Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

biittner77
Superstar

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby biittner77 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:01 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:http://superheroes.theringer.com/

I starting looking over this list and noticed that I have never seen any movie in the 50-30 section of rankings. I've seen a good amount from 29-1, but there's any awful lot of movies there I don't even have interest in seeing.

I've seen 3. Neither of my sons have ever been into superhero movies, which makes convincing my wife to see any of these movies unpossible.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:11 am

CubinNY wrote:Thor was a lot of fun.
as much as i liked What Wé Do in thé Shadows, i was skeptical. But i really enjoyed Thor
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:42 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Ugh, if we're going by anal retentive complete beginning to end standards, fine...but seeing at least 50% of a movie on TV? You two are a couple of lying liars who lie.

I haven't randomly surfed tv in a good 5 years. Not by choice mind you, I've lived most of my life as a tv addict.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:44 am

I think Jersey is secretly asking to be rescued from some kind of imprisonment.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:45 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:I think Jersey is secretly asking to be rescued from some kind of imprisonment.

It's called fatherhood
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 am

I figured having kids would be carte blanche to watch nothing superhero garbage.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:50 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:I figured having kids would be carte blanche to watch nothing superhero garbage.

Girls.

We have Star Wars and the rest of disneys catalogue to bond over. Just watched raiders with them this weekend and it was a huge hit.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:08 am

I have now put the girls to bed and see the Incredible Hulk on hbo2, let's see how long I last
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:10 am

Scratch that. Big lebowksi is in Cinemax and true romance on showtime.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:41 am

I hope Blankman was No. 1 on that list
4 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:10 pm

cl smooth wrote:never understood the negative comments about the wolverine. i thought it was great!

seen 41 out of the top 50. blade at #55 is a travesty; it should be much higher.

EDIT: did they forget about sin city?

Sin City is a comic movie, not a superhero movie.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Banedon wrote:
cl smooth wrote:never understood the negative comments about the wolverine. i thought it was great!

seen 41 out of the top 50. blade at #55 is a travesty; it should be much higher.

That explains the absence of Howard the Duck. Thanks!
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Banedon wrote:

HTD was an honorable mention
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:31 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
Banedon wrote:

HTD was an honorable mention

heh, glossed right over that.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Boy, it sucks that Hollywood inexplicably wants to keep giving Mel Gibson another shot:

https://www.gq.com/story/mel-gibson-red ... dys-home-2

Daddy’s Home 2 is riffing on Gibson’s reputation as a Hollywood bad boy, so let’s review how Mel Gibson got that reputation in the first place. In 2006, he was arrested for driving 80 m.p.h. in a 45 m.p.h. zone with an open bottle of tequila in his car. When stopped, Gibson tried to run away. After he was detained, he said that "Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world" and asked the arresting officer if he was a Jew. He also called a female police officer "sugar [expletive]."

Four years later, Gibson was recorded making a series of horrific statements and threats to his ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva. He called her every misogynstic slur you can think of, and mixed those slurs with taunts of sexual violence: "I’ll burn the [expletive] house down, but blow me first!" He alluded to her being "raped by a pack of [expletive]" for the way she dressed, and made a derisive reference to "wetbacks." When she accused him of hitting her in the face and knocking her front teeth out, he was recorded saying, "You horsefeathering deserved it." Shortly after, he made a thinly veiled threat on her life: "I’m threatening. I'll put you in a horsefeathering rose garden, you [expletive]. You understand that?"

All of this is a matter of public record. None of it is in dispute. You can read the whole thing here. So no, I’m not amused that Daddy’s Home 2 casts Gibson as a self-assured man’s man and all-around badass. Gibson is literally introduced descending an airport escalator in a beatific orange glow, winking at flight attendants and regaling his grandkids with jokes about dead hookers.

But if Gibson’s character in Daddy’s Home 2 actually learns a lesson about the downsides of [expletive] macho posturing, it’ll be one more lesson than Gibson seems to have learned in his actual life. You can argue, convincingly, that someone with an open track record of racism, misogyny, and anti-Semitism can eventually earn a second chance. But while Gibson has gone to rehab, what’s most striking about his return to the spotlight is his apparent lack of remorse.

