CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:41 am

Brian707 wrote:
David wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Is it possible that it likes certain blood types and dislikes others?

Forgive me, as i know next to nothing about virus behavior.

Chalk it up as yet another theory that they just can't figure out for sure, but the thought is definitely out there:

https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/typ ... 19-052532/

Chinese researchers took blood samples from more than 2,100 patients infected with the novel coronavirus in Wuhan and Shenzhen — two Chinese cities most affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

After comparing the blood types with those of healthy populations, the researchers noticed that those with blood type A were more susceptible to infection and had a higher mortality rate than other blood types. In contrast, those with blood type O were less likely to get infected and when they did, they were less likely to have the disease progress into severe or critical stages that might kill them, compared to non-O blood types.

These findings applied to all genders and age groups. Although the results are preliminary, they warrant further investigation and might potentially have important clinical implications given the current crisis we’re experiencing.

A more academic-y breakdown:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20031096v1
3 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:07 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:And now two members of Congress have tested positive.

There is no way this thing isn't *everywhere*. Too many statistical flukes if not.

I think it’s been “everywhere” for a while. Buddy of mine is head of the ER at one of the bigger hospitals in Jackson, Miss and he said he’s almost certain that he’s likely been treating Covid-19 since December. He said since the New Year they’ve had several dozen people come into the ER with flu like symptoms who tested negative for flu.

Our whole house was varying degrees of sick (as usual, my wife and 2 kids had it worse than me) for most of December. And it felt like everyone around us was, too. My wife is convinced it's been floating around for a while.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:47 am

So I got diagnosed with an upper respiratory virus today.

Wife was sick Friday. Daughter has been coughing like it's her job. Yesterday afternoon I started coughing, then came down with a fever later in the evening.

Doc said the Illinois Department of Public Health is the one making the calls on who can get tested. And unless you've been in contact with somebody with a confirmed case or you have traveled from one of the hotbed countries, you can't get tested.

That said, it seems like a pretty minor case. I'm running at like 95% of my capacity right now. It'd be real easy to run around spreading it.

As is, I'm now self-isolating. Though I was pretty much doing that anyways. Funny thing is that since it wasn't confirmed, the doc just said 7 days of self-isolating or 72 hours without any symptoms. Not sure where that came from. Either way, I think I'm calling it an even two weeks just to be safe.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:48 am

Andy wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

There is no way this thing isn't *everywhere*. Too many statistical flukes if not.

I think it’s been “everywhere” for a while. Buddy of mine is head of the ER at one of the bigger hospitals in Jackson, Miss and he said he’s almost certain that he’s likely been treating Covid-19 since December. He said since the New Year they’ve had several dozen people come into the ER with flu like symptoms who tested negative for flu.

Our whole house was varying degrees of sick (as usual, my wife and 2 kids had it worse than me) for most of December. And it felt like everyone around us was, too. My wife is convinced it's been floating around for a while.

Our pediatrician told us about some study. Apparently in a family with two parents and two small kids, at least one person is sick approximately 29 weeks a year. So literally more than half the time.

It definitely tracks with my experience since putting our daughter in day care.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:53 am

David wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I had no idea how many horsefeathering places had my email address. Holy horsefeathers.

I'm so happy that Men's Wearhouse has a COVID-19 policy and let me know because I bought a suit (two actually) in 2011.

David in his two suits:

14 x
In Theo we trust.

