CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

MidoreX
All-Star

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby MidoreX » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:22 pm

Tim wrote:
Rob wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:
I'm sorry you can't get tested. Hope it's nothing and that you and your family are safe. It must be very scary to be in your situation.

Yeah, the stress of not knowing is as bad as anything. I keep seeing all these stories of the illness taking a sudden turn for the worse, even after you seem to be getting better. I've had a few relatively-sleepless nights worrying over my wife and daughter already. I imagine there are a few more yet to come. Or of course, I could be the one waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air.

It is absolutely and unequivocably inexcusable that the federal government didn't do anything to make testing more readily available. They sat on their hands about this for months, and it's going to kill a lot of people before it's all said and done.

Yeah, I'm on day 9. I've had the cough, chest issues, periodic light fever. I'm feeling a lot better today, though. I've been isolating even within my own home because so far nobody else is showing any symptoms. It absolutely infuriates me not to be able to get tested.

If nothing else, I'd love to see a full investigation launched of all of Trump's cronies (and all the rest of government insiders) to see who started dumping prior to everything going sideways. They couldn't get mobilized to make more PPE (personal protective equipment) or tests, but they sure as hell had time to dump their stocks. Throw them all in jail.

Mine is kinda weird, haven't coughed once and haven't shown even the slightest bit of fever or fatigue... Started off early last week with sinus irritation and a slight headache but no real congestion, with periods of light post nasal drip. Then on Wednesday I developed some mild shortness of breath and associated chest discomfort, not nearly enough to where I'm wheezing or gasping or anything, but enough to make me really feel it when I get back from taking the dog for a walk or lugging something upstairs. The sinus issues all dissipated a day or so after the breathing issues started, and here we are 5 days later and the mild shortness of breath hasn't gotten better or worse, it's just there... With absolutely NO other symptoms.

Hope you guys are both feeling better soon!
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:36 pm

I'm not quite sure what to think of the symptoms I've been displaying over the last week+. For the first 5 days of that, I had a slight fever, and during late afternoon, I'd develop a headache that worked its way into an ache running across my back from shoulder to shoulder.

Every day, I've also run out of breath doing the simplest things like walking down the stairs or walking down the driveway. It's odd also that sometimes, I feel like I have kinda-sorta heartburn, but sometimes not, like an air pocket or something. Weird. I don't really have a cough, and no fever for a couple days now as well as no headaches the past two days. Maybe I'm fighting this off. The shortness of breath and heartburn-like feeling in my chest continues though.

A friend in San Francisco texted me earlier in the week that the day before, he thought this MIL was going to die on his couch. She had recently moved there from Michigan to be closer to her grandkids. Apparently, she is doing much better today.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:46 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:I'm not quite sure what to think of the symptoms I've been displaying over the last week+. For the first 5 days of that, I had a slight fever, and during late afternoon, I'd develop a headache that worked its way into an ache running across my back from shoulder to shoulder.

Every day, I've also run out of breath doing the simplest things like walking down the stairs or walking down the driveway. It's odd also that sometimes, I feel like I have kinda-sorta heartburn, but sometimes not, like an air pocket or something. Weird. I don't really have a cough, and no fever for a couple days now as well as no headaches the past two days. Maybe I'm fighting this off. The shortness of breath and heartburn-like feeling in my chest continues though.

A friend in San Francisco texted me earlier in the week that the day before, he thought this MIL was going to die on his couch. She had recently moved there from Michigan to be closer to her grandkids. Apparently, she is doing much better today.

some of those symptoms sound like stress . . . not meaning to make light of it though. Hopefully you are on the way back to good health.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:54 pm

stitchface wrote:some of those symptoms sound like stress . . . not meaning to make light of it though.

I think that's an important reminder. I've had a tickle in my chest that causes a light cough every now and then for just over a week. No other symptoms, and if I pay attention I notice that when I'm focused there's zero issue and only when I'm reading/thinking about the state of things or otherwise letting my mind wander does it show up. I don't mean to say that it's impossible I have it but with no/light symptoms(I'm behaving the same either way), but with everyone on such high alert and such common symptoms you can definitely get in your own head about something being wrong.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:06 pm

For other countries that have done similar 'shutdowns' like much of the US has done, have they been stricter about enforcing this than it seems like we have?

Really disturbs me when I see the stories of people flocking to the beaches in LA area, or talking to my coworkers in SLC area who have been going out and doing normal things like going to Home Depot or having friends over, etc. They are sort of half-ass practicing social distancing. We've seen countries turn things around, but I just feel like we're not doing enough right now to be in that boat. And the longer this drags out or the worse it gets, the worse the economy is going to suffer. I hate to do anything that pushes the boundaries of our "freedom" but the US economy has such a dramatic impact on the global economy that we need to get our horsefeathers together otherwise we will definitely see a depression.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:17 pm

My older daughter (17) has had a part time job playing various Disney princesses for birthday parties. She happened to have the Elsa, Anna and Ariel costumes here when everything started closing.

She decided to dress up as Elsa today and sing to kids in the neighborhood. She has a bluetooth speaker with music, and she is standing on the sidewalk or driveways and singing to the little kids in their houses. It's very sweet
16 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:42 pm

UMFan83 wrote:For other countries that have done similar 'shutdowns' like much of the US has done, have they been stricter about enforcing this than it seems like we have?

