Guess What a Sociopath with His Own Tech Company Did This Time

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Guess What a Sociopath with His Own Tech Company Did This Time

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:21 pm

This thread probably should have been started a few years ago, and yeah, this specific occurrence pales in comparison to its antecedents, but gotta start somewhere...

0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Re: Guess What a Sociopath with His Own Tech Company Did This Time

Postby Bertz » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:10 pm

0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:26 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/ceciliakang/status/1347210372072275969?s=19

I'm quite sure that this has absolutely nothing to do with Democrats providing oversight in two weeks.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:52 pm

IMO one of the most impactful things you can do as an individual is get off Facebook and help normalize other means for its popular features that aren't just outrage/ad megaphones. E.g. encouraging group texts/Whatsapp over Messenger for a fantasy league/softball team, using public albums w/ your phone provider of choice for photo sharing, etc.
1 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:55 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:IMO one of the most impactful things you can do as an individual is get off Facebook and help normalize other means for its popular features that aren't just outrage/ad megaphones. E.g. encouraging group texts/Whatsapp over Messenger for a fantasy league/softball team, using public albums w/ your phone provider of choice for photo sharing, etc.

Absolutely, 100%. Get off freaking Facebook. It's akin to people paranoid about being tracked by the Gub-ment carrying around I-phones.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:03 pm

There is no good social media platform. Stop kidding yourselves.
3 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:18 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:There is no good social media platform. Stop kidding yourselves.

I think it's less productive to be fatalistic about this, no one is extolling the virtues of Twitter or the ghost of Google+. Facebook has by far the most users and is by far the most destructive to the world around us, so focusing energies on how to get people to stop using it in a way that doesn't just say "go to this different company, they're better" is the best way to mitigate the damage it does.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:34 pm

As someone who has never had nor ever will have a Facebook account, I agree, individuals should leave the platform. However, too often I see these types of encouragement as a replacement for regulation (**not saying that is happening upthread**). Facebook is too horsefeathering big. We need government regulation. This isn't like boycotting the racist owner of a uptown cafe, where a few people refusing to eat there actually harms them.
1 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:42 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:There is no good social media platform. Stop kidding yourselves.

:(
7 x
Spoiler: show

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:43 pm

Tim wrote:

:(

Easily the least terrible, Tim.
16 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:53 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:As someone who has never had nor ever will have a Facebook account, I agree, individuals should leave the platform. However, too often I see these types of encouragement as a replacement for regulation (**not saying that is happening upthread**). Facebook is too horsefeathering big. We need government regulation. This isn't like boycotting the racist owner of a uptown cafe, where a few people refusing to eat there actually harms them.

Agreed, the government should dismantle Facebook for a number of reasons. In the meantime, my post above was about individual actions in the meantime since that process is not likely to be fast or comprehensive. The most common objections I hear to removing facebook are not about missing out on the news feed aspect, so encouraging ways to not need Facebook to plan a poker night or share baby photos with Grandma cut down on those objections.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:10 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:As someone who has never had nor ever will have a Facebook account, I agree, individuals should leave the platform. However, too often I see these types of encouragement as a replacement for regulation (**not saying that is happening upthread**). Facebook is too horsefeathering big. We need government regulation. This isn't like boycotting the racist owner of a uptown cafe, where a few people refusing to eat there actually harms them.

Agreed, the government should dismantle Facebook for a number of reasons. In the meantime, my post above was about individual actions in the meantime since that process is not likely to be fast or comprehensive. The most common objections I hear to removing facebook are not about missing out on the news feed aspect, so encouraging ways to not need Facebook to plan a poker night or share baby photos with Grandma cut down on those objections.

This isn't any kind of a fix because it assumes people who get sucked in by social media black holes can be "fixed" somehow via a different social media outlet (they can't), and that there is any other social media outlet that either isn't run like FB or isn't susceptible to the same problems (there isn't one).

Getting crazy Aunt Karen off of Facebook won't do horsefeathers. It's the same line of thinking where people convince themselves that if their parents just watching Fox News they'll be fine. The cat's so far out of the horsefeathering bag. Getting people off of FB at this point is little more than performative theater.
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:19 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

This isn't any kind of a fix because it assumes people who get sucked in by social media black holes can be "fixed" somehow via a different social media outlet (they can't), and that there is any other social media outlet that either isn't run like FB or isn't susceptible to the same problems (there isn't one).

