CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

NOLA
All-Star

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby NOLA » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:45 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:https://twitter.com/andishehnouraee/status/1245513642319151110

you kidding me? this has been widely known for at least a month.

Did they not issue a stay at home order because of his ignorance? If so, he should literally be jailed for that.

That is...stunning. Not sure which is worse, the fact that he would not know this until yesterday or the fact that he would offer that as a viable reason for not imposing shelter in place before now.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:18 pm

NOLA wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:https://twitter.com/andishehnouraee/status/1245513642319151110

Did they not issue a stay at home order because of his ignorance? If so, he should literally be jailed for that.

That is...stunning. Not sure which is worse, the fact that he would not know this until yesterday or the fact that he would offer that as a viable reason for not imposing shelter in place before now.

I know suing the government is basically impossible, but this type of crap is the exact sort of thing that the entire state should be filing a class action lawsuit for
1 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Intersection of this fellow' intellect and common sense is an empty set.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:39 pm

NOLA wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:

It's an obvious lie.

All conservatives will probably be fine with it.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:01 pm

i love the expression in her eyes, where you can see she's like "ohhhhhhhhh crap this guy isn't the usual right-wing stooge, what do i do here"
5 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:04 pm

That expression in her eyes is her having a sweaty, 52-year-old man yelling in her ear to cut bait
3 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:11 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Awful:

https://news.avclub.com/r-i-p-adam-schl ... 1842624832

Adam Schlesinger, the award-winning songwriter, producer, and co-founder of the rock band Fountains Of Wayne, has died of complications from coronavirus. Variety has confirmed the performer’s death. Schlesinger was also the co-founder of bands Ivy and Tinted Windows, as well as a contributing producer for Brooklyn-based duo Fever High. He was 52 years old.

When I saw that I was like "Oh, that's a real bummer, I remember that band." Then I saw his personal accomplishments and I was like "Oh horsefeathers"

Nominated for 10 Emmys, 3 Grammys, 2 Tony's, 1 Oscar. A true prolific powerhouse songwriter.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:27 pm

4 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:17 pm

The Logan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Awful:

https://news.avclub.com/r-i-p-adam-schl ... 1842624832

Adam Schlesinger, the award-winning songwriter, producer, and co-founder of the rock band Fountains Of Wayne, has died of complications from coronavirus. Variety has confirmed the performer’s death. Schlesinger was also the co-founder of bands Ivy and Tinted Windows, as well as a contributing producer for Brooklyn-based duo Fever High. He was 52 years old.

When I saw that I was like "Oh, that's a real bummer, I remember that band." Then I saw his personal accomplishments and I was like "Oh horsefeathers"

Nominated for 10 Emmys, 3 Grammys, 2 Tony's, 1 Oscar. A true prolific powerhouse songwriter.

My moment was seeing he was the guy who wrote and produced the title song to "That Thing You Do". damn :(
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:50 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:03 pm

At work, at least 75% of the workforce is at home, and the rest of us deemed essential have been split into 2 teams that alternate being at work each week. I was back on this week, and on Monday my boss left after 2 hours after suddenly starting to feel ill (getting that "pre-sick" feeling of general aches, being tired and sorta feverish). He was in his office pretty much the whole time, and probably wasn't closer to the rest of us by 10-ish feet, and we've been pretty fanatical about our regimen of regularly cleaning all commonly touched switches and locks and door handles and equipment and what not, especially if someone hasn't been feeling well before going home.

He's stayed home the rest of this week, but by today, he's got a fever, aches and chills, and chest congestion (said he feels like someone is sitting on his chest), but no cough at all. It was enough that when he called urgent care, they advised him to go to a drive-up testing location this morning. His flu and strep tests were negative, so now we're waiting on the COVID result. In the meantime, the protocol is that the 3 of us who worked in the same space had to immediately go home and isolate until we hear what his result is. FUN.
2 x

MidoreX
All-Star

Postby MidoreX » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:12 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:At work, at least 75% of the workforce is at home, and the rest of us deemed essential have been split into 2 teams that alternate being at work each week. I was back on this week, and on Monday my boss left after 2 hours after suddenly starting to feel ill (getting that "pre-sick" feeling of general aches, being tired and sorta feverish). He was in his office pretty much the whole time, and probably wasn't closer to the rest of us by 10-ish feet, and we've been pretty fanatical about our regimen of regularly cleaning all commonly touched switches and locks and door handles and equipment and what not, especially if someone hasn't been feeling well before going home.

