The version of the board software has been updated. If you want to use a different theme (currently only subsilver is available), please do the following:

1) click your name in the upper right
2) click user control panel
3) go to the board preferences tab
4) Change from prosilver to subsilver
5) click submit.

The Video Game thread

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 55081
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Banedon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:43 am


Cubbies622
Role Player
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:29 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Cubbies622 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Thanks for the heads up! Pre-ordering it today!

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 53579
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:41 am

Holy [expletive] [expletive], Journey is incredible. Thank all the gods I have a PS3.
Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 57205
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 am
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Derwood » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:49 pm

At work we have MLB 2k12 and MLB: The Show demos basically next to each other, and holy [expletive] does MLB 2K12 look horrible. I'm talking PS2 level graphics and terrible animations. 2K Sports should be embarrassed.

ChiCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 4340
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:51 am
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby ChiCubsFan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Nuts&Gum wrote:Holy [expletive] [expletive], Journey is incredible. Thank all the gods I have a PS3.


I don't get it.

Looks incredibly boring to me. Do you just run/float around in sand the entire game?
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 53579
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:28 pm

Yes and no. You're exploring the remains of a long dead civilization while trying to get to a mountain off in the distance with a temple thingie at the top. It's incredibly beautiful and the multiplayer is amazing.
Image

dew
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20733
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Tennessee
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby dew » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:07 pm

So apparently Bioware is planning to release DLC for a new ending to Mass Effect 3. I've heard the complaints about the ending(s), but didn't think it was that awful. More confusing than anything.

Overall I really like the game. Not quite as good as ME2, but still really good.
Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best state, is a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
-Thomas Paine

To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.
-George Mason

dew
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20733
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Tennessee
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby dew » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Earlier today, Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw wrote on Twitter that the Dragon Age development team at BioWare is done working on Dragon Age II and "has fully moved onto The Next Thing."


As for what that "next thing" may be, Laidlaw added in a second tweet that "we'll be very actively looking for feedback on the next DA title, and will be showing the game more than before as it develops."


In a way this makes me happy (the presumption being that DA3 is coming), but I was really hoping for an Awakening-style expansion to DA2. At least it's DA news, though.
Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best state, is a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
-Thomas Paine

To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.
-George Mason

User avatar
Rob
Superstar
Posts: 12750
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:33 am
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:23 pm

I was underwhelmed with the ending of Mass Effect 3, certainly (though with 5 years of so of buildup, that's sorta inevitable)... but I felt it was pretty standard RPG fare. I definitely don't get the frenzied response.

User avatar
XZero77
Superstar
Posts: 18266
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:57 am
Location: The Wastes
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby XZero77 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:43 pm

dew wrote:So apparently Bioware is planning to release DLC for a new ending to Mass Effect 3. I've heard the complaints about the ending(s), but didn't think it was that awful. More confusing than anything.

Overall I really like the game. Not quite as good as ME2, but still really good.


When I first caught wind of the controversy, I thought a few people were probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, and I am a big proponent of artistic freedom.

But...

Spoiler: show
The big problem isn't with the ending per se, but that there effectively is only one. The entire series has been built around choices and varying outcomes, but at the end you get 16 endings that are 99% the same. There is no sense that many of the decisions you made and any bearing on the final outcome.

I was alright with the ending when I beat the game the first time. I hadn't done everything and assumed I had gotten one of the "stock", bare bones endings and was excited for new ones. When the second was virtually identical to the first, I did a little research and discovered they are all virtually the same, and I was really disappointed. To me, this is contrary to everything ME has been about. When BioWare promised many "wildly different" outcomes, this was not what I envisioned.

And the ending(s) also has massive holes:

The mass relays are all destroyed with the combined fleet at Earth. So you unite the galaxy just to have all their spacefaring population stranded, presumably to fight over what little resources are left in the system? Nice.

And why was the Normandy already fleeing at the exact moment the crucible fired? The crew you fought tooth and nail with abandons you before the fight is over? Yeah, that doesn't jive at all.

So you have very little closure, even less explanation and a handful of plot holes.


I think it's unfortunate that BioWare feels they have to do this, but I do feel they have to do it. This isn't just the ending to a game, it's the ending to one of the most epic VG epics ever, and it was limited, confusing and almost wholly unsatisfying.

I don't want to see a "storybook" ending, but they really screwed the pooch here, imo.

dew
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20733
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Tennessee
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby dew » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:38 pm

XZero77 wrote:When I first caught wind of the controversy, I thought a few people were probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, and I am a big proponent of artistic freedom.

But...

Spoiler: show
The big problem isn't with the ending per se, but that there effectively is only one. The entire series has been built around choices and varying outcomes, but at the end you get 16 endings that are 99% the same. There is no sense that many of the decisions you made and any bearing on the final outcome.

I was alright with the ending when I beat the game the first time. I hadn't done everything and assumed I had gotten one of the "stock", bare bones endings and was excited for new ones. When the second was virtually identical to the first, I did a little research and discovered they are all virtually the same, and I was really disappointed. To me, this is contrary to everything ME has been about. When BioWare promised many "wildly different" outcomes, this was not what I envisioned.

