CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19385
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2826
x 1088

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:22 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:When I checked a few days ago, Germany was about 1/2 per capita what California is, and France was worse per capita than California. And California isn't one of the better US states. So they're definitely in the ballpark.


you think everything revolves around your state dont you

thats soooooooo Californian of you


I may not be here much longer. Brother-in-law is looking for jobs in other states. He's an audio engineer at Disneyland, has been laid off since March and it doesn't look like the state is in any hurry to let them reopen. If they move, I have to choose and I'd probably have to go with them, because I want my kid to grow up wit his cousins since he doesn't have any siblings of his own.


At that point you'll get to find out what the other western states (if you stay in the west) think of transplanted Californians.....which is to say not much. Californians have a habit of ditching their state but bringing with them a lot of money that drives up real estate markets and such.

whatever, do what you have to, and good luck!
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62146
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3407
x 11971

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:10 am


Mind boggling

Safety theater to enter then mask off indoor spin class for an hour.

“Could happen anywhere”
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6497
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 6544
x 2824

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:50 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
you think everything revolves around your state dont you

thats soooooooo Californian of you


I may not be here much longer. Brother-in-law is looking for jobs in other states. He's an audio engineer at Disneyland, has been laid off since March and it doesn't look like the state is in any hurry to let them reopen. If they move, I have to choose and I'd probably have to go with them, because I want my kid to grow up wit his cousins since he doesn't have any siblings of his own.


At that point you'll get to find out what the other western states (if you stay in the west) think of transplanted Californians.....which is to say not much. Californians have a habit of ditching their state but bringing with them a lot of money that drives up real estate markets and such.

whatever, do what you have to, and good luck!

horsefeathers do I hate nativist horsefeathers like this. Unreal.
4 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62715
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 10717
x 6062

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby David » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:10 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
I may not be here much longer. Brother-in-law is looking for jobs in other states. He's an audio engineer at Disneyland, has been laid off since March and it doesn't look like the state is in any hurry to let them reopen. If they move, I have to choose and I'd probably have to go with them, because I want my kid to grow up wit his cousins since he doesn't have any siblings of his own.


At that point you'll get to find out what the other western states (if you stay in the west) think of transplanted Californians.....which is to say not much. Californians have a habit of ditching their state but bringing with them a lot of money that drives up real estate markets and such.

whatever, do what you have to, and good luck!

horsefeathers do I hate nativist horsefeathers like this. Unreal.


yeah when i read that i rolled my eyes so hard they still haven't stopped spinning
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19385
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2826
x 1088

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:03 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
I may not be here much longer. Brother-in-law is looking for jobs in other states. He's an audio engineer at Disneyland, has been laid off since March and it doesn't look like the state is in any hurry to let them reopen. If they move, I have to choose and I'd probably have to go with them, because I want my kid to grow up wit his cousins since he doesn't have any siblings of his own.


At that point you'll get to find out what the other western states (if you stay in the west) think of transplanted Californians.....which is to say not much. Californians have a habit of ditching their state but bringing with them a lot of money that drives up real estate markets and such.

whatever, do what you have to, and good luck!

horsefeathers do I hate nativist horsefeathers like this. Unreal.



I do too, and I guess I should have used a different color font to illustrate my sarcasm in the first part of that post

I was joking with Harry in my first post about being "sooooo Californian", but I'm honest in the second part of my second post.
0 x
Image

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14773
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2948
x 1750

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:14 pm

My school district (a k-12 district) was the first in DuPage county to go back to in person learning a few weeks ago. Aaannnd now they're going back to 100% remote until at least Nov 4.

Bars are still open though!
0 x
Image

User avatar
Thurman Merman
Starter
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:43 pm
x 701
x 218

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Thurman Merman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:42 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:My school district (a k-12 district) was the first in DuPage county to go back to in person learning a few weeks ago. Aaannnd now they're going back to 100% remote until at least Nov 4.

Bars are still open though!

Which school? And I assume it's because of a vivid breakout? My kids kindergarten in Wheaton has been in person since September 1st, and they've been doing good since.
1 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 81162
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3496
x 5457
Contact:

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:48 am

Thurman Merman wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:My school district (a k-12 district) was the first in DuPage county to go back to in person learning a few weeks ago. Aaannnd now they're going back to 100% remote until at least Nov 4.

Bars are still open though!

Which school? And I assume it's because of a vivid breakout? My kids kindergarten in Wheaton has been in person since September 1st, and they've been doing good since.


Yep my daughter has been going in person 5 days a week (only 9-1 though) since early Sept in Wheaton and there have been no COVID issues yet (that we know about). The way the cases are starting to spike, I imagine it won’t be long until there is an issue
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73043
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1507
x 3283

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Derwood » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:53 am

Our district's teachers are on strike because they refuse to teach people in the classroom and at home at the same time
0 x

User avatar
Thurman Merman
Starter
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:43 pm
x 701
x 218

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Thurman Merman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:18 am

UMFan83 wrote:
Thurman Merman wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:My school district (a k-12 district) was the first in DuPage county to go back to in person learning a few weeks ago. Aaannnd now they're going back to 100% remote until at least Nov 4.

Bars are still open though!

Which school? And I assume it's because of a vivid breakout? My kids kindergarten in Wheaton has been in person since September 1st, and they've been doing good since.


Yep my daughter has been going in person 5 days a week (only 9-1 though) since early Sept in Wheaton and there have been no COVID issues yet (that we know about). The way the cases are starting to spike, I imagine it won’t be long until there is an issue

They actually did have 1 covid case at my kids school, but so far it hasn't amounted to anything. Though they didn't quarantine anyone because of some bs about that kid somehow not able to expose others
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 35612
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2553
x 3201

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:38 am

I thought this study started to nail down something we already pretty much knew:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20212233v1

The superspread phenomenon can only really be explained if a small percentage of people are way more infectious than everybody else. We keep seeing that most people don't spread it to anyone or maybe one other person. 80% of people who are in a household with a positive test don't end up testing positive themselves. But a small number of people spread it to many people, often dozens.

When we're talking about schools, that's why I think the most important tool we have is limiting the potential spread network. Keep kids and teachers in small, self-contained groups. That way, when Little Johnny Virusbreath shows up, you get 10 cases instead of 50.
2 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62146
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3407
x 11971

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:48 am

Hoboken had an anti masker COVID hoax douchebag in a hostage situation with his wife and child. Police ended it peacefully and he’s under arrest. So like this could be in half a dozen threads on this site.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84481
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15369
x 17708

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:54 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I thought this study started to nail down something we already pretty much knew:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20212233v1

The superspread phenomenon can only really be explained if a small percentage of people are way more infectious than everybody else. We keep seeing that most people don't spread it to anyone or maybe one other person. 80% of people who are in a household with a positive test don't end up testing positive themselves. But a small number of people spread it to many people, often dozens.

When we're talking about schools, that's why I think the most important tool we have is limiting the potential spread network. Keep kids and teachers in small, self-contained groups. That way, when Little Johnny Virusbreath shows up, you get 10 cases instead of 50.


Yeah, and it's why the slow motion car crash that's going on where I work is driving me insane.

Working from home isn't an option due to the security clearance-based systems, so early on (basically the beginning of March) they split the entire work force into alternating weeks, and anyone considered high risk was home indefinitely. And it worked! Everyone was able to space out from each other, mask usage was embraced early on, and cases stayed very, very low.

But since September 1st, it's been a cascading effect of different offices/groups pushing to get back as many of their people as possible. The problem is none of this is truly compartmentalized; you bring back one group to full time as much possible, and then you need their support groups and partner offices back with more and more people, too. And then their support and partner offices...and so on and so on and so on.

So everyone is still wearing masks...but that's about it. The high risk categories were sharply pared down, so most of those folks are back, too. More offices than not are working all the time, close to or at 100%, even though the alternating week setup is technically in effect at least until December. We can't open windows or doors because it's a secure facility. No UV filters or air purifiers have been added anywhere. Technically being 6 feet apart at your desks is considered enough for an office to be authorized to bring people back, but horsefeathering 6 feet is the guidance for having passing contact with someone, not horsefeathering sitting next to them for 8+ hours.

The higher ups keep touting the low infection rate, but it's low only because they only test people if they're "feeling sick." I figured by the time this many people were back on site there'd be at least required weekly testing for everyone....nope. Not even close. And I've already dealt with the fallout of people scrambling to how to figure out how to cover for teams where suddenly everyone is out indefinitely because of a suspected case (or more). Shocker that not having ANY of your staff for 2 weeks or more is worse than having half of your staff each week.

It's not going to go well. I have little doubt we'll be back on a strict weekly split again soon enough.
1 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 35612
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2553
x 3201

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:55 am

Meanwhile, though, everything is just turning to horsefeathers and there's probably nothing we can do about it. Cases are going up everywhere, nobody really wants more restrictions, and the holidays are going to be a nightmare. Nobody's *really* going to skip family thanksgiving or christmas.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84481
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15369
x 17708

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:00 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Meanwhile, though, everything is just turning to horsefeathers and there's probably nothing we can do about it. Cases are going up everywhere, nobody really wants more restrictions, and the holidays are going to be a nightmare. Nobody's *really* going to skip family thanksgiving or christmas.