He's stayed home the rest of this week, but by today, he's got a fever, aches and chills, and chest congestion (said he feels like someone is sitting on his chest), but no cough at all. It was enough that when he called urgent care, they advised him to go to a drive-up testing location this morning. His flu and strep tests were negative, so now we're waiting on the COVOD result. In the meantime, the protocol is that the 3 of us who worked in the same space had to immediately go home and isolate until we hear what his result is. FUN.

Hope he's alright, and that whatever germs he potentially spread were eradicated... I'm pretty sure I had A VERY light run of covid (though we'll never know unless they release an anti-body test) that sounds A LOT like what he's seeing so far. Never had a cough at all, just shortness of breath and substantial chest discomfort that both started like 5 days after we started sheltering in place and stuck around for about 10 days with occasional light fevers/achiness/fatigue but nothing terrible. I kept waiting for the cough to develop or the breathing difficulties to get worse, but they never did. Feeling back to normal now, and considering myself very lucky.
1 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:03 am

0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:33 am

i'm so scared for my parents and what is about to happen here in florida. so many extra people are going to die here for absolutely no reason whatsoever. i just don't understand.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:44 am

17 Seconds wrote:https://twitter.com/heiko_wimmen/status/1245768273544777729

Must be nice
0 x
Win it for Fred

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:55 am

UMFan83 wrote:

Must be nice

Germans and their Science...
2 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:02 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Must be nice

Germans and their Science...

It's almost like you're better off having Merkel leading the country as opposed to Trump.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:35 am

MidoreX wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:At work, at least 75% of the workforce is at home, and the rest of us deemed essential have been split into 2 teams that alternate being at work each week. I was back on this week, and on Monday my boss left after 2 hours after suddenly starting to feel ill (getting that "pre-sick" feeling of general aches, being tired and sorta feverish). He was in his office pretty much the whole time, and probably wasn't closer to the rest of us by 10-ish feet, and we've been pretty fanatical about our regimen of regularly cleaning all commonly touched switches and locks and door handles and equipment and what not, especially if someone hasn't been feeling well before going home.

He's stayed home the rest of this week, but by today, he's got a fever, aches and chills, and chest congestion (said he feels like someone is sitting on his chest), but no cough at all. It was enough that when he called urgent care, they advised him to go to a drive-up testing location this morning. His flu and strep tests were negative, so now we're waiting on the COVOD result. In the meantime, the protocol is that the 3 of us who worked in the same space had to immediately go home and isolate until we hear what his result is. FUN.

Hope he's alright, and that whatever germs he potentially spread were eradicated... I'm pretty sure I had A VERY light run of covid (though we'll never know unless they release an anti-body test) that sounds A LOT like what he's seeing so far. Never had a cough at all, just shortness of breath and substantial chest discomfort that both started like 5 days after we started sheltering in place and stuck around for about 10 days with occasional light fevers/achiness/fatigue but nothing terrible. I kept waiting for the cough to develop or the breathing difficulties to get worse, but they never did. Feeling back to normal now, and considering myself very lucky.

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced that my wife, daughter and I have already had it and recovered.

But the horsefeathers thing is that we weren't able to get tested while we had symptoms. So now we wont know until we have an antibody test. And with my wife 36 weeks pregnant and needing to make weekly trips to the doctor now -- plus the prospects of a couple overnight stays when she delivers, we'd all feel a hell of a lot better if we knew that was what we had. Even if we found out that wasn't it, we'd know to be that much more careful.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:10 am

Am I the only one having a hard time grasping how testing for antibodies at this point (unless they are really wrong on how long this has been out there - as some have suggested) really moves the needle anytime soon?

Even if there are, say, like 10x(!!) as many cases in the US as they say, that'd be 2.5 million cases out of 327 million people - or 0.7% of the population.

So that leaves the other 99%+ still without immunity and still in this limbo of anxiety we're currently in.

I just don't understand, unless they are several orders of magnitude (did i use that right? lol) off in terms of how many people have had it, how this makes a big difference to us anytime soon, in a practical sense. i get how it's really useful for understanding spread better and there's always a chance that there are many more people in the community who have had it and recovered than we know.

