Is NSBB dying?

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Is NSBB dying?

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:55 am

I mentioned this in the game thread yesterday but it seems like the board has been abnormally dead lately. Like even more so than normal. Game threads are 1-2 pages, when something happens with the other Chicago teams there is 1 post about it if you’re lucky. It seems like the politics thread is the only one that has regular activity in it.

I know that this baseball season is really unusual and some people can’t get into it because it doesn’t feel real. But I feel like there was more posting than this before the season started even. I know we will never see the board as active as it was in say 2008. And we’re not the type of board that really attracts outsiders very often anymore. But what do we need to do to get the activity going again? I’ve been coming to this board for 17 years and it’s still a reflex to go to this place before I go to any other site when I start browsing the internet. But the way things have been trending, I find myself going more and more to places like twitter and reddit because there’s not a lot going on here.

/rant
2 x
Win it for Fred

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Re: Is NSBB dying?

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:25 am

Have goony start a Tik Tok account to attract the youths.
9 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:22 pm

I definitely think other social media has made it less relevant. We still have our core group of people that come around though. Game threads probably hurt the worst from this...twitter is just so much better for that.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:32 pm

Our country is so our finest websites probably will too
9 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:37 pm

It’s not just here. I’ve been a member at a music message board for over ten years that has almost completely dried up. For some unknown reason, people prefer having discussions on Facebook or Twitter
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:38 pm

Banedon wrote:I definitely think other social media has made it less relevant. We still have our core group of people that come around though. Game threads probably hurt the worst from this...twitter is just so much better for that.

I noticed some time ago that Twitter resulted in shorter game threads - outside of huge playoff games anyway
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:38 pm

Can only speak for myself but I’ve just been getting older and busier (responsibilities ugh!). The pandemic has really thrown me out of my rhythm too. It takes me longer to work from home and instead of hiding my work monitors in the office and reading NSBB i just watch a little TV when I have free time.

I do try and catch up when I can though.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:19 pm

I blame CT
1 x

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:28 pm

Yeah message boards in general are just dying in this era of the internet, Its sad because i much prefer this format to any of the social medias. Maybe they’ll come back in style, maybe not. Either way I’ll keep reading all the active threads here because thats something I’ve done since 2003.
2 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:34 pm

I don’t actually like baseball and was mostly hung up on the Cubs never winning. Once they finally did, I don’t have to watch it anymore. It’s really just a badly designed sport
3 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:42 pm

Bote McBoteface wrote:Yeah message boards in general are just dying in this era of the internet, Its sad because i much prefer this format to any of the social medias. Maybe they’ll come back in style, maybe not. Either way I’ll keep reading all the active threads here because thats something I’ve done since 2003.

It's baffling since FB and Twitter are absolutely awful formats for discussion.

Reddit is probably the only real large-scale message board that continues to thrive
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:50 pm

Derwood wrote:
Bote McBoteface wrote:Yeah message boards in general are just dying in this era of the internet, Its sad because i much prefer this format to any of the social medias. Maybe they’ll come back in style, maybe not. Either way I’ll keep reading all the active threads here because thats something I’ve done since 2003.

Reddit is probably the only real large-scale message board that continues to thrive

It's easier to grasp when you get that social media isn't about discussion. It's about performing to an audience.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:06 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
Derwood wrote:

It's easier to grasp when you get that social media isn't about discussion. It's about performing to an audience.

Sammy Sofa would love it
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:50 pm

Maybe now that the Cubs are losing again the game threads will be bumping
0 x
Win it for Fred

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:03 pm

From a personal standpoint I spend most of my NSBB time while at the office and I haven’t been in the office in five months. I’ve also made a concerted effort to cutdown on twitter and my days are spent juggling work and parenting, or out on the boat. I also haven’t seen more than a handful on innings this season.
6 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:12 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I don’t actually like baseball and was mostly hung up on the Cubs never winning. Once they finally did, I don’t have to watch it anymore. It’s really just a badly designed sport

this is so real lol.

Also 2016 was just so good as a cubs fan. Javy became Javy, peak KB, pitching was good, we were the best team all year and then won the world series. It was perfect.

