Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:48 pm

17 Seconds wrote:isn't that just like instantwatcher?

Except not as good.

JustWatch is the best app for that fwiw
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:13 pm

Watched Phantom Thread in 70mm last night. Like Dunkirk in 70mm before it, watching it in 70mm helped me be a believer in the fact that film is dead. Literally added zero noticeable quality to the movie. If you make a good movie that you engage with the last thing you're going to notice is the quality of the film stock. The story here was great, and the movie was good. The 70mm film adds nothing to the experience, IMO.

The friend I saw it with was seeing it for the 2nd time and he said it was a lot funnier than you would expect. It definitely had some dark humor in it, but it was more awkward/cringe laughs because of the nature of the situations. Also, he was laughing loudly at parts no one else was laughing at so maybe he just has a weird sense of humor.

But yeah, the movie itself was very good. I'm not usually a PTA fan. I enjoy his movies but I don't [expletive] in my pants at the sheer mention of his name like a lot of people do, but this one was pretty good. They handed out booklets that I'm assuming are "For Your Consideration" booklets they hand out to the academy for their wardrobe department. Very cool presentation.

I like the story behind the cinematography of it. Apparently the cinematographer PTA usually works with was unavailable during the scheduling of this, and PTA ha shot some music videos on his own recently so he figured he'd just do all the cinematography himself. So a cinematographer is not credited on the film because PTA composed and lit the thing himself, with the help of his longtime gaffer and cam op. He did a pretty darn good job.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:04 pm

I really hope that this is some elaborate Super Bowl stunt and not real.

0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:17 pm

The Logan wrote:The friend I saw it with was seeing it for the 2nd time and he said it was a lot funnier than you would expect. It definitely had some dark humor in it, but it was more awkward/cringe laughs because of the nature of the situations. Also, he was laughing loudly at parts no one else was laughing at so maybe he just has a weird sense of humor.

[disclaimer: I have not seen the movie] I think PTA considers it a comedy, or at least party comedy, because he just did some twitter q&a and someone asked him about making a comedy and his response was "I just did"
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:28 pm

The dude always has big laughs in his movies.
0 x

abuck1220
Hall of Fame

Postby abuck1220 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:09 pm

The Logan wrote: I'm not usually a PTA fan.

aren't you the guy that's like "check out this student made short film about cat food" or whatever the hell? get out of town with your PTA naysaying.
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:14 pm

I love most of PTAs work but haven't seen Inherent Vice. How is it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:18 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I love most of PTAs work but haven't seen Inherent Vice. How is it?

It's a horsefeathering bonkers mess that's worth checking out at least a couple times. And unlike his other films, which tend to descend into absurdity to some degree, this does the opposite and starts off of the rails and then surprisingly gets more "serious" as it goes on.

Bottom line, if you're a fan of his, it's definitely worth seeing.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:00 am

abuck1220 wrote:
The Logan wrote: I'm not usually a PTA fan.

aren't you the guy that's like "check out this student made short film about cat food" or whatever the hell? get out of town with your PTA naysaying.

Nailed it. As usual. I mean if I liked it as someone who clearly hates PTA then it's probably not worth your time if it fits my tastes, so I'd probably skip Phantom Thread if I were you. I wouldn't waste your time slumming it to my level.

Anyways, moving on from that and on to issues regarding Moviepass. I know we've talked about it ad nauseum on here, but I just discovered a different service called Sinemia (https://www.sinemia.com/). Same concept, but different parameters. Parameters that might fit more to what you folks need.

Sinemia offers you the ability to see either 3 movies a month or 2 movies a month. The prices right now, with a new years discount are $16.99/mo or $15.99/annual for 3 movies, and $11.99/mo or $10.99/annual for 2 movies a month.

That might seem like a rip off compared to Moviepass, so here's Sinemia's benefits:

1) Those are good for TWO movie tickets. So TWO movie tickets to 2 or 3 movies a month depending on your package
2) It is accepted at ANY theater. That includes Arclight and LAndmark which Moviepass does not get accepted at.
3) It is good for ANY format. 3D, IMAX, 70mm screenings, XD, Dolby Cinema, etc. You can use it on anything
4) You can buy tickets in advance, so if you wanted to get tickets to, say, Black Panther you could do that now if you had it
5) You can buy tickets online through ticketing agents like Fandango which Moviepass doesn't allow.

Now when you look at those prices it may not seem that bad, but those are new year's discounts. Their regular prices are basically double that, so if this fits your needs then you may want to jump on this now. I have Moviepass and I'm probably signing up for this because in the last 4 months I've had it, I've maybe used it 3 times but seen 7 or 8 movies because I could only see certain movies at Landmark where they don't accept it or I've seen 70mm engagements, etc. That and the two closest movie theaters that are in walking distance to my apartment in Chicago are the Landmark and the Arclight and I can't go to either of them with Moviepass.

At that discounted price it's not a bad deal at all to carry both a moviepass or this if you're an avid moviegoer. I know many people on here weren't fans of MOviepass because of the lack of a family option of sorts. This will allow you and a significant other or friend to go for one price now, whcih isn't that bad.

The only hang up from what I've heard in my research is that the app to use it is a lot wonkier than the Moviepass app, so... yeah, whatever.

Anyways thought I'd share if people wqere in the market for a movie club membership of some sort.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:22 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I love most of PTAs work but haven't seen Inherent Vice. How is it?

It's a horsefeathering bonkers mess that's worth checking out at least a couple times. And unlike his other films, which tend to descend into absurdity to some degree, this does the opposite and starts off of the rails and then surprisingly gets more "serious" as it goes on.

Bottom line, if you're a fan of his, it's definitely worth seeing.

I was pretty ignorant going into Magnolia, so when the frogs started raining down it was about the craziest thing I'd ever seen, but then later to hear scientists say that it is a real phenomenon, I am hoping to check that off my bucket list someday, however unlikely.

Now I just gotta find Inherent Vice. Sounds great.

1 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 pm

oscar nominations are out:

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/oscar- ... 201918145/

roger deakins for best cinematography or GTFO.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:06 pm

cl smooth wrote:oscar nominations are out:

4 noms for Get Out including best picture! horsefeathers yeah
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:18 pm

which reminds me, i enjoyed The Shape of Water a lot more than i was expecting to; Michael Shannon should be an automatic seal of approval though

and nothing for Mother!, what a farce!
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:22 pm

sneakypower wrote:and nothing for Mother!, what a farce!

It got nominated for two Razzies. Worst director for Aronofsky and worst actress for Lawrence.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:19 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
cl smooth wrote:oscar nominations are out:

4 noms for Get Out including best picture! horsefeathers yeah

Peele becomes the 3rd person ever to get noms for Best Pic, Original Screenplay, and Best Director in their directorial debut.

The Oscars ain't what they used to be (particularly having 10 noms for BP is a big advantage) but that is quite an impressive feat, and especially so considering where he came from with Key and Peele.

0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:26 pm

So I just discovered that Sinemia price for was for ONE ticket, not two. There's a little checkbox that says "Sinemia for Two" and when you click it it basically doubles the price. I did not know that. Still, $30-$33 for 6 total tickets to 3 movies is a good deal. And the $15.99 for one person instead of two is still not too bad.
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 pm

The Logan wrote:So I just discovered that Sinemia price for was for ONE ticket, not two. There's a little checkbox that says "Sinemia for Two" and when you click it it basically doubles the price. I did not know that. Still, $30-$33 for 6 total tickets to 3 movies is a good deal. And the $15.99 for one person instead of two is still not too bad.

i just received my MoviePass card last week. pretty excited to start using it, but good to know there's another option out there.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:25 pm

Trying to figure out how Eastwood is going to stretch that train incident into a 2 hour panderfest. Guy pulled a gun on a train and was swiftly tackled with no fatalities. Doesn't seem like enough for a movie.

And holy hell, that dude is EIGHTY-SEVEN years old. I knew he was old and crazy but not that old.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:33 pm

Look, if there's a way to make a mediocre movie out of something, EASTWOOD WILL FIND A WAY.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Trying to figure out how Eastwood is going to stretch that train incident into a 2 hour panderfest. Guy pulled a gun on a train and was swiftly tackled with no fatalities. Doesn't seem like enough for a movie.

And holy hell, that dude is EIGHTY-SEVEN years old. I knew he was old and crazy but not that old.
using the actual people, right?
That's going to be weird
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 pm

the horsefeathers is urkel doing in that movie?
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:11 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:Trying to figure out how Eastwood is going to stretch that train incident into a 2 hour panderfest. Guy pulled a gun on a train and was swiftly tackled with no fatalities. Doesn't seem like enough for a movie.

That's going to be weird

Jesus, I just googled and you're right. That's uh...unique I guess.

fun fact: the very first Titanic movie starred an actual survivor, actress Dorothy Gibson, who played herself while wearing the original clothes she was rescued in.

I'm trying to think of other instances of that and I know there are a few. I want to say that Lee Marvin starred in an Iwo Jima movie and he was actually there. I could be totally wrong on that though.
0 x

Liam Neeson
All-Star

Postby Liam Neeson » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

That's going to be weird

fun fact: the very first Titanic movie starred an actual survivor, actress Dorothy Gibson, who played herself while wearing the original clothes she was rescued in.

I'm trying to think of other instances of that and I know there are a few. I want to say that Lee Marvin starred in an Iwo Jima movie and he was actually there. I could be totally wrong on that though.

A couple more I could think of off the top of my head.

Audie Murphy.

One of the background Navy Seals in Lone Survivor is played by the one dude who made it out.

That Eastwood train movie doesn't look good. I'll most likely end up watching it 5 years from now when it is on TNT and regret doing so when its over.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:19 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:
Audie Murphy.

Oh duh. That's so obvious I forgot about it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Jimmy Stewart played an army pilot in a WWII movie at some point. He flew a ton of bomber missions in WWII.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

That's going to be weird

0 x

Return to “Social”