Tabletop Gaming Thread

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Tabletop Gaming Thread

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon May 23, 2022 4:40 pm

We have a Video Game Thread, so here's an attempt at one for its tabletop counterpart.

Is anyone into other types of gaming beyond video games?

I personally really enjoy Blood Bowl and play semi-regularly in an in-person league. I never got into Warhammer or any of the other Games Workshop games, but something about the fantasy genre + sports combination of Blood Bowl hit the sweet spot for me.

Battletech is another "old school" game I have always enjoyed, although finding other people who play it is much easier said than done. Beyond that, I am interested in several other games and it's just a matter of finding time to play them. I have the Gloomhaven box set sitting untouched on a shelf, assuming that I'll get around to it some day. Similarly, I have heard good things about the Baseball Highlights 2045 board/card game, and have a sealed copy of that sitting on a shelf for a rainy day. And on the subject of baseball games, I recently found my old of Head On Baseball in my parents basement and brought that home. I spent many hours playing that with my brothers when we were younger and now I just need to get the audio clips off the cassette tape (or get a cassette player) so I can try it out again.

I am looking forward to exposing my kids to these games and others as they get older and hopefully being able to establish some sort of family game night tradition as long as they enjoy it. Are there any other non-video game gamers out there?
0 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Re: Tabletop Gaming Thread

Postby CoolHandLuke » Mon May 23, 2022 6:40 pm

Gloomhaven is awesome.

I've only gotten into board games over the last couple years, which was obviously terrible timing due to the pandemic, and I therefore pretty much only play lighter 2 player games with my wife (eg. Wingspan, Pandemic, Azul, Kingdomino) or I play solo. I've wanted to buy Gloomhaven for a while, but it seemed to be too much, so I picked up Jaws of the Lion last fall. I finally got around to playing it in January and loved it. I finished in only a few weeks and then immediately picked up Gloomhaven, which I've been playing pretty consistently since then and only recently put away. It's about as much fun as I can imagine having in a solo board game.
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon May 23, 2022 6:40 pm

I play tabletop games with my friends. Next up is an attempt at Gloomhaven.
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon May 23, 2022 6:41 pm

CoolHandLuke wrote:Gloomhaven is awesome.

I've only gotten into board games over the last couple years, which was obviously terrible timing due to the pandemic, and I therefore pretty much only play lighter 2 player games with my wife (eg. Wingspan, Pandemic, Azul, Kingdomino) or I play solo. I've wanted to buy Gloomhaven for a while, but it seemed to be too much, so I picked up Jaws of the Lion last fall. I finally got around to playing it in January and loved it. I finished in only a few weeks and then immediately picked up Gloomhaven, which I've been playing pretty consistently since then and only recently put away. It's about as much fun as I can imagine having in a solo board game.

I haven't tried solo, I guess I should. I pre-ordered frosthaven from the Kickstarter, I should really play the first before that one arrives.
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon May 23, 2022 6:54 pm

CoolHandLuke wrote:I've wanted to buy Gloomhaven for a while, but it seemed to be too much, so I picked up Jaws of the Lion last fall. I finally got around to playing it in January and loved it. I finished in only a few weeks and then immediately picked up Gloomhaven, which I've been playing pretty consistently since then and only recently put away. It's about as much fun as I can imagine having in a solo board game.

So you've been playing Gloomhaven completely solo? I have never attempted solo play for tabletop before, but I know solo gameplay mechanics are becoming more common. Are there places where you feel like "this would work better with a group" or "this would be more fun with other people"?
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon May 23, 2022 6:56 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:

I haven't tried solo, I guess I should. I pre-ordered frosthaven from the Kickstarter, I should really play the first before that one arrives.

Same here. I have Frosthaven on order, but I'm in no hurry to get it since I want to play through Gloomhaven first. That will probably take me years, so they can continue to delay Frosthaven as much as they need to.
1 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Mon May 23, 2022 7:12 pm

Ticket to Ride is a fun one also. We’ve played that a bunch.

We really enjoy Azul. We have Pandemic but haven’t played it yet.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Mon May 23, 2022 7:15 pm

I don't think anything about playing the game is necessarily better solo, but it's nice to just sit down and play when I have free time and not have to worry about planning 3 hour play sessions.

Mechanically, the game is basically the same. Monsters are run the same. The biggest difference is when playing solo you play more than one character (I've been playing 2, but it sounds like some people play 3 or 4), so you can synergize your actions to work well together, as opposed to not knowing exactly what your partners are going to do or what turn they are going to go.

I'd really like to play in a group at some point, but my friends and family are either not interested, not old enough, too far away or too busy.
2 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon May 23, 2022 8:12 pm

CoolHandLuke wrote:I don't think anything about playing the game is necessarily better solo, but it's nice to just sit down and play when I have free time and not have to worry about planning 3 hour play sessions.

Mechanically, the game is basically the same. Monsters are run the same. The biggest difference is when playing solo you play more than one character (I've been playing 2, but it sounds like some people play 3 or 4), so you can synergize your actions to work well together, as opposed to not knowing exactly what your partners are going to do or what turn they are going to go.

I'd really like to play in a group at some point, but my friends and family are either not interested, not old enough, too far away or too busy.

I regularly play games with a group of friends, I've been trying to get them to play Gloomhaven for a while. Finally, one of them volunteered to play and started watching videos to get ready.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 24, 2022 12:03 pm

The wife and I have been enjoying some co-op games, since she gets a little overwhelmed by competitive games that get too....nerdy.