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:09 am

Oak Park has ordered shelter in place March 20 to April 3
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:38 am

Andy wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

Late January (Monday after Kobe died) I went to bed and had a weird headache in the back of my head, I was at a bar trivia thing with some friends and had a few drinks and just thought it was from the booze, when I woke up in the morning I had some sinus pressure and a little face/chest congestion but nothing debilitating (basically figured the headache must have been a sinus pressure thing that I was feeling the night before and it “moved” to my face/sinus), took a mucinex and Tylenol flu/cold and went on my day (no fever), day went mostly normal and went to bed early after some more Tylenol cold/flu and mucinex that night, woke up at like 2-3AM with the chills (no fever) and was up for maybe 3-4 hours with that, finally was able to fall asleep and slept until like noon and woke up feeling basically fine other then a little worn out and some very minor congestion. The fatigue and congestion lasted for a few more days and was a 3-4 day thing but nothing that really kept me from doing normal things. Nobody I know I was around, around this time (family and friends the days leading up and after) got sick. So yeah I definitely had some sort of flu recently too.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:48 am

Trump presser set for tomorrow at 10, presumably to announce the hydroxyclorquin “cure”. I won’t even care when he takes credit for it. Let’s get this show on the road.

0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:29 am

Rob wrote:
Andy wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

Our pediatrician told us about some study. Apparently in a family with two parents and two small kids, at least one person is sick approximately 29 weeks a year. So literally more than half the time.

It definitely tracks with my experience since putting our daughter in day care.

We've got a household with 8 children 10 and under. I literally cannot remember the last time no one was sick.
1 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:03 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:We've got a household with 8 children 10 and under. I literally cannot remember the last time no one was sick.

Spoiler: show
3 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:08 am

OleMissCub wrote:Trump presser set for tomorrow at 10, presumably to announce the hydroxyclorquin “cure”. I won’t even care when he takes credit for it. Let’s get this show on the road.

I hope I’m wrong, but after watching the Rigano clip on Tucker Carlson, he seems shady. Proclaiming a 100% cure rate and tweeting that covid-19 will be over soon.
Last edited by Wilson A2000 on Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:18 am

0 x

MWV
All-Star

Postby MWV » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:46 am

OleMissCub wrote:https://twitter.com/doranimated/status/1239903560390725634?s=21

Facial expression sequence:
-furrowed brow
-smile
-frown
2 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:00 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:I went to Trader Joe's today at 330, they had a sign posted at entry to only take 2 of any particular item. They also had crazies lined up around the block waiting for it to open on Saturday morning.

Wait. Why were people lined up for opening on Saturday when they were already open on Tuesday?
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:05 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:I went to Trader Joe's today at 330, they had a sign posted at entry to only take 2 of any particular item. They also had crazies lined up around the block waiting for it to open on Saturday morning.

Wait. Why were people lined up for opening on Saturday when they were already open on Tuesday?

Two separate thoughts. They open at 8 and last Saturday there were 50 people lined up waiting for them to open the doors presumably for the 8 rolls of toilet paper they stock
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:39 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Trump presser set for tomorrow at 10, presumably to announce the hydroxyclorquin “cure”. I won’t even care when he takes credit for it. Let’s get this show on the road.

Can someone who knows better than me explain why an antibiotic would be thought to be of any benefit with a viral infection here?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:44 pm

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

Here’s an ELI5: The researchers sequenced the genome of a number of COVID19 viruses from a series of infected patients from Singapore. They found that the viral genome had a large deletion that was also witnessed in past epidemics of related viruses (MERS, SARS), especially later in the epidemic. The form with the deletion was less infective, and has been attributed to the dying out of these past epidemics. In other words, COVID19 seems to be following the same evolutionary trajectory.

Well why is that? Why would a virus evolve to be less infective? Seems kind of counterintuitive, right? The authors hypothesize that it has to do with the selective pressure from the human adaptive immune system. In other words, that region that is deleted happens to have a high level of antigenicity (human antibodies like to target it), which means its presence leads to lower levels of survival of the virus. So the removal allows the virus to be less detectible at the expense of a lower infectivity/replication rate. So in the evolutionary arms race between the human adaptive immune system and the virus, the immune system is basically driving the virus into a corner. This is really good news as it suggests that as this pandemic proceeds, the virus will (likely?) tend to evolve into a less virulent strain, and so fizzle our eventually.

https://np.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comment ... singapore/
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:47 pm

David wrote:

Can someone who knows better than me explain why an antibiotic would be thought to be of any benefit with a viral infection here?

