Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 46271
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 89
x 3022
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Tim » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:08 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:http://www.northsidebaseball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45&start=2775#p261900

In case some of you want to see what your ranking of Marvel movies now compares to what it was 2 1/2 years ago, almost 3.

The top of my list was pretty close, the bottom was pretty close...and there was a lot of movement in the middle.

Infinity War
Black Panther
Thor: Ragnarok
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
Spider-Man: Homecoming
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Captain America: Civil War
Captain America: The First Avenger
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Thor
Thor: The Dark World
The Incredible Hulk

vs

S: Infinity War & Endgame, Ragnarok, Winter Soldier, GotG
A: Homecoming, Avengers, Black Panther, GotG2, First Avenger, Ant-Man, Age of Ultron
B: Civil War, Far from Home, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man & Wasp, Captain Marvel
C: Thor, Iron Man 3, Iron Man 2
D:
F: Hulk, Dark World
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85529
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16673
x 18784

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:17 am

Rob wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Hmmmm. Time to get spicy.

OK, if we're doing the tier thing...

S: Infinity War & Endgame, Iron Man 3, First Avenger, Homecoming, GotG2, Ragnarok
A: Winter Soldier, both Ant-Man movies, GotG, Age of Ultron
B: Civil War, Black Panther, Iron Man 1 & 2, Thor, Doctor Strange
C: Captain Marvel, Avengers, Dark World, Far from Home
D: That [expletive] Hulk movie


So the ones we disagreed on by more than 1 tier were Iron Man 3, Cap 1, Ant-Man 2, and the first two Avengers movies.

I can’t fathom how you got Iron Man 3 to S tier, so I’ll leave that one alone. Same for Cap.

But I will say Avengers 1 has been steadily moving down my rankings, while Ultron is climbing as we get more connection via WandaVision. So we might not end up far apart on those in a couple years.

Ant-Man 2 moved more on my list than any of them. I really had no idea what to do with it. I may have to watch that one again and see how I feel next time.


That people don't think IM3 is awesome is kinda baffling to me. Or at the very least better than the other two IM movies.

I mean, for this alone:



Shane Black rules (sometimes).
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 46271
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 89
x 3022
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Tim » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:33 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Rob wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Hmmmm. Time to get spicy.

OK, if we're doing the tier thing...

S: Infinity War & Endgame, Iron Man 3, First Avenger, Homecoming, GotG2, Ragnarok
A: Winter Soldier, both Ant-Man movies, GotG, Age of Ultron
B: Civil War, Black Panther, Iron Man 1 & 2, Thor, Doctor Strange
C: Captain Marvel, Avengers, Dark World, Far from Home
D: That [expletive] Hulk movie


So the ones we disagreed on by more than 1 tier were Iron Man 3, Cap 1, Ant-Man 2, and the first two Avengers movies.

I can’t fathom how you got Iron Man 3 to S tier, so I’ll leave that one alone. Same for Cap.

But I will say Avengers 1 has been steadily moving down my rankings, while Ultron is climbing as we get more connection via WandaVision. So we might not end up far apart on those in a couple years.

Ant-Man 2 moved more on my list than any of them. I really had no idea what to do with it. I may have to watch that one again and see how I feel next time.


That people don't think IM3 is awesome is kinda baffling to me. Or at the very least better than the other two IM movies.

I mean, for this alone:



Shane Black rules (sometimes).

I dunno. I guess I prefer Iron Man not to be quite so angsty
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24500
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 970
x 2685

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:21 am

far from home is the best mcu movie
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85529
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16673
x 18784

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:36 am

Tim wrote:I dunno. I guess I prefer Iron Man not to be quite so angsty


See, that's what I really like in that one, because otherwise the dude is just this over the top Elon Musk alpha bro surrogate with bizarre facial hair; that works up to a point in the previous movies, but eventually that character needs to change (again, as much as I love Homecoming, the Tony Stark in that seems teleported in from around IM2-era MCU). IM3 is his Winter Soldier; it's where his character stops being a cartoon (as much as one can in a comic book flick). It's one of the few with actual stakes because it's a guy going through some actual horsefeathers.
0 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 16051
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 7851
x 2595

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby The Logan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:44 am

IM3 is my favorite of the trio and I agree Shane Black rules (sometimes).
2 x
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 68891
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 7384
x 7228

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:01 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:That people don't think IM3 is awesome is kinda baffling to me. Or at the very least better than the other two IM movies.

I mean, for this alone:



Shane Black rules (sometimes).


There's a couple of issues with IM3.

1) While I sort of liked it, the Mandarin swerve was pretty upsetting for some big comic nerds, and rightfully so, since he'd been billed as the big bad. Personally, I've gotten over it, but there's definitely people that haven't.



2) There's absolutely zero consequences to it. I mean, even Thor 2 had enough importance that it was referred back to in Endgame....hell they had to actually travel back to that movie! But the closest we got for IM3 was that the kid was at Tony's funeral, and none of us knew who he was on first viewing. The only lasting consequences, as we've talked about, were handwaved away.

