Justice Ginsburg has died

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35479
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1035
x 7260

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:27 am

I can only assume we’ll see basically the same statement from DJT.

Last edited by Ding Dong Johnson on Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Image

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38311
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1452
x 1906

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:27 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:GOPers are going to replace RGB. That's that.

The Dems only choice to save Roe v Wade is to pack the court starting Jan 20 and get it done before a legal challenge can actually make it to the court.


I have some hope that they won’t overturn it. They’re not stupid men and they know what complete and total chaos and unrest that would cause. I think they’ll just refuse to grant cert to any challenges and just avoid the issue.
0 x

NonProfitCow
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5025
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am
x 238
x 864

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby NonProfitCow » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:28 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Is it better for the republican machinery to try to ram a nominee through(which I’m guessing will be unpopular even by gop governing standards), or is it better to turn the election into judges v Biden instead of Trump v Biden?

You'd be guessing wrong. They'll do both.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 35309
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2420
x 2918

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:31 am

OleMissCub wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:GOPers are going to replace RGB. That's that.

The Dems only choice to save Roe v Wade is to pack the court starting Jan 20 and get it done before a legal challenge can actually make it to the court.


I have some hope that they won’t overturn it. They’re not stupid men and they know what complete and total chaos and unrest that would cause. I think they’ll just refuse to grant cert to any challenges and just avoid the issue.


America is running for-profit concentration camps and you still think there’s a line where chaos and unrest would occur?
Last edited by Hairyducked Idiot on Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23673
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 432
x 893

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby CubinNY » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:32 am

The election is now in chaos.
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14404
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2602
x 1613

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:33 am

OleMissCub wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:GOPers are going to replace RGB. That's that.

The Dems only choice to save Roe v Wade is to pack the court starting Jan 20 and get it done before a legal challenge can actually make it to the court.


I have some hope that they won’t overturn it. They’re not stupid men and they know what complete and total chaos and unrest that would cause. I think they’ll just refuse to grant cert to any challenges and just avoid the issue.

Okay even if you take that stance, they will gut everything else possible up to overturnimg it. Robert's can't stand in the way on the basis of jurisprudence anymore.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Thurman Merman
Starter
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:43 pm
x 676
x 214

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby Thurman Merman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:34 am

NonProfitCow wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Is it better for the republican machinery to try to ram a nominee through(which I’m guessing will be unpopular even by gop governing standards), or is it better to turn the election into judges v Biden instead of Trump v Biden?

You'd be guessing wrong. They'll do both.

Yeah this is a no brainer. They campaign on the need to elect trump to put another conservative judge on the court, and when he loses, they just ram it through anyway.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2221
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 846
x 1264

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby Bertz » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:35 am

I'm hoping that a couple of the bubble senators currently up for reelection (e.g. Collins) won't want to touch this purely out of a sense of self preservation.

Although even that doesn't help during the lame duck period...
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38311
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1452
x 1906

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:35 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:GOPers are going to replace RGB. That's that.

The Dems only choice to save Roe v Wade is to pack the court starting Jan 20 and get it done before a legal challenge can actually make it to the court.


I have some hope that they won’t overturn it. They’re not stupid men and they know what complete and total chaos and unrest that would cause. I think they’ll just refuse to grant cert to any challenges and just avoid the issue.

Okay even if you take that stance, they will gut everything else possible up to overturnimg it. Robert's can't stand in the way on the basis of jurisprudence anymore.


Perhaps. They won’t overturn it though.
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14404
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2602
x 1613

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:41 am

Bertz wrote:I'm hoping that a couple of the bubble senators currently up for reelection (e.g. Collins) won't want to touch this purely out of a sense of self preservation.

Although even that doesn't help during the lame duck period...

Collins and Murkowski I'd buy on.

After that... MAYBE Romney if he wants to play the "principled conservative guy" role, but I'd say hell do that only if it's 50-50 and he knows Pence will break it.

