Is NSBB dying?

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 81162
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3495
x 5456
Contact:

Is NSBB dying?

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:55 am

I mentioned this in the game thread yesterday but it seems like the board has been abnormally dead lately. Like even more so than normal. Game threads are 1-2 pages, when something happens with the other Chicago teams there is 1 post about it if you’re lucky. It seems like the politics thread is the only one that has regular activity in it.

I know that this baseball season is really unusual and some people can’t get into it because it doesn’t feel real. But I feel like there was more posting than this before the season started even. I know we will never see the board as active as it was in say 2008. And we’re not the type of board that really attracts outsiders very often anymore. But what do we need to do to get the activity going again? I’ve been coming to this board for 17 years and it’s still a reflex to go to this place before I go to any other site when I start browsing the internet. But the way things have been trending, I find myself going more and more to places like twitter and reddit because there’s not a lot going on here.

/rant
2 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14773
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2948
x 1750

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:25 am

Have goony start a Tik Tok account to attract the youths.
9 x
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 68433
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 6965
x 6764

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby Banedon » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:22 pm

I definitely think other social media has made it less relevant. We still have our core group of people that come around though. Game threads probably hurt the worst from this...twitter is just so much better for that.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62139
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3407
x 11956

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:32 pm

Our country is so our finest websites probably will too
9 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73040
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1507
x 3281

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby Derwood » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:37 pm

It’s not just here. I’ve been a member at a music message board for over ten years that has almost completely dried up. For some unknown reason, people prefer having discussions on Facebook or Twitter
0 x

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33300
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1047

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:38 pm

Banedon wrote:I definitely think other social media has made it less relevant. We still have our core group of people that come around though. Game threads probably hurt the worst from this...twitter is just so much better for that.

I noticed some time ago that Twitter resulted in shorter game threads - outside of huge playoff games anyway
0 x

User avatar
weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9293
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 7164
x 1385

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby weis21 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:38 pm

Can only speak for myself but I’ve just been getting older and busier (responsibilities ugh!). The pandemic has really thrown me out of my rhythm too. It takes me longer to work from home and instead of hiding my work monitors in the office and reading NSBB i just watch a little TV when I have free time.

I do try and catch up when I can though.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73040
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1507
x 3281

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby Derwood » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:19 pm

I blame CT
1 x

User avatar
Bote McBoteface
All-Star
Posts: 3664
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:03 pm
Location: South Florida
x 59
x 240

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby Bote McBoteface » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:28 pm

Yeah message boards in general are just dying in this era of the internet, Its sad because i much prefer this format to any of the social medias. Maybe they’ll come back in style, maybe not. Either way I’ll keep reading all the active threads here because thats something I’ve done since 2003.
2 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 35605
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2546
x 3200

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:34 pm

I don’t actually like baseball and was mostly hung up on the Cubs never winning. Once they finally did, I don’t have to watch it anymore. It’s really just a badly designed sport
3 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73040
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1507
x 3281

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby Derwood » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:42 pm

Bote McBoteface wrote:Yeah message boards in general are just dying in this era of the internet, Its sad because i much prefer this format to any of the social medias. Maybe they’ll come back in style, maybe not. Either way I’ll keep reading all the active threads here because thats something I’ve done since 2003.


It's baffling since FB and Twitter are absolutely awful formats for discussion.

Reddit is probably the only real large-scale message board that continues to thrive
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10113
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 494
x 4416

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:50 pm

Derwood wrote:
Bote McBoteface wrote:Yeah message boards in general are just dying in this era of the internet, Its sad because i much prefer this format to any of the social medias. Maybe they’ll come back in style, maybe not. Either way I’ll keep reading all the active threads here because thats something I’ve done since 2003.


It's baffling since FB and Twitter are absolutely awful formats for discussion.

Reddit is probably the only real large-scale message board that continues to thrive

It's easier to grasp when you get that social media isn't about discussion. It's about performing to an audience.
1 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73040
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1507
x 3281

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby Derwood » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:06 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Bote McBoteface wrote:Yeah message boards in general are just dying in this era of the internet, Its sad because i much prefer this format to any of the social medias. Maybe they’ll come back in style, maybe not. Either way I’ll keep reading all the active threads here because thats something I’ve done since 2003.


It's baffling since FB and Twitter are absolutely awful formats for discussion.

Reddit is probably the only real large-scale message board that continues to thrive

It's easier to grasp when you get that social media isn't about discussion. It's about performing to an audience.


Sammy Sofa would love it
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 81162
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3495
x 5456
Contact:

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:50 pm

Maybe now that the Cubs are losing again the game threads will be bumping
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62139
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3407
x 11956

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:03 pm

From a personal standpoint I spend most of my NSBB time while at the office and I haven’t been in the office in five months. I’ve also made a concerted effort to cutdown on twitter and my days are spent juggling work and parenting, or out on the boat. I also haven’t seen more than a handful on innings this season.
6 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 33443
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 3197
x 7459
Contact:

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby big ball chunky time » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:12 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I don’t actually like baseball and was mostly hung up on the Cubs never winning. Once they finally did, I don’t have to watch it anymore. It’s really just a badly designed sport


this is so real lol.

Also 2016 was just so good as a cubs fan. Javy became Javy, peak KB, pitching was good, we were the best team all year and then won the world series. It was perfect.

