CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:40 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:
Rob wrote:I had been thinking I was likely going to be good tomorrow for some of the reasons you all outlined, but I'm certainly glad to hear that it definitely is already working like that elsewhere. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

What kind of clinic are you going to? In IL it’s basically honor system. If you attest that you are in the current phase, we give you your shot. No proof needed. We don’t have the time to police this thing, but unfortunately MANY people have taken advantage of it.

Legit not mad at all people are jumping lines. It’s better than refusing to get it. The more the merrier.

But I’m too much of a coward.
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:44 am

my second shot is tomorrow morning

(for the astrazeneca trial - for anyone who missed that - 2/3 chance it was real vaccine - maybe a little higher based on the side effects i had from the first one)
2 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:47 am

Cases still plummeting, hospitalizations down 2,500 today. We have fully erased the holiday spiked and are back to early November numbers.

Vaccination pace holding steady over the weekend:

A couple of the more public experts like Osterholm and Gottilieb were making the rounds today really pushing a spring fourth wave due to variants. I can’t tell if they’re seeing something I’m not or if they’re just trying to make sure we don’t lose compliance too fast as things improve.

The best thing we can do is just keep our heads down and keep things going like this for another month before we start talking about how we are going to reopen. We are descending fast but we are coming down from a very high peak, it will take awhile.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:02 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:
Rob wrote:I had been thinking I was likely going to be good tomorrow for some of the reasons you all outlined, but I'm certainly glad to hear that it definitely is already working like that elsewhere. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

What kind of clinic are you going to? In IL it’s basically honor system. If you attest that you are in the current phase, we give you your shot. No proof needed. We don’t have the time to police this thing, but unfortunately MANY people have taken advantage of it.

Yeah, it's in IL. I'm getting my shot in a small clinic that is getting the extra doses from the local hospitals. It's not run by the Department of Health. When I did speak with them on the phone they sounded a lot more like they might police it. They wanted a paystub or a work badge. I've got both, but one of the judges is supposedly writing a letter as well. So even if they are policing it, it looks like I'm going to qualify regardless. And like you said, it appears a lot of places are doing honor system anyways.

And even if I didn't technically qualify, in all honesty this is around the place I should be getting my vaccine anyways. I've got more than a few co-morbidities here. Fat guy, A+ blood, etc... And I'm dealing with the public all day every day in an essential role.

I imagine a few of the line-jumpers are in similar situations. They may have an extenuating circumstance that isn't necessarily readily-apparent, but leaves them feeling it's their appropriate place in line for whatever reason. I'm okay with most of those.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:40 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:A couple of the more public experts like Osterholm and Gottilieb were making the rounds today really pushing a spring fourth wave due to variants. I can’t tell if they’re seeing something I’m not or if they’re just trying to make sure we don’t lose compliance too fast as things improve.

I'd bet heavily on the latter.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:59 pm

anyone in IL/chicagoland have any tips for trying to get my mom signed up somewhere (she's 80)?

she called her PCP and they basically told her to go to walgreens/jewel/etc. i've been trying to look up slots for her but no dice (and a couple sites that were assisting in finding open slots aren't working anymore due to changes walgreens made to their security or something).

she's on the call list for her suburb's local board of health and they are going to have a clinic going, but as of yet she hasn't gotten a call to schedule appointment and there's no information on when that might be. just trying to cover all my bases to get her in asap.
0 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:11 pm

Andy wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:A couple of the more public experts like Osterholm and Gottilieb were making the rounds today really pushing a spring fourth wave due to variants. I can’t tell if they’re seeing something I’m not or if they’re just trying to make sure we don’t lose compliance too fast as things improve.

Osterholm was calling for a shift to prioritizing getting as many first doses administered as possible. If he was solely pushing for compliance I wouldn't expect he would call for "an audible" as he put it. But the two aren't mutually exclusive. I think he's looking at what happened in the UK, and the explosion of cases there. But also raising the spectre of something like that to emphasize the need for compliance.

It was pretty scary to listen to him yesterday.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:21 pm

Yep, despite Kyle's optimism (huh?) about the downward trend of recent numbers, every headline is "the worst is yet to come!!!"
0 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:26 pm

Derwood wrote:Yep, despite Kyle's optimism (huh?) about the downward trend of recent numbers, every headline is "the worst is yet to come!!!"