EDIT - reading back on the thread i realize it looks tone deaf right after rob's post (and hell almost like a direct response)...to clarify, i had not read your post. i totally get why an antibody test would be useful for plenty of people, yourself included. i just meant in the manner that people are speaking like it would a big step in allowing us to go back to normal in the short term.
Last edited by David on Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 am

David wrote:Am I the only one having a hard time grasping how testing for antibodies at this point (unless they are really wrong on how long this has been out there - as some have suggested) really moves the needle anytime soon?

Even if there are, say, like 10x(!!) as many cases in the US as they say, that'd be 2.5 million cases out of 327 million people - or 0.7% of the population.

So that leaves the other 99%+ still without immunity and still in this limbo of anxiety we're currently in.

I just don't understand, unless they are several orders of magnitude (did i use that right? lol) off in terms of how many people have had it, how this makes a big difference to us anytime soon, in a practical sense. i get how it's really useful for understanding spread better and there's always a chance that there are much more people in the community who have had it and recovered than we know.

EDIT - reading back on the thread i realize it looks tone deaf right after rob's post (and hell almost like a direct response)...to clarify, i had not read your post. i totally get why an antibody test would be useful for plenty of people, yourself included. i just meant in the manner that people are speaking like it would a big step in allowing us to go back to normal in the short term.

No worries.

I think it's less about "getting back to normal" at this point than it is filling in the gaps. There are a lot of essential services, and there are a lot of unemployed people like myself. If I knew for a fact that my family already had the virus, I'd be one of the first in line to take a job at the hospital or somewhere else on the front line against this. Absent that information, I can't do it.
5 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:09 am

David wrote:Am I the only one having a hard time grasping how testing for antibodies at this point (unless they are really wrong on how long this has been out there - as some have suggested) really moves the needle anytime soon?

I just don't understand, unless they are several orders of magnitude (did i use that right? lol) off in terms of how many people have had it, how this makes a big difference to us anytime soon, in a practical sense. i get how it's really useful for understanding spread better and there's always a chance that there are many more people in the community who have had it and recovered than we know.

There are probably additional reasons, but for me three things immediately come to mind:

1. Peace of mind for people better knowing the best way to handle their specific personal circumstances
2. We can run studies and better estimate how many people in the US do have it. Because there's an argument that with the lack of testing we really are off from the real numbers by several orders of magnitude:

3. If this comes back again like many people expect, enough people knowing their status means we don't have to go quite as far shutting *everything* down again the second time
2 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:50 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-administration-ended-pandemic-early-233508840.html

The initiative, called PREDICT, also trained and supported staff in 60 foreign laboratories — including the Wuhan lab that identified SARS-CoV-2, the new coronavirus that causes COVID-19.

Field work ceased when the funding ran out in September, and organizations that worked on the PREDICT program laid off dozens of scientists and analysts, said Peter Daszak, president of EcoHealth Alliance, a key player in the program.

On Wednesday, USAID granted an emergency extension to the program, issuing $2.26 million over the next six months to send experts who will help foreign labs squelch the pandemic. But program leaders say the funding will do little to further the initiative's original mission.

“Look at the name: Our efforts were to predict this before it happens. That’s the part of the program that was exciting — and that’s the part I’m worried about,” Daszak said.

“It's absolutely critical that we don’t drop the idea of a large-scale, proactive, predictive program that tries to catch pandemics before they happen. Cutting a program that could in any way reduce the risk of things like COVID-19 happening again is, by any measure, shortsighted," he added.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:48 pm

re: antibody testing

I think people are clinging to the hope that the super-widespread theories are true and we get a get-out-of-jail-free card on all this because everyone already had it.

But short of that, antibody testing is just another piece of the puzzle. Mostly it gives us the information we desperately need to make informed decisions about how to move forward.
4 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:44 pm

Testing every caregiver for antibodies would definitely yield solid, actionable information. There are probably other groups where this type of information would be enormously useful, such as police, fire, even food service.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:11 pm

The problem is that if this comes in waves (like the Spanish Flu, which swept through in 1918, 1919 and 1920), the potential second/third waves may be mutated enough that anti-bodies to COVID-19 may not mean much
0 x

Return to “Social”