'm having an easily distracted day, so to at least attempt to be helpful I thought I'd put together some unsolicited advice about remote working for those of you who are new to working from home. I hope I've learned a bit from working at a 100% remote org for 7+ years, but as you'll see below your mileage may vary.

- Give yourself permission to adjust. Remote working is a change without the world being consumed by disease, and if you're juggling childcare, logistics for older relatives, etc there's a lot of stress to go around. It's likely you won't immediately be the picture of productivity. That's okay, and if you manage others in this situation please remember that too.

- Everyone is different. You'll hear a bunch of different suggestions(work in the exact same spot, get dressed for work, etc) and those round to being true for lots of people, but ultimately each person is productive on different terms. Some people need their specific office setup with 17 monitors and a vault door that seals them off to the outside world. Other folks gain energy from bouncing around the house or to different coffee shops as the day progresses. Some people need complete silence, other people are good with certain types of music, and others still like having something that can draw their attention like the TV. What works for you is often specific to you and/or the particular task you're on.

- Capitalize on momentum, and be productive when not. This might be role-dependent, but especially for individual tasks, we've all had days where we got a bunch done and others where you bang your head against the wall to get the bare minimum finished. Working remote can be great because you have productive outlets for those days where you struggle, whether it's loading the dishwasher, getting the mail, or straightening a room. On the other hand, your work environment can be important because you don't want those things calling your name while you find yourself in a good flow of productivity.

- Remote is a complete overhaul of how a company operates. This isn't up to you, but doing remote work well means the entire company embracing the things that it is and is not. Most partial remote setups are destined to fail or disenfranchise the remote folks, but the good news is a pandemic is pretty equal opportunity so you may have a fresh slate to avoid some pitfalls. You don't need a nanny state or an expectation of instant responses, but you need a higher degree of communication, and that communication should be written. The more you can push meetings and phone calls to be documents or more public chats, especially if you picked up a lot by osmosis when you were in the office, everyone's work life becomes easier.

People learning to work and do business without getting face to face would be a great step to fight climate change.
3 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:57 pm

Tormund Giantsbane got that coronavirus, too.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:24 pm

The Logan wrote:Tormund Giantsbane got that coronavirus, too.

well now it's toast
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:19 am

My AGM’s husband has it, presumptive anyway, with pretty rough symptoms of fever and coughing. I’m with her everyday at work. New Orleans has the second highest growth rate in the country right now. I’m starting to feel like we’re all going to get it as this point, if most of us don’t already have it. I guess I’ll have to get sick before I can get tested.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:34 am

i've been trying not to read more than i have to the last few days. are we still following the same path a italy, and if so, when is this going to blow up? i know the damage has already been done, but when are the hospitals going to start getting overloaded? like, when are things going to begin to peak?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:35 am

when is this going to blow up?

Probably in about 10-14 days.

The thing to remember about Italy is that they've only been in lockdown for 5 days. If we use China as a model, it was in the second week of their lockdown that they started seeing things turn slowly in terms of new cases/people needing hospitalization/etc.. So the US is, potentially, about a week+ away from blowing up in areas like Northern Italy did, and then you've got about 2 weeks-ish after that to ideally hit a peak and see the impact of these steps.

So ideally by the end of April we'll see the overall numbers trending, however slowly, in the right direction.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:47 am

17 Seconds wrote:i've been trying not to read more than i have to the last few days. are we still following the same path a italy, and if so, when is this going to blow up? i know the damage has already been done, but when are the hospitals going to start getting overloaded? like, when are things going to begin to peak?

Just my opinion, but I think places like Seattle or outside NYC are a week or two away from a peak from a public health perspective, the rest of the country two or three. This country being shut down for two or more months is going to take awhile to for it to rebound.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:05 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
when is this going to blow up?

Probably in about 10-14 days.

The thing to remember about Italy is that they've only been in lockdown for 5 days. If we use China as a model, it was in the second week of their lockdown that they started seeing things turn slowly in terms of new cases/people needing hospitalization/etc.. So the US is, potentially, about a week+ away from blowing up in areas like Northern Italy did, and then you've got about 2 weeks-ish after that to ideally hit a peak and see the impact of these steps.

So ideally by the end of April we'll see the overall numbers trending, however slowly, in the right direction.

Let me preface this by saying I realize what a selfish and trivial concern this is (and believe me, I'm plenty worried about the non-trivial concerns too), but what do you think the odds are that I'll be able to (without it being a really stupid choice) make my trip to Cancun in the first week of June? Been looking forward to that like crazy and it also helped kick start my health kick, TBH.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:07 am

I really don't like the "days behind Italy" meme. There's just *way* too much going on in the two different data sets to assume too much because they both follow exponential-y curves for the first few days.

