CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby David » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:53 pm

The Logan wrote:
David wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I had no idea how many horsefeathering places had my email address. Holy horsefeathers.

I'm so happy that Men's Wearhouse has a COVID-19 policy and let me know because I bought a suit (two actually) in 2011.

Did you like the way you looked?

Guaranteed
4 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:07 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:10 pm

My grocery store experience.

I tried to place an online order through Walmart.com last weekend. Said I'd have to wait until Tuesday.. No big deal I figured. By Sunday night I got an email saying they couldn't fulfill my order. My wife had some ad-hoc luck at Aldi to get a few things. But based on the continued rumors that Illinois is due any day to go in shelter in place, I make the trip out to Walmart last night. We don't normally shop there but it's so much larger than our Jewel I figured I'd have better luck.

It was definitely hit or miss. Tons of produce gone, but a healthy supply of bagged apples, for example.

Fresh meat was in very short supply, but they had ground Italian sausage which is great for chili or meat sauce. Lots of frozen meat, but some of it was weird. I picked up a bag of goat for instance. Never had goat, but it had a Mediterranean bowl recipe on the back that sounded good. Covid-19 inspired dining here I come!

The shelf stable stuff was okay except for a few thing a like rice, but even that I managed to find two boxes almost hidden on a lower shelf. Lots of things like nuts and dried fruits.

Then there were just the other oddiities. All the cheap frozen pizza cleared out but plenty of Home Run Inn and some Digorno. Decent amount of spreadable butter but very few butter sticks except for this expensive "European style". And my wife wanted to do some baking while we're holed up. So she's gonna bake with fancy butter I guess.

Overall I think you just gotta go in with a flexible attitude. Certainly was not going to walk out of there feeling like I couldn't feed my family, and I definitely over-bought but tried not to clear out stuff completely. I'd have much preferred if online ordering had worked to limit my public exposure, but if this drags on I think I need to just order all the non-perishables through Amazon Prime Pantry and make quick trips to the grocery store for produce (stocked up on a decent amount of frozen meat now)
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:50 pm

I just got the call that we’re laying off 80 of our hourly employees, 12 managers, 3 people in the office and my sous chef. Most of these people have no idea how to do anything but work in a kitchen but there’s no job to go to out there. It’s all horsefeathering gross.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:56 pm

Some hopeful news

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Is ... ing-621145

Michael Levitt crunched the data on China and accurately predicted when they would see a decline. He also thinks
most people are immune to Covid-19

The Diamond Princess cruise ship represented the worst-case scenario in terms of disease spread, as the close confines of the ship offered optimal conditions for the virus to be passed among those aboard. The population density aboard the ship was the equivalent of trying to cram the whole Israeli population into an area 30 kilometers square. In addition, the ship had a central air conditioning and heating system, and communal dining rooms.

“Those are extremely comfortable conditions for the virus and still, only 20% were infected. It is a lot, but pretty similar to the infection rate of the common flu,” Levitt said. Based on those figures, his conclusion was that most people are simply naturally immune.
6 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:19 pm

David wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I had no idea how many horsefeathering places had my email address. Holy horsefeathers.

I'm so happy that Men's Wearhouse has a COVID-19 policy and let me know because I bought a suit (two actually) in 2011.

Did you turn down the other 3 free ones?
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:23 pm

I went to Trader Joe's today at 330, they had a sign posted at entry to only take 2 of any particular item. They also had crazies lined up around the block waiting for it to open on Saturday morning.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:23 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
David wrote:

Did you turn down the other 3 free ones?

This isn’t a Joseph A. Banks we’re talking about here
1 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:34 pm

wow i just got one from blockbuster
0 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:47 pm

What are you hearing about chloroquine and its effectiveness at treatment? It’s not approved by the FDA for the coronavirus, but I don’t see why they don’t approve it now? What could it hurt?
2 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:05 am

Copy and paste of a summary of one of the cruise ship research papers:

17% of the ship was infected (passengers and crew). This was a 30 day cruise, and most passengers were on board for 44+ days. Everybody was tested daily.

20% of the infected (or 140 people) reported no symptoms at all throughout the duration of their positive tests (weirdly, the majority of these people actually tested with higher levels of the disease in their bodies than those with worse symptoms)

60% of the infected (424 people) reported mild symptoms (389 of those 424 said they would not have sought medical attention from a Dr.)

