CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: RE: Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby David » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:46 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
David wrote:i've seen a few anecdotal quotes in some local news stories from hospitals saying that the cases popping up right now aren't as severe as what we were seeing in spring and that they are doing much better in terms of treatment. i guess we'll see soon if/how that bears out in the numbers.
I know several people who have tested positive. A couple are asymptomatic and the rest have had pretty mild symptoms. I am scheduled to get tested on Thursday. Last week I had body aches and a mild fever. Overall it was nowhere near some of the worst colds/flus I've had in my life.

FWIW I tend to believe the anecdotes I've seen that this is not as deadly a virus as we dealt with in the early going.

To be clear, this isn't with any intent to shame you or anything like that. We're all figuring out what's safe and what isn't and what risks are worth taking and what is too risky and all that.

Do you think the trip to the beach you posted about a couple weeks ago is related at all?
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:09 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Holzhauer might be my favorite human.

Austin and Ken Jennings are awesome too.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:10 am

Tim wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:when worlds collide

Apparently he's 65 games short of a record of some sort

So participating in a 60 game season does nothing for him.
2 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:17 am

David wrote:
David wrote:i've seen a few anecdotal quotes in some local news stories from hospitals saying that the cases popping up right now aren't as severe as what we were seeing in spring and that they are doing much better in terms of treatment. i guess we'll see soon if/how that bears out in the numbers.
I know several people who have tested positive. A couple are asymptomatic and the rest have had pretty mild symptoms. I am scheduled to get tested on Thursday. Last week I had body aches and a mild fever. Overall it was nowhere near some of the worst colds/flus I've had in my life.

FWIW I tend to believe the anecdotes I've seen that this is not as deadly a virus as we dealt with in the early going.

To be clear, this isn't with any intent to shame you or anything like that. We're all figuring out what's safe and what isn't and what risks are worth taking and what is too risky and all that.

Do you think the trip to the beach you posted about a couple weeks ago is related at all?
Well its crossed my mind, definitely. The people that I know that have tested positive are mostly co-workers. I work for Trader Joe's in Tampa (transferred from L.A. in November and crew from my former store have tested positive as well) and I've been exposed to thousands of people during this pandemic. We all take extreme measures to remain safe but we are faced with hundreds of opportunities every day to contract the virus. Way too many careless customers and not enough of a leash extended by the company to keep them in check. At times it is impossible to keep a 6 ft forcefield up.

It's impossible to say but it could be. However I'm more concerned with my exposure at work.
2 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby David » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:28 am

David wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I know several people who have tested positive. A couple are asymptomatic and the rest have had pretty mild symptoms. I am scheduled to get tested on Thursday. Last week I had body aches and a mild fever. Overall it was nowhere near some of the worst colds/flus I've had in my life.

Well its crossed my mind, definitely. The people that I know that have tested positive are mostly co-workers. I work for Trader Joe's in Tampa (transferred from L.A. in November and crew from my former store have tested positive as well) and I've been exposed to thousands of people during this pandemic. We all take extreme measures to remain safe but we are faced with hundreds of opportunities every day to contract the virus. Way too many careless customers and not enough of a leash extended by the company to keep them in check. At times it is impossible to keep a 6 ft forcefield up.

It's impossible to say but it could be. However I'm more concerned with my exposure at work.

Gotcha. It's an understatement for me to say that the thought of working in a grocery store in Florida right now is pretty anxiety inducing, so credit to you. Hope you're negative and everything is all good.
1 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:44 am

Tim wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:when worlds collide

Apparently he's 65 games short of a record of some sort

Most games umpired before dying from a deadly virus. It's stood for over 100 years.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:48 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:

Yeah, Holzhauer is an aquaintence of a relative of mine, and I've heard good things, and I've met Ken when he hosted a national bar trivia competition I was at, and he rocked it. Austin I don't know in any personal way, but he also seems awesome.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:55 am

David wrote:
David wrote:

Gotcha. It's an understatement for me to say that the thought of working in a grocery store in Florida right now is pretty anxiety inducing, so credit to you. Hope you're negative and everything is all good.

I was a quivering mess back in March/April... had a couple breakdowns and several bouts of paranoia. And I mean, the numbers are still terrifying. I stay up on them. I try to remain vigilant. But I do admit that my level of fear of catching it and croaking has decreased significantly.

