CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:33 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:If you squint you can kind of see the rate of drop in cases slow down a little bit this week. But I've thought that at mid-week the past couple of weeks, and then we usually get a few good days to balance it out, so I'm not sure.

I think it's possible that if the previous theory about this drop mostly being seasonality is true, then we could be approaching a point of diminishing returns until there's more shots in arms. Maybe I'm just extrapolating our local situation too much, but our 14 day case count is down to early October levels, and that is basically the higher end of the range we were stuck at from August until almost November. There's only so much more marginal gains without a lot of vaccinations unless we got fortunate with the amount of herd immunity we actually have.
1 x

abmillis
All-Star

Postby abmillis » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:49 pm

I have the option to get the Pfizer vaccine next week if I choose. I'm 33 and generally healthy, and eligible as a substitute teacher (I sub 2-3 times/week as a kind of side gig). Our county health dept. (i'm in rural southern IL) is scheduling people to receive their shots every 10 minutes from 8 am to 5 pm next Tuesday and Wednesday and right now only 1 slot is booked. Is it being selfish to go ahead and get the shot while I can? I know there are others who need it more than I do, but there are a whole lot of people down here who stupidly refuse to get the vaccine because "it hasn't been tested enough" and the other normal magabilly horsefeathers.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:50 pm

abmillis wrote:I have the option to get the Pfizer vaccine next week if I choose. I'm 33 and generally healthy, and eligible as a substitute teacher (I sub 2-3 times/week as a kind of side gig). Our county health dept. (i'm in rural southern IL) is scheduling people to receive their shots every 10 minutes from 8 am to 5 pm next Tuesday and Wednesday and right now only 1 slot is booked. Is it being selfish to go ahead and get the shot while I can? I know there are others who need it more than I do, but there are a whole lot of people down here who stupidly refuse to get the vaccine because "it hasn't been tested enough" and the other normal magabilly horsefeathers.

No you are not being selfish. Do it.
9 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:52 pm

abmillis wrote:I have the option to get the Pfizer vaccine next week if I choose. I'm 33 and generally healthy, and eligible as a substitute teacher (I sub 2-3 times/week as a kind of side gig). Our county health dept. (i'm in rural southern IL) is scheduling people to receive their shots every 10 minutes from 8 am to 5 pm next Tuesday and Wednesday and right now only 1 slot is booked. Is it being selfish to go ahead and get the shot while I can? I know there are others who need it more than I do, but there are a whole lot of people down here who stupidly refuse to get the vaccine because "it hasn't been tested enough" and the other normal magabilly horsefeathers.

No, I don't think it's selfish to get it if you can; as many people as possible need to get these vaccines as quickly as possible.

Sure, if you were able to actual slot someone at more risk to get your spot, I could see doing that....but you stepping aside just in general doesn't guarantee that that will happen. And you getting vaccinated DOES 100% help people at greater risk.
4 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:59 pm

no

look at it as we should be getting as many doses into people as possible as quickly as possible and you're helping do that
5 x

abmillis
All-Star

Postby abmillis » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:15 pm

That was my thinking as well. Gonna sign up and get it done.
5 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:23 pm

David wrote:

no

look at it as we should be getting as many doses into people as possible as quickly as possible and you're helping do that

Yep, I'm 34 and not in a jump-the-line category, but if for whatever reason I was told there was a shot available for me, I'm doing that horsefeathers immediately
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:31 pm

0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:12 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

No, I don't think it's selfish to get it if you can; as many people as possible need to get these vaccines as quickly as possible.

Sure, if you were able to actual slot someone at more risk to get your spot, I could see doing that....but you stepping aside just in general doesn't guarantee that that will happen. And you getting vaccinated DOES 100% help people at greater risk.

yeah, it's one thing if the vaccination opportunity is transferrable. deferring without direct transfer leaves all known parties without immunity. getting the vaccine, even if not in the pool of the highest risk, still protects the highest risk individuals. of course not to the same degree as being vaccinated individually, but still a non-trivial amount of protection is gained
2 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:43 pm

Yea my assumption will be whenever someone opens it up to me that the experts have already weighed whatever other risk factors are involved and I'll take what's available without trying to armchair public health the answer of if the shot to me provides the most societal marginal benefit. Not like you're trying to open some back door.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:15 pm

To put it simply: If you don't have to lie to get the shot, then get the shot.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:23 pm

Bertz wrote:To put it simply: If you don't have to lie to get the shot, then get the shot.

Smokers are eligible in New Jersey, I do not want to lie on the questionnaire saying I am a smoker. But is it ethical to start smoking?
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:28 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Bertz wrote:To put it simply: If you don't have to lie to get the shot, then get the shot.

Smokers are eligible in New Jersey, I do not want to lie on the questionnaire saying I am a smoker. But is it ethical to start smoking?

To be safe...

2 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:29 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

"i needed something to cope with the stress of not getting vaccinated"
3 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:47 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Apparently if you tell a doctor that you smoke a cigar twice a year, they label you as a smoker in your file and for insurance purposes. Such a pain in the ass to try to get them to change that horsefeathers.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:54 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Doesn't weed count as smoking?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:10 pm

stitchface wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Doesn't weed count as smoking?

2 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:17 pm

3 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:06 pm

another 2M dose day!

2 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:18 pm

David wrote:another 2M dose day!

IMO, we're about two months (with the help of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine) from having way too much demand to having to work to round up the stragglers.
5 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:18 am

im so excited for the possibilities of the summer. i enjoyed the summer last year with the kids, playing in the backyard with them, buying sprinklers and lights and swings etc. But it can't compete with the zoo and waterparks and things of that nature.
8 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:35 am

big ball chunky time wrote:im so excited for the possibilities of the summer. i enjoyed the summer last year with the kids, playing in the backyard with them, buying sprinklers and lights and swings etc. But it can't compete with the zoo and waterparks and things of that nature.

I have so many plans for this summer
1 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:29 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
David wrote:
IMO, we're about two months (with the help of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine) from having way too much demand to having to work to round up the stragglers.

Unfortunately the stragglers will be a problem in that there will be too many of them. Unless the airlines as example refuse to let someone fly who refused vaccination. Hopefully deterrents like this will help along the morons to getting the vaccine.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:46 am

The speed of the hospital drops is still accelerating.

Wednesday to Thursday drop as a percentage:

Today: -3.6%
One week ago: -3.1%
Two weeks ago: -2.9%
Three weeks ago: -2.2%
Four weeks ago: -0.7%
Five weeks ago: +2.3%

Just keep holding this trajectory for another month or two and we can all go back to normal.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:50 am

Thurman Merman wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:im so excited for the possibilities of the summer. i enjoyed the summer last year with the kids, playing in the backyard with them, buying sprinklers and lights and swings etc. But it can't compete with the zoo and waterparks and things of that nature.

I have so many plans for this summer

My kid (11, mentally disabled) has taken this all like a champ but I can't imagine how happy he's going to be when we get to do some of this favorite things again. And it's soon.
7 x

Return to “Social”