That's 564 of the 706 infected that either had no or mild symptoms

Another 10% (71 people) reported more severe symptoms but but would not normally need to be hospitalized according to doctors. (31 of those 71 still said they would not have sought medical treatment)

7% of the infected needed oxygen. 2% needed ICU. 1% death rate among infected passengers. (The death rate among all passengers was .14%)

The infection rate number (R0) is almost identical to the normal flu in a community setting. But this was on a Cruise Ship. The infection rate compared to a normal flu on a cruise ship is actually lower.
1 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:06 am

a lot of the local supermarkets in brownstone brooklyn are barren at the moment; they look like an entire season's worth of supermarket sweep contestants wiped out all of the aisles. on the other hand, supermarkets that are situated in "less desirable" areas are full of food. i walked into a stop & shop near the barclays center earlier this morning and their aisles were full of pasta, rice, bread, vegetables and other assorted foods. these are items that have been LONG GONE since at least last thursday from the key food near my apartment building.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:22 am

OleMissCub wrote:Copy and paste of a summary of one of the cruise ship research papers:

17% of the ship was infected (passengers and crew). This was a 30 day cruise, and most passengers were on board for 44+ days. Everybody was tested daily.

20% of the infected (or 140 people) reported no symptoms at all throughout the duration of their positive tests (weirdly, the majority of these people actually tested with higher levels of the disease in their bodies than those with worse symptoms)

60% of the infected (424 people) reported mild symptoms (389 of those 424 said they would not have sought medical attention from a Dr.)

Another 10% (71 people) reported more severe symptoms but but would not normally need to be hospitalized according to doctors. (31 of those 71 still said they would not have sought medical treatment)

7% of the infected needed oxygen. 2% needed ICU. 1% death rate among infected passengers. (The death rate among all passengers was .14%)

The infection rate number (R0) is almost identical to the normal flu in a community setting. But this was on a Cruise Ship. The infection rate compared to a normal flu on a cruise ship is actually lower.

this is way too encouraging and seems too good to be true.
3 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:35 am

David wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:Copy and paste of a summary of one of the cruise ship research papers:

I mean, even at best it means the virus acts wildly different in different environments and we have no idea what those environments are.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:37 am

2 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:40 am

And now two members of Congress have tested positive.

There is no way this thing isn't *everywhere*. Too many statistical flukes if not.
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:54 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:And now two members of Congress have tested positive.

There is no way this thing isn't *everywhere*. Too many statistical flukes if not.

i mean congress people and celebrities travel a horsefeathers load and are often surrounded by huge groups of people
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:56 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
David wrote:

I mean, even at best it means the virus acts wildly different in different environments and we have no idea what those environments are.

to me it's more an indication that there's already considerable immunity in the population
1 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:24 am

uhhhhhhhhhhhh

0 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 am

David wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
David wrote:

to me it's more an indication that there's already considerable immunity in the population

Is it possible that it likes certain blood types and dislikes others?

Forgive me, as i know next to nothing about virus behavior.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:33 am

I think it’s been “everywhere” for a while. Buddy of mine is head of the ER at one of the bigger hospitals in Jackson, Miss and he said he’s almost certain that he’s likely been treating Covid-19 since December. He said since the New Year they’ve had several dozen people come into the ER with flu like symptoms who tested negative for flu.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:38 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not the slightest chance that's accidental. But it is hilarious.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:39 am

OleMissCub wrote:

I think it’s been “everywhere” for a while. Buddy of mine is head of the ER at one of the bigger hospitals in Jackson, Miss and he said he’s almost certain that he’s likely been treating Covid-19 since December. He said since the New Year they’ve had several dozen people come into the ER with flu like symptoms who tested negative for flu.

It's all anecdotal, but there's been talk like that from pretty much every major city from medical professionals about people coming in since at least as far back as early January with flu and/or bronchitis-like symptoms, but then testing negative for both of them. Personally, I'm convinced you can push back the window for everywhere around the world at least a good two months as to when this started, China included.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:39 am

Brian707 wrote:
David wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

I seem to recall that one of the previous viruses in the family had an affinity for A, B and AB but O seemed to have a natural resistance. Which is important because different countries have very different blood type demographics.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:40 am

Brian707 wrote:
David wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

i have no idea what factors determine the differences but i know certain individuals just have immunity relative to others.
0 x

Return to “Social”