CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

entbird79
Starter

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby entbird79 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:29 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
entbird79 wrote:I hope that abuck1220, Bob Sanders and others from Iowa are well. It's quite the horsefeathers show around here with cases skyrocketing, schools being forced to be open, and absolute negligence from leadership.

I stay the horsefeathers away from everyone all the time under normal circumstances. It's my damn housemates that scare me because they'll talk to anyone. 6 months later I am still finding myself saying "you know we're still in the middle of a pandemic, right?" I'm hoping we're far enough removed from downtown Iowa City to stay safe for a while longer.

It's not just the schools being open, it's that they're full steam ahead on extra curriculars as well. The high school already had 2 confirmed cases the first week, but that didn't stop volleyball or football from happening.

I've never been so glad to be old and not care about going out or seeing anyone & thankfully my kids are young enough that they can't go anywhere without us yet. We're in a county that isn't considered red yet but people are contracting it at a rapid pace. Not sure how Derwood went this long before his school had a case or a shutdown, we had a teacher with it three days into school and a classroom subsequently quarantined. Also, the theory of students not contracting it or spreading it is unequivocally false in my area. At the rate we're going there aren't going to be enough teachers for the students as it's almost daily that we have positive cases in the small districts that my wife and I work in.

Now we have the Governor taking a victory lap after a judge ruled that the Des Moines school district had to follow her idiotic mandates of 50% in person learning. The district has shown that there is no way that they have the space or capacity to be able to have all students in the buildings while maintaining safe social distancing and opted to go to online learning but apparently she is only concerned with getting the bodies back in the schools. If they choose to continue to have virtual classes the time will not count and the days will need to be made up at the end of the year. Many districts that are trying to do the right things at the local level to keep students and staff safe and even if they reach the 15% positivity rate for 14 days in their county they are still being told they have to be open.

With all of her half-assed regulations (no mask mandate ever) and reactive policy it's like Iowa is a part of a case study where they're trying to see how fast they can get the state to herd immunity.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:30 pm

gflore34 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Look, they flat out told us they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but NOBODY LISTENED.

They'd been far more likely to follow had safety rules at the urging of the President and Federal Government. We didn't have to be in this circumstance, I dare say Trump is the worst possible person in World history to be in a position of authority during a Nation wide emergency. Maybe a bit melodramatic of me on the last part.

Only shooting stars break the mold.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:35 pm

Derwood wrote:I assume those are all just students? Any reports on faculty or staff?

There were several staff at Auburn, but no faculty yet. My wife teaches at the Montgomery Campus. Her Dean wants to make the faculty go to campus to do work that they can do from home.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:38 pm

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:44 pm

Fitness guru Jillian Michaels, well known for her tough talk in coaching contestants on “The Biggest Loser,” revealed Tuesday that she contracted the coronavirus because she “let my guard down for an hour.”

“If you are afraid of COVID, you should not go to the gym,” Michaels said. “And I actually am a person who let my guard down. I haven’t even spoken about this publicly really, and a very close friend of mine gave me COVID several weeks ago.”

She continued: “I’m fortunate to have gone into it being healthy and I was able to get on the other side of it pretty quick. But, not everyone is that lucky, as we know. And all I can tell you is if you are afraid of getting COVID, a public gym is probably a place where you will get it.

“And I would love to tell you that’s not the case, but the reality is I literally let my guard down for an hour with one of my best friends who does my hair and makeup and got it.”
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:50 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:https://youtu.be/wEmJH7JsKgM

2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:04 pm

Would this have been handled better at the federal/state level under Clinton? Yes, most assuredly.

But the chuds who refuse to wear masks because Trump says they shouldn't would also refuse to wear masks because the mean libtard lady told them should
0 x

entbird79
Starter

Postby entbird79 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:13 pm

Derwood wrote:Would this have been handled better at the federal/state level under Clinton? Yes, most assuredly.

But the chuds who refuse to wear masks because Trump says they shouldn't would also refuse to wear masks because the mean libtard lady told them should

I don't know. The town that I live in has one Walmart that these chuds definitely wear a mask in when they go in there, because they have to. They're idiots but they need to get their cheap groceries one way or another.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:14 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Its weird how well executed it is for some of the scenes, most especially Kill Bill, and how off and pointless others are, like 300. Gave it a like just because of Network. Anything that references that scene deserves an award. BCS is better than BB solely because of that fact.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:38 pm

entbird79 wrote:
Derwood wrote:Would this have been handled better at the federal/state level under Clinton? Yes, most assuredly.

I don't know. The town that I live in has one Walmart that these chuds definitely wear a mask in when they go in there, because they have to. They're idiots but they need to get their cheap groceries one way or another.

