CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:03 am

What the hell, Michigan???

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opini ... 922272001/

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs literally threatened all doctors and pharmacists in the state who prescribe or dispense hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19.

The agency’s March 24 letter warns physicians and pharmacists of professional consequences for the prescribing of hydroxychloroquine (and chloroquine). Beyond the rational recommendation against hoarding as production of this medication needs to be ramped up, the letter deviates into open threats of “administrative action” against the licenses of doctors that prescribe hydroxychloroquine.

The letter also instructs pharmacists to ignore physician orders for this medication. Even worse, the letter indicates health care providers are “required to report” their fellow physicians who are prescribing these medications.
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:20 am

OleMissCub wrote:What the hell, Michigan???

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs literally threatened all doctors and pharmacists in the state who prescribe or dispense hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19.

The agency’s March 24 letter warns physicians and pharmacists of professional consequences for the prescribing of hydroxychloroquine (and chloroquine). Beyond the rational recommendation against hoarding as production of this medication needs to be ramped up, the letter deviates into open threats of “administrative action” against the licenses of doctors that prescribe hydroxychloroquine.

The letter also instructs pharmacists to ignore physician orders for this medication. Even worse, the letter indicates health care providers are “required to report” their fellow physicians who are prescribing these medications.

Pharmacist here. I believe Michigan is saying (in a not so clear way) that they don’t want community pharmacies filling RXs for hydroxychloroquine. This I tend to agree with. At this time it should be reserved for patients in hospitals that have more severe symptoms until they can both ramp up production and demonstrate safety and efficacy in more mild cases. I don’t believe they are stating that clinical/hospital pharmacists should reject orders in a hospital setting.
2 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:21 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:

Pharmacist here. I believe Michigan is saying (in a not so clear way) that they don’t want community pharmacies filling RXs for hydroxychloroquine. This I tend to agree with. At this time it should be reserved for patients in hospitals that have more severe symptoms until they can both ramp up production and demonstrate safety and efficacy in more mild cases. I don’t believe they are stating that clinical/hospital pharmacists should reject orders in a hospital setting.

Regardless of the pharmacy part, what about punishing doctors who prescribe it for Covid19?
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:23 am

OleMissCub wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:

Regardless of the pharmacy part, what about punishing doctors who prescribe it for Covid19?

Again, I think they are talking about an outpatient setting. I agree.
1 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:35 am

you will never guess who has the corona. i'll give you a hint though.

1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:16 pm

Desperately needed
5 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:57 pm

Derwood wrote:Did you know that teaching courses online that weren't designed to be taught online is an enormous pain in the ass? Because it its.

This is exactly what my gf is doing for her job, designing online curriculum for courses that suddenly have to go remote. She's spending every evening teaching Tulane professors how use them, many of whom barely know how to use a computer. I think we're going to see lots of changes in how we do things even after all this passes.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:59 pm

NOLA wrote:
Derwood wrote:Did you know that teaching courses online that weren't designed to be taught online is an enormous pain in the ass? Because it its.

This is exactly what my gf is doing for her job, designing online curriculum for courses that suddenly have to go remote. She's spending every evening teaching Tulane professors how use them, many of whom barely know how to use a computer. I think we're going to see lots of changes in how we do things even after all this passes.

It's the changing of the courses mid-stream that is creating the problem. Students had half of a semester of learning one way, and now are having to completely switch how things are working. It's hard for the professors, but far worse for the students
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:23 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:

Nevada did similar to fight hoarding.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:24 pm

Add references to “WuFlu” and “Chinese Flu” to the pantheon of quick ways to determine whether I totally dismiss someone out of hand. It has overtaken “it’s Merry Christmas, not Happy Holidays!” or saying “DemocRat” even when proper usage dictates using “Democratic” as the most convenient way to cull the herd.
0 x

MidoreX
All-Star

Postby MidoreX » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:42 pm

2 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:18 pm

What site are you all using to track the pandemic? I'm using worldometers
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:21 pm

MidoreX wrote:

It's like if someone tossed Trump a wide open alley-oop and instead he swats the ball into the stands and pounds his chest.
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:22 pm

Soul wrote:What site are you all using to track the pandemic? I'm using worldometers

i can't even imagine wanting to do such a thing.
4 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:29 pm

David wrote:
Soul wrote:What site are you all using to track the pandemic? I'm using worldometers

OK. I don't view it as wrong to want to know where the disease is spreading, who is testing the most, who is getting it under control, why, etc. You really aren't watching coverage or anything?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:35 pm

Soul wrote:
David wrote:

OK. I don't view it as wrong to want to know where the disease is spreading, who is testing the most, who is getting it under control, why, etc. You really aren't watching coverage or anything?

i'm obsessing over it as it is and reading every article i can about what is being done in response and what findings are being made with treatment.

that said, the last thing i can imagine wanting to do is watch a number that is inevitably going up both because of spread and because of an extremely late and rapid increase in testing. i'm already freaked the hell out enough. no thanks.

i'm sure it needs to be out there though to scare some idiots into action. it aint for me though. my sanity could personally do without the one by one reports on individual deaths too but i understand why that's out there too.

it would be nice if we could curate some of this stuff out. as much as i try not to let it, the extra alarmist stuff can get to me really bad, but i don't want to check out completely. i want to be informed and i like to read about the actual actions being taken and what is being learned about the virus.

that's a long way from having any desire to watch a number (with a ton of contextual factors stripped) that i know is going to go up keep going up.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:44 pm

4 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:51 pm

More action, fewer words. Awesome job.
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:59 pm

OleMissCub wrote:this is an actual quote

That was yesterday. This is today.

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:48 pm

1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:55 am

Now we’re talking

3 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:56 am

OleMissCub wrote:Now we’re talking

So don't the negative results come in about five minutes and one second?
3 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:03 am

OleMissCub wrote:Now we’re talking

1 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:08 am

horsefeathers. A close friend of mine, who has been dealing with some health issues herself, lost her dad about 2 weeks ago after a sudden (not implying it was corona at all) bout of rally bad health since last fall, and today she found out her close family friend who she considered like a second father and a godfather to her kids is in the hospital and on a ventilator due to corona. She had spoken too him recently because he missed the funeral because he wasn't feeling well.

Rough several weeks for her. Ugh.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:16 am

I knew last week that this week would look like this. The numbers start to fly up as we expand testing and realize how bad we let it get. The deaths start piling up in America, which always feels different than deaths in other places. The pictures of field hospitals being set up. But dang this is rough to see it happening. And next week will probably be worse.

We really, really waited a week too long.
0 x

Return to “Social”