Then life changed for me specifically, and everyone really. After the cubs won the WS, Trump won, my workload tripled, we had another kid, etc etc. There's not enough time for me to really follow six 3 1/2 hour games every week. I was watching a basketball game the other day and I didn't even recognize 75 percent of the players. I imagine there's a similar story for most of us.
5 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:28 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Our country is so our finest websites probably will too

I was thinking today about how between the long-term effects of covid, the rise of fascism and the oncoming global climate catastrophe, we’ve probably passed the peak for modern civilization and didn’t even notice until it was past.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:42 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I don’t actually like baseball and was mostly hung up on the Cubs never winning. Once they finally did, I don’t have to watch it anymore. It’s really just a badly designed sport

this is so real lol.

Also 2016 was just so good as a cubs fan. Javy became Javy, peak KB, pitching was good, we were the best team all year and then won the world series. It was perfect.

Then life changed for me specifically, and everyone really. After the cubs won the WS, Trump won, my workload tripled, we had another kid, etc etc. There's not enough time for me to really follow six 3 1/2 hour games every week. I was watching a basketball game the other day and I didn't even recognize 75 percent of the players. I imagine there's a similar story for most of us.

The last thing you said about not recognizing basketball players rings true. I used to know like everyone in MLB and NBA, 95% of the skill players in football, etc. I’ve let all the other sports lag in attention span except baseball but even with baseball my attention has waned a bit. Still manage to stay on top of the Chicago teams but it’s crazy how detached I’ve been from basketball. And worse yet, I’ve turned into an old man yelling about how I can’t enjoy this new dangled style of basketball with everyone running up the court and jacking up 3’s every possession.
0 x
Win it for Fred

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:23 pm

i'm going to go the opposite angle and say it actually is about the cubs

- they're owned by fascists (add in sinclair/russell/etc to the culture of trash)
- the owners don't even let us spend and improve the team
- the on-field product has been a disappointing and frustrating slog towards mediocrity in the last few years
- the people in charge of baseball ops refuse to make changes despite constantly talking about changes

i still am into it because i don't have a family or things that matter, but i can definitely see why people aren't into the cubs right now.
Last edited by 17 Seconds on Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:07 am

Banning da bum was the turning point

#freedabum
5 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:59 am

0 x

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:17 am

Besides Facebook and Twitter, reddit is a solid option

https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/

Their postgame thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/commen ... wers_cubs/) had more posts today than NSBB's actual gamethread.

Their game thread had 1.2k posts https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/commen ... /?sort=top
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:35 am

Omar wrote:Besides Facebook and Twitter, reddit is a solid option

Their postgame thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/commen ... wers_cubs/) had more posts today than NSBB's actual gamethread.

Their game thread had 1.2k posts https://www.reddit.com/r/CHICubs/commen ... /?sort=top

Not that our game threads are a densely populated lair of awesome, but I have 0 interest in slogging through 1.2 K posts of reddit Cub opinions. Last time I spent some time at the Cub reddit, it was when that one a$$hat made the WP/circle game sign behind the Cubs reporter, and I did my best to scream into the void that is rando internet facism. No fun.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:44 am

You don't have to slog through 1.2k posts. Just sort by the top rated ones, and read those.
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:57 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Omar wrote:Besides Facebook and Twitter, reddit is a solid option

Not that our game threads are a densely populated lair of awesome, but I have 0 interest in slogging through 1.2 K posts of reddit Cub opinions. Last time I spent some time at the Cub reddit, it was when that one a$$hat made the WP/circle game sign behind the Cubs reporter, and I did my best to scream into the void that is rando internet facism. No fun.

Yeah, there’s definitely a place for those high volume game threads on places like Reddit but for the most part, you get a lot of bad that goes with a little good, and every comment you read is basically from an anonymous person. The value of NSBB is that it’s a small community of people who have been contributing to the discussion for over a decade. I know at least a little bit about 95% of the people who post here. There is a snarky yet fun vibe to a lot of the discussion, almost like a discussion between a group of friends. If I say something stupid (and lord knows I have) I will get called out on it and laughs will be made at my expense. That doesn’t sound appealing, but it really is because there is that comfort level. I know when TT posts something I should pay attention. I know when Sofa or jersey or IMB posts something, I will probably laugh. (and there are other smart and other funny posters, just using them as an example). There is also a long history of shared inside jokes and memes that I definitely will not find anywhere else.

So yes I can find a ton of Cubs content and discussion elsewhere. But the reason I come to this board day after day after day as a habit is as much for everything else as it is Cubs discussion. Even if the board continues to see lower levels of activity, I really hope people still find time to visit and contribute.
3 x
Win it for Fred

Return to “Social”