CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:29 am

Does anyone have the actual video of this conversation between Francis Collins and Anthony Fauci? Fauci was pretty blunt in a few instances. Was the video taken down or never supposed to be put up in the first place?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/candid- ... d=69901189
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:50 am

holy crap...today i was wondering if they would ramp up production (mass scale) of the different vaccines being tested while still testing them, so that they would be able to get a head start on production on the ones that work.

this seems like it would be a pretty big help
3 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:40 am

looking at this on a national level seems noisy, at best, but hopefully there's something good to this

0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:55 am

Just in case anyone was still in doubt about the effect of lockdowns: after 17 days, the number of Covid19 cases in Belgian hospitals is finally going down (because more people are being discharged then new cases being admitted). ICU capacity is holding firm too.
The trick will be to resist the temptation to lift the restrictions too early.
2 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:09 pm

Anecdotally, it seems like people are jumping into mask-wearing pretty fast now that it's being recommended. Lots of family members who would have been the first ones to say "it's just the flu" if Fox News told them to say it a few months ago are now wearing cloth masks anytime they go out. While the spring breakers and general denialists get the headlines, I think most people are willing to do anything that means the whole thing goes away even a little bit faster.

I think we're going to start seeing lockdowns slowly rolled back sooner rather than later. Late April or early May. I think we're going to see something like this:

1) Widespread mask-wearing
2) Most things "open" but with reduced capacity and an emphasis on limited interactions when possible (i.e. stores encouraging curbside pickup). No sporting events, concerts, conventions for a long time, though.
3) Aggressive sterilization of high-risk areas. Public transportation, areas with high foot traffic, buildings with lots of people coming in and out. We will need literally round-the-clock squads wiping down surfaces.

That's *probably* going to be fine? I'd be surprised if we're still seeing community spread in significant numbers at this point.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:37 pm

That's kind of what I've been thinking (hoping?) would happen.
0 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:57 pm

NYC is in desperate need of doctors and nurses. They will fly you in, put you up in a hotel, and pay you 6-8x the the typical salary.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:00 pm

This is the most comforting Covid video I’ve seen. ER doctor at NYC’s biggest hospital. He essentially explains how not to get it and what to do if you get it and that you shouldn’t be afraid of it

0 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:29 pm

OleMissCub wrote:This is the most comforting Covid video I’ve seen. ER doctor at NYC’s biggest hospital. He essentially explains how not to get it and what to do if you get it and that you shouldn’t be afraid of it

That was before we realized that you could get it from just talking to someone or breathing the air someone else just exhaled, no?
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:55 pm

I mean it's great people are on board for wearing masks but where TF do we get them? There are no masks available to buy and materials are all sold out everywhere I've been that I can find for DIY versions. We started using bandanas but that's obviously not ideal.

Any tips?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:56 pm

The Logan wrote:I mean it's great people are on board for wearing masks but where TF do we get them? There are no masks available to buy and materials are all sold out everywhere I've been that I can find for DIY versions. We started using bandanas but that's obviously not ideal.

Any tips?

What’s the recommendation for material for these masks?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:20 pm

Wilson A2000 wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:This is the most comforting Covid video I’ve seen. ER doctor at NYC’s biggest hospital. He essentially explains how not to get it and what to do if you get it and that you shouldn’t be afraid of it

That was before we realized that you could get it from just talking to someone or breathing the air someone else just exhaled, no?

No. Aerosol spread has been known for some time. Unless someone's the governor of a state, apparently. And you're also not getting it from the air someone just exhaled.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:21 pm

Wilson A2000 wrote:

The problem we have is that there's a big difference between "can get it" and "are likely to get it." A lot of these headline grabbing studies are just proving that transmission in certain circumstances is possible. We still don't have firm data on how *likely* certain types of transmission are, but I believe the best guess is still that prolonged close contact is the most dangerous, followed by touching infected surfaces and then mucus membranes.
2 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:23 pm

The number of people in ICU in Italy finally dropped yesterday. Not a lot, but it's the beginning, roughly 3-4 weeks post-lockdown, just as expected.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:24 pm

Derwood wrote:
The Logan wrote:I mean it's great people are on board for wearing masks but where TF do we get them? There are no masks available to buy and materials are all sold out everywhere I've been that I can find for DIY versions. We started using bandanas but that's obviously not ideal.

Any tips?

Cotton. Using things like bandannas and t-shirts are fine if someone can't buy masks (though just take a look at somewhere like Etsy; you'll find scores of sellers selling re-usable, washable cotton masks).