Getting crazy Aunt Karen off of Facebook won't do horsefeathers. It's the same line of thinking where people convince themselves that if their parents just watching Fox News they'll be fine. The cat's so far out of the horsefeathering bag. Getting people off of FB at this point is little more than performative theater.

Deplatforming works, just ask Milo whats his name what happens if you don't have an easy avenue to reach people.

Being fatalist doesn't do anything, though.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

The idea is not about redeeming the irredeemable, it's about preventing spread. Crazy Aunt Karen is just gonna go deeper down the rabbit hole, but a less indoctrinated or more casual internet consumer isn't going to randomly seek out 8chan without that network introduction. That's the plan explicitly *because* social media breeds this with the news feed/engagement/ad incentives it has regardless of company, there is no reforming the current model so you try to mitigate its user power and the government needs to deeply fragment/destroy it.

But that's just the most immediate of many reasons, like mitigating damage done to the economics of the media industry, to privacy concerns, I'm sure we're all familiar with Facebook's rap sheet at this point.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:25 pm

bukie wrote:Deplatforming works, just ask Milo whats his name what happens if you don't have an easy avenue to reach people.

Weird take on today of all days, but OK. Milo's still spreading his garbage on Parler to plenty of eager listeners.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:27 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

The idea is not about redeeming the irredeemable, it's about preventing spread. Crazy Aunt Karen is just gonna go deeper down the rabbit hole, but a less indoctrinated or more casual internet consumer isn't going to randomly seek out 8chan without that network introduction. That's the plan explicitly *because* social media breeds this with the news feed/engagement/ad incentives it has regardless of company, there is no reforming the current model so you try to mitigate its user power and the government needs to deeply fragment/destroy it.

But that's just the most immediate of many reasons, like mitigating damage done to the economics of the media industry, to privacy concerns, I'm sure we're all familiar with Facebook's rap sheet at this point.

Oh, if only we were anywhere remotely close to the point people had to dig for something like 8chan to get exposed to this.

Anyone acting like removing/regulating FB and NOT things like (especially) YouTube or Twitter or even horsefeathering Google itself are, again, just kidding themselves.

Christ, YouTube is SO much horsefeathering worse at spreading this horsefeathers.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Anyone acting like removing/regulating FB and NOT things like (especially) YouTube or Twitter or even horsefeathering Google itself are, again, just kidding themselves.

You keep framing this as people saying just fix/kill Facebook and everything is fine, but no one is saying that. Facebook is where you can get the best ROI, especially as an individual actor where you can use social norms to your benefit(e.g. "I don't have Facebook can we group text instead") that isn't as straight forward with stuff like YouTube.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:36 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Anyone acting like removing/regulating FB and NOT things like (especially) YouTube or Twitter or even horsefeathering Google itself are, again, just kidding themselves.

You keep framing this as people saying just fix/kill Facebook and everything is fine, but no one is saying that. Facebook is where you can get the best ROI, especially as an individual actor where you can use social norms to your benefit(e.g. "I don't have Facebook can we group text instead") that isn't as straight forward with stuff like YouTube.

This is clearly coming from someone who has never tried to manage a group text among relatives using both Android and Apple. Plus, yet again, FB is a drop in the bucket. Getting someone away from FB does so little to minimize their chances of exposure unless FB was the only thing they used online.

It's too late. The calls are coming from the inside of every single house. I totally get why people stop or want to stop using FB, but acting like it means anything besides contributing to your own well-being regarding social media is ridiculous. Plus the reality of getting entire families off of it are even more ridiculous. Grandma's never going to bail so long as a couple cousins or aunts and uncles stay behind.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:12 pm

It's a small victory, but I'm in a webinar right now where Facebook is throwing a huge hissy fit about the new app privacy stuff being implemented in iOS 14.
2 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:49 pm

I got off FB because the feed became so ridiculous. I was using it for the traditional old person reasons: keeping up with old friends. It had the unintended side effect of showing me how insane many of them became.

There are so many other ways people are being tracked. Quitting FB alone doesn’t free people of that. You’d really need to cut off all social media access and then move to non-tracked browsing like Tor. Probably move to obfuscation tech too, like private VPN. It would take a big change. Not saying it can’t be done but it’s probably 5% of the population or less who will realistically do it.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:52 pm

Black/brown bad, white good!
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:59 pm

These Social Media companies are just so STUNNING and BRAVE. Was banning Trump a new idea that no one thought of before today?
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:27 am

1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:49 am

Parler now booted by Amazon Web Services, too.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:56 am

Getting the full Stormfront treatment, good.
0 x

Return to “Social”