CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun May 24, 2020 8:08 pm

It's cool that drug companies, at no cost to them, can issue statements about timelines no one can confirm nor deny and experience a nice bump to their stock prices.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun May 24, 2020 9:31 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:It's cool that drug companies, at no cost to them, can issue statements about timelines no one can confirm nor deny and experience a nice bump to their stock prices.

Yeah, I’ve wondered about that. I almost want to buy stock in a pharmaceutical maker, wait around for them to float a rumor about a vaccine, then sell it a week later after prices soar but before everyone realizes its BS.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun May 24, 2020 10:01 pm

NOLA wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:It's cool that drug companies, at no cost to them, can issue statements about timelines no one can confirm nor deny and experience a nice bump to their stock prices.

Yeah, I’ve wondered about that. I almost want to buy stock in a pharmaceutical maker, wait around for them to float a rumor about a vaccine, then sell it a week later after prices soar but before everyone realizes its BS.

That is in no way what has been happening.
2 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon May 25, 2020 2:25 am

Multiple reports that the Oxford people are concerned that COVID is disappearing too quickly in the UK to get adequate results for their clinical vaccine trials.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Mon May 25, 2020 3:12 am

Andy wrote:Multiple reports that the Oxford people are concerned that COVID is disappearing too quickly in the UK to get adequate results for their clinical vaccine trials.

wow, i really have zero understanding of this pandemic
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon May 25, 2020 3:22 am

17 Seconds wrote:
Andy wrote:Multiple reports that the Oxford people are concerned that COVID is disappearing too quickly in the UK to get adequate results for their clinical vaccine trials.

wow, i really have zero understanding of this pandemic

Even if you think cases are being under counted by a ton, it is still a really small percentage of the population that has had it, and the distancing isn't going to speed that up any, obviously (and fortunately). And without purposely exposing test subjects to the virus (which they'd never do with people), it would seem hard to really know if the vaccine is working or if those people are just part of the other majority of people who aren't infected. The sample would have to be enormous to say anything definitively.

That's why I suggested that maybe they would test among the groups of people who are at highest risk if exposure but I'm not sure how that all works since they have to volunteer.
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Mon May 25, 2020 10:17 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
The Logan wrote:UV Light is how a local video gear rental company is sanitizing their equipment after use. Interesting idea.

UV tech used to kill viruses and bacteria has been around a long time, it was always considered expensive (equipment) or untrusted (for stupid reasons).

Just to be clear: we're talking UV-C wavelengths here, so don't use your tanning lights. 8-)
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon May 25, 2020 4:27 pm

0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon May 25, 2020 6:20 pm

I think we discussed this a bit weeks/months ago when OMC brought up the Diamond Princess, but apparently there's some evidence of pre-existing immunity out there, possibly from past exposure to other coronaviruses that have circulated (i.e. the common cold).

https://www.cell.com/action/showPdf?pii ... %2930610-3

SUMMARY
Understanding adaptive immunity to SARS-CoV-2 is important for vaccine development, interpreting coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pathogenesis, and calibration of pandemic control measures. Using HLA class I and II predicted peptide ‘megapools’, circulating SARS-CoV-2−specific CD8+ and CD4+ T cells were identified in ~70% and 100% of COVID-19 convalescent patients, respectively. CD4+ T cell responses to spike, the main target of most vaccine efforts, were robust and correlated with the magnitude of the anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgG and IgA titers. The M, spike and N proteins each accounted for 11-27% of the total CD4+ response, with additional responses commonly targeting nsp3, nsp4, ORF3a and ORF8, among others. For CD8+ T cells, spike and M were recognized, with at least eight SARSCoV-2 ORFs targeted. Importantly, we detected SARS-CoV-2−reactive CD4+ T cells in ~40-60% of unexposed individuals, suggesting cross-reactive T cell recognition between circulating ‘common cold’ coronaviruses and SARS-CoV-2.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Tue May 26, 2020 3:22 pm

I think there was some talk about this back in like late March, but this really interesting. This seems like it could serve as the canary in the coal mine.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 26, 2020 11:50 pm

Bertz wrote:

I think there was some talk about this back in like late March, but this really interesting. This seems like it could serve as the canary in the coal mine.

Does this mean that the timeline between the virus entering the body to symptoms showing is closer to 7 days than 14 days?
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed May 27, 2020 2:44 am

Derwood wrote:
Bertz wrote:

Does this mean that the timeline between the virus entering the body to symptoms showing is closer to 7 days than 14 days?

I think that's right? I think that's why people have to quarantine for 14 days, because that's about the upper bound of when symptoms can begin to appear.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed May 27, 2020 4:34 am

UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Not more than a couple of times that I can recall. She hasn't been feeling great. If it is COVID, it's definitely lingered for a long time, she was just starting to feel it when we went on lockdown. That's why I suspect it isn't, but her doctor apparently thought a test was warranted.

Anyone know anything of Kyle?

He posted this a few days before his last log in (21st).

Not sure but I think he's been known to disappear from the board for stretches here and there. I hope him and his family are ok though.

Oh horsefeathers, sorry guys. I didn't mean to make it seem like something like that had happened. Sister's test came back negative, nobody else seems to have gotten sick.

I just decided to try going cold turkey from internet addiction for awhile. This is the first time I've looked at anything interactive (message boards, facebook, twitter) in two months. It's been going great, I'm happier and more productive. I'm giving myself a brief pass for tonight, then I'm gonna go back off for awhile.