After the failure of B-movie junk like Get the Gringo and Machete Kills, Gibson largely withdrew from acting. His true comeback came with 2016’s overpraised Hacksaw Ridge: an overlong, unsubtle war movie that returned Gibson to the director’s chair for the first time in a decade.

During the promotional junket for Hacksaw Ridge—which eventually earned him a 10-minute standing ovation at the Venice Film Festival and a Best Director nomination at the Oscars—Mel Gibson embarked on a remarkable non-apology tour. The Atlantic’s Megan Garber did an expert job parsing one noteworthy appearance on The Late Show, in which Gibson repeatedly minimized the many self-inflicted wounds that had maimed his career in the first place. When host Stephen Colbert asked Gibson about his "rough patches," Gibson corrected him to "rough patch." Gibson eventually referred, again euphemistically, to an incident 10 years earlier that wasn’t his "proudest moment"—completely failing to acknowledge the Oksana Grigorieva tapes that had been published four years after the drunk-driving arrest.

Gibson went on: "It’s a pity that one has to be defined with a label from, you know, having a nervous breakdown in the back of a police car from a bunch of double tequilas, but that’s what it is. Now, you know, this is not—that moment shouldn’t define the rest of my life."

Do you see what happened there? Mel Gibson managed to reframe the entire incident to make Mel Gibson the victim. It happened again, in that same breathless PR push for Hacksaw Ridge, in an interview with Variety:

"I was loaded and angry and arrested. I was recorded illegally by an unscrupulous police officer who was never prosecuted for that crime. And then it was made public by him for profit, and by members of—we’ll call it the press. So, not fair. I guess as who I am, I’m not allowed to have a nervous breakdown, ever."

Look at Gibson moving the goalposts in real time. Sure, he said all those awful things—but the real villain is the cop who recorded him. And the so-called "journalists" who accurately reported what he said. And anyway, he was having a nervous breakdown, so is it really fair to hold him accountable for a bunch of horrible things he said? Aren’t you the one who’s in the wrong here?

Why the hell does anyone want to work with this guy? What does he bring to the table? He's a scumbag has-been; there's literally no reason to give him work unless you're shamelessly cashing in on the desperate freakshow aspect of it.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Ugh, I might as well post the whole damn article, but this clod infuriates me:

And then there’s the matter of the Oksana Grigorieva tapes. After the tapes were published, Gibson issued no statement on that subject for nearly a year, until he sat down for an interview with Deadline. When the subject of the tapes was raised, Gibson looked at the ceiling and shook his head and sighed. "Who anticipates being recorded? Who anticipates that? Who could anticipate such a personal betrayal?" Poor Mel Gibson. Treated so unfairly by the woman at whom he hurled nonstop verbal abuse in at least five phone calls.

GET BENT, MEL. horsefeathers him and horsefeathers his wholly unremarkable war flick that people inexplicably wanted to think was the greatest thing.
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:45 pm

Still haven't seen that Gibson movie. Unlikely I'll ever see it.
0 x

bd811
All-Star

Postby bd811 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:57 pm

“Well if I’d have known i was being recorded i wouldn’t have said those things!”
2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Nintendo has made a deal with Illumination Entertainment, the animation studio that makes the Despicable Me movies (as well as recent hits Sing and The Secret Life of Pets) to do an animated Mario movie.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/nintendo-is-fin ... 1820435189
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:02 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:12 pm

Uh, someone should tell him to talk to Tom Hanks about how terrible that kind of repeated weight loss/gain is for a damn movie role.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:44 am

Mayhem was fun
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:03 am

I’m watching 11/8/16 on Netflix, and my favorite line by far: “I don’t think a guy like Trump needs to rape somebody”
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:04 am

and horsefeathers hacksaw ridge forever

1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:33 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:and horsefeathers hacksaw ridge forever

Between this and Garfield's terrible accent and Vince Vaughn's general schlubbishnes, I refuse to believe this dumb lump of film has any worth besides being mocked.
0 x

Return to “Social”