Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:54 am

mmmm, eric stoltz
2 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:57 am

Seconding the Pete's Dragon remake as excellent. I'm really really really looking forward to The Green Knight from Lowery this year
1 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:44 am

another one kind of like that was when i saw the man who knew too little. my friend (we were like 14 or whatever) was like "this movie sucks" and walked out maybe like 20 min in. dumbass. that movie rules
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:22 am

seanimal wrote:another one kind of like that was when i saw the man who knew too little. my friend (we were like 14 or whatever) was like "this movie sucks" and walked out maybe like 20 min in. dumbass. that movie rules

I saw that movie at I think age 16 or 17 and thought it was even more hilarious then than I do now.
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:29 pm

So having watched Iron Man and Iron Man 2 in the past couple of days, I can say that Sofa's music hot take is nonsense. Iron Man had 3 or 4 AC/DC butt rock songs, but it wasn't like the entire score was tweedly tweedly do guitar nonsense. Iron Man 2 ALSO had butt rock, but added in a bunch of 90's hip hop for no particular reason.

I'm still debating which of the two movies I liked better. Both had strong points and very bad points. I'm leaning slightly towards the first one
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:42 pm

You're nuts, and vastly overstating the presence of AC/DC. They get, like, a couple brief needle-drops. THERE IS SO MUCH ORIGINAL BUTT ROCK SCORE. Even when they try to use an orchestra, there's still so much butt chugging guitar being thrown down, like it's the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

This is, in fact, an ice cold take:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man_(soundtrack)

But it's OK: 3 fixed it:

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:45 pm

What's wrong with AC/DC?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:48 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:You're nuts, and vastly overstating the presence of AC/DC. They get, like, a couple brief needle-drops. THERE IS SO MUCH ORIGINAL BUTT ROCK SCORE. Even when they try to use an orchestra, there's still so much butt chugging guitar being thrown down, like it's the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

This is, in fact, an ice cold take:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man_(soundtrack)

But it's OK: 3 fixed it:

I was listening specifically for the butt rock, and didn't hear it much at all in the score. The first five minutes have a bunch of it (AC/DC, Suicidal Tendencies, etc.) but then it went away.

But it's an action flick, so the music is what it is. There were easier things to criticize about the first movie than the music (gross, lazy "generic Arab terrorists" baddies, the aggressively uninteresting performances by Howard and Paltrow, etc.)
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:56 pm

CubinNY wrote:What's wrong with AC/DC?

Nothing. Derwood's talking like the farty guitar was their fault, but they're barely in it (same with Suicidal Tendencies).

He's also wrong about Paltrow, who is great in these movies, and mercifully anchors them at times when RDJ (and Favreau, actually) is practically unbearable.

This is also the best moment:

"SCRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPS!!!"
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:00 pm

GUH-GUH-GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHH!!!!

CHUGGACHUGGABWONKFRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!

SQUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEE-FRONK-FRONK-CHUNGACHUNGACHUNGA!!!

I mean, yes, you're right; sometimes it veers into terrible orchestral techo like an early aughts Bond flick, so there's that, I guess.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:07 pm

I liked Paltrow much better in IM2, and Cheadle was an obvious upgrade. I wanted to like Rourke’s villain more than I did
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:25 pm

i cant believe im thinking about this this much but we just re-watched iron man 3 semi recently and at the end i was like oh yeah, gwyneth paltrow has like powers now? But of course by the last couple avengers movies she was just a mom again for the most part. Did I miss something or were they like uhhh yeah nevermind
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

grassbass
All-Star

Postby grassbass » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:32 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:i cant believe im thinking about this this much but we just re-watched iron man 3 semi recently and at the end i was like oh yeah, gwyneth paltrow has like powers now? But of course by the last couple avengers movies she was just a mom again for the most part. Did I miss something or were they like uhhh yeah nevermind

Doesn't Stark say he can "fix" her? It's definitely vague if he has removed all that power from her or simply made it more "stable" so she won't ever explode like some of the other people who had it. But it's clear that he did something to her with respect to her powers, just like he also went under the knife to get the shrapnel removed from his chest.
0 x
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:11 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:i cant believe im thinking about this this much but we just re-watched iron man 3 semi recently and at the end i was like oh yeah, gwyneth paltrow has like powers now? But of course by the last couple avengers movies she was just a mom again for the most part. Did I miss something or were they like uhhh yeah nevermind

They absolutely handwaved that horsefeathers away.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:27 pm

I wonder how they would have played it if she hadn't become borderline box office poison because of Goop.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:36 pm

Banedon wrote:

Yeah, they talk about how they can "stabilize" it....but not that they were removing it, so they were clearly leaving it open to her still having powers. I guess the implication maybe is the suit she has in Endgame is powered by or somehow controls her powers, but yeah, it is a question of, "OK, what about the beginning of IW? She's right there when horsefeathers goes down!"
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:38 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Yeah, they talk about how they can "stabilize" it....but not that they were removing it, so they were clearly leaving it open to her still having powers. I guess the implication maybe is the suit she has in Endgame is powered by or somehow controls her powers, but yeah, it is a question of, "OK, what about the beginning of IW? She's right there when horsefeathers goes down!"

Isn’t she Rescue in the comics? Like that’s where the purple iron man armor comes from?
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:41 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

After Tony blew up his suits at the end of IM3 they handwaved that away too.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:43 pm

what the horsefeathers is this
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:45 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Isn’t she Rescue in the comics? Like that’s where the purple iron man armor comes from?

She is, but it really just happens because they need her there when Tony kicks it in the movies.
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:51 pm

cl smooth wrote:https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1359179753723482123

That's just Jared Leto. He's not in costume.
4 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:12 pm

bukie wrote:
cl smooth wrote:https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1359179753723482123

That's just Jared Leto. He's not in costume.

yeah that's literally just a paparazzi pic of him going into a jimmy johns

i have a feeling we're going to get so much content out of justice league, it's basically impossible for me to be disappointed by it
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:20 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

After Tony blew up his suits at the end of IM3 they handwaved that away too.

Sort of. I like that it's the closest the movies come to Tony being the alcoholic he is in the comics; the dude is flat out addicted to making these things. And the way the character is depicted, he goes from being obsessed with making them to protect himself to being obsessed with making things that can protect everyone. Then Ultron happens, and he largely quits at the end of the second Avengers flick.

The main thing that gets handwaved away with him and Pepper is how in Civil War it's presented like they broke up, but then when we next see her in Homecoming it's like nothing happened and they're just casually getting engaged.

It was also a bit odd watching the ending of Homecoming where they're acting, oh boy, "he's going to join the Avengers," and we see activity on the compound like the Avengers are doing stuff....but who the hell would it be? This is right after Civil War, so there are effectively no Avengers. Iron Man's not even REALLY an Avenger at that point, even though the movie acts like he's out there just doing IM stuff on the regular. And they're only just now packing up Avengers tower? Ultimately it's mostly nitpick-y stuff, but Homecoming is weird like that. It's clearly a story that for a long, long time had nothing to do with the MCU stuff (obviously, since Sony had been developing it on their own) and a lot of it got smooshed in in a real superficial way that feels more like the Deadpool movies' relationship with the X-stuff as opposed to really being "in" the MCU. 90% of it really makes more sense happening before Civil War.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:47 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
The main thing that gets handwaved away with him and Pepper is how in Civil War it's presented like they broke up, but then when we next see her in Homecoming it's like nothing happened and they're just casually getting engaged.

Welcome to relationships.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:39 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Welcome to relationships.

Gee, thanks.

It's just a weird thing to make a big deal in one movie, and then it is, as Brandon said, handwaved away like it never happened.

I kinda wonder if there was a question of whether or not she'd be back at the time of CW's production.
0 x

Return to “Social”