My point is that a super-spreader event like Sturgis is just as likely to happen under Clinton as it is under Trump
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:55 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1303443741764661253?s=20

Well, horsefeathers

No legit outlet seems to be looking at this as more than a routine blip with these sorts of trials, if that. It's only one person out of 30,000.

Yeah, if anything it makes me feel better that one person out of 10's of thousands gets sick (or has some kind of health related episode) is enough to pause things and take a closer look. With that many people, I'd think this happens fairly often, and probably/usually unrelated to the drug/vaccine/whatever being tested.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:00 pm

Derwood wrote:
entbird79 wrote:

My point is that a super-spreader event like Sturgis is just as likely to happen under Clinton as it is under Trump

Probably, large gatherings certainly increases the risk of contact however, what if the event was serious about social distancing and mask wearing? What if it was strictly enforced? Rather than just a suggestion?
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:07 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

I hate you both and what you've done to this place
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:14 pm

Derwood wrote:
entbird79 wrote:

It might actually have been worse due to the ODD nature of the GOP and their voters.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:16 pm

David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1303443741764661253?s=20

Well, horsefeathers

No legit outlet seems to be looking at this as more than a routine blip with these sorts of trials, if that. It's only one person out of 30,000.

Yeah, if anything it makes me feel better that one person out of 10's of thousands gets sick (or has some kind of health related episode) is enough to pause things and take a closer look. With that many people, I'd think this happens fairly often, and probably/usually unrelated to the drug/vaccine/whatever being tested.

This same vaccine project paused earlier for the same thing (and it turned out to be due to an unknown pre-existing condition with that person); that's how they're supposed to work. This should make people feel better about the process/safety of the vaccines.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:19 pm

Derwood wrote:
entbird79 wrote:

Probably not. You would have always had pushback, but a centralized, top-down response much earlier that emphasized the severity of what the country (and the world) was dealing with would have resulted in significantly more effective measures across the country, including in the red states. The Trump administration's bizarre, scattershot and laissez-faire approach was basically a neon welcome sign for local governments to make these kinds of mistakes.

Also: people should REALLY take those Sturgis numbers with a gran of salt. The uproar is based on a TON of guesswork by some economists.
2 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:31 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Also: people should REALLY take those Sturgis numbers with a gran of salt. The uproar is based on a TON of guesswork by some economists.

Correct. As much as I want to mock and disparage possibly the nastiest subculture in America (bikers), that report seems crazy exaggerated. I've seen lots of doctors online just absolutely obliterating that report. During the timeframe they studied there were a million positive cases in the US and so they're claiming that Sturgis is responsible for 25% of the entire nation's positive tests? That's silly. I also believe the dates they used overlapped perfectly with the enormous spike we saw from initial college/school testing. There's a reason they couldn't find a single journal to publish it.
2 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:02 pm

what exactly did Trump think these interviews with Woodward were for?

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:09 pm

Brian wrote:what exactly did Trump think these interviews with Woodward were for?

Yes, I mentioned this in the politics thread a few days ago. Maggie Haberman tweeted that the book has the administration "rattled". I don't think anything is going to move his voters though.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:20 pm

CubinNY wrote:I don't think anything is going to move his voters though.

There’s some old southern saying that the only thing that can ruin a popular politician is to be caught with a dead girl or a live boy. Honestly I’m not even sure one of those would defect rubes from their Trump worship at this point.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:22 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
CubinNY wrote:I don't think anything is going to move his voters though.

There’s some old southern saying that the only thing that can ruin a popular politician is to be caught with a dead girl or a live boy. Honestly I’m not even sure one of those would defect rubes from their Trump worship at this point.

Not the former but probably the latter
0 x
Win it for Fred

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:25 pm

Brian wrote:what exactly did Trump think these interviews with Woodward were for?

The thing I took away from this was that Trump came across as a normal, reasonably intelligent, person in the audio recording. So he knows and understands what is going on, but chooses to withhold and deceive rather than act on it.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:41 pm

One of the kids we see at my clinic just tested positive for COVID-19, FML.
0 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:09 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:

The thing I took away from this was that Trump came across as a normal, reasonably intelligent, person in the audio recording. So he knows and understands what is going on, but chooses to withhold and deceive rather than act on it.

So he thought it really would just go away even though he’s describing in clear terms a pathogen that cannot possibly do that.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:28 am

My big question would be if the CDC still issues the early warnings against mask-wearing under Clinton. As much as we want to pile on Trump and he deserves every bit of it, that was just as damaging.
0 x

Return to “Social”