Really disturbs me when I see the stories of people flocking to the beaches in LA area, or talking to my coworkers in SLC area who have been going out and doing normal things like going to Home Depot or having friends over, etc. They are sort of half-ass practicing social distancing. We've seen countries turn things around, but I just feel like we're not doing enough right now to be in that boat. And the longer this drags out or the worse it gets, the worse the economy is going to suffer. I hate to do anything that pushes the boundaries of our "freedom" but the US economy has such a dramatic impact on the global economy that we need to get our horsefeathers together otherwise we will definitely see a depression.

not sure the answer to that question but it reminds me what a german friend of mine once said - "In the US, people fear the government and trust corporations. In Europe, it's the opposite."
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:48 pm

Derwood wrote:My older daughter (17) has had a part time job playing various Disney princesses for birthday parties. She happened to have the Elsa, Anna and Ariel costumes here when everything started closing.

She decided to dress up as Elsa today and sing to kids in the neighborhood. She has a bluetooth speaker with music, and she is standing on the sidewalk or driveways and singing to the little kids in their houses. It's very sweet

Photo taken by one of the moms in the neighborhood
14 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:50 pm

I know a nurse who on Saturday night had a party with her fellow nurses. Instead of wine they drank Corona beer. If there is one sect of the population who I feel should be allowed to break the rules on social distancing, its nurses. They're pretty much f'ed regardless.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:04 pm

It looks like GOP is already ramping up to choose the economy over millions of lives.
0 x
Win it for Fred

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:14 pm

Derwood wrote:My older daughter (17) has had a part time job playing various Disney princesses for birthday parties. She happened to have the Elsa, Anna and Ariel costumes here when everything started closing.

My daughter would go crazy for this
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:25 pm

UMFan83 wrote:It looks like GOP is already ramping up to choose the economy over millions of lives.

Both sides are being little horsefeathers over this, they need to get their horsefeathers together and stop playing the games and get something done.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:31 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Both sides are being...

9 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:55 pm

UMFan83 wrote:It looks like GOP is already ramping up to choose the economy over millions of lives.

I don't envy anyone having to make these types of decisions right now. It's really a lose-lose situation whichever course they take.
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:11 pm

where the hell is mojo right now

i need his common sense optimistic not-entirely-doom-bonery tone
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:12 pm

David wrote:where the hell is mojo right now

maybe hes on a respirator
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:15 pm

David wrote:where the hell is mojo right now

Now we know the answer, it took a pandemic for Mojo and Kyle to be the calming, optimistic, non-doom boners on the board.
6 x
Screw Pitchers

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:17 pm

He's supposed to be moving his gf from Chicago at some point around now iirc
2 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:18 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:He's supposed to be moving his gf from Chicago at some point around now iirc

ah that's right
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:31 pm

David wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:He's supposed to be moving his gf from Chicago at some point around now iirc

ah that's right

The Mojo rant/post about moving his GF during a pandemic and essentially a national shutdown is going to rival any Bum thread.
6 x
Screw Pitchers

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:38 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
David wrote:

ah that's right

The Mojo rant/post about moving his GF during a pandemic and essentially a national shutdown is going to rival any Bum thread.

If only Tree were still here to make an MS Paint about it
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:45 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to butcher "everyone's a gangster until the bullet's start flying" to express my belief that it's *real* easy to talk "economics > pandemic" right now when the wave is just beginning to hit. In two weeks when we've got live video of Americans dying in tent hospitals with their loved ones getting last visits over iPhones delivered by nurses in hazmat suits, we'll see how they feel. Of course, their dithering in the meantime is going to cost lives.

But they're not wrong that the economic cost is going to be absolutely horrific. Anecdotally, three of my favorite local restaurants have already given up on staying alive on take-out and delivery and shut down. Who knows if they'll come back.

On the epidemic, the big problem right now is just how much we don't know. We don't know basically anything that we actually need to know, like how many cases we have or how much our various options reduces transmission.

I was saying a week ago that all we could do is sit back and wait to see how much damage was done before we reacted. The news out of New York makes it seem like "a whole hecking lot." And New York is just the place that's testing, most of the major metros are probably in pretty bad shape. But I still no reason to think that social distancing doesn't work, even when only a fraction of the country is doing it.

The big things that I've learned/seen the last few days, one positive and one negative:

1) Negative, I'm really worried about interstate travel. You can spend a month clearing out a hotspot, but that doesn't help as much if you get 20 new seeding events from out of town the next week. A single case reintroduced into the community isn't scary, but having it perpetually brought back in is. You know how right now we all wish we'd started social distancing a month ago? Two months from now, I think we all wish we'd been more aggressive at isolating the various parts of the US from each other.

2) Positive, it really looks like treatment for the disease is improving rapidly as medical science gets caught up. Even in China, there was a vastly different death rate for cases resolved before Jan. 31 and cases that came later. It's not unusual for estimates of viral fatality rates to shrink considerably as time goes on, and this is one of the reasons why. And reducing time spent in the hospital with these drugs would make a huge difference in how fast and to what degree our medical systems get overwhelmed.
2 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:57 pm

Interesting how China and Italy both had pretty strict lockdowns and both started to see a decrease in cases after roughly 12 days.
0 x
Win it for Fred

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:19 pm

Trump is making every effort to assure the world that America will be open again very soon. We're all horsefeathers.
0 x
Win it for Fred

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:24 pm

how much beer is too much beer when working from home? asking for a friend
0 x

Return to “Social”