If nothing else, the US data is basically garbage and we have no idea where we really stand.
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:09 am

There's been a couple of recent studies this week (limited sample size, obviously) that indicate it is likely the spread of this will be constrained by increased heat and humidity. Of course, that's a LONG ways from it actually being gone or even under control, but it does bring hope that by summer things can at least start shifting somewhat closer to normal. A trip in June is, IMO, still pretty up in the air at this point, but there's a decent chance. But the decision might be made for you, TBH.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:11 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I really don't like the "days behind Italy" meme. There's just *way* too much going on in the two different data sets to assume too much because they both follow exponential-y curves for the first few days.

If nothing else, the US data is basically garbage and we have no idea where we really stand.

True. But there's little showing that this thing isn't/hasn't been spreading like crazy here, and isn't going to do anything but just keep doubling+ for a good week or two. The question is will that also translate to too many cases that require hospitalization.
1 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:16 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I really don't like the "days behind Italy" meme. There's just *way* too much going on in the two different data sets to assume too much because they both follow exponential-y curves for the first few days.

are you saying this in more of an optimistic or pessimistic way? (regarding the US)

italy's situation is really horsefeathering with my head and i'm just hunting for reasons to believe/hope that isn't us soon.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:18 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:There's been a couple of recent studies this week (limited sample size, obviously) that indicate it is likely the spread of this will be constrained by increased heat and humidity. Of course, that's a LONG ways from it actually being gone or even under control, but it does bring hope that by summer things can at least start shifting somewhat closer to normal. A trip in June is, IMO, still pretty up in the air at this point, but there's a decent chance. But the decision might be made for you, TBH.

Interesting. I’m guessing the Cubs/Cardinals London trip won’t be on though even if things go back to relative normal. I’ve been looking forward to that since the day it was announced and even skipped the original plan which was the Bears London game to wait for this. Hopefully if/when it’s cancelled it will be rescheduled for 2021
0 x
Win it for Fred

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:24 am

Stay home. Don't kill Mel Brooks:

2 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:25 am

that guy is 47?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:27 am

17 Seconds wrote:

are you saying this in more of an optimistic or pessimistic way? (regarding the US)

italy's situation is really horsefeathering with my head and i'm just hunting for reasons to believe/hope that isn't us soon.

The whole country will not be Italy if that makes you feel better. There’s too many different factors and variables (Italy has 60+ million people + tourists in an area the size of like Georgia and the Carolina’s combined and other factors like climate, older population, smokers etc) that the WHOLE US will not get it like Italy. But there are likely going to be Italy like spots/regions.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:41 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

The whole country will not be Italy if that makes you feel better. There’s too many different factors and variables (Italy has 60+ million people + tourists in an area the size of like Georgia and the Carolina’s combined and other factors like climate, older population, smokers etc) that the WHOLE US will not get it like Italy. But there are likely going to be Italy like spots/regions.

i'm hopeful that we might also benefit from the science (and seeing what types of treatments are and aren't working) being a tad further along
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:43 am

17 Seconds wrote:

We honestly don't know. There's just no way of knowing because our testing is garbage and our central bookkeeping of the data is garbage.

My guess is that Italy has it so bad because it is at the confluence of some bad factors and it had a lot more seeding events than they can confirm.

But we just don't know.
1 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:37 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

if this is true, wouldn't we at least be able to get enough ventilators in time?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:42 am

17 Seconds wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

if this is true, wouldn't we at least be able to get enough ventilators in time?

Maybe? Probably depends on how severe cases are and if we can “smooth the curve” so there aren’t massive rushes of people going to hospitals and them being overwhelmed and how many spots get it bad at the same time.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:01 am

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems that the majority of experts are thinking that the worst-case scenario is actually going to occur. Even Trump is changing his tune.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:02 am

0 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:39 am

Wilson A2000 wrote:Maybe it’s just me, but it seems that the majority of experts are thinking that the worst-case scenario is actually going to occur. Even Trump is changing his tune.

how can the expected also be the worst case scenario?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:17 am

17 Seconds wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:Maybe it’s just me, but it seems that the majority of experts are thinking that the worst-case scenario is actually going to occur. Even Trump is changing his tune.

how can the expected also be the worst case scenario?

Like, in this case, or ever?

To use a hypothetical, if a plane is flying, and then suddenly it doesn't have any wings, I think the worst case scenario should be expected.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:31 am

Mr ducked is right - with no testing, we have no idea where we stand. We don't know if it's the community or not (in places where there aren't a lot of cases). With regard to hospitals, my sister is an RN locally and it sounds pretty bleak. There aren't enough beds or masks let alone ventilators. The hospitals here are generally near capacity pre-COVID 19. So, we need to build hospitals. Yes, this could get very bad. We really need people to isolate.
0 x

Return to “Social”