Then life changed for me specifically, and everyone really. After the cubs won the WS, Trump won, my workload tripled, we had another kid, etc etc. There's not enough time for me to really follow six 3 1/2 hour games every week. I was watching a basketball game the other day and I didn't even recognize 75 percent of the players. I imagine there's a similar story for most of us.
5 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 35605
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2546
x 3200

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:28 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Our country is so our finest websites probably will too



I was thinking today about how between the long-term effects of covid, the rise of fascism and the oncoming global climate catastrophe, we’ve probably passed the peak for modern civilization and didn’t even notice until it was past.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 81162
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3495
x 5456
Contact:

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:42 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I don’t actually like baseball and was mostly hung up on the Cubs never winning. Once they finally did, I don’t have to watch it anymore. It’s really just a badly designed sport


this is so real lol.

Also 2016 was just so good as a cubs fan. Javy became Javy, peak KB, pitching was good, we were the best team all year and then won the world series. It was perfect.

Then life changed for me specifically, and everyone really. After the cubs won the WS, Trump won, my workload tripled, we had another kid, etc etc. There's not enough time for me to really follow six 3 1/2 hour games every week. I was watching a basketball game the other day and I didn't even recognize 75 percent of the players. I imagine there's a similar story for most of us.


The last thing you said about not recognizing basketball players rings true. I used to know like everyone in MLB and NBA, 95% of the skill players in football, etc. I’ve let all the other sports lag in attention span except baseball but even with baseball my attention has waned a bit. Still manage to stay on top of the Chicago teams but it’s crazy how detached I’ve been from basketball. And worse yet, I’ve turned into an old man yelling about how I can’t enjoy this new dangled style of basketball with everyone running up the court and jacking up 3’s every possession.
0 x
Win it for Fred

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24294
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 959
x 2497

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:23 pm

i'm going to go the opposite angle and say it actually is about the cubs

- they're owned by fascists (add in sinclair/russell/etc to the culture of trash)
- the owners don't even let us spend and improve the team
- the on-field product has been a disappointing and frustrating slog towards mediocrity in the last few years
- the people in charge of baseball ops refuse to make changes despite constantly talking about changes

i still am into it because i don't have a family or things that matter, but i can definitely see why people aren't into the cubs right now.
Last edited by 17 Seconds on Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19380
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2824
x 1088

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:07 am

Banning da bum was the turning point


#freedabum
5 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84478
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15352
x 17708

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:59 am

Image
0 x

User avatar
Omar
Superstar
Posts: 19792
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:10 am
x 559
x 1038

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby Omar » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:17 am

Besides Facebook and Twitter, reddit is a solid option

https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/

Their postgame thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/commen ... wers_cubs/) had more posts today than NSBB's actual gamethread.

Their game thread had 1.2k posts https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/commen ... /?sort=top
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6495
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 6543
x 2824

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:35 am

Omar wrote:Besides Facebook and Twitter, reddit is a solid option

https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/

Their postgame thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/commen ... wers_cubs/) had more posts today than NSBB's actual gamethread.

Their game thread had 1.2k posts https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/commen ... /?sort=top

Not that our game threads are a densely populated lair of awesome, but I have 0 interest in slogging through 1.2 K posts of reddit Cub opinions. Last time I spent some time at the Cub reddit, it was when that one a$$hat made the WP/circle game sign behind the Cubs reporter, and I did my best to scream into the void that is rando internet facism. No fun.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
Omar
Superstar
Posts: 19792
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:10 am
x 559
x 1038

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby Omar » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:44 am

You don't have to slog through 1.2k posts. Just sort by the top rated ones, and read those.
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 81162
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3495
x 5456
Contact:

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:57 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Omar wrote:Besides Facebook and Twitter, reddit is a solid option

https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/

Their postgame thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/commen ... wers_cubs/) had more posts today than NSBB's actual gamethread.

Their game thread had 1.2k posts https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/commen ... /?sort=top

Not that our game threads are a densely populated lair of awesome, but I have 0 interest in slogging through 1.2 K posts of reddit Cub opinions. Last time I spent some time at the Cub reddit, it was when that one a$$hat made the WP/circle game sign behind the Cubs reporter, and I did my best to scream into the void that is rando internet facism. No fun.


Yeah, there’s definitely a place for those high volume game threads on places like Reddit but for the most part, you get a lot of bad that goes with a little good, and every comment you read is basically from an anonymous person. The value of NSBB is that it’s a small community of people who have been contributing to the discussion for over a decade. I know at least a little bit about 95% of the people who post here. There is a snarky yet fun vibe to a lot of the discussion, almost like a discussion between a group of friends. If I say something stupid (and lord knows I have) I will get called out on it and laughs will be made at my expense. That doesn’t sound appealing, but it really is because there is that comfort level. I know when TT posts something I should pay attention. I know when Sofa or jersey or IMB posts something, I will probably laugh. (and there are other smart and other funny posters, just using them as an example). There is also a long history of shared inside jokes and memes that I definitely will not find anywhere else.

So yes I can find a ton of Cubs content and discussion elsewhere. But the reason I come to this board day after day after day as a habit is as much for everything else as it is Cubs discussion. Even if the board continues to see lower levels of activity, I really hope people still find time to visit and contribute.
3 x
Win it for Fred


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChiCubsFan, Derwood, NonProfitCow and 11 guests