You can use poly blends, too. Some of mine are those, and they technical filter better, but be aware that those are really more for using to go out and run errands and then into the wash when getting home since they accumulate more moisture. Cotton breathes better, so that's not as much of an issue.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:31 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

The problem we have is that there's a big difference between "can get it" and "are likely to get it." A lot of these headline grabbing studies are just proving that transmission in certain circumstances is possible. We still don't have firm data on how *likely* certain types of transmission are, but I believe the best guess is still that prolonged close contact is the most dangerous, followed by touching infected surfaces and then mucus membranes.

Exactly. This too often keeps veering towards people thinking that this is like the measles, or that the virus is just perpetually hanging in the air waiting to infect you. Gravity and airflow makes a massive difference, and the "worst case" numbers for air and surface survival is based on lab conditions. Wearing a mask and maintaining distance is with the idea of any kind sustained social interaction; it's tremendously unlikely you're going to get it just walking past someone unless they sneeze or cough in your face.
0 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

No. Aerosol spread has been known for some time. Unless someone's the governor of a state, apparently. And you're also not getting it from the air someone just exhaled.

Aerosol via cough or sneeze, yes we have known. But wasn't it just recently announced that breathing someone's else's air could pass it on hence the new CDC guidelines for masks? I guess breathing a person's exhale is considered an aerosol, but I didn't realize that until recently you could actually get it that way.

"Currently available research supports the possibility that SARS-CoV-2 could be spread via bioaerosols generated directly by patients’ exhalation,” researchers from the U.S. National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine wrote in an April 1 report to the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy." https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cor ... d-airborne

""While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences." https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/a ... index.html
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:41 pm

Wilson A2000 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

Aerosol via cough or sneeze, yes we have known. But wasn't it just recently announced that breathing someone's else's air could pass it on hence the new CDC guidelines for masks? I guess breathing a person's exhale is considered an aerosol, but I didn't realize that until recently you could actually get it that way.

"Currently available research supports the possibility that SARS-CoV-2 could be spread via bioaerosols generated directly by patients’ exhalation,” researchers from the U.S. National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine wrote in an April 1 report to the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy." https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cor ... d-airborne

""While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences." https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/a ... index.html

Right, people produce aerosol spray by coughing, sneezing...and talking, chewing, laughing, breathing through their mouth, etc.. That's still hugely different than catching it from "the air." That's measles territory. The R0 of this is likely in the 2.5-3.0 range. Measles is about 15. That's what real airborne spread looks like. Two people without masks can talk to each other in close quarters, one of them can have the virus (COVID), and there still has to be a pretty specific combination of factors to happen for the other person to get it. With something like measles, you just be around the person who has it and you're likely to get it (if not vaccinated, etc.).
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:42 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Any tips?

Cotton. Using things like bandannas and t-shirts are fine if someone can't buy masks (though just take a look at somewhere like Etsy; you'll find scores of sellers selling re-usable, washable cotton masks).

You can use poly blends, too. Some of mine are those, and they technical filter better, but be aware that those are really more for using to go out and run errands and then into the wash when getting home since they accumulate more moisture. Cotton breathes better, so that's not as much of an issue.

So people should be able to make masks from t-shirts or other clothes that can be cut up and repurposed, assuming they have a sewing machine or a little bit of sewing ability.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:46 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:

So people should be able to make masks from t-shirts or other clothes that can be cut up and repurposed, assuming they have a sewing machine or a little bit of sewing ability.

Yup. Or, again, order from a place like Etsy.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:09 pm

or wear a bandana like you are Jesse James holding up a train. That works just as well.
1 x

Wilson A2000
Superstar

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:46 pm

New York state had fewer deaths yesterday than the day before (594 vs 630). There were also fewer hospitalizations.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:56 pm

OleMissCub wrote:or wear a bandana like you are Jesse James holding up a train. That works just as well.

That's literally what I did yesterday at the grocery store. I hated it. It kept constantly falling and it became incredibly humid because the heat was turned up in the grocery store and as a result it did not prevent me from touching my face a million times to keep it from sliding off. It felt like it would've been safer for myself to not wear one.

I do not recommend it. If anyone can find something with elastic straps do it and don't look back.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:00 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:

If you can just cut a piece of fabric to the right size, there are no sew versions out there that you can Google.
1 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:01 pm

1 x

Return to “Social”