Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

abuck1220
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22413
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:03 am
x 1
x 561

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby abuck1220 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:22 am

so glad we get to do an “OMC pointing out a historically inaccurate civil war belt buckle” thing, but it’s with derwood and horsefeathering godzilla movie.
6 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73778
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1604
x 3501

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Derwood » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:36 am

abuck1220 wrote:so glad we get to do an “OMC pointing out a historically inaccurate civil war belt buckle” thing, but it’s with derwood and horsefeathering godzilla movie.


Yes, totally the same thing
0 x

User avatar
seanimal
stats enthousiast
Posts: 9363
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:56 am
Location: the final frontier
x 497
x 580

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby seanimal » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:02 am

did not miss derwood movie takes
3 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 68888
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 7378
x 7227

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:42 pm

0 x

User avatar
seanimal
stats enthousiast
Posts: 9363
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:56 am
Location: the final frontier
x 497
x 580

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby seanimal » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:38 am

the most interesting "new to me" movie i've seen recently was brawl in cell block 99. when i saw that it had don johnson i was like, well, this is definitely going to be a trainwreck. the kind of thing where you're like "does the sequel have mark paul gosselar or something?"

anyway, it very much felt like a throwback to some of the great, violent, and morally relativistic movies from the 70's, but with a nice dose of campiness to keep the grim tale from being a total slog. i want to watch it again, which i think is as good a recommendation as any
1 x

User avatar
seanimal
stats enthousiast
Posts: 9363
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:56 am
Location: the final frontier
x 497
x 580

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby seanimal » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:16 pm

oh yeah, totally forgot that i got obsessed with once upon a time in hollywood. well maybe not obsessed, but it was the first movie i got pumped about re-watching in a long time. mostly just because for the last few years, my movie watching energies were being sapped by my kids' choices. but now i'm reclaiming my time and watching real movies on occasion. not that air buddies is not a real movie because it is, i just mean movies for sophisticates. which is me, that is what i am

anyway, once upon a time in hollywood was fun and great and really funny. i guess some people don't like the ending but i do. it's my second-favorite part of the movie. my favorite part of the movie the combination of dalton biffing his lines in the saloon > hating himself in the trailer > doing the scene with luke perry and the girl > the girl's comments after cut. incredible. a triumph of cinema. also brad pitt is in it and he is good and funny too
2 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 33641
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 3487
x 7927
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby big ball chunky time » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:08 am

Yeah I really loved it. I loved it more the second time actually.

Excited for some hot denzel action tonight
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9418
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1777
x 930

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby javy knows my name » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:43 am

What a homecoming! Wolf, abuck, and now sean! Love it. Come back to us, tree!
2 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9418
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1777
x 930

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby javy knows my name » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:24 am

The Denzel movie was straight-up bad
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Rob
Superstar
Posts: 13585
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:33 pm
x 833
x 632

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:24 pm

My three year old has spent this entire winter making me listen to the old Disney short movie of Peter and the Wolf. There's a version that injects David Bowie's narration on Youtube, so that's what we've been going with.

Tricking my daughter into listening to classical music has been a big win for me.
1 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 33641
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 3487
x 7927
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby big ball chunky time » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:51 pm

javy knows my name wrote:The Denzel movie was straight-up bad


not just bad, but offensive.

Spoiler: show
So the plot, if you put it sequentially, is that Denzel shoots and kills a woman who had been stabbed by a murderer but left alive. He and a coworker cover it up. He leaves LA then 5 years later meets Rami Malek, who murders a suspect. He and Denzel cover that one up. Denzel then essentially plants evidence to make Rami Malek feel better about his murder. And these are the good guys!
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9418
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1777
x 930

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby javy knows my name » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:02 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
javy knows my name wrote:The Denzel movie was straight-up bad


not just bad, but offensive.

Spoiler: show
So the plot, if you put it sequentially, is that Denzel shoots and kills a woman who had been stabbed by a murderer but left alive. He and a coworker cover it up. He leaves LA then 5 years later meets Rami Malek, who murders a suspect. He and Denzel cover that one up. Denzel then essentially plants evidence to make Rami Malek feel better about his murder. And these are the good guys!


Yep, and how about

Spoiler: show
Denzel's little victim-blaming monologue at the coroner? What the horsefeathers did I watch
3 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 33641
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 3487
x 7927
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby big ball chunky time » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:26 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:
javy knows my name wrote:The Denzel movie was straight-up bad


not just bad, but offensive.

Spoiler: show
So the plot, if you put it sequentially, is that Denzel shoots and kills a woman who had been stabbed by a murderer but left alive. He and a coworker cover it up. He leaves LA then 5 years later meets Rami Malek, who murders a suspect. He and Denzel cover that one up. Denzel then essentially plants evidence to make Rami Malek feel better about his murder. And these are the good guys!


Yep, and how about

Spoiler: show
Denzel's little victim-blaming monologue at the coroner? What the horsefeathers did I watch


Yep. I was thinking to myself was this movie just set in the 90s or was it made in the 90s? Then I read it was written in the 90s
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

chopsx9
Starter
Posts: 568
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:22 am
x 31
x 90

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby chopsx9 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:31 pm

seanimal wrote:oh yeah, totally forgot that i got obsessed with once upon a time in hollywood. well maybe not obsessed, but it was the first movie i got pumped about re-watching in a long time. mostly just because for the last few years, my movie watching energies were being sapped by my kids' choices. but now i'm reclaiming my time and watching real movies on occasion. not that air buddies is not a real movie because it is, i just mean movies for sophisticates. which is me, that is what i am

anyway, once upon a time in hollywood was fun and great and really funny. i guess some people don't like the ending but i do. it's my second-favorite part of the movie. my favorite part of the movie the combination of dalton biffing his lines in the saloon > hating himself in the trailer > doing the scene with luke perry and the girl > the girl's comments after cut. incredible. a triumph of cinema. also brad pitt is in it and he is good and funny too


It's a strange movie for me. I absolutely enjoyed it but I feel it definitely had it's issues. It drags in some places, the scene at the ranch doesn't really make much sense and I see the criticisms about the ending but, man, Leo and Pitt are fantastic and there are some really great scenes. Still think it should have ended with Polanski returning home because he thinks Sharon's having an affair, can't find her because she's snogging Dalton in his pool and there's a tap on the door and in come the devil's rejects to take care of business. Go hard or go home.
0 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85516
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16667
x 18777

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:31 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
javy knows my name wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:
not just bad, but offensive.

Spoiler: show
So the plot, if you put it sequentially, is that Denzel shoots and kills a woman who had been stabbed by a murderer but left alive. He and a coworker cover it up. He leaves LA then 5 years later meets Rami Malek, who murders a suspect. He and Denzel cover that one up. Denzel then essentially plants evidence to make Rami Malek feel better about his murder. And these are the good guys!


Yep, and how about

Spoiler: show
Denzel's little victim-blaming monologue at the coroner? What the horsefeathers did I watch


Yep. I was thinking to myself was this movie just set in the 90s or was it made in the 90s? Then I read it was written in the 90s


It totally feels like one of those bajillion terrible cop movies DeNiro and Pacino made in the late 90's and early 2000's.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85516
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16667
x 18777

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:47 pm

chopsx9 wrote:
seanimal wrote:oh yeah, totally forgot that i got obsessed with once upon a time in hollywood. well maybe not obsessed, but it was the first movie i got pumped about re-watching in a long time. mostly just because for the last few years, my movie watching energies were being sapped by my kids' choices. but now i'm reclaiming my time and watching real movies on occasion. not that air buddies is not a real movie because it is, i just mean movies for sophisticates. which is me, that is what i am

anyway, once upon a time in hollywood was fun and great and really funny. i guess some people don't like the ending but i do. it's my second-favorite part of the movie. my favorite part of the movie the combination of dalton biffing his lines in the saloon > hating himself in the trailer > doing the scene with luke perry and the girl > the girl's comments after cut. incredible. a triumph of cinema. also brad pitt is in it and he is good and funny too


It's a strange movie for me. I absolutely enjoyed it but I feel it definitely had it's issues. It drags in some places, the scene at the ranch doesn't really make much sense and I see the criticisms about the ending but, man, Leo and Pitt are fantastic and there are some really great scenes. Still think it should have ended with Polanski returning home because he thinks Sharon's having an affair, can't find her because she's snogging Dalton in his pool and there's a tap on the door and in come the devil's rejects to take care of business. Go hard or go home.


For me it was just Tarantino's issues from IB-onwards. The dude will put together a loose collection of some of the best scenes in a film I've ever seen, with some of the best writing and acting you'll get....but something about the whole thing just completely falls apart for me. I'm all for a good aimless hang movie, but these always weirdly feels like he just comes up with 50% of a movie, and then just let's the rest happen in a real "horsefeathers it" kinda way.

Which, again, isn't automatically a problem, but for me what shines with him is just how horsefeathering great everything is when is ON and just impeccably crafting these scenes and lines and characters that mean the world to, so it's just weirdly jarring when it's all thrown together into these mish-mashes that are only kind of a whole movie.

