CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Splendid Splinter » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:00 am

Wilson A2000 wrote:In May of 2009 pharmaceutical companies started making a H1N1 vaccine. By November it was being administered. By “making a vaccine,” does it mean all the initial testing was completed and they moved to the manufacturing side or did they just make the H1N1 vaccine from beginning to end a lot faster?

First case of H1N1 was in January 2009 IIRC so I would say yes to first part of your question.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:26 am

UMFan83 wrote:
abuck1220 wrote:cool that asymptomatic professional athletes have easy access to tests

Maybe they think that the more awareness people have the more compelled the public will be to practice social distancing?

my assumption is that he was tested bc he was exposed to a confirmed case, given the no symptoms. . either way, not a great look.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:35 am

FWIW

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:36 am

Wilson A2000 wrote:In May of 2009 pharmaceutical companies started making a H1N1 vaccine. By November it was being administered. By “making a vaccine,” does it mean all the initial testing was completed and they moved to the manufacturing side or did they just make the H1N1 vaccine from beginning to end a lot faster?

H1N1 is an influenza strain. SARS-CoV-2 is an RNA virus. Long story short, there was a proven history of flu vaccines to work off of with the former. There's never been an RNA vaccine before.
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:25 am

Sammy tell me all the flaws in this logic
Last edited by David on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:27 am

David wrote:https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696?s=19

Sammy tell me all the flaws in this guy's logic

i was also going to post this and ask for smart people to tell me why injection into my forehead shouldn't take place immediately
1 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:10 am

We are already doing the suppression strategy which is a few thousand deaths at peak in a few weeks from now, then goes down. Some places are doing more than that currently. We don’t run out of ventilators. I feel a lot better reading that.
Last edited by Wilson A2000 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:11 am

It's reasonable given the assumptions. It did it's job, which was to show the UK how their early ideas on how to handle things were really, really stupid. The UK government was talking about just letting everyone get infected to get herd immunity, but at a slower rate, and that's an abysmally dumb plan.

I do wonder about their assumption that kids transmit just as readily as adults, which we aren't sure about yet. Under 13 make up less than 1% of confirmed cases in countries that have broad testing. It's very possible that kids are not only symptomatic less, but they are actually resistant to the infection.

And their range of R0 only goes down to 2.0. It was around 2.4 in Wuhan when they had no idea what was happening and the government was actively suppressing its existence from the public. Surely in the US, where population is less dense, we have less mass transit, and people are now aware, we could get more reduction than that.

But the money shot is this part:

.Given local epidemics are not perfectly synchronised, local policies are also more efficient and can achieve comparable levels of suppression to national policies while being in force for a slightly smaller proportion of the time.

The point was basically "no you horsefeathers, you can't just let this run its course. And you can't keep waiting until it gets this bad and then try to fix it with national policy." Aggressive local containment will be necessary to prevent subsequent waves just as big as the one we have now.
2 x

Sosa21MVP
5-Time All-Star

Postby Sosa21MVP » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:31 am

Not sure I have the mental energy to deal with doom-boner scenarios. It seems to me that a lot of the state governments are clamping down on things in a serious manner right now. I was supposed to be in Vegas starting tomorrow (cancelled the trip) and tonight I read even they are shutting it down pretty much in terms of non-essential services.

I feel good that my own employer is taking it extremely seriously. I have everything I need to work from home indefinitely.

Compared to one week ago, I don't see any way to deny that it isn't hitting home on a much more real level across the country. Not to say there aren't still some idiots out there but you will always have that.

I think it will be okay in the long run. I just hope by June/July we can regain some semblance of the norm. These times are testing my anxiety and depression greatly.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:31 am

I am not remotely qualified to make this statement, but I just can't shake the idea that maybe this is just way more widespread and way less deadly than we think. Like, even if the true number of cases were 10x what's being reported, what are the odds of it entering both the NBA and the NHL?
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:41 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I am not remotely qualified to make this statement, but I just can't shake the idea that maybe this is just way more widespread and way less deadly than we think. Like, even if the true number of cases were 10x what's being reported, what are the odds of it entering both the NBA and the NHL?