And the ending(s) also has massive holes:

The mass relays are all destroyed with the combined fleet at Earth. So you unite the galaxy just to have all their spacefaring population stranded, presumably to fight over what little resources are left in the system? Nice.

And why was the Normandy already fleeing at the exact moment the crucible fired? The crew you fought tooth and nail with abandons you before the fight is over? Yeah, that doesn't jive at all.

So you have very little closure, even less explanation and a handful of plot holes.


I think it's unfortunate that BioWare feels they have to do this, but I do feel they have to do it. This isn't just the ending to a game, it's the ending to one of the most epic VG epics ever, and it was limited, confusing and almost wholly unsatisfying.

I don't want to see a "storybook" ending, but they really screwed the pooch here, imo.


Spoiler: show
Wow, my impression of the ending I got was based on the idea that there would be a completely different one for each path you chose. If all three are basically the same, that's pretty awful. And like you said, it's not necessarily that the ending isn't good, it's that a game based very heavily upon you making choices to influence events doesn't give you any freedom at the end. I don't know that I see a point in an ending DLC, either, though. To me it'd always feel like an "alternate" ending that wasn't the real thing.

That said, the buildup to the ending was really, really good. The scenes with each of your squadmates (especially Wrex) and the ones with Anderson and the Illusive Man at the end were really well done. The bulk of the game before that felt a bit disjointed and kind of like they were cramming events (and meetings with former characters) into too small a space, but otherwise I thought the story was good. I would have liked a bit more to it, though. I think a longer game would have allowed them to connect a few more events and flesh a few things out a bit better. ME2 was by far the best of the trilogy.
Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best state, is a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
-Thomas Paine

To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.
-George Mason

dew
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20733
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Tennessee
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby dew » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:39 pm

Rob wrote:I was underwhelmed with the ending of Mass Effect 3, certainly (though with 5 years of so of buildup, that's sorta inevitable)... but I felt it was pretty standard RPG fare. I definitely don't get the frenzied response.


Yeah, anytime there's that much buildup for a game there's going to be disappointing aspects of it. It's unavoidable. It was impossible for Bioware to live up to that kind of hype.
Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best state, is a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
-Thomas Paine

To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.
-George Mason

User avatar
XZero77
Superstar
Posts: 18266
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:57 am
Location: The Wastes
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby XZero77 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:40 pm

dew wrote:
XZero77 wrote:When I first caught wind of the controversy, I thought a few people were probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, and I am a big proponent of artistic freedom.

But...

Spoiler: show
The big problem isn't with the ending per se, but that there effectively is only one. The entire series has been built around choices and varying outcomes, but at the end you get 16 endings that are 99% the same. There is no sense that many of the decisions you made and any bearing on the final outcome.

I was alright with the ending when I beat the game the first time. I hadn't done everything and assumed I had gotten one of the "stock", bare bones endings and was excited for new ones. When the second was virtually identical to the first, I did a little research and discovered they are all virtually the same, and I was really disappointed. To me, this is contrary to everything ME has been about. When BioWare promised many "wildly different" outcomes, this was not what I envisioned.

And the ending(s) also has massive holes:

The mass relays are all destroyed with the combined fleet at Earth. So you unite the galaxy just to have all their spacefaring population stranded, presumably to fight over what little resources are left in the system? Nice.

And why was the Normandy already fleeing at the exact moment the crucible fired? The crew you fought tooth and nail with abandons you before the fight is over? Yeah, that doesn't jive at all.

So you have very little closure, even less explanation and a handful of plot holes.


I think it's unfortunate that BioWare feels they have to do this, but I do feel they have to do it. This isn't just the ending to a game, it's the ending to one of the most epic VG epics ever, and it was limited, confusing and almost wholly unsatisfying.

I don't want to see a "storybook" ending, but they really screwed the pooch here, imo.


Spoiler: show
Wow, my impression of the ending I got was based on the idea that there would be a completely different one for each path you chose. If all three are basically the same, that's pretty awful. And like you said, it's not necessarily that the ending isn't good, it's that a game based very heavily upon you making choices to influence events doesn't give you any freedom at the end. I don't know that I see a point in an ending DLC, either, though. To me it'd always feel like an "alternate" ending that wasn't the real thing.

That said, the buildup to the ending was really, really good. The scenes with each of your squadmates (especially Wrex) and the ones with Anderson and the Illusive Man at the end were really well done. The bulk of the game before that felt a bit disjointed and kind of like they were cramming events (and meetings with former characters) into too small a space, but otherwise I thought the story was good. I would have liked a bit more to it, though. I think a longer game would have allowed them to connect a few more events and flesh a few things out a bit better. ME2 was by far the best of the trilogy.


Spoiler: show
The whole thing is just unfortunate. I knew going in that the ending wouldn't meet expectation, because expectations were insanely high. That's how these things are.

But I wasn't exaggerating. There are 16 endings that are 95-99% identical, from the events to the cinematic scenes. It's just really weak, there's no two ways about it.

Of course a DLC ending revision will feel cheap and tacked on, but I don't think it can be any worse.

User avatar
Omar
Superstar
Posts: 16455
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:10 pm
Location: Little Italy/West Loop
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Omar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:55 am

Rented MLB 2k12 from Redbox. I have to say: this game has really good music.

Thats about it.

erik316wttn
Superstar
Posts: 19520
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:06 pm
Location: Southeastern Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby erik316wttn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:32 am

The SimCity franchise is getting a reboot and the new game is due out sometime in 2013. I can't wait!
In Theo We Trust

User avatar
Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist
Posts: 27401
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:57 am
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:01 pm

erik316wttn wrote:The SimCity franchise is getting a reboot and the new game is due out sometime in 2013. I can't wait!


It looks [expletive] unbelievable. I need to break out sim city 4 again.
@jeimer24C: @KCCougars Finally I make the tweeter

erik316wttn
Superstar
Posts: 19520
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:06 pm
Location: Southeastern Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby erik316wttn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:34 pm

imb! wrote:
erik316wttn wrote:The SimCity franchise is getting a reboot and the new game is due out sometime in 2013. I can't wait!


It looks [expletive] unbelievable. I need to break out sim city 4 again.


With as great as SimCity 4 was, the lack of a region terraformer was a pretty big oversight. Other than that, the game was fantastic.
In Theo We Trust

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 53579
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:04 pm

CURVED [expletive] ROADS. I'm in.
Image

Prizefight
All-Star
Posts: 1162
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:52 am
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Prizefight » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:18 am

Couldn't be more excited about a new SimCity


Beat Uncharted 3 last night. That's a top 5 game ever made and I don't care what anyone says.


Picked up TW:2013 since my most recent addition was a few years old. Going play this until Skyrim arrives in the mail from Glyde

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 55081
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:29 am

If you want something to try between now and Simcity....Cities XL is pretty good. There's definitely some differences, but it's fun. It has curved roads too.

But yeah, I can't wait. I still play Simcity 4 sometimes.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30339
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:25 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Butterscup » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:47 am

Prizefight wrote:Couldn't be more excited about a new SimCity


Beat Uncharted 3 last night. That's a top 5 game ever made and I don't care what anyone says.


Picked up TW:2013 since my most recent addition was a few years old. Going play this until Skyrim arrives in the mail from Glyde


let me know how the new swing system is. ign says it's pretty incredible in terms of changing golf games, but tw13 does absolutely nothing to teach you how to use it. i'm still playing the heck out of tw12 so i don't know if/when i'll ever get to 13

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 57205
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 am
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby Derwood » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:25 pm

I've only played TW 13 on Kinect, so I'm not sure what changed. Then again, I never used the analog swing system on older versions.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58670
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Can anyone offer a review on The Show? The last one I bought was in 09, so I'm definitely due for a new one, but I'm a bit strapped for cash. I can easily afford it but it only makes sense if its worth it. Honestly, I get bored with baseball games quickly. IMO the games end up taking too long to play repetitively. That said Road to the Show had me addicted for a month or two. Is RTTS improved significantly from 09? Any other improvements to the games the last couple of years.

I was watching someone play it at Best Buy the other day and the presentation looked absolutely fantastic. It looked like a real broadcast. So that's a plus.
Dare to dream....
Image

dew
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20733
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Tennessee
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby dew » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:31 pm

PS4 news?

Today, Kotaku posted a story containing alleged details on Sony's next home console, the PlayStation 4. Kotaku claims that the details of the story "come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publically about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with [the publication] before." According to this source, the next PlayStation is codenamed Orbis and will launch in the 2013 holiday season.


Furthermore, according to Kotaku's source, Orbis will not feature backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3 games and will incorporate some sort of used-games restriction. Apparently, once a consumer inserts a Blu-ray disc into Orbis it must be tied to a PSN account and can no longer be shared.


There's more info at the link. If this is the way video game systems are going (tying games on disc to an online account and doing away with used games) it appears I'm done buying new gaming systems.
Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best state, is a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
-Thomas Paine

To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.
-George Mason

User avatar
XZero77
Superstar
Posts: 18266
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:57 am
Location: The Wastes
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby XZero77 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:04 am

There have been rumblings of used game restrictions on next gen consoles for a while now. I'm sure the idea is being pushed by developers, but I'm not sure it'll actually happen. That said, if Sony does it I'd bet MS does as well, since I'm sure console exclusivity for certain games could be tied to it.

Such a move would all but kill companies like GameFly and GameStop. As bad as it sounds, it might actually result in a downturn in the cost of new games, which developers claim are impacted by the loss of profit resulting from used game sales.

I don't like the idea, but more and more games (like Mass Effect, for example) are gimped if you don't buy a new copy anyway.


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests