Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:09 pm

I'm sure I'll finish it someday, but that all of these dudes with weird young faces very obviously moved around at all times like the old ass men that they clearly are was something I found distractingly hilarious.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:55 pm

2 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Richard Jewell looks interesting. It's different right off the bat with their non-pretty male lead in a drama, didn't even know that was allowed
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:13 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Richard Jewell looks interesting. It's different right off the bat with their non-pretty male lead in a drama, didn't even know that was allowed

Man, this is certainly a wild #won'tsomebodypleasethinkofthemen take.
5 x

MidoreX
All-Star

Postby MidoreX » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:36 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Richard Jewell looks interesting. It's different right off the bat with their non-pretty male lead in a drama, didn't even know that was allowed

I mean, he was a real dude who looked nothing like Brad Pitt or Ryan Gosling...
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:37 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Man, this is certainly a wild #won'tsomebodypleasethinkofthemen take.

Oh jeez, I done said male. More pro "ugly" (lack of a better word) people if anything

Just on time there's more manufactured but woke controversy around the film over Olivia Wilde's reporter character, Kathy Scruggs. Wilde's handling it like a boss, shutting it down as she should and bringing up the double standard inherent in the controversy...I'm more into seeing it

https://news.yahoo.com/olivia-wilde-def ... 10617.html

Scruggs’ portrayal in the film has been condemned by Kevin Riley, the current editor in chief of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Riley said in a statement to IndieWire “there is no evidence that this ever happened” and called the film’s suggestion that Scruggs traded sex for news info “offensive and deeply troubling in the #MeToo era.” Film critics have also slammed the movie for its depiction of Scruggs.

“I think it’s a shame that she has been reduced to one inferred moment in the film,” Wilde told Variety at the Gotham Awards when asked about the “Richard Jewell” backlash. “It’s a basic misunderstanding of feminism as pious sexlessness. It happens a lot to women; we’re expected to be one-dimensional if we are to be considered feminists. There’s a complexity to Kathy, as there is to all of us, and I really admired her.”

Wilde added, “I did a ton of research, I really embraced her dynamic, multidimensional nuanced personality. She was incredibly dogged and intrepid. She was famous for getting to crime scenes before the police.”

The actress suggested that there is a sexist bent to the “Richard Jewell” backlash considering everyone is taking her character to task, while leaving Jon Hamm’s FBI agent out of the conversation.

Wilde said, “She was also a woman working in the news in 1996; yeah, she had relationships with people she worked with. That’s pretty common in any industry. I don’t see the same thing happening to Jon Hamm’s character, who arguably does the exact same thing. I have nothing but respect for Kathy Scruggs, she’s no longer with us, so I feel a certain amount of responsibility to protect her legacy and tell people: ‘Back off. Don’t reduce her to this one thing.’”

I really think we got lucky that Thank You for Smoking got in just before the buzzer, no way would that be a movie that gets made today and it's barely over a decade old
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:45 pm

3 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Banedon wrote:https://youtu.be/RxAtuMu_ph4

Really excited that Stranger Things is part of the MCU now.
1 x

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:28 pm

SpongeWorthy wrote:no irishman takes you dweebs?

i loved it

Thought it was good but so much to digest. That monstrous run time will make repeated viewings infrequent too.

But Pesci was great, DeNiro fine and Pacino hilarious. The scene when he was in his office yelling at everyone had to have been a nod to his "SHE'S GOT A GREAT ASS!" scene from Heat.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:06 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I'm sure I'll finish it someday, but that all of these dudes with weird young faces very obviously moved around at all times like the old ass men that they clearly are was something I found distractingly hilarious.

i never once differentiated in my mind between the deniro who was supposed to look young and the deniro who was supposed to look old. In my head, deniro is like 45-50 years old and that's how old he is no matter how old he looks. I guess "young" deniro was supposed to be mid 30s? He still looked 50 to me.

The scene when he stomped on the bakery dude and threw the guns in the water was so distractingly "old man" that I couldn't get over it. I had to watch the gun scene multiple times because it was so preposterous.
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:09 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I'm sure I'll finish it someday, but that all of these dudes with weird young faces very obviously moved around at all times like the old ass men that they clearly are was something I found distractingly hilarious.

i never once differentiated in my mind between the deniro who was supposed to look young and the deniro who was supposed to look old. In my head, deniro is like 45-50 years old and that's how old he is no matter how old he looks. I guess "young" deniro was supposed to be mid 30s? He still looked 50 to me.

The scene when he stomped on the bakery dude and threw the guns in the water was so distractingly "old man" that I couldn't get over it. I had to watch the gun scene multiple times because it was so preposterous.

I always think it's so horsefeathering funny when he first shows up in Goodfellas and he's supposed to be, like, 20, because that was definitely by the point when he, like you said, just always looked like he was around 50 no matter what.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:40 pm

this is a good point, especially in contrast to some of the other December releases like Uncut Gems and The Irishman

1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:21 pm

Just from this trailer any whining about casting or the new 00 can go screw a goat again...Talk about a franchise that seamlessly moved into the 21st century, just like Godzilla did
3 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:18 pm

Dunno if anyone else has Plex, but they just added around 1000 movies available for streaming...free. Only catch is that they have some ads during them.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:33 pm

Banedon wrote:Dunno if anyone else has Plex, but they just added around 1000 movies available for streaming...free. Only catch is that they have some ads during them.

Plex is the absolute best thing. Media library, podcast setup, over-the-air dvr. Just aces.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:41 pm

Banedon wrote:Dunno if anyone else has Plex, but they just added around 1000 movies available for streaming...free. Only catch is that they have some ads during them.

Even by the standards of the Roku/Crackle channels, it's a pretty bleak lineup.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:00 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

Even by the standards of the Roku/Crackle channels, it's a pretty bleak lineup.

Well, it has a few pretty big 80s hits/classics.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Guancous
All-Star

Postby Guancous » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:10 pm

My wife picked Meet Me in St. Louis for movie night. We’ve never seen it but she likes some of the Christmas songs.

It’s peak St. Louis because:

1) Characters maintain St. Louis is a better place to live than New York
2) They laugh off entitled behavior that endangered people then blame it on a stranger
3) They live in a segregated community
4) Constantly blabbing about a guy named Yadier
4 x
Jose Quintana will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:00 pm

!!
5 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:19 pm

man, have yourself a year, Pedro Pascal
2 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:29 pm

what a fantastic use of "blue monday."
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:04 pm

3 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:31 pm

2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Banedon wrote:https://youtu.be/ahZFCF--uRY

I kept waiting for there to be some kind of joke about how ridiculously self-important and up its own ass this trailer is, but, uh, yeah, I guess that's the tone they're going with, which is horsefeathering weird for a sequel to a movie about a bunch of NY schlubs capturing ghosts for money.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:55 pm

SpongeWorthy wrote:no irishman takes you dweebs?

i loved it

Could've done without the last half an hour. Once they wrap up the main storyline it just seems like pointless fluff to try and ingratiate you into this dynamic between Deniro and his daughter. Speaking of, Anna Paquin was a waste of money. Get an unknown to play a role where someone says 2 or 3 lines and just looks at you all moody like. Literally no emotional connection to that character, young or old, even though we were obviously supposed to feel bad for her or something because Deniro was not a great father? I literally didn't care, and they made a large chunk of the end of the movie about that and it was a pointless waste of time.

I liked the movie, as a whole, though, but it did just feel like Scorcese fellating himself for a lot of it. I also thought Deniro's performance just seemed like he was doing an impression of himself. You could say the same for Pacino, but Pacino's performance worked for me, personally. But Pesci was horsefeathering great and deserves all the awards, he killed it.
0 x

Return to “Social”