CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Rob
Superstar

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:22 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I knew last week that this week would look like this. The numbers start to fly up as we expand testing and realize how bad we let it get. The deaths start piling up in America, which always feels different than deaths in other places. The pictures of field hospitals being set up. But dang this is rough to see it happening. And next week will probably be worse.

We really, really waited a week too long.

We are still waiting. There is nothing like a national lockdown. Just a half-assed plea to stay inside for a few days - but not too long, because this isn’t much worse than the flu and we need to save the economy, you know.
3 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:25 am

On February 26, Trump said, "The 15 cases within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero." and "We're going very substantially down, not up."

On March 27 there are over 100,000 (known) cases
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:25 am

Rob wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I knew last week that this week would look like this. The numbers start to fly up as we expand testing and realize how bad we let it get. The deaths start piling up in America, which always feels different than deaths in other places. The pictures of field hospitals being set up. But dang this is rough to see it happening. And next week will probably be worse.

We are still waiting. There is nothing like a national lockdown. Just a half-assed plea to stay inside for a few days - but not too long, because this isn’t much worse than the flu and we need to save the economy, you know.

Personally, I'm still not convinced that a full lockdown is the only path to defeating the epidemic. It's the quickest, cleanest way that leads to the most lives saved. But lesser measures *should* be enough to shrink the number of cases eventually.

But that's just a guess because we don't really have the data.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:29 am

Rob wrote:

what we're doing is far from insignificant. i wouldn't call it half assed at all (well, at the local level, that is). it's going to make a substantial difference.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:34 am

David wrote:
Rob wrote:

what we're doing is far from insignificant. i wouldn't call it half assed at all (well, at the local level, that is). it's going to make a substantial difference.

The states are doing more, but not enough. The Illinois statute is drawn so broadly that basically anything can be construed as an essential service.

[expletive] boomers won’t pay attention to any of this without specific directives. Even then, it’s tough with Herr [expletive] pushing misinformation at the national level.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:54 am

Rob wrote:
David wrote:
Rob wrote:

The states are doing more, but not enough. The Illinois statute is drawn so broadly that basically anything can be construed as an essential service.

[expletive] boomers won’t pay attention to any of this without specific directives. Even then, it’s tough with Herr [expletive] pushing misinformation at the national level.

I had to go out today and it seemed like traffic was only about 1/3 less what it normally is on a Friday at 5pm. Too many businesses are open that really shouldn't be essential. I don't think the stay at home order in Illinois and most other places went far enough. It will help, but not as much as it should have.

My wife is a paralegal has the capability to work from home at at least a 95% capacity that she would in the office and her bosses continue to make her come in. Its all overblown, the media is over hyping it yada yada they say. It infuriates me to no end.
2 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:56 am

David wrote:
Rob wrote:

It’s 1/4 assed, at best. The most influential voice in the country has spent a month saying it wasn’t a real issue that required a real response.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:57 am

Brian707 wrote:
Rob wrote:
David wrote:

I had to go out today and it seemed like traffic was only about 1/3 less what it normally is on a Friday at 5pm. Too many businesses are open that really shouldn't be essential. I don't think the stay at home order in Illinois and most other places went far enough. It will help, but not as much as it should have.

My wife is a paralegal has the capability to work from home at at least a 95% capacity that she would in the office and her bosses continue to make her come in. Its all overblown, the media is over hyping it yada yada they say. It infuriates me to no end.

i've consistently seen traffic being wayyyyyyyyy less than 1/3 less. weekday morning drives from the north burbs on the kennedy that would be 70 min+ to go like 12 or 13 miles are 80 mph straight shots

i work in a construction related business so i've still had to leave home for work
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:33 am

Belgium’s lockdown has been extended until 05/03 (well officially until 04/19 with an automatic option, but that is just for show).
I had to go to Brussels yesterday to pick up some masks for my gf (she has a nursing tour in the weekends) and the city was almost empty with very few cars or people outside. Really strange on a sunny spring Friday.
Covid19 has come too close for comfort: her mother is in hospital and has tested positive. She has relatively mild symptoms but is in her eighties, so fingers crossed.
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:35 pm

0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:51 pm

Those tests are excellent news. Now all we need to do is wait... fort Donald Trump to tell them they don't need to send out that many because the Governors hurt his feelings
0 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:18 pm

The Army Corps of Engineers is planning on turning McCormick Place into a 3,000 bed hospital by the end of April. They want 500 beds available in a week.
2 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Brian707 wrote:
Rob wrote:
David wrote:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavi ... story.html

It's significant, but I don't disagree that we either need more people to take it seriously or more restrictions (probably the latter bc people suck).
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:45 pm

Wilson A2000 wrote:The Army Corps of Engineers is planning on turning McCormick Place into a 3,000 bed hospital by the end of April. They want 500 beds available in a week.

Smart move. If it gets worse and they need to expand it shouldn't be a problem. McCormick Place is stupidly huge.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:25 pm

David wrote:https://twitter.com/JonErlichman/status/1243885582473990144?s=20

I worked there for 15 years. Fantastic company. Good for them. Great for society
1 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:00 pm

Wilson A2000 wrote:The Army Corps of Engineers is planning on turning McCormick Place into a 3,000 bed hospital by the end of April. They want 500 beds available in a week.

I just read the directive on this (the nationwide directive). Good news.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:47 pm

Tried to tell a friend in Alabama who was pumping out the old "This is all media hysteria and the symptoms aren't that bad" that saying that is not responsible and, predictably, he got SUPER offended and went on to talk about how good he's been at supporting his community and taking extra steps to be safe about the virus at his restaurant (which makes saying it's not a big deal kind of hypocritical) and he got me with the old "The flu killed 30,000 Americans in 2018-2019, WHERE WAS YOUR RAGE THEN" chess move. God forbid I want people to take this seriously.

Meanwhile, my friend in LA tested positive for COVID-19, and so did several people he was with when he got it. He already went through it and thinks he's come out of it, but won't know for sure. Said he got all the symptoms. Hit him for several days. Some others only had symptoms for a couple days. Another person had it bad. 104 fever for several days.
1 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:04 pm

Looks like Jim Edmonds has it.

0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:34 pm

So they’ve now sent faulty equipment to the Netherlands, Spain and Czech Republic and also all the equipment (masks and ventilators) Elon sourced for the US came from them.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:52 pm

Cuomo just said that NY is testing at a higher per capita rate than china and s korea. i would not have guessed.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:55 pm

David wrote:Cuomo just said that NY is testing at a higher per capita rate than china and s korea. i would not have guessed.

Would make sense I suppose since Thursday or so we had the most cases but also the most testing done world wide, IIRC, and NY is the epicenter. Good news we are finally testing so much and have the capacity.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:04 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
David wrote:Cuomo just said that NY is testing at a higher per capita rate than china and s korea. i would not have guessed.

Would make sense I suppose since Thursday or so we had the most cases but also the most testing done world wide, IIRC, and NY is the epicenter. Good news we are finally testing so much and have the capacity.

well not if you adjust per capita (for the whole country)
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:08 pm

David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

well not if you adjust per capita (for the whole country)

Got it, my bad
0 x
Screw Pitchers

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:20 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:Looks like Jim Edmonds has it.

fullback. That looks rough gl Jim
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:07 pm

If that's true, it would explain why their numbers are so much higher.
1 x

Return to “Social”