Not sure I understand your point? I'd think pro athletes are more likely to get it. Tons of public exposure. New cities every few days. Then once it's in, it is seemingly a perfect spreading ground. Tons of close physical contact. New counterparts every few days who likewise go on to interact with new counterparts.
0 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:57 am

Wilson A2000 wrote:

We are already doing the suppression strategy which is a few thousand deaths at peak in a few weeks from now, then goes down. Some places are doing more than that currently. We don’t run out of ventilators. I feel a lot better reading that.

Did you miss the part about needing to keep up with an extreme level of containment until there is a vaccine, in maybe 18 months? That doesn't make me feel better. Not at all.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:05 am

CoolHandLuke wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

Did you miss the part about needing to keep up with an extreme level of containment until there is a vaccine, in maybe 18 months? That doesn't make me feel better. Not at all.

I mean, sorry? This is really bad.

That doesn't mean we'll all be on lockdown for 18 months. But it means you'll be washing your hands, encouraged to work from home when possible, and whole cities will be locked down at times.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:21 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
CoolHandLuke wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

I mean, sorry? This is really bad.

That doesn't mean we'll all be on lockdown for 18 months. But it means you'll be washing your hands, encouraged to work from home when possible, and whole cities will be locked down at times.

but sports

seriously, though, it would be so much easier to comply comfortably if i at least had that distraction. just having the nfl news interspersed in my twitter feed was amazingly refreshing today.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:37 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I am not remotely qualified to make this statement, but I just can't shake the idea that maybe this is just way more widespread and way less deadly than we think. Like, even if the true number of cases were 10x what's being reported, what are the odds of it entering both the NBA and the NHL?

i was thinking something along those lines, but if it were that widespread, wouldn't south korea have more positive cases (i mean since they are testing way more)?
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:44 am

https://necsi.edu/review-of-ferguson-et ... erventions

Here's some smart people saying what I guessed at earlier: That scary British study, though important, is too pessimistic about our ability to reduce spread.
2 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:50 am

David wrote:

i was thinking something along those lines, but if it were that widespread, wouldn't south korea have more positive cases (i mean since they are testing way more)?

Yep. But Seattle had cases before Italy, why isn't it Italy already? But why is Italy so bad if it's not as deadly as we think?

We just don't know as much as we need to know right now.
3 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:55 am

Obviously, yes, would prefer we all just have enough ventilators but at least people are figuring out ways to maximize what they have.. also I saw there was a reply to the tweet regarding that Athersys company that got fast tracked by the FDA and other agency yesterday I posted about and their drug/treatment they have potentially helps reduce ventilator time amongst other things with the respiratory issues this virus brings.

2 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:42 am

I wonder what the odds are that any of mlb/nba/nhl end up having a 2020 champion
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:45 am

17 Seconds wrote:I wonder what the odds are that any of mlb/nba/nhl end up having a 2020 champion

I think in a couple months, maybe even just one, there's gonna be a strong sentiment to try to grab as much normalcy as we can. "We can't shut down everything forever, we've got it under control now, we just have to be more cautious." So you'll see sporting events start up, maybe even with no fans for awhile. But TV money alone should be enough to induce it. Definitely in time for MLB. Probably not in time for NHL/NBA to salvage a end to their season, but not impossible.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:58 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:https://necsi.edu/review-of-ferguson-et-al-impact-of-non-pharmaceutical-interventions

Here's some smart people saying what I guessed at earlier: That scary British study, though important, is too pessimistic about our ability to reduce spread.

Yeah, there's nothing "wrong" with the British study; it's just important to look at it for what it is: a projection they've come up with was to what they think might happen. And like Kyle said, a big part of this could be seen as a rebuke of the UK's pants-droppingly stupid approach to this.

But you're going to find a variety of different projections/studies by similar groups that are going to pose/analyze different scenarios. Yes, that one COULD happen, unfortunately, but again, as Kyle said, it's largely predicated on an approach of doing nothing except trying to manage social interactions. It is also, as all of these projections are at this point, fueled by a lack of knowledge and understanding of just how this virus works. It does little to take in environmental factors, and basically accounts for no medical developments in treating it outside of ultimately developing and distributing a vaccine almost two years from now.