On a side note: the first year of my twin babies' lives has been pretty freaking insane.

There was a relatively big earthquake in the L.A. valley where we lived the day after they were born. It shook the hospital like mad. 2 days later, not even an hour after we had brought them home from the hospital, there was a sizable aftershock.

Then a couple weeks later wildfires engulfed like 70% of our surroundings and we were pretty close to evacuation. The smoke was no joke.

So we were like, F this place, we have a friend in FL who is offering a place to stay while we figure things out. A few months after arriving the entire globe got put in check by a novel virus. They've been cooped up inside for months and we had to do a livestream bday party for them this week.

Thank God they won't remember any of this horsefeathers because their first year has been a horsefeathers in some respects.
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:59 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:

Yeah, Holzhauer is an aquaintence of a relative of mine, and I've heard good things, and I've met Ken when he hosted a national bar trivia competition I was at, and he rocked it. Austin I don't know in any personal way, but he also seems awesome.
I stopped watching Jeopardy many moons ago so when I started hearing about this Holzhauer dude I decided to check up on him a little and I was like, oh horsefeathers that's that dude who dragged the Beast off of The Chase, another game show. That dude whooped his ass with ease. He was cocky and he backed it up.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:14 pm

More hand sanitizers made in Mexico being recalled because they contain toxic amounts of methanol:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/us/fda-h ... index.html

The US Food and Drug Administration has added five hand sanitizers to its list of products that have tested positive for a toxic chemical.

These additional hand sanitizer products tested positive for methanol, which is a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through skin or ingested.

Exposure to significant amounts of methanol can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death.

Anyone exposed to these hand sanitizers should seek immediate treatment, the FDA warns.

The five hand sanitizers added to the FDA's list are:

Grupo Insoma's Hand Sanitizer Gel Unscented, 70% alcohol
Transliquid Technologies' Mystic Shield Protection Hand Sanitizer
Soluciones Cosmeticas' Bersih Hand Sanitizer Gel Fragrance Free
Soluciones Cosmeticas Antiseptic Alcohol 70% Topical Solution Hand Sanitizer
Tropicosmeticos' Britz Hand Sanitizer Ethyl Alcohol 70%

You can find the full list of the brands recalled at the FDA's site here:

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-a ... s-methanol
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:25 am

Around 900 deaths again today.

This is going to be really bad.
0 x
Spoiler: show

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:35 am

Tim wrote:Around 900 deaths again today.

Open schools!!!
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:39 am

My UPS guy said it's all overblown and is a plot to get Trump to lose the election. Nothing to worry about
0 x

CubColtPacer
Superstar

Postby CubColtPacer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:00 am

Now to be fair, 89 of those were another New Jersey batch of probable deaths. In their charts, Covid Tracking project isn't putting those ones in.

But even with that, we managed to go slightly up comparing the 5 days the week before and now the 5 days of this holiday weekend. And hospitalizations continue to go up.

So we haven't really gone up very much yet, but it is coming :( If the hospitalizations stopped increasing right now, it might only increase to 750-800 a day at the new peak for the seven day average, but what's going to stop them from continuing to go up? I don't know.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:38 pm

CubColtPacer wrote:

Now to be fair, 89 of those were another New Jersey batch of probable deaths. In their charts, Covid Tracking project isn't putting those ones in.

But even with that, we managed to go slightly up comparing the 5 days the week before and now the 5 days of this holiday weekend. And hospitalizations continue to go up.

So we haven't really gone up very much yet, but it is coming :( If the hospitalizations stopped increasing right now, it might only increase to 750-800 a day at the new peak for the seven day average, but what's going to stop them from continuing to go up? I don't know.

Less selfish people who understand freedom is more than just about their liberties? I guess that's redundant, if you understand freedom is more than just your liberties then you're probably not selfish. So, I guess the answer is less selfish people.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:51 pm

Is the record keeping of the testing sophisticated enough to parse unique cases from the overall group? In other words, if the same person is tested multiple times, is it counting each of those times as a positive/negative, or do repeat tests get eliminated from the statistics?