Hope they are wrong though. And they could be, if we ramp up vaccine administration quickly and people obey the #@$@#{&*U rules.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:27 pm

Is there any evidence that the UK variant hasn't already been here horsefeathering horsefeathers up all winter?
0 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:30 pm

David wrote:Is there any evidence that the UK variant hasn't already been here horsefeathering horsefeathers up all winter?

None that I know of. What I've heard is that we are basically flying blind because we don't really test for variants. At least not up until now.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:29 pm

Osterholm can suck my taint.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:34 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Osterholm can suck my taint.

in this economy?
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:35 pm

David wrote:Is there any evidence that the UK variant hasn't already been here horsefeathering horsefeathers up all winter?

Of course it has. I certainly hope no one would be silly enough to believe the first time someone caught one of the variants in a test was the first time it was in the entire country. We already know COVID was here multiple months before anybody knew it, of course the variants were too.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Osterholm can suck my taint.

in this economy?

Man's gotta eat.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:02 pm

Soul wrote:
Andy wrote:

Osterholm was calling for a shift to prioritizing getting as many first doses administered as possible. If he was solely pushing for compliance I wouldn't expect he would call for "an audible" as he put it. But the two aren't mutually exclusive. I think he's looking at what happened in the UK, and the explosion of cases there. But also raising the spectre of something like that to emphasize the need for compliance.

It was pretty scary to listen to him yesterday.

It should be noted that Osterholm has a history of pushing worst-case scenarios that don't come to fruition. Here he is doom-bonering about ebola in 2014, an epidemic that ultimately killed 11,000 people over three years and featured a total of four cases in the United States: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... rse-111493

And that the UK is already seeing a drastic reduction in covid, with cases well under half of what they were a few weeks ago. So the B117 variant sure doesn't look unstoppable to me.
3 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:04 pm

I *think* they're just trying to scare people into staying compliant. We've got a *long* way to go to come down from the highs, and loose behavior could reverse things pretty fast. It would be ideal if people stayed hunkered down for another month or two, and an accurate headline of "holy jeez covid is disappearing fast" might counteract that.

If I'm wrong and we get a variant-driven fourth wave in March, well, sorry?
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:06 pm

The South African variant and its cousin in Brazil makes me more nervous than the UK one does. It's not full immune escape, but it weakens existing immunity, which is our best asset.
0 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:30 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I *think* they're just trying to scare people into staying compliant. We've got a *long* way to go to come down from the highs, and loose behavior could reverse things pretty fast. It would be ideal if people stayed hunkered down for another month or two, and an accurate headline of "holy jeez covid is disappearing fast" might counteract that.

If I'm wrong and we get a variant-driven fourth wave in March, well, sorry?

I won't hold it against you :D

It's not just him, CNN decided to post an article today that paints a very dark picture.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/us/coronavirus-vaccines-variants-return-to-normal/index.html
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:33 pm

That's a, IMO, cruddy article predicated on talking about how bummed out the average person feels because of the negative news (SO close to self-awareness, CNN), the ongoing doom-bonering in the non-science press about how a lack of a guarantee that the variants won't get too bad means they WILL almost certainly be the worst case scenario, and, most hilariously, how the idea of people having to or even just being encouraged to wear masks for the foreseeable future is some nightmare proposition.
1 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:11 pm

For anybody curious, I got my first shot today.

I walked in equipped with a big package of documents to back up my claims of 1B status. Work ID, paystub, letter from the chief public defender, letter from a judge, etc... I was prepared to mount a vociferous defense.

I got asked two questions.

1.) Did you already fill out this form we e-mailed to you?

2.) Left arm or right?

They didn't investigate it at all. In fact, the whole process was extremely streamlined. It was great. I had been worried for nothing.
7 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:50 am

0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:01 am

David wrote:https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/status/1356398488930504704?s=20

That’s a drop of 1500 in hospital census, twice last Monday’s drop.
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:01 am

not sure if there's a good place to find this, but what's the latest information on the CFR? has it gotten any better in the current wave than at the beginning (i.e. have we gotten better at treating it)?

obviously, it's about to get a whole lot better very soon, but just curious.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:37 am

David wrote:not sure if there's a good place to find this, but what's the latest information on the CFR? has it gotten any better in the current wave than at the beginning (i.e. have we gotten better at treating it)?

obviously, it's about to get a whole lot better very soon, but just curious.

I haven't seen much about it lately at all. I mostly look at IFR rather than CFR, and I remember seeing something in December about how it might be shrinking a little due to mAB. But mostly nobody seems to be talking about it anymore.
0 x

Return to “Social”