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/chloroqui ... d=69664561

Malaria is a disease that is caused by a parasite, unlike COVID-19. Nevertheless, laboratory studies show chloroquine is effective at preventing as well as treating the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, a close cousin of COVID-19.

Given chloroquine’s effectiveness in treating SARS, scientists have investigated if it will be an effective treatment against the new coronavirus responsible for COVID-19. So far, the initial trials are encouraging.

"There is evidence that chloroquine is effective when they looked at SARS in vitro with primate cells," said Dr. Len Horovitz, a pulmonologist and internist at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. "The theory of the experiment with primate cells was that chloroquine could be for preventing viral infection or as a treatment for viral infection after it had occurred. In vitro in these primate cells, there was evidence that viral particles were significantly reduced when chloroquine was used."

Both the virus that causes SARS and the virus responsible for COVID-19 belong to the same overarching family of coronaviruses. Researchers in China discovered that the protein spikes on the surface of the COVID-19 virus are similar to the protein spikes found on the surface of the SARS virus.

People become infected when those protein spikes bind to special receptors on the outside of human cells. Chloroquine works by interfering with those receptors, which may interfere with the virus’s ability to bind to cells.

"The way that it worked against SARS was by preventing of the attachment of the virus to the cells. Chloroquine interfered with the attachment to that receptor on the cell membrane surface," Horovitz said. "So it’s disrupting a lock and key kind of mechanism of attachment."
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 pm

I've also seen reports/discussions that talk about combining that drug with the HIV drug AZT seems to also allow high level zinc infusions on the cell level, which has shown to be very successful at battling the virus.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:56 pm

Too much optimistic sounding news for one morning, my quarantined brain can't handle it.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:58 pm

Let's say this is all true, and they've found the correct drug cocktail to effectively treat this virus. What's the turn around time on mass-producing it and making it available on a global scale?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:02 pm

Derwood wrote:Let's say this is all true, and they've found the correct drug cocktail to effectively treat this virus. What's the turn around time on mass-producing it and making it available on a global scale?

I am a dummy when it comes to this stuff, but this wikipedia paragraph would seem to indicate high volume production is probably not a huge logistical barrier comparatively speaking. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxychloroquine

Hydroxychloroquine was approved for medical use in the United States in 1955.[1] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the safest and most effective medicines needed in a health system.[5] The wholesale cost in the developing world is about US$4.65 per month as of 2015, when used for rheumatoid arthritis or lupus.[6] In the United States the wholesale cost of a month of treatment is about US$25 as of 2020.[7] In the United Kingdom this dose costs the NHS about £ 5.15.[8] In 2017, it was the 128th most prescribed medication in the United States with more than five million prescriptions.
2 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:25 pm

The thing I don't have a good way to wrap my head around(again, assuming that the positive results translate to real world application) is how this potentially changes the collective decision-making framework. If we have an effective treatment and those who do require hospitalization are getting discharged faster, at what point is the curve flattened by that without our collective action?
1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:45 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:The thing I don't have a good way to wrap my head around(again, assuming that the positive results translate to real world application) is how this potentially changes the collective decision-making framework. If we have an effective treatment and those who do require hospitalization are getting discharged faster, at what point is the curve flattened by that without our collective action?

Good question.

If the most at risk people can now be treated effectively and thus eliminate the scary fatality rate, isn’t this now no different than the swine flu or something like that i.e. something that many people will get sick from but almost all will survive it. If that’s the case, when do we get back to work and the country go back to normal?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:47 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Well why is that? Why would a virus evolve to be less infective? Seems kind of counterintuitive, right? The authors hypothesize that it has to do with the selective pressure from the human adaptive immune system.

https://np.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comment ... singapore/

I get what they are trying to relate, but I hate when reporters use words like this. Viruses "evolve" to be less infective all the damn time. They are confusing the mechanism of mutation with evolution and natural selection.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “Social”