I don't see who else.
0 x
Image

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14404
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2602
x 1613

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:42 am

OleMissCub wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
I have some hope that they won’t overturn it. They’re not stupid men and they know what complete and total chaos and unrest that would cause. I think they’ll just refuse to grant cert to any challenges and just avoid the issue.

Okay even if you take that stance, they will gut everything else possible up to overturnimg it. Robert's can't stand in the way on the basis of jurisprudence anymore.


Perhaps. They won’t overturn it though.

Also they could attack parts of it. It's not like they have to write a opinion that just says "Roe v Wade is done bitches!". They can put a bunch of grey in that leads to more legal question and sets up for further degradation in future cases.
0 x
Image

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14404
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2602
x 1613

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:43 am

This weasel who is about to go back directly on his word is the judiciary committee chair.

1 x
Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19125
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2608
x 1040

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:44 am

fullback
0 x
Image

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14404
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2602
x 1613

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:45 am

For reference. If you wanna bang your head on the wall, here's the GOP senators on the judiciary committee you can go tweet at every day for the next 2 months or whenever they nominate a replacement.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/about/members
0 x
Image

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38311
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1452
x 1906

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:46 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Bertz wrote:I'm hoping that a couple of the bubble senators currently up for reelection (e.g. Collins) won't want to touch this purely out of a sense of self preservation.

Although even that doesn't help during the lame duck period...

Collins and Murkowski I'd buy on.

After that... MAYBE Romney if he wants to play the "principled conservative guy" role, but I'd say hell do that only if it's 50-50 and he knows Pence will break it.

I don't see who else.


Corey Gardner maybe
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9657
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 457
x 4022

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:51 am

0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14404
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2602
x 1613

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:52 am

OleMissCub wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Bertz wrote:I'm hoping that a couple of the bubble senators currently up for reelection (e.g. Collins) won't want to touch this purely out of a sense of self preservation.

Although even that doesn't help during the lame duck period...

Collins and Murkowski I'd buy on.

After that... MAYBE Romney if he wants to play the "principled conservative guy" role, but I'd say hell do that only if it's 50-50 and he knows Pence will break it.

I don't see who else.


Corey Gardner maybe

Nah, he's done anyways. He'll toe the line to set up his golden parachute in the conservative world.

Per the above link of the judiciary committee, the best chance might actually be Tillis blocking it in the judiciary committee as he's in a tough race. So basically no chance. I'd say Ernst but she's already on record saying a hypothetical opening would be different now.
2 x
Image

NonProfitCow
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5025
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am
x 238
x 864

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby NonProfitCow » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:54 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

truly shocking stuff right there
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 50143
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 798
x 2075

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:56 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:One. Need three more. Not gonna happen.



There are 2 months after the election and before Inauguration Day
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14404
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2602
x 1613

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:03 am

NonProfitCow wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

truly shocking stuff right there

I thought there was a 50/50 shot he'd wait until the morning to put out a statement.
0 x
Image

mias_tisg
bench player
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:12 pm
x 3
x 7

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby mias_tisg » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:03 am

Didn't wait long
0 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 29932
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 44
x 5709
Contact:

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby Brian » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:12 am

the gist of that statement for sure has been written and ready to go for months
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14404
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2602
x 1613

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:16 am



Hmmm... Relevant. How much can the Dems slow with procedural stuff?

Edit-nevermind sounds like it would be up to McConnell.
0 x
Image

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14404
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2602
x 1613

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:26 am

0 x
Image

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 80796
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3398
x 5336
Contact:

Re: Justice Ginsburg has died

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:53 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Is it better for the republican machinery to try to ram a nominee through(which I’m guessing will be unpopular even by gop governing standards), or is it better to turn the election into judges v Biden instead of Trump v Biden?


I don’t get this, who didn’t know RBG was going to need to be replaced in the next 4 years? I mean now the 99.95% odds are 100% but still
0 x
Win it for Fred


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], NOLA, PosterToBeNamedLater and 4 guests