Some dogs suck! Booooo, some dogs!

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Some dogs suck! Booooo, some dogs!

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:53 pm

horsefeathering pitbulls; these garbage animals are an infestation that have ruined the pet adoption system. One of the best things about moving next month is getting away from a pair of these lunatic monsters in my current neighborhood that have made just being outside a nightmare if they're out there, too.

Most dogs are good, but this thread is to talk about horsefeathers dogs, which pitbulls definitely are.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Re: Some dogs suck! Booooo, some dogs!

Postby Brian707 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:59 pm

My wife had a pitbull when we met. Nicest dog ever. I think a lot of pitbulls however are owned by horsefeathers people
7 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:03 pm

ive never had an issue with pit bulls
6 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:23 pm

a tenant who lived in the parlor floor apartment in our building had what we believed to be an emotional support animal. he (the tenant) was not a fan of direct eye contact or even small conversation with anyone in the building. when we first met the dog, it was as sweet as could be. after a few months, he started absorbing his owner's quirky tics and personality traits/anxiety. one day after coming home from buying groceries, i saw them both coming out of the building and went to say hi to the dog. it then proceeded to try to attack me and attempted to chow down on my fingers. my girlfriend came home from work a few weeks later and it tried to bite her face.

some dogs horsefeathering suck but a good percentage of that suckiness comes from their owner.
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:28 pm

I've never had issues with one before either but they scare me on the account of horsefeathers owners.

One of my neighbors has an American Akita, another neighbor has a American Staffordshire. The dogs don't get along and it's a nightmare when they fight
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:30 pm

Just not a fan; they horsefeathering stress me out. They were bred to be fighters or worse, and you go to pretty much any shelter and they're dominated by dogs that are obviously pits or pit mixes. The numbers don't lie; they do so much more serious damage to people and other pets than any other breed.

I mean, there are, unfortunately, way too many horrible, horrible owners for all breeds of dogs. But it's pits that end up being SO much more dangerous than any other mistreated dog because of how they have been bred and their innate instincts/tendencies.
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:35 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Just not a fan; they horsefeathering stress me out. They were bred to be fighters or worse, and you go to pretty much any shelter and they're dominated by dogs that are obviously pits or pit mixes. The numbers don't lie; they do so much more serious damage to people and other pets than any other breed.

I mean, there are, unfortunately, way too many horrible, horrible owners for all breeds of dogs. But it's pits that end up being SO much more dangerous than any other mistreated dog because of how they have been bred and their innate instincts/tendencies.

It's the owners you are not a fan of, the dogs are blameless.
8 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:38 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Just not a fan; they horsefeathering stress me out. They were bred to be fighters or worse, and you go to pretty much any shelter and they're dominated by dogs that are obviously pits or pit mixes. The numbers don't lie; they do so much more serious damage to people and other pets than any other breed.

yeah but i think the point is you meet a little ass dog with a horsefeathers owner and that little ass dog is just annoying, you meet a pit bull with a horsefeathers owner and you might die
3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:40 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

yeah but i think the point is you meet a little ass dog with a horsefeathers owner and that little ass dog is just annoying, you meet a pit bull with a horsefeathers owner and you might die

True.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:46 pm

There isn't a more apt video for this thread than this. Lady nails the punch line at the end:
1 x
"We are at a point in time where comments can be interpreted as racist, sexist, Anti-semitic, etc. depending on the circumstance and the listener." -B2B

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:49 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:... They were bred to be fighters or worse....

I thought they were bred to ferret out rats and raccoons like all terriers are, but instead idiot humans have decided they should fight instead (?)

Akita are also terrifying if they aren't socialized and calm. my neighbors can be the biggest, dopiest sweetheart until he wants something or feels the need to defend, then he's 130 lbs of howling terror
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:56 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:... They were bred to be fighters or worse....

I thought they were bred to ferret out rats and raccoons like all terriers are, but instead idiot humans have decided they should fight instead (?)

Take Wikipedia for what you will:

It is believed all dogs that are now classified as pit bulls descend from the British bull and terrier, which were first imported into North America in the 1870s.[6][7] The bull-and-terrier was a type of dog developed in the United Kingdom in the early 19th century for the blood sports of dog fighting and rat baiting, it was created by crossing the ferocious, thickly muscled Old English Bulldog with the agile, lithe, feisty Black and Tan Terrier.[6][7] The aggressive Old English Bulldog, which was bred for bear and bull baiting, was often also pitted against its own kind in organised dog fights, but it was found that lighter, faster dogs were better suited to dogfighting than the heavier Bulldog.[6][7][8] To produce a lighter, faster more agile dog that retained the courage and tenacity of the Bulldog, outcrosses from local terriers were tried, and ultimately found to be successful.[6][7][8]
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:06 pm

I've had interactions with pits that have been among the sweetest dogs ever. My one mutt is probably part pit, although the adoption agency listed Boxer and she's pretty small, under 40 pounds.