Yeah, the whole question of how much treatment has improved/infections are mostly surging with less vulnerable demographics is REALLY going to be put to the test over the next 3 months. I love getting together with my family for the holidays, but the choice to skip it all is an easy one this year.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62146
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3407
x 11971

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:24 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote: Nobody's *really* going to skip family thanksgiving or christmas.

There are literally millions of Americans that would love to skip the family holiday get together season.
7 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38425
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1483
x 2007

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:25 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote: Nobody's *really* going to skip family thanksgiving or christmas.

There are literally millions of Americans that would love to skip the family holiday get together season.


Amen
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38425
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1483
x 2007

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:38 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Meanwhile, though, everything is just turning to horsefeathers and there's probably nothing we can do about it. Cases are going up everywhere, nobody really wants more restrictions, and the holidays are going to be a nightmare. Nobody's *really* going to skip family thanksgiving or christmas.


Yeah, the whole question of how much treatment has improved/infections are mostly surging with less vulnerable demographics is REALLY going to be put to the test over the next 3 months. I love getting together with my family for the holidays, but the choice to skip it all is an easy one this year.


Obviously we know how to treat it better, but is it possible that the lowering death rate worldwide is also due to the fact that it's already burned through the most vulnerable among us? I mean, 47% of all deaths in the US have been in nursing homes. I saw that the WHO released a peer reviewed paper yesterday that said that the IFR for people under 70 is 0.05% (1 in 2,000). So I doubt we're going to see a rise in deaths among the less vulnerable demographics.

The recent surge in Europe hasn't been reflected in a surge in deaths. Hopefully we'll be so lucky.

Spain:



France:



Sweden:

0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84481
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15369
x 17708

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:48 am

"Ideally" (as ideal as it can be to say, "yay, the sick and the old have been maybe killed off enough!"), yeah, that's the case. The problem with the holidays is that these are prime times/events for super spreader events among or from people stuck in a relatively small space for way too long with way too many people doing things that are going to lead to too many masks being off. The warmer months at least helped mitigate that by pushing more people outside/windows being open/etc..
0 x

User avatar
wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6773
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:49 am
Location: Brussels, Belgium
x 750
x 183
Contact:

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby wvcbxl » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:42 am

OleMissCub wrote:The recent surge in Europe hasn't been reflected in a surge in deaths.


Yet - deaths are starting to trend upwards though.
As the head of the largest university hospital in Brussels put it: there's a 10 to 14 day interval between each of the phases of the surge
1. positive test numbers explode
2. hospital admission numbers go up
3. ICU numbers go up
4. morgue numbers go up

(obviously, that logic only works for a small country like Belgium - not sure how that scales to the US)

Projections earlier this week were that Belgium would reach full ICU capacity mid november, so the government hit the brakes yesterday evening (nationwide closure of all bars and restaurants and 12pm - 5am curfew are the most notable measures) - the stated goal is to keep schools and businesses open as much as possible.
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38425
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1483
x 2007

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:03 pm

wvcbxl wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:The recent surge in Europe hasn't been reflected in a surge in deaths.


Yet - deaths are starting to trend upwards though.
As the head of the largest university hospital in Brussels put it: there's a 10 to 14 day interval between each of the phases of the surge
1. positive test numbers explode
2. hospital admission numbers go up
3. ICU numbers go up
4. morgue numbers go up

(obviously, that logic only works for a small country like Belgium - not sure how that scales to the US)

Projections earlier this week were that Belgium would reach full ICU capacity mid november, so the government hit the brakes yesterday evening (nationwide closure of all bars and restaurants and 12pm - 5am curfew are the most notable measures) - the stated goal is to keep schools and businesses open as much as possible.


10-14 days? Did you not see the graphs I posted? Europe’s second wave began in August. It’s now mid October. In the first wave there was a congruence between the wave of cases and the wave of deaths. The graphs for this second wave look nothing like that. What has changed to make the graphs look so different? That’s what we’re discussing.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 33443
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 3198
x 7462
Contact:

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby big ball chunky time » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:34 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Hoboken had an anti masker COVID hoax douchebag in a hostage situation with his wife and child. Police ended it peacefully and he’s under arrest. So like this could be in half a dozen threads on this site.


guess what an idiot with (gestures at everything) did
3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6497
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 6544
x 2824

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:21 pm

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 33443
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 3198
x 7462
Contact:

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby big ball chunky time » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:32 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:https://twitter.com/Cleavon_MD/status/1317581045890383873?s=19


anyone who poses like that in the hospital deserves death
5 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24296
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 960
x 2506

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:37 pm

it never matters until it's me
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DonnieD, javy knows my name, rocket and 8 guests