CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:24 am

re: sports

starting sports even a few months from now sounds crazy to me, but we have crazy people in charge
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:31 am

I can’t help but point out that 14 years ago was 2006. In that years Game 7 of the NLCS Trump was sitting about 5 rows behind home plate and seen repeatedly throughout the broadcast. The fact that he threw out a specific number like 14 years ago leads me to believe that Trump has been watching that game repeatedly to see himself on TV. It was even streamed Sunday night on Twitter.

Edit: I thought of this myself but someone at Zombie Deadspin just posted about it too. https://deadspin.com/in-the-middle-of-a ... 1842870067
6 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:33 am

https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... treatments

anyone know if there's anywhere to find progress updates on how these different trials on different treatment options are going?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:44 am

David wrote:https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/global-research-on-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov/solidarity-clinical-trial-for-covid-19-treatments

anyone know if there's anywhere to find progress updates on how these different trials on different treatment options are going?

Maybe the FDA site or if they’re publicly traded on the company sites under their press or investor relations tabs? When this all started I saw this company had a promising treatment drug so I followed them on twitter. Looks like FDA approved them for a 400 person trial yesterday.

1 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:03 am

David wrote:https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/global-research-on-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov/solidarity-clinical-trial-for-covid-19-treatments

Check out this link, seems like it’s as good as anything out there in tracking from a brief search. Over 100 drugs/treatments listed and 70+ vaccines in various stages.

https://milkeninstitute.org/sites/defau ... 9-20-2.pdf
1 x
Screw Pitchers

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:06 am

1 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:43 pm

Because it's a wall of undecipherable text?
3 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Banedon wrote:

It's a very comprehensive break down of what will happen depending on how we act and how the virus spreads. All of that is complicated, but it's not like you need to have taken Differential Equations to understand that article, which was excellent. Everyone here should read that wall of text in its entirety...you can actually skip the abstract which is a little overly verbose.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:14 pm

This is a really good article. And it's worth reading just to read the list of male world leaders among whom Trump is mentioned:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/avivahwitt ... 0128913dec
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:16 pm

Banedon wrote:

I thought we had all agreed to pretend we could read scientific studies in a highly specific field, understand and make judgments from them? Am I out on my own on this one?
4 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:00 pm

GF's Dad just sent a care package that includes plastic gloves, medical-style masks (5 loose ones, one packaged in Chinese packaging [wasn't there word of hastily made masks from overseas that weren't effective at all? Slightly wary of these]), and two N95/N99 foam masks with a filter in them.

This stuff is basically impossible to find, so needless to say I'm grateful. We just made our own Olson masks from loose fabric, and we might make more if we can get our hands on a sewing machine, so we may be able to donate some of these to medical personnel or make new ones from scratch if we get that sewing machine.
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:06 pm

The Logan wrote:GF's Dad just sent a care package that includes plastic gloves, medical-style masks (5 loose ones, one packaged in Chinese packaging [wasn't there word of hastily made masks from overseas that weren't effective at all? Slightly wary of these]),.

that was re: n95 masks that were meant as PPE for health care workers, no?

cut up t-shirts are effective for what the public is being asked to do with masks (cover our faces so if we cough or sneeze we aren't setting off virus droplet bombs and spraying it everywhere unfettered), so i don't see why those wouldn't work fine as long as they cover your nose and mouth. i could be wrong though.
1 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:49 pm

The next person I see incorrectly wearing an N95 (which you shouldn’t have in the first place) or a surgical mask, I’m seriously going to hit. I’m over here having to reuse a surgical mask because I’m limited to 3 per week and we have *TONS* of idiots running around wasting perfectly good PPE.

Also, some towns are now starting to require all customers and employees of pharmacies, grocery stores, etc to wear a mask to enter. Glenview was the first I heard and now Skokie will be instituting too.
1 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:55 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:The next person I see incorrectly wearing an N95 (which you shouldn’t have in the first place) or a surgical mask, I’m seriously going to hit. I’m over here having to reuse a surgical mask because I’m limited to 3 per week and we have *TONS* of idiots running around wasting perfectly good PPE.

Also, some towns are now starting to require all customers and employees of pharmacies, grocery stores, etc to wear a mask to enter. Glenview was the first I heard and now Skokie will be instituting too.

what do you mean by incorrectly? not covering mouth/nose or something else (obviously playing with it and touching it a lot is dumb)?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:56 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:The next person I see incorrectly wearing an N95 (which you shouldn’t have in the first place) or a surgical mask, I’m seriously going to hit. I’m over here having to reuse a surgical mask because I’m limited to 3 per week and we have *TONS* of idiots running around wasting perfectly good PPE.

Problem here is a combination of a) 80% of people at grocery stores, etc. aren't wearing ANY PPE, and b) those who are, are just throwing the used gloves/masks on the ground instead of in the garbage
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:23 pm

David wrote:

what do you mean by incorrectly? not covering mouth/nose or something else (obviously playing with it and touching it a lot is dumb)?