Like, the ending of OUaTiH doesn't bug me for being too violent or weird or anything....it just feels like something from a completely different movie. Like, if you want to make this gonzo grindhouse take on 60's Hollywood, awesome, make THAT movie! But keep this one as the very Tarantino version of Altman film that it is for, like, 90% of the rest of it.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 33641
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 3487
x 7927
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby big ball chunky time » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:01 pm

“Your dick is hard as Chinese arithmetic!!!!” - a line they somehow convinced Denzel to say
3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9418
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1777
x 930

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby javy knows my name » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:15 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:“Your dick is hard as Chinese arithmetic!!!!” - a line they somehow convinced Denzel to say


That was a very abrupt end to the only enjoyable scene in the whole movie
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
seanimal
stats enthousiast
Posts: 9363
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:56 am
Location: the final frontier
x 497
x 580

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby seanimal » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:10 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
chopsx9 wrote:
seanimal wrote:oh yeah, totally forgot that i got obsessed with once upon a time in hollywood. well maybe not obsessed, but it was the first movie i got pumped about re-watching in a long time. mostly just because for the last few years, my movie watching energies were being sapped by my kids' choices. but now i'm reclaiming my time and watching real movies on occasion. not that air buddies is not a real movie because it is, i just mean movies for sophisticates. which is me, that is what i am

anyway, once upon a time in hollywood was fun and great and really funny. i guess some people don't like the ending but i do. it's my second-favorite part of the movie. my favorite part of the movie the combination of dalton biffing his lines in the saloon > hating himself in the trailer > doing the scene with luke perry and the girl > the girl's comments after cut. incredible. a triumph of cinema. also brad pitt is in it and he is good and funny too


It's a strange movie for me. I absolutely enjoyed it but I feel it definitely had it's issues. It drags in some places, the scene at the ranch doesn't really make much sense and I see the criticisms about the ending but, man, Leo and Pitt are fantastic and there are some really great scenes. Still think it should have ended with Polanski returning home because he thinks Sharon's having an affair, can't find her because she's snogging Dalton in his pool and there's a tap on the door and in come the devil's rejects to take care of business. Go hard or go home.


For me it was just Tarantino's issues from IB-onwards. The dude will put together a loose collection of some of the best scenes in a film I've ever seen, with some of the best writing and acting you'll get....but something about the whole thing just completely falls apart for me. I'm all for a good aimless hang movie, but these always weirdly feels like he just comes up with 50% of a movie, and then just let's the rest happen in a real "horsefeathers it" kinda way.

Which, again, isn't automatically a problem, but for me what shines with him is just how horsefeathering great everything is when is ON and just impeccably crafting these scenes and lines and characters that mean the world to, so it's just weirdly jarring when it's all thrown together into these mish-mashes that are only kind of a whole movie.

Like, the ending of OUaTiH doesn't bug me for being too violent or weird or anything....it just feels like something from a completely different movie. Like, if you want to make this gonzo grindhouse take on 60's Hollywood, awesome, make THAT movie! But keep this one as the very Tarantino version of Altman film that it is for, like, 90% of the rest of it.


yeah, i get this. i think there's some element of sentimentality on his part for the pieces that don't necessarily drive the thing forward but were fun ideas or little charms on the bracelet that he just couldn't edit out. but i also think the altman comparison is a little reductive, feels like shorthand for saying "it's 3 hours long and has 42 characters". unlike altman, tarantino is deliberately investing in the tragedy of these characters. altman could only see characters like dalton and booth as loathsome, and any kind of happy ending for them could only be an indictment on humanity if not specifically american society. yet there we are, loving the hell out of a guy who probably murdered his wife and whose only concern with regards to a cult with underage girls is that they might be pulling a fast one on an old landowner. when the wife murderer does some more violence to the hippy chicks, we're not like "oh that's problematic", we're like "YES!"

but i don't see how we could possibly believe the violence laid out by booth if we didn't get the stunt man background, the bruce lee scene, the sitting-on-a-boat-with-a-harpoon-and-a-nagging-wife scene, and yes, the ranch

and even though, ostensibly, we're invested in the rewrite of history because sharon tate and her baby live, we really enjoyed the way it happened. i don't think that's possible to pull off without the stuff that preceded it
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85516
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16667
x 18777

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:32 pm

seanimal wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
chopsx9 wrote:
It's a strange movie for me. I absolutely enjoyed it but I feel it definitely had it's issues. It drags in some places, the scene at the ranch doesn't really make much sense and I see the criticisms about the ending but, man, Leo and Pitt are fantastic and there are some really great scenes. Still think it should have ended with Polanski returning home because he thinks Sharon's having an affair, can't find her because she's snogging Dalton in his pool and there's a tap on the door and in come the devil's rejects to take care of business. Go hard or go home.