Anyway, Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are a blast if that appeals. Forbidden Island is great to start with, and then Forbidden Desert takes it up a just a notch. There's also Forbidden Sky, but that's apparently another step up and we haven't tried it yet.
0 x

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Tue May 24, 2022 12:26 pm

Wife and I like to play:

Catan
Hive
Carcasonne
Terraforming Mars
Ticket to Ride
Patchwork

Pretty much in that order of preference. Terraforming Mars is the most recent purchase in there and I really enjoy it as a strategy/engine building game even though I appear to be very terrible at it.

All of these games are available on Steam with online multiplayer, except their version of Hive sucks. Thats one of the best recent developments in tabletop gaming. Play on your Ipad/computer and skip the setup/cleanup. I cant imagine trying to play the actual board game version of Terraforming Mars. So much to keep track of.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Tue May 24, 2022 2:28 pm

Banedon wrote:The wife and I have been enjoying some co-op games, since she gets a little overwhelmed by competitive games that get too....nerdy.

i usually prefer some of the simpler games as well for general accessibility and quickness tbh

some favorites:
- 7 Wonders (+Leaders expansion)
- Lords of Waterdeep
- Dominion, all expansions are good here
- Pandemic: Contagion

me & my wife and friends have done 5-6 months of Pandemic Legacy too lol, it plays similarly to the main game but your outcomes affect future months with stuff like riots, scars, increased/decreased WHO funding etc that changes the game as you progress

has anybody ever played Strat-o-matic Baseball?

1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue May 24, 2022 3:58 pm

sneakypower wrote:has anybody ever played Strat-o-matic Baseball?

A friend had an old version I played a time or two, but I got more into MLB Showdown, which was more of a stripped down Strat-O-Matic that added Pokemon-esque card collecting to accrue players.

In terms of board games, I don't get to play them as much as I'd like but I really enjoy bluffing games. Personal favorites are Coup and Saboteur for 3-6 folks and Secret Hitler when you have 6+. My wife and I played a lot of Villainous(we bought several expansions) early in the pandemic since she's a big Disney buff and that was surprisingly fun since every character has a different win condition.
1 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Tue May 24, 2022 4:07 pm

Surprisingly, no. That seems like the type of game I would have played endlessly as a kid, but somehow I never came across it. It may not be something that was regularly sitting on Toys R Us store shelves, advertised on Saturday morning TV, or listed in the Sears Christmas catalog. Those would have been my primary sources of board game information. The only baseball games I recall having were Epyx Head-On Baseball and another simple dice-rolling game/chart, and played both of them frequently. Then I eventually discovered Baseball Mogul for PC, followed shortly after by Out of the Park Baseball, and my mind was blown by the ability to manage a franchise over multiple seasons.

On a related note, the crowdfunding campaign for Blaseball The Card Game launched today, if anyone is into that type of thing.
https://gamefound.com/projects/michael- ... -card-game
0 x

Mark Prior's Calves
5-Time All-Star

Postby Mark Prior's Calves » Sat May 28, 2022 8:09 pm

Banedon wrote:The wife and I have been enjoying some co-op games, since she gets a little overwhelmed by competitive games that get too....nerdy.

Anyway, Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are a blast if that appeals. Forbidden Island is great to start with, and then Forbidden Desert takes it up a just a notch. There's also Forbidden Sky, but that's apparently another step up and we haven't tried it yet.

We've enjoyed Island Desert, but don't like Sky.

The pandemic shifted us into two player games and kid-friendly games.

As far as co-op, we've really enjoy Burgle Bros.
0 x

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Sun May 29, 2022 1:17 am

I went from enjoying board games to becoming obsessed with board games during lock down.

Our current game of choice is Spirit Island (excellent heavy co-op), but we got through a huge chunk of Gloomhaven during lockdown (all but one class unlocked). We're also trying to slog through Tainted Grail, but the story is so much better than the game and it's not an easy go of things at the moment. Sleeping Gods was also fantastic and we will probably get back to it soon.

I also have a lot of crowdfunding games coming in the next year plus. Next three coming are Carnegie, Stroganov, and Hippocrates...at some point.
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Sun May 29, 2022 4:10 am

This game was awesome to play. Played a league with another friend back in the early 80s. We each had four team with two divisions. Did a "random draft" so as to make there not be Super Teams, although, amazingly, all the good players were "randomly" picked. Well before PCs, so we did all the game logs, stats, and standings on notebook paper with a pen and pencil. I'd liked the simplicity of it.

Another great "strategy" board game similar to Risk, was a game called Rail Baron. It was really a lot of fun. Ride your train around the country from city to city, collecting payment at your destination. As you accrue money, you have the opportunity to purchase did railroad lines. The bigger transnational lines cost a bundle. The smaller regional lines, less. Ride on open lines or your own lines and pay little transaction fees. Ride on opponents' lines and you pay more.Any familiar with Rail Baron?
1 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon May 30, 2022 7:23 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

A friend had an old version I played a time or two, but I got more into MLB Showdown, which was more of a stripped down Strat-O-Matic that added Pokemon-esque card collecting to accrue players.

In terms of board games, I don't get to play them as much as I'd like but I really enjoy bluffing games. Personal favorites are Coup and Saboteur for 3-6 folks and Secret Hitler when you have 6+. My wife and I played a lot of Villainous(we bought several expansions) early in the pandemic since she's a big Disney buff and that was surprisingly fun since every character has a different win condition.

I love Coup and Secret Hitler. Coup with the teams expansion is a lot of fun.
0 x

Return to “Social”