Yes, all of the above. Some wear it around their neck. Some cover only their mouth. Some literally pull it down when they want to talk to me. Some constantly touch the front of it and then touch other things.
1 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:38 pm

Just left the house for the second time in four weeks, had to get a new keyboard for kid's computer at big lots. I saw maybe 20 people when I was out, and only two weren't wearing a mask, an older couple. Mask-wearing is not compulsory here but recommended.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Grocery store here mandated masks for all employees and customers. Also sent a nice email saying that anyone who gives the employees any horsefeathers is welcome to never shop there again!

love that store.
3 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:13 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

Check out this link, seems like it’s as good as anything out there in tracking from a brief search. Over 100 drugs/treatments listed and 70+ vaccines in various stages.

https://milkeninstitute.org/sites/defau ... 9-20-2.pdf

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond=COVID-19
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:22 pm

Italy's numbers finally going down at a decent rate after being stubborn in the 3k-4k range for a little longer than I hoped to see.

I feel like we're in the same place right now with the economy that we were with the pandemic a month and a half ago: Not fully appreciating the size of the damage we've already locked in or how quickly it can cascade out of control.

Republicans who wanted to let a million people die to keep the stock market from going below 25k for too long are garbage. But just like infections grow exponentially, economic damage has a cascade effect. Every time a business closes, all the other businesses that worked with it take a hit, as do all the businesses patronized by their employees. A month can probably be weathered with aggressive government intervention. Two months and you may start to see a breadth of business closures we literally have no reference point for comparing to. Three months and you'll start seeing pressure on essential supply chains.

I'm not saying throw open the doors to everything tomorrow and let people go back to licking doorknobs or whatever it is they did, but I think that there's starting to be some political inertia to keeping lockdowns that is avoiding dealing with the hard questions of how we get back as much economic activity as we can.
3 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:55 pm

This is a good podcast explaining the four plans to reopen the country. None of them are very optimistic.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0471095547
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:51 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Just left the house for the second time in four weeks, had to get a new keyboard for kid's computer at big lots. I saw maybe 20 people when I was out, and only two weren't wearing a mask, an older couple. Mask-wearing is not compulsory here but recommended.

How's your son doing with the whole not eating at a place he chooses thing?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:55 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Italy's numbers finally going down at a decent rate after being stubborn in the 3k-4k range for a little longer than I hoped to see.

I feel like we're in the same place right now with the economy that we were with the pandemic a month and a half ago: Not fully appreciating the size of the damage we've already locked in or how quickly it can cascade out of control.

Republicans who wanted to let a million people die to keep the stock market from going below 25k for too long are garbage. But just like infections grow exponentially, economic damage has a cascade effect. Every time a business closes, all the other businesses that worked with it take a hit, as do all the businesses patronized by their employees. A month can probably be weathered with aggressive government intervention. Two months and you may start to see a breadth of business closures we literally have no reference point for comparing to. Three months and you'll start seeing pressure on essential supply chains.

I'm not saying throw open the doors to everything tomorrow and let people go back to licking doorknobs or whatever it is they did, but I think that there's starting to be some political inertia to keeping lockdowns that is avoiding dealing with the hard questions of how we get back as much economic activity as we can.

i talk to a few of the people at the local pizza place/bar i frequent and they aren't anticipating opening until june or even july now (i'm assuming this is based on what they're hearing from local govt officials, but who knows). granted, they're getting plenty of takeout and delivery business, i'm sure. but i'd heard rumors that they were on thin ice financially a few times over the years...pretty worried this could finally do them in if they stay closed that long.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:58 pm

NOLA wrote:This is a good podcast explaining the four plans to reopen the country. None of them are very optimistic.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0471095547

i'm not sure i can do well with listening to even more doom and gloom for an hour

anyone have any key takeaways that won't make me want to inject heroin into my forehead (crazy how much more genuine that sentiment feels than when i say it about the cubs being jerks)?
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:59 pm

David wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Just left the house for the second time in four weeks, had to get a new keyboard for kid's computer at big lots. I saw maybe 20 people when I was out, and only two weren't wearing a mask, an older couple. Mask-wearing is not compulsory here but recommended.

How's your son doing with the whole not eating at a place he chooses thing?

Waaaaaaaay better than I expected. He doesn't ask to go places anymore, just demands a lot of doordash. It took a few weeks, but he's happy with his routine.

Wake up, play on computer, wait for breakfast.
10 a.m.: zoom lesson with his school
11 a.m.: Go upstairs and watch TV/play
noon: Swim
1 p.m.: lunch
2 p.m.: Play in his room for awhile
3 p.m.: Second swim
4: p.m.: Back upstairs
5 p.m. supper
6 p.m.: in room for the rest of the night

Last year, he went on anti-anxiety medicine that reduced his really violent meltdowns (the ones that absolutely can't be controlled, you have to hold him down as gently as possible to keep him from putting his head through a wall or something equally self-damaging) from almost daily to less than one a month. We were back up to maybe 2 a week early in the lockdown, now it's been about a week since the last one.

I think pretty soon we're going to start trying some drive-thru tailgating to break up the routine.
2 x

Return to “Social”