So that means it's a good standalone movie. Which is fine...nothing wrong with that, but in this interconnected thing that the MCU is doing, it just makes it sort of more forgettable despite having some really cool moments, like the airplane rescue and the final battle with all the suits.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62886
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3574
x 12878

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:28 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:That people don't think IM3 is awesome is kinda baffling to me. Or at the very least better than the other two IM movies.

I mean, for this alone:



Shane Black rules (sometimes).


There's a couple of issues with IM3.

1) While I sort of liked it, the Mandarin swerve was pretty upsetting for some big comic nerds, and rightfully so, since he'd been billed as the big bad. Personally, I've gotten over it, but there's definitely people that haven't.



2) There's absolutely zero consequences to it. I mean, even Thor 2 had enough importance that it was referred back to in Endgame....hell they had to actually travel back to that movie! But the closest we got for IM3 was that the kid was at Tony's funeral, and none of us knew who he was on first viewing. The only lasting consequences, as we've talked about, were handwaved away.

So that means it's a good standalone movie. Which is fine...nothing wrong with that, but in this interconnected thing that the MCU is doing, it just makes it sort of more forgettable despite having some really cool moments, like the airplane rescue and the final battle with all the suits.


If the mandarin swerve upset comic nerds then this movie vaults to the top echelon for me.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

NOLA
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5532
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1684
x 1277
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby NOLA » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:00 pm

We watched Us last night. It was pretty good, mostly because the acting was awesome. Still, we were a little disappointed after all the hype. It felt like a mediocre M Night Shyamalan movie for the last third with its random twists, and the Scooby Doo-like big reveal where the “villain” spills the entire plot near the end felt cheap.

Still, like all Jordan Peele movies, it was beautifully shot and the characters were interesting. Just not as good as we’d hoped.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73789
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1606
x 3507

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Derwood » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:28 pm

NOLA wrote:We watched Us last night. It was pretty good, mostly because the acting was awesome. Still, we were a little disappointed after all the hype. It felt like a mediocre M Night Shyamalan movie for the last third with its random twists, and the Scooby Doo-like big reveal where the “villain” spills the entire plot near the end felt cheap.

Still, like all Jordan Peele movies, it was beautifully shot and the characters were interesting. Just not as good as we’d hoped.


Get Out was 1000x better. Us was so convoluted that it took a character literally explaining the twist and then it was still dumb. The overall premise was really promising, but it completely botched the pay off
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85529
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16673
x 18784

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:51 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:If the mandarin swerve upset comic nerds then this movie vaults to the top echelon for me.


Yuuuuuuuuup. It's a good, funny twist, and the comic version of the character is a massively overpowered racist caricature. If they did the comic version he would essentially be Fu Manchu with his own version of the Infinity Stones, and why would they possibly need that in the MCU?
1 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5532
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1684
x 1277
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby NOLA » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:53 pm

Derwood wrote:
NOLA wrote:We watched Us last night. It was pretty good, mostly because the acting was awesome. Still, we were a little disappointed after all the hype. It felt like a mediocre M Night Shyamalan movie for the last third with its random twists, and the Scooby Doo-like big reveal where the “villain” spills the entire plot near the end felt cheap.

Still, like all Jordan Peele movies, it was beautifully shot and the characters were interesting. Just not as good as we’d hoped.


Get Out was 1000x better. Us was so convoluted that it took a character literally explaining the twist and then it was still dumb. The overall premise was really promising, but it completely botched the pay off

Exactly. Plus:
Spoiler: show
We had a good idea that the little girls had switched places during the opening fun house scene.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85529
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16673
x 18784

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:56 pm

Banedon wrote:2) There's absolutely zero consequences to it. I mean, even Thor 2 had enough importance that it was referred back to in Endgame....hell they had to actually travel back to that movie! But the closest we got for IM3 was that the kid was at Tony's funeral, and none of us knew who he was on first viewing. The only lasting consequences, as we've talked about, were handwaved away.


Nah. Yeah, like we talked about, stuff with Pepper just gets all but ignored in multiple movie, but IM3 is a direct through line to what Stark does in Avengers 2. We see time and time again that the guy is essentially hooked on making this stuff, but going into IM3 it's because he's terrified for himself above all else. It's why he keeps making suit after suit after suit and why he refuses to get the surgery, both because of the risk and because he thinks it'll leave him vulnerable. IM3 is a pop version of him dealing with his trauma from the previous IM movies and the first Avengers movie, but he's not "fixed" by the end of it. He even talks about it in AoU: he's moved on from being obsessed with how he can best protect himself to being obsessed with how he can best protect EVERYONE. It's not ignored at all, and it becomes the thrust of both AoU and CW.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 68891
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 7384
x 7228

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:If the mandarin swerve upset comic nerds then this movie vaults to the top echelon for me.


Yuuuuuuuuup. It's a good, funny twist, and the comic version of the character is a massively overpowered racist caricature. If they did the comic version he would essentially be Fu Manchu with his own version of the Infinity Stones, and why would they possibly need that in the MCU?