For me it was just Tarantino's issues from IB-onwards. The dude will put together a loose collection of some of the best scenes in a film I've ever seen, with some of the best writing and acting you'll get....but something about the whole thing just completely falls apart for me. I'm all for a good aimless hang movie, but these always weirdly feels like he just comes up with 50% of a movie, and then just let's the rest happen in a real "horsefeathers it" kinda way.

Which, again, isn't automatically a problem, but for me what shines with him is just how horsefeathering great everything is when is ON and just impeccably crafting these scenes and lines and characters that mean the world to, so it's just weirdly jarring when it's all thrown together into these mish-mashes that are only kind of a whole movie.

Like, the ending of OUaTiH doesn't bug me for being too violent or weird or anything....it just feels like something from a completely different movie. Like, if you want to make this gonzo grindhouse take on 60's Hollywood, awesome, make THAT movie! But keep this one as the very Tarantino version of Altman film that it is for, like, 90% of the rest of it.


yeah, i get this. i think there's some element of sentimentality on his part for the pieces that don't necessarily drive the thing forward but were fun ideas or little charms on the bracelet that he just couldn't edit out. but i also think the altman comparison is a little reductive, feels like shorthand for saying "it's 3 hours long and has 42 characters". unlike altman, tarantino is deliberately investing in the tragedy of these characters. altman could only see characters like dalton and booth as loathsome, and any kind of happy ending for them could only be an indictment on humanity if not specifically american society. yet there we are, loving the hell out of a guy who probably murdered his wife and whose only concern with regards to a cult with underage girls is that they might be pulling a fast one on an old landowner. when the wife murderer does some more violence to the hippy chicks, we're not like "oh that's problematic", we're like "YES!"

but i don't see how we could possibly believe the violence laid out by booth if we didn't get the stunt man background, the bruce lee scene, the sitting-on-a-boat-with-a-harpoon-and-a-nagging-wife scene, and yes, the ranch

and even though, ostensibly, we're invested in the rewrite of history because sharon tate and her baby live, we really enjoyed the way it happened. i don't think that's possible to pull off without the stuff that preceded it


I had a weird-ish take where I thought the stuff like the Bruce Lee scene and the wife story where just BS/urban legend-type stuff that had creeped up around this guy. The ranch scene throws that pretty much out the window, but still, when it got to the climax, part of me really thought we'd suddenly see at the end it was somehow just someone's boozed up dream or something, and the sobering reality sets in for everyone, whether it's something as simple as a career fading away due to age/irrelevance, or being cut short due to something as random as the Manson Family murders.

And I love your take on what this movie would have been if it had been Altman doing it, and you're right that comparing the two can be lazy. Yeah, it does largely come down to the size and the scope, but it's the shambolic, scattershot nature of these latter day Tarantino films, and there's just something missing that makes when Altman does that work so much more for me than Tarantino. I want a focused Tarantino again; not all the time, but it would be cool if we got the Jackie Brown, Kill Bill Tarantino at least once in a while, instead of the Tarantino whos seems to be making a movie like an excitable, easily distracted puppy sometimes (which, to be fair, can and often does work in his favor...to a point).

It's a cliched point I've brought up here before, but losing Sally Menke as his editor after IB really has seemed to kind of set him adrift with his last 3 films. I love IB, but I think it would have been a similar "mess" as the subsequent 3 films if she hadn't been there.
0 x

User avatar
seanimal
stats enthousiast
Posts: 9363
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:56 am
Location: the final frontier
x 497
x 580

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby seanimal » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:21 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:It's a cliched point I've brought up here before, but losing Sally Menke as his editor after IB really has seemed to kind of set him adrift with his last 3 films. I love IB, but I think it would have been a similar "mess" as the subsequent 3 films if she hadn't been there.


i didn't know this but it makes sense
1 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38778
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1593
x 2173

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:06 pm

Jurassic Park but the dinos have all been replaced with Pee-Wee.

3 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 16051
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 7850
x 2595

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby The Logan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:05 pm

Two things, one:



I'm into it

Two, I know they've been out for a while but the "The Movies" series from CNN/Hanks is on HBOMax and me and the GF started watching them and they're a ton of fun. Wrapping the series up tonight.
2 x
Image

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 15523
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 3625
x 2018

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:55 pm

Decided to jump into the MCU last night. I've only ever seen Black Panther before.

Decided to start chronologically so went with Captain America. Was this the right move? I thought CA was okay. How would it rank amongst all MCU films?
0 x
Image

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 2708
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 4685
x 1148

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby cl smooth » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:04 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Decided to jump into the MCU last night. I've only ever seen Black Panther before.

Decided to start chronologically so went with Captain America. Was this the right move? I thought CA was okay. How would it rank amongst all MCU films?


it's a fun starting point for cap's adventures. winter soldier is the best captain america movie while civil war is essentially avengers 2.5.
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests