CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:57 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I fixed the link, gotta give me 10 seconds to ninja edit.

Here’s another one:

https://www.genengnews.com/news/pfizer- ... candidate/

It’s true that oxford/AstraZeneca has been a little better at grabbing headlines, but Pfizer has always been one of the major ones

I'd prefer to not take the mRNA vaccine.

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:04 pm

If people are wary of a new vaccine for a new virus because of something like this, I get it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibody- ... nhancement

I disagree with the idea that that type of reaction would take us by surprise only after it's been given to a ton of people, but I get the fear.

If they're wary (or worse) because they think it's going to cause them to grow tumors with arms, or have mutant kids, or it's going to impact their DNA, or whatever the horsefeathers, then I've got no time for it.
0 x

entbird79
Starter

Postby entbird79 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:10 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
entbird79 wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:The high school my kids attended managed to last 3 days before going online only after a positive test.

Same here. I wonder if it has anything to do with our state "leadership"?

At least she closed bars (again). Weren't we just here 6 months ago?

I'm just glad that she STRONGLY RECOMMENDED wearing masks. That'll do it!
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:37 pm

My nephews and nieces went back to school last week or so, and of course now my 9 yr old nephew has COVID-19

I thought the Illinois Governor was level-headed...I guess not?
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:42 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:My nephews and nieces went back to school last week or so, and of course now my 9 yr old nephew has COVID-19

I mean I've been pretty pleased overall with his response. Certainly don't expect perfection.

Not to minimize your nephew catching it, is he symptomatic?
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:57 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:My nephews and nieces went back to school last week or so, and of course now my 9 yr old nephew has COVID-19

I mean I've been pretty pleased overall with his response. Certainly don't expect perfection.

he had symptoms (coughing, sore throat) a week ago and that's why they tested him at school last Friday. he's past symptoms now and back to being a typical annoying 9 year old. They sent his entire class home and my brothers family (brother, sister-in-law, 2 nieces and 2 nephews all quarantined). My brother is super pissed about the quarantine considering my nephew couldn't have gotten it from anywhere but school and the virus is still likely lurking around the school in other grades/classes. I guess its wrong of me to blame the Gov as the decision is likely let to to the school districts themselves. And the number of kids left behind due to lack of technology if a study from home mandate was set would likely be very large in a state like Illinois. But here, in WA state, the Gov did shut down school last spring across the board.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:58 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

he had symptoms (coughing, sore throat) a week ago and that's why they tested him at school last Friday. he's past symptoms now and back to being a typical annoying 9 year old. They sent his entire class home and my brothers family (brother, sister-in-law, 2 nieces and 2 nephews all quarantined). My brother is super pissed about the quarantine considering my nephew couldn't have gotten it from anywhere but school and the virus is still likely lurking around the school in other grades/classes. I guess its wrong of me to blame the Gov as the decision is likely let to to the school districts themselves. And the number of kids left behind due to lack of technology if a study from home mandate was set would likely be very large in a state like Illinois. But here, in WA state, the Gov did shut down school last spring across the board.

He went to school with symptoms?
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:06 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:I mean I've been pretty pleased overall with his response. Certainly don't expect perfection.

eta: I see what you mean, no I believe he started coughing at school, he wasn't coughing at home Friday morning that my brother recalls. But the virus was already in the school at that point because he wasn't the only one who tested positive in the school or class, and no one else in my brothers immediate family (to date) has tested positive.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:16 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Yea, we shut down across the board in the spring and left it up to individual districts this fall as long as the area remained in the current phase of requirements. Many districts around here still opted for remote learning. The IDPH recommendations were strict from my understanding, but just that, recommendations.

I really don't know if he made the right call by not making a more stringent mandate for schools. I don't know if we'll know until we see more data from it.
Last edited by WrigleyField 22 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:20 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

eta: I see what you mean, no I believe he started coughing at school, he wasn't coughing at home Friday morning that my brother recalls. But the virus was already in the school at that point because he wasn't the only one who tested positive in the school or class, and no one else in my brothers immediate family (to date) has tested positive.

My wife teaches 2nd grade. Parents are being given a choice on whether to send their kids to class or attend virtually. She has ZERO faith in parents to check their kids regularly and keep them home if they're either showing symptoms or have been exposed to someone who has it. When school starts, she plans on teaching her in-class students how to learn virtually, because eventually it will all be virtual. Because too many parents don't understand what it means to keep their kids home from school when they're sick.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:23 pm

Cubfanintheknow wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:He went to school with symptoms?

My wife teaches 2nd grade. Parents are being given a choice on whether to send their kids to class or attend virtually. She has ZERO faith in parents to check their kids regularly and keep them home if they're either showing symptoms or have been exposed to someone who has it. When school starts, she plans on teaching her in-class students how to learn virtually, because eventually it will all be virtual. Because too many parents don't understand what it means to keep their kids home from school when they're sick.