My thoughts on COVID currently are that we're in about as good a spot as could be hoped. I don't think that expecting people to be on 100% lockdown for months was a realistic strategy. I like the comparison to abstinence-only education. People are going to engage in activity and it's more effective to teach them how to do it safely than it is to try to ban it. I wanted to see states use the time off to formulate plans on how to resume some levels of activity in safer ways based on what we learned about transmission, and I think that's mostly happened.

I think that there's a partisan desire to jam this into a narrative it doesn't quite fit. California is as blue as it gets, and we're reopening the same time as many red states. As much as liberals like to yell "science," I think they've been frequently anti-scientific on this one and the scientists themselves have debased themselves a lot by trying to be politicians (the Ionaddis debacle, telling people masks don't work just to make sure there wasn't a run on them, hyping up the "we don't know for sure about immunity/reinfection" because they didn't want immunity passes to become a thing).

I have a possibly optimistic hope that there's a lot more native resistance to the disease than our 100% susceptibility models account for, and that's why places like New York plummet after reaching ~20% infected. We know children are at least partially resistant to infection. Recent infection with other coronaviruses (about 15% of colds are caused by them) likely yields resistance. And some people just have stronger immune systems than others. If this is true, then we should be able to avoid the more apocalyptic worst-case scenarios even if there's future waves.
12 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:47 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:

Not sure but I think he's been known to disappear from the board for stretches here and there. I hope him and his family are ok though.

Oh horsefeathers, sorry guys. I didn't mean to make it seem like something like that had happened. Sister's test came back negative, nobody else seems to have gotten sick.

I just decided to try going cold turkey from internet addiction for awhile. This is the first time I've looked at anything interactive (message boards, facebook, twitter) in two months. It's been going great, I'm happier and more productive. I'm giving myself a brief pass for tonight, then I'm gonna go back off for awhile.

My thoughts on COVID currently are that we're in about as good a spot as could be hoped. I don't think that expecting people to be on 100% lockdown for months was a realistic strategy. I like the comparison to abstinence-only education. People are going to engage in activity and it's more effective to teach them how to do it safely than it is to try to ban it. I wanted to see states use the time off to formulate plans on how to resume some levels of activity in safer ways based on what we learned about transmission, and I think that's mostly happened.

I think that there's a partisan desire to jam this into a narrative it doesn't quite fit. California is as blue as it gets, and we're reopening the same time as many red states. As much as liberals like to yell "science," I think they've been frequently anti-scientific on this one and the scientists themselves have debased themselves a lot by trying to be politicians (the Ionaddis debacle, telling people masks don't work just to make sure there wasn't a run on them, hyping up the "we don't know for sure about immunity/reinfection" because they didn't want immunity passes to become a thing).

I have a possibly optimistic hope that there's a lot more native resistance to the disease than our 100% susceptibility models account for, and that's why places like New York plummet after reaching ~20% infected. We know children are at least partially resistant to infection. Recent infection with other coronaviruses (about 15% of colds are caused by them) likely yields resistance. And some people just have stronger immune systems than others. If this is true, then we should be able to avoid the more apocalyptic worst-case scenarios even if there's future waves.

Glad to hear you are ok and glad that you are finding ways to make yourself happier and more productive. Hopefully once you rewire yourself you can find time to visit us and not be the next JonMDavis :D
0 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed May 27, 2020 5:03 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:

Glad to hear it.

As for the latter part of that, that's about where I sit right now (although my emotional state with all of this can sometimes shift wildly from optimism to pessimism and anywhere in between). It's nice to see someone else put it into words. I wondered that about NY, myself.
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed May 27, 2020 4:16 pm

Good for you Kyle, I did something similar in taking my Twitter consumption to near zero and find myself much happier for it.

The resistance theory I think makes at least some sense in the fact that I have a hard time squaring the overall numbers and perception with what I see locally. I live in suburban St. Louis in a county of about 500k people. While some folks have adapted to using masks and social distancing, there's still a fair number of people who flocked to bars the first day they reopened, I'm sure my county was well represented in that Ozarks viral video, etc. And yet despite restrictions being loosened at the start of the month, we still haven't had a day with more than 10 cases in 3 weeks, and we've had about 55 deaths, half of which I believe are a single nursing home outbreak. Some other factor(resistance, weather, virus weakening, etc) has to be contributing.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed May 27, 2020 7:24 pm

0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu May 28, 2020 1:57 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:

u prick
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Thu May 28, 2020 9:57 am

Not that it will matter to those who don't wanna know, but I find this impressive: https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2562261/
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu May 28, 2020 2:37 pm

wvcbxl wrote:Not that it will matter to those who don't wanna know, but I find this impressive: https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2562261/

Right. Close the borders because of terrorism but keep your doors open cuz covid is a “nothing burger”
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu May 28, 2020 4:48 pm

wvcbxl wrote:Not that it will matter to those who don't wanna know, but I find this impressive: https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2562261/

I honestly had no idea Parkinson's was so prevalent and so deadly. Like I knew that it did a number on people's lives, but thought it was pretty rare and not all that fatal.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu May 28, 2020 5:19 pm

Banedon wrote:

OTOH most of that place is llamas, alpacas, and sets for Peter Jackson movies
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu May 28, 2020 5:52 pm

Bertz wrote:

I honestly had no idea Parkinson's was so prevalent and so deadly. Like I knew that it did a number on people's lives, but thought it was pretty rare and not all that fatal.

I fairly certain its mostly (if not always) fatal, not on its own but because of what it causes; ie blood clots, pneumonia, etc
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu May 28, 2020 6:07 pm

I was more surprised by drowning.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 28, 2020 6:34 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:I was more surprised by drowning.

Guess you've been spared the gun-humper cliche of "X number of people drown every year; guess we should ban all pools!!!"
0 x

Return to “Social”