Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:13 pm

1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:21 am

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is the best movie I watched in 2020.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:07 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Hunt for the Wilderpeople is the best movie I watched in 2020.

I watched it three weeks ago. It 100 percent owns and anyone that doesn't like it doesn't like good things. Also, my entire family now makes "stealin, spittin, runnin away" references at every occasion.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:40 pm

Wonder Woman 1984 is very terrible. Holy smokes, how did that movie get made?
1 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:49 am

We just finished watching Soul. Wow. Just a great movie, and the animation is incredible.
3 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:53 am

NOLA wrote:We just finished watching Soul. Wow. Just a great movie, and the animation is incredible.

Yeees, we were just blown away
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:57 pm

We did a Godfather marathon yesterday for Christmas. Watched 1 & 2. I had seen 1 in bits and pieces throughout the years but never from start to finish. Had never seen 2.

They are good movies.

You know what isn't a good movie? The Midnight Sky. George Clooney continues to make movies that look great on paper and in the trailer but fail miserably in their execution. Such a downer movie with such a weak ass twist. It's 2 hours of George Clooney felating his philanthropic ego by yelling at the world to solve its problems OR ELSE!
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:43 am

Me watching WW84:

2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:56 am

Hot take: the first Wonder Woman wasn’t any good either
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:21 am

Derwood wrote:Hot take: the first Wonder Woman wasn’t any good either

Why not
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Soul » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:20 pm

The Logan wrote:We did a Godfather marathon yesterday for Christmas. Watched 1 & 2. I had seen 1 in bits and pieces throughout the years but never from start to finish. Had never seen 2.

They are good movies.

You know what isn't a good movie? The Midnight Sky. George Clooney continues to make movies that look great on paper and in the trailer but fail miserably in their execution. Such a downer movie with such a weak ass twist. It's 2 hours of George Clooney felating his philanthropic ego by yelling at the world to solve its problems OR ELSE!

I didn’t watch the Clooney movie but my wife did. I walked in as it went to credits and she went “what?!? That’s it?” It’s enough for me to not waste the time.

It’s been so long since I watched The Godfather movies. I should go back, there’s been so many movies / shows that used those as a template but nothing quite like the original.

WW84 - had to look online to find out Wiig’s character had a name - cheetah. Story very contrived. Chris Pine is in the movie, but not really. She just sees him in this other guy so they show Pine instead. Okaaay?

I won’t get into the rest but there’s a list of things I had to forgive to enjoy the action elements of the film, which are decent (but of course that’s a base expectation).
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:42 pm

Soul wrote:
The Logan wrote:We did a Godfather marathon yesterday for Christmas. Watched 1 & 2. I had seen 1 in bits and pieces throughout the years but never from start to finish. Had never seen 2.

They are good movies.

I didn’t watch the Clooney movie but my wife did. I walked in as it went to credits and she went “what?!? That’s it?” It’s enough for me to not waste the time.

WW84 - had to look online to find out Wiig’s character had a name - cheetah. Story very contrived. Chris Pine is in the movie, but not really. She just sees him in this other guy so they show Pine instead. Okaaay?

I won’t get into the rest but there’s a list of things I had to forgive to enjoy the action elements of the film, which are decent (but of course that’s a base expectation).

WW84, the movie is too long and doesn't have a coherent story. The Mandalorian dude is wearing a terrible wig that draws all attention to how terrible the wig is in every scene. I mean, why put him in that wig? It was supposed to take place in 1984 and I didn't see one mullett. That's just for starters. The movie made me angry, like it insulted me. Zack Snider should be locked up few months for making this film and then submitting it to the public.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:44 pm

The Logan wrote:You know what isn't a good movie? The Midnight Sky. George Clooney continues to make movies that look great on paper and in the trailer but fail miserably in their execution. Such a downer movie with such a weak ass twist. It's 2 hours of George Clooney felating his philanthropic ego by yelling at the world to solve its problems OR ELSE!

Perfect critique.

I cannot believe you never watched The Godfather.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:47 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Soul wrote:

They are good movies.

WW84, the movie is too long and doesn't have a coherent story. The Mandalorian dude is wearing a terrible wig that draws all attention to how terrible the wig is in every scene. I mean, why put him in that wig? It was supposed to take place in 1984 and I didn't see one mullett. That's just for starters. The movie made me angry, like it insulted me. Zack Snider should be locked up few months for making this film and then submitting it to the public.

Didn’t Patty Jenkins direct WW84?
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:54 pm

cl smooth wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
Soul wrote:I didn’t watch the Clooney movie but my wife did. I walked in as it went to credits and she went “what?!? That’s it?” It’s enough for me to not waste the time.

She directed the movie, but it is his movie and story.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:13 pm

CubinNY wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

no it isnt lol
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:38 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

no it isnt lol

ok, whoever made it should be scorned.
1 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:04 pm

produced by Snyder (and Jenkins and a host of others). Written and directed by Jenkins.

I was really excited about Jenkins doing Star Wars fighter squadron stuff until I watched this movie.

Suddenly WW can fly because she just "feels" the air around her after talking with Steve?

Not great, Bob.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:37 pm

Yeah, the real concerns are about someone flying in a superhero movie, and not things like the insane plot points hinged on racism/xenophobia and WILDLY terrible takes on sexual assault.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:40 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Yeah, the real concerns are about someone flying in a superhero movie, and not things like the insane plot points hinged on racism/xenophobia and WILDLY terrible takes on sexual assault.

Hey, all that was horrible, too.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:42 pm

aaaaaaand theyve already announced that Jenkins will direct WW3
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:46 pm

I'm willing to chalk up the horsefeathers up stuff in the script to Geoff Johns, who is, IMO, one of the singularly worst comic book writers ever who has inexplicably been handed control of almost an entire publishing house. The dude hasn't met the edgelord bull horsefeathers yet he doesn't cream his pants over, so why the horsefeathers would you possibly bring him on to write something like this? His stench sticks out like a neon sign of suck.
2 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:58 am

I had dirt low expectations for WW1984, but ended up really liking it? I grew up on the Richard Donner Superman movies on VHS, this entire movie felt like one of those but made in 2020. The story is more or less cheery, like you're never truly worried about Our Heroes, but underneath is loaded with all this commentary about greed, power, the madness behind More, family, redemption, what makes a man/woman/person, etc. Was it maybe a little clumsy? Sure, we're talking about a movie with an every man message no one wants to hear coming through it's two villains and a warrior princess goddess protagonist. Predictable? Again yes, it's a comic book movie the good guy wins hope prevails yada yada. Still, I'm for any movie that takes shots at this this obsession with more money and more power just for the sake of having more in fewer hands, tries to show how it has just destroyed and corrupted individuals and families on a global scale, and left *billions* feeling increasingly inadequate and hopeless in a world so full of resources and Value...Basically, I'm choosing to look at it as firing some shots at the world the Reagan era ushered in with a smile, was able to sell to most people despite it's ultimate agenda working against literally everyone but 5-6 reptiles and their familiars

Also also Kristen Wiig was great as usual, the Cheetah design was another pleasant surprise even if they had to set the battle at night to hide any issues
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:15 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Yeah, the real concerns are about someone flying in a superhero movie, and not things like the insane plot points hinged on racism/xenophobia and WILDLY terrible takes on sexual assault.

i tuned out pretty hard on this one, what parts are you talking about?
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:21 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:I had dirt low expectations for WW1984, but ended up really liking it? I grew up on the Richard Donner Superman movies on VHS, this entire movie felt like one of those but made in 2020. The story is more or less cheery, like you're never truly worried about Our Heroes, but underneath is loaded with all this commentary about greed, power, the madness behind More, family, redemption, what makes a man/woman/person, etc. Was it maybe a little clumsy? Sure, we're talking about a movie with an every man message no one wants to hear coming through it's two villains and a warrior princess goddess protagonist. Predictable? Again yes, it's a comic book movie the good guy wins hope prevails yada yada. Still, I'm for any movie that takes shots at this this obsession with more money and more power just for the sake of having more in fewer hands, tries to show how it has just destroyed and corrupted individuals and families on a global scale, and left *billions* feeling increasingly inadequate and hopeless in a world so full of resources and Value...Basically, I'm choosing to look at it as firing some shots at the world the Reagan era ushered in with a smile, was able to sell to most people despite it's ultimate agenda working against literally everyone but 5-6 reptiles and their familiars

Also also Kristen Wiig was great as usual, the Cheetah design was another pleasant surprise even if they had to set the battle at night to hide any issues

They didn’t do any of that well either. If it went for camp and nostalgia, it missed by 3 miles. If you want to see the 80s done right watch the first season of Stranger Things.

This movie was plastic dog horsefeathers after young Diana at the Wonder Woman Olympics. Kristen Wig and Pascal are getting good reviews, but whatever talent they have was wasted with bad wigs, terrible lines, and a wafer thin story.
0 x

Return to “Social”