Where you at out of curiosity?
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:25 pm

I'm not even sure the timeline makes total sense. my nephew tested positive on Friday, had a cough at school on Friday but nothing prior at home or at school. And, they started school (I believe) early last week. Can coronovirus kick in that fast? I thought its incubation was longer then 2-3 days (or do they even know). But if he didn't get sick at school, how did he get sick outside of school with out any contact outside of the house since July (not to mention all the other kids in the school getting sick) while the rest of his immediate family all tested negative? I realize negative tests are common, but in a family of 6 (in a relatively small house) only one positive test? none of it makes a ton of sense unless my brother isn't telling me something, but then again I don't know why he would hide anything from me.

it still points out that going back to school is quite the folly at this point in the pandemic
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:31 pm

Cubfanintheknow wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:He went to school with symptoms?

I would hate being a teacher even in non-pandemic times
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:38 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:I'm not even sure the timeline makes total sense. my nephew tested positive on Friday, had a cough at school on Friday but nothing prior at home or at school. And, they started school (I believe) early last week. Can coronovirus kick in that fast? I thought its incubation was longer then 2-3 days (or do they even know). But if he didn't get sick at school, how did he get sick outside of school with out any contact outside of the house since July (not to mention all the other kids in the school getting sick) while the rest of his immediate family all tested negative? I realize negative tests are common, but in a family of 6 (in a relatively small house) only one positive test? none of it makes a ton of sense unless my brother isn't telling me something, but then again I don't know why he would hide anything from me.

it still points out that going back to school is quite the folly at this point in the pandemic

I do not think going back is quite the folly. Going back full force, especially in areas with minimal attempts at prevention is a bad idea.

I do believe that any school system going back prior to Labor Day is dumb AF regardless of covid.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:39 pm

I just don’t see how you can go from an environment where transmission rates are ~0.9, open schools and colleges, and expect it not to go back over 1
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:40 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:I'm not even sure the timeline makes total sense. my nephew tested positive on Friday, had a cough at school on Friday but nothing prior at home or at school. And, they started school (I believe) early last week. Can coronovirus kick in that fast? I thought its incubation was longer then 2-3 days (or do they even know). But if he didn't get sick at school, how did he get sick outside of school with out any contact outside of the house since July (not to mention all the other kids in the school getting sick) while the rest of his immediate family all tested negative? I realize negative tests are common, but in a family of 6 (in a relatively small house) only one positive test? none of it makes a ton of sense unless my brother isn't telling me something, but then again I don't know why he would hide anything from me.

I do not think going back is quite the folly. Going back full force, especially in areas with minimal attempts at prevention is a bad idea.

I do believe that any school system going back prior to Labor Day is dumb AF regardless of covid.

they get out early May, so thats the trade off
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:41 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I just don’t see how you can go from an environment where transmission rates are ~0.9, open schools and colleges, and expect it not to go back over 1

yup. nobody is ready for this, especially in areas where so many will just flaunt social distancing, masks, etc
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:42 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:I'm not even sure the timeline makes total sense. my nephew tested positive on Friday, had a cough at school on Friday but nothing prior at home or at school. And, they started school (I believe) early last week. Can coronovirus kick in that fast? I thought its incubation was longer then 2-3 days (or do they even know).

I think it can vary, but most of what I recall reading says that 2-3 days is around the time most symptomatic cases begin to show up.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:51 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Cubfanintheknow wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Wisconsin... more specifically, KUSD.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:17 am

Cubfanintheknow wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Cubfanintheknow wrote:

You're in Kenosha too?
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:27 am

UK wrote:
Cubfanintheknow wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Where you at out of curiosity?

You're in Kenosha too?

Close enough
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:08 am

Cubfanintheknow wrote:
UK wrote:
Cubfanintheknow wrote:

You're in Kenosha too?

Close enough

Stay safe, I know the school board showed a lack of a spine.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:50 pm

After just one of fully remote learning, our school district is making plans to love to a hybrid model
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:41 pm

Our county’s numbers have been going down for over a month. We got off the California state watchlist last week. So today the state announced the watchlist system is no more and now there’s a color-tier system that just happens to set the numbers for getting out of the worst tier at just below where the populous counties currently are.

I’m not saying they’re wrong on the new standards. I’m pretty nervous about any reopening after what happened in June. But it’s hard to care about their imaginary lines when we all know they don’t mean anything
0 x

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:55 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Our county’s numbers have been going down for over a month. We got off the California state watchlist last week. So today the state announced the watchlist system is no more and now there’s a color-tier system that just happens to set the numbers for getting out of the worst tier at just below where the populous counties currently are.

I’m not saying they’re wrong on the new standards. I’m pretty nervous about any reopening after what happened in June. But it’s hard to care about their imaginary lines when we all know they don’t mean anything

This horsefeathers drives me crazy. The virus crossed the largest ocean on the planet! Differentiating between counties and states is pretty much pointless.
0 x

Return to “Social”