Its obviously primarily about the owners. Bad owners and owners self selecting toward a breed with a reputations probably inflate the numbers about pits, but they are more dangerous than many breeds.

Bottom line is owning a dog is a serious time commitment and if you haven't owned a dog (owning a family dog as a kid doesn't count unless you were heavily involved in its training and care) people need to make sure they have the skills to properly train a dog. Even now having owned two dogs as an adult, I'm constantly reminded about how much time they take. Now with two kids I have serious questions about if/what kind of dog commitment I want to take on once these two are gone.

A well mannered pit in a competent home can be a great dog. Good owners will usually weed out the ones who really aren't fit as family dogs and adopt their lifestyle to it or rehome it outside a family setting.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:10 pm

Disclaimer, I'm probably just averag-ish as a dog owner. And I've learned that the hard way with a difficult German Shepard we took on from a family member who also learned how over matched they were when they adopted two GSD at the same time.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:24 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Disclaimer, I'm probably just averag-ish as a dog owner. And I've learned that the hard way with a difficult German Shepard we took on from a family member who also learned how over matched they were when they adopted two GSD at the same time.

Honestly, I'd have zero issue with there being similar restrictions for GSD, or Rottweilers, or Dobermans, or Akitas or Huskies, too. I agree with you; dogs of all kinds require huge commitments, but I also think it's kind of disingenuous for us to act like it's the same for all dogs. Certain dogs are just more of a potential threat/bigger responsibility, period, and it's not fair to the owners, the people around them, and the pets themselves if we don't differentiate.

The shelters play a BIG role, IMO, in these sorts of problems. Too many of them are trying to "sell" the dogs to potential homes with cutesy descriptions that make it sound like it's a fun suggestion that maybe this dog should be in a home without kids, or without other animals, or with enough space or a backyard, or that they need to always be restrained when outside or muzzled, etc., etc., etc.. And too many of them also gloss over just what these dogs actually are, too. Honestly, any of you go look at the websites for the shelters and adoption agencies and look at the sheer number of "lab mixes" or "terrier mixes" that are clearly pits or pit mixes; if these dogs aren't more to deal with or more of a potential risk, why are so many of these places trying to "dress up" pits to get them adopted? They're trying to have it both ways, where they want to get these animals homes, and they don't want to stigmatize the dogs, but at the same time they are willfully glossing over the additional responsibility that HAS to come with having these types of dogs.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:27 pm

And full disclosure: on a really superficial level, I think pits are horsefeathering ugly looking beasts. I know a lot of that is my fear talking, but I do not get people who look at one and think, "yes, I want that blockheaded, misshapen monster with the disgusting murder mouth and the creepy, beady little dead eyes in my life!"

As a jogger, these stupid neighborhood pits have made the last year even more stressful. I am so, so happy to leave them behind.
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:58 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Disclaimer, I'm probably just averag-ish as a dog owner. And I've learned that the hard way with a difficult German Shepard we took on from a family member who also learned how over matched they were when they adopted two GSD at the same time.

Honestly, I'd have zero issue with there being similar restrictions for GSD, or Rottweilers, or Dobermans, or Akitas or Huskies, too. I agree with you; dogs of all kinds require huge commitments, but I also think it's kind of disingenuous for us to act like it's the same for all dogs. Certain dogs are just more of a potential threat/bigger responsibility, period, and it's not fair to the owners, the people around them, and the pets themselves if we don't differentiate.

The shelters play a BIG role, IMO, in these sorts of problems. Too many of them are trying to "sell" the dogs to potential homes with cutesy descriptions that make it sound like it's a fun suggestion that maybe this dog should be in a home without kids, or without other animals, or with enough space or a backyard, or that they need to always be restrained when outside or muzzled, etc., etc., etc.. And too many of them also gloss over just what these dogs actually are, too. Honestly, any of you go look at the websites for the shelters and adoption agencies and look at the sheer number of "lab mixes" or "terrier mixes" that are clearly pits or pit mixes; if these dogs aren't more to deal with or more of a potential risk, why are so many of these places trying to "dress up" pits to get them adopted? They're trying to have it both ways, where they want to get these animals homes, and they don't want to stigmatize the dogs, but at the same time they are willfully glossing over the additional responsibility that HAS to come with having these types of dogs.

I never said certain breeds weren't more dangerous. Simple physics tells us upfront that isn't the case. Behaviorally there's trends too, but nurture is still a huge component.

I mean, yes the "branding" is partially a desirability thing. But it's also just a lot about avoiding bans, not owners perceptions. I think many owners will realize that's the situation, but if they have an HOA or city with a ban they have the paperwork and an ambiguous looking mutt. That doesn't mean the agency is trying to pass off bad dogs.

Personally I'd probably focus on adoption agencies that use a foster system. That puts dogs in something more normal of a home setting and a good shelter will learn which dogs have issues even with an experienced owner and either not adopt it out or only for the most qualified owners and be upfront about issues like other dogs or kids. But not everyone is a good actor out there and even the best intentioned agency tends to be way underqualified to run a huge organized operation.

And unfortunately way too many are no kill for animal welfare when reality is there are more dogs than good homes and things like forced spay/neutering is a long term solution, but not a short term solution. And passing off dogs to unprepared homes isn't good for anyone either.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:16 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:I never said certain breeds weren't more dangerous. Simple physics tells us upfront that isn't the case. Behaviorally there's trends too, but nurture is still a huge component.

Nobody disagrees with the bold. But we can't just shrug it off, like, "well, bad owners can end up with bad dogs." As was pointed out, if a bad owner has raised a bad Shih Tzo, the risk/danger for other people and animals is, for the most part, minimal. If a bad owner has raised a bad Pitbull or Doberman or German Shepard, now the risk for everyone and everything that dog encounters is potentially catastrophic. Whether we look at it from a perspective of nature OR nurture, some dogs are clearly more of a risk/danger than others, and should be, IMO, regulated differently.

I mean, yes the "branding" is partially a desirability thing. But it's also just a lot about avoiding bans, not owners perceptions. I think many owners will realize that's the situation, but if they have an HOA or city with a ban they have the paperwork and an ambiguous looking mutt. That doesn't mean the agency is trying to pass off bad dogs.

This isn't a good thing! Those bans and restrictions are in place for legitimate reasons! People shouldn't be able to get around those because a shelter or agency is willfully fudging what the dog is. In this day and age, we very much can figure out what kind of makeup a dog is genetically. There is not, IMO, a good reason to not have breed specific regulations, and shelters/agencies should have to abide by them.

Personally I'd probably focus on adoption agencies that use a foster system. That puts dogs in something more normal of a home setting and a good shelter will learn which dogs have issues even with an experienced owner and either not adopt it out or only for the most qualified owners and be upfront about issues like other dogs or kids. But not everyone is a good actor out there and even the best intentioned agency tends to be way underqualified to run a huge organized operation.

Agreed, but I'd still want certain breeds having specific rules they have to follow. You want a Pitbull? Great; it to always be leashed and muzzled when outside, period.

And unfortunately way too many are no kill for animal welfare when reality is there are more dogs than good homes and things like forced spay/neutering is a long term solution, but not a short term solution. And passing off dogs to unprepared homes isn't good for anyone either.

Also agreed. We all wish no-kill shelters could be the SOP, but the reality is that a lot more dogs need to be given a humane end of life option than we are willing to do right now. Like we're saying, the current setup is bad for everyone involved, pets included. You look at these shelter sites, it's crazy the amount of the listings are for dogs that have been in and out of the shelter multiple times.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:33 pm

I'm not in favor of any breed specific ban. And I'm all for leash requirements for all breeds.

Maybe something like insurance requirements for certain breeds is as far as I'd go. The rest should be about broader population controls measures on dogs because there just aren't enough good homes for dogs in general.
0 x

MidoreX
All-Star

Postby MidoreX » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:36 pm

As a co-owner of a GSD (my GF wanted him, is very knowledgeable and experienced with dogs and dog training, and is DEFINITELY who he considers his pack leader) I agree 100% that the dogs are a lot more work than people realize and bringing them up wrong can create the horror stories that you hear from time to time. It took months of on purpose training, routine setting, and socialization when he was a pup to ensure he would be well adjusted, friendly and gentle with all people and animals. Despite ours being very small for the breed at 60ish pounds and not presenting body language consistent with aggressive behavior at all, people routinely cross the street instead of walk by us when he's out on-leash in the neighborhood. I get it, but it's a real shame since he's the best dog ever.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:41 pm

MidoreX wrote:horror stories

And to be realistic, a lot of those stories are just dogs being dogs. Like, they're not villains; it's genuinely sad that a ton of the Pitbull attacks are because the dog simply got scared or startled despite years and years of being in a good home and no signs of aggression, and that's just how they react on pure natural instinct in the moment.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:47 pm

Pit Bulls are like gun owners. There are plenty of harmless ones, but there are enough dangerous ones to earn a reputation for all
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:29 pm

Pit Bulls are also like Hitler. If you give them speed, they get erratic and increasingly make poor tactical decisions.
0 x
"We are at a point in time where comments can be interpreted as racist, sexist, Anti-semitic, etc. depending on the circumstance and the listener." -B2B

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:47 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Pit Bulls are also like Hitler. If you give them speed, they get erratic and increasingly make poor tactical decisions.

As someone who has had to accept that my dog lives a much happier life with medication, I like this analogy a lot better than the gun one.
1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:05 pm

Terrifying
1 x

Return to “Social”