Example: Let's say I get tested this week and my test is positive (though I'm asymptomatic). I would count towards a positive test for that day. Then I decide to get re-tested a week later to see if I'm still carrying the virus and I test positive again. A week later I do it a third time with the same results. Does that count as one positive test or three?
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:01 pm

Not reopening schools is by far the most severe step we've taken so far, even beyond shutting down the economy. It would have disastrous, permanent negative effect on an entire generation's mental health and academic development, and the health effects wouldn't be great either. I'm really worried about what happens to vaccination rates by this fall, when you've got parents scared to take kids for doctors visits anyway *and* you don't have schools to force them to immunize before enrollment.

I'm not saying We Must Open Schools At All Costs. But I feel like the national discussion over it is just glossing over the downside without doing any real accounting of it.
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:10 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Not reopening schools is by far the most severe step we've taken so far, even beyond shutting down the economy. It would have disastrous, permanent negative effect on an entire generation's mental health and academic development, and the health effects wouldn't be great either. I'm really worried about what happens to vaccination rates by this fall, when you've got parents scared to take kids for doctors visits anyway *and* you don't have schools to force them to immunize before enrollment.

I'm not saying We Must Open Schools At All Costs. But I feel like the national discussion over it is just glossing over the downside without doing any real accounting of it.

BUT THE STONKS, MAN. MY GOD, THE STONKS.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:08 pm

CubColtPacer wrote:

I believe I saw late last week that a lot of the leading data indicators (in person credit card data, Apple mobility reports, etc.) had reverted in the current problem areas to be more in line with where they were when things were under control. People typically stop thumbing their nose up at this sort of stuff once it reaches their back yard.

The problem is that Phoenix and Houston look like they reached that critical mass point before enough people got in line. Parts of Florida likely too, but we don't have the hospital data there. Hopefully this second wave is enough to show people that they need to be careful everywhere, and this isn't just some blue state/highly urban problem. I really hope come Labor Day we're not going through this yet again with like Colorado and Ohio or something.

Meanwhile Illinois opened up indoor dining nearly two weeks ago and the numbers are still trending positively. It's probably a week or so too early to really make judgments, but it would be nice to have a test case showing that it's doable if you have enough regulations and a low enough level of the virus present at the start.
2 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:26 pm

The Belgian government just decided that masks will be mandatory in all shops (and churches and a number of other places) from next Saturday. From what I've read here, this wouldn't fly in the US.
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:30 pm

wvcbxl wrote:The Belgian government just decided that masks will be mandatory in all shops (and churches and a number of other places) from next Saturday. From what I've read here, this wouldn't fly in the US.

with some people yes, with some people no. A segment of our population has decided that we all will suffer through the effects on the pandemic rather than do our best to minimize it.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 pm

wvcbxl wrote:The Belgian government just decided that masks will be mandatory in all shops (and churches and a number of other places) from next Saturday. From what I've read here, this wouldn't fly in the US.

Little late in the game, no?

It's been par for the course in New Jersey, and I believe many other states for a long time. So it's "flown" for a while. NJ just went to mandatory when outdoors if social distancing is not possible. My hometown has been that way for months. Although mandatory means different things to different people.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:43 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

It's been par for the course in New Jersey, and I believe many other states for a long time. So it's "flown" for a while. NJ just went to mandatory when outdoors if social distancing is not possible. My hometown has been that way for months. Although mandatory means different things to different people.

Yeah in Wisconsin the bigger counties/cities (Milwaukee, Madison, Green Bay) had masks required for most of the time, iirc. They relaxed with reopening but now are talking about going back. There’s still a lot of stores/restaurants requiring them and sticking to pickup/take out only. I think if the mask mandates come from the state/county/city level there generally will be compliance outside of some vocal minority idiots, nationally it will get stupidly politicized.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:58 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Very late, but our politicians are not very good at making decisions. :roll:
The confusing thing is that our Covid numbers are very good now (a lot lower than in mid march). This (and some other stuff) probably indicates that the authorities are bracing for the second wave. I know that the medical profession is - protective equipment supplies are being distributed to all nurses (nationally) and hospitals are stockpiling anything they can get their hands on (I happened to pass in the warehouse of a regional hospital yesterday and was stunned at what was in there).
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:09 pm

Michigan has had an official mask order the past couple of weeks, but every grocery store I've been around has ostensibly required them since March. Of course, 'required' is a loose term, as I see maskless people all the time that aren't asked to leave.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Return to “Social”