Obviously, the people behind it are a LOT smarter than us, especially in this field, but they're not saying "THIS IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN." It's their guess at what could happen if a specific approach and set of factors happen on paper.

Look at it this way: we hear scary things like, "this virus can live for X number of days in the air on on X surface!" And yeah, those are based off of experimentation and observed results...but in a controlled setting. The talk of how it can live in the air for 3 hours means a detectable level of the virus can be found after keeping an aerosol introduction of it into a specialized contained drum that keeps the aerosol circulating for as long as they want. In our everyday lives, gravity does its job, and the virus introduced to the air via cough or sneeze or spit will quickly settle to a surface. And then the lifespan of the surface tests are, again, in controlled environments with factors introduced to better help them observe how the virus behaves. Here's someone much smarter than me explaining it:

In this podcast the director of Charité Berlin's Institute of Virology Prof. Dr. Christian Drosten provided his assessment. I assume he is referring to this paper and translated the relevant podcast section with deepl translator.

Source: https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/info/coronaskript128.pdf (pp. 2-3; German text).

Christian Drosten: There is this one study, which you mentioned on Friday, on the stability of the virus. There is a working group that took this virus and compared it with the old SARS virus, for example, how it is stable on objects. And so according to the motto, how it sits on the door handle and how long it will remain infectious there. I believe that this paper, this contribution, has been very well communicated in the social media.

Anja Martini: Up to three days, it says on plastics or stainless steel, on a door handle or something. On paper it can be active up to 24 hours. Is there any truth to it?

Christian Drosten: Yes, exactly. It's relatively difficult to handle such data in practice. The impression I get when I read it is that it expresses relatively long times. That it is said that two days on surfaces is infectious and so on. And that is perhaps also presented a bit as if that was particularly bad. Unfortunately, it is just like that, especially in scientific short articles, that this mood prevails in some media, that it is said: Bad news sells particularly well. If you take a look at the data in this paper, it is not at all clear how much virus was applied to these test surfaces and in what form. It simply says that virus was applied to the surface. But it is a big difference whether this virus is in a large or a small drop of liquid - or in a drop that has almost no volume at all. If you look at what is being done, you take a surface, which can be made of plastic or paper or metal, and you probably put a drop of virus solution on it. And then you take that back. We say you resuspend it. So you put it back into a new fluid and you put it on a cell culture. That's a test to see if the virus is still infectious. Then you can also determine how much infectivity is still there at any given time by dilution experiments. And then it is already the case that after 48 hours infectivity can still be detected on this surface, i.e. that there is still infectious virus in the cell culture. But it is just very, very little. You start with almost 10,000 infectious units and in the end there are significantly less than ten infectious units. The question is, of course, when you get this on your finger and on your mouth, is there anything infectious left? This thins on the finger again and then comes into contact with the acidic environment of the skin. This is actually what we should know from such a study, and this cannot be simulated in such simple experiments.

And the conclusions that are drawn from it are very quickly misunderstood. This is more a technical study. If you take a closer look, you will see that it is true that cell culture can still become infectious after 48 hours. But the time in between is already covered in these experiments - and there you can see that there is a very rapid decline in all these experiments. No matter which surface was covered with virus, after only eight hours, i.e. between eight and 24 hours, there is no longer any measured value. But in this interval, the infectiousness of the virus drops very rapidly, practically on all surfaces in the same or similar way. And my suspicion is that this eight hours is actually the time in the experiment before this small liquid droplet of virus has completely dried out. That this has nothing to do with the surface itself, but that it is simply the drying out of the virus. And is of course completely different in a real situation. For example, when we cough in our hand - there is virus sticking to our hand. When we reach for a door handle, the volume of liquid, the film of liquid that sticks to the door handle, is almost impossible to measure. It dries much faster than the droplet that is brought to the surface in the laboratory. And the question is of course also: what kind of droplet is it anyway? A cell culture medium is really not the same as coughing up mucus and saliva. That is why we have to be very careful with such scientific data. They are not wrong. But they are so simple that they probably don't reflect the real infection. And it's very difficult, because something like that will probably be published visibly, so that it also triggers press reports. If the press then says: alarm, the virus can be kept on surfaces for two days, then perhaps a false impression is created.

The people who want to protect themselves also set the wrong priorities. They say, "Help me. I won't touch a doorknob anymore. But if I get close to anybody, I lose sight of that. But of course, the more important mechanism of such viruses that can be transmitted via droplet infection is that you should not get so close to each other, that you should not cough, that you should not have long speech contact with other people. Of course there are contact transmissions via surfaces, door handles and other things. But now that you're putting numbers on it, I think that distorts your idea of reality. And we all need a healthy and realistic assessment at the moment - if we try to organize our daily lives well and protect ourselves from infection. And therefore the better assessment is: Someone coughs up the virus or has a wet mouth - then the virus stays in the air for a short time before and around these people and then falls to the ground relatively quickly.

Anja Martini: A short time, 20 minutes, ten minutes?

Christian Drosten: Yeah, something like that. It's not much longer, and that varies, of course. It will be longer when coughing than when speaking, because the droplets when coughing are much smaller and they can float longer. And then at some point there is also such an equilibrium, a balance, between a drop that is so small that it can stay in the air for a long time. But which is so small that it dries out very quickly. And the virus is then no longer in a liquid and is then destroyed because it dries. All these things we don't know for this virus. And until we have measured them in really precise scientific studies, we should rather let a little bit of general knowledge about other cold viruses be brought in. Such headlines of scientific articles, which are quite justified and which carry a lot of truth in them, but you should not shorten them and then think, now the whole assessment has suddenly changed.

So, long story short, yeah, it can technically be detected on surfaces or in the air for terrifying-sounding periods of time...but the devil is in the details of the environment these studies were done in, and that "in the wild" its going to vary wildly depending on things like temperature and moisture and air circulation, how infectious a particular trace of the virus is, and the like. The end result is still, "avoid close contact, clean commonly used surfaces, wash your hands, don't touch your face"...but the scary stuff that has people thinking this virus lives for days or more than a week on common surfaces, always raging at full strength and capable of infecting scores of people who just look at it funny. It's a similar situation with this type of projection: it's a valuable academic study that examines the way this thing COULD proceed if specific factors X, y, Z, etc. are followed or not followed, etc., etc..
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 am

Also: things like H1N1 and SARS and MERS all had similar projections and studies when they broke out, too. And they should! It's valuable information. But please don't take it as gospel that we're doomed.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:34 am

If there's one thing I worry about most, it's the growing number of people (read: Republicans) that think more and more this is overblown and not a big deal, and they'll ignore the warnings and carry on not only as if nothing is happening, but spit in the face of danger just to own the libs. And in doing so they'll make it more difficult to overcome. I've already suffered idiots on Facebook back in Alabama ignoring any advice or info I'm trying to give them based on what I'm experiencing here in Chicago, and even got called a baby killer in the process (discussion about the house bill devolved into me being an abortion lover and fetus baby parts retailer)

Tl;Dr - I horsefeathering hate Republicans

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/17/81650187 ... eal-threat
Pollsters found that both shifts are largely driven by changes in opinion by Republicans. For instance, 72% of Republicans saw the coronavirus as a real threat in early February, but that figure has now plummeted to 40% of Republicans now believing the deadly virus is a serious menace.

And a majority of Republicans — 54% — now say the response to the coronavirus is overblown, a significant jump from last month, when about 23% of Republicans held that view
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:44 am

17 Seconds wrote:I wonder what the odds are that any of mlb/nba/nhl end up having a 2020 champion

Highly unlikely for NBA/NHL, although i heard if they came back say July 1st( which includes 2 weeks of time for teams to get back up to speed) they could finish a shortened version of the playoffs by mid August and then maybe push back next season a month or so.

Baseball probably could play an 81 game half season, NFL maybe wouldn't be affected at all
0 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:18 pm

CoolHandLuke wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

But compared to millions of deaths, it really sucks but still an improvement
0 x

Return to “Social”