The "real" Mandarin is going to be one of the villains in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, fwiw.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85529
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16673
x 18784

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:19 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:If the mandarin swerve upset comic nerds then this movie vaults to the top echelon for me.


Yuuuuuuuuup. It's a good, funny twist, and the comic version of the character is a massively overpowered racist caricature. If they did the comic version he would essentially be Fu Manchu with his own version of the Infinity Stones, and why would they possibly need that in the MCU?


The "real" Mandarin is going to be one of the villains in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, fwiw.


Presumably sans his ridiculous 10 alien elemental rings of power or whatever the horsefeathers they are. Iron Man has a pretty craptacular rogues gallery in the comics, and that people consider him the "best" one...yech.

I also had no idea they were making a Shang-Chi movie, so that horsefeathering rules. It makes sense that they're using the Mandarin in that series instead, since in the 70's comics Fu Manchu was the main villain, but Marvel lost the rights to use that character in the 80's (which sucks just because it means the best Shang-Chi comics have never gotten a full reprint collection), so, hey, why not use their own Fu Manchu knock-off?

I completely forgot that they made a home media short film a few years ago which was post-IM3 and revealed that The Ten Rings (the terrorist organization, not the actual alien rings) was actually a real thing and not just a front. Can't find the full thing online, but it stars Scoot McNairy playing a guy going to interview Ben Kingsley's character in prison. Turns out Scoot is actually working for the real Ten Rings, blah-blah-blah. Sam Rockwell shows up as Justin Hammer again, and there are some really bad prison rape jokes. Good times?
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85529
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16673
x 18784

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:30 pm

At the end of the new trailer for the godforsaken Justice League nightmare, the Joker actually says, "we live in a society."

Image
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73789
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1606
x 3507

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Derwood » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:48 pm

Has there ever been more build up for a director's cut of a movie that no one wants?
0 x

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 2709
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 4686
x 1149

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby cl smooth » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:If the mandarin swerve upset comic nerds then this movie vaults to the top echelon for me.


Yuuuuuuuuup. It's a good, funny twist, and the comic version of the character is a massively overpowered racist caricature. If they did the comic version he would essentially be Fu Manchu with his own version of the Infinity Stones, and why would they possibly need that in the MCU?


The twist pissed me off at first but then I got over it since we got to see Ben Kingsley be comic relief in a horsefeathering superhero movie.
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 85529
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 16673
x 18784

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:04 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:If the mandarin swerve upset comic nerds then this movie vaults to the top echelon for me.


Yuuuuuuuuup. It's a good, funny twist, and the comic version of the character is a massively overpowered racist caricature. If they did the comic version he would essentially be Fu Manchu with his own version of the Infinity Stones, and why would they possibly need that in the MCU?


The twist pissed me off at first but then I got over it since we got to see Ben Kingsley be comic relief in a horsefeathering superhero movie.


So were you pissed off because you wanted to see the comic version? I'm genuinely curious; I get that to a degree, but if it wasn't that, I wonder what bugged some folks so much about it. Like, there's still an actual villain, with super powers and everything.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 33642
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 3488
x 7927
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby big ball chunky time » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:24 pm

Derwood wrote:Has there ever been more build up for a director's cut of a movie that no one wants?


sounds like some people might actually want it
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73789
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1606
x 3507

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Derwood » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:46 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:
Derwood wrote:Has there ever been more build up for a director's cut of a movie that no one wants?


sounds like some people might actually want it


they know not what they seek
0 x

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 2709
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 4686
x 1149

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby cl smooth » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:25 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Yuuuuuuuuup. It's a good, funny twist, and the comic version of the character is a massively overpowered racist caricature. If they did the comic version he would essentially be Fu Manchu with his own version of the Infinity Stones, and why would they possibly need that in the MCU?


The twist pissed me off at first but then I got over it since we got to see Ben Kingsley be comic relief in a horsefeathering superhero movie.


So were you pissed off because you wanted to see the comic version? I'm genuinely curious; I get that to a degree, but if it wasn't that, I wonder what bugged some folks so much about it. Like, there's still an actual villain, with super powers and everything.


Should have clarified: I wanted to see the Mandarin in action using the Ten Rings but seeing Ben Kingsley act like a horsefeathering goofball was something I didn’t know I needed. Went into the theatre assuming he was the big bad but the film giving me something else entirely and it worked.

EDIT: Like you said, we get the Infinity Stones a few movies later so it would’ve been redundant anyways.
1 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62886
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3574
x 12878

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:46 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:At the end of the new trailer for the godforsaken Justice League nightmare, the Joker actually says, "we live in a society."

Image

Now I get this
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 68891
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 7384
x 7228

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:27 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:At the end of the new trailer for the godforsaken Justice League nightmare, the Joker actually says, "we live in a society."

Image


Good god I'd never heard of this "meme", so I didn't understand why this would be a problem.
0 x

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33512
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1126

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Andy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:03 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Though it does have the appalling scene where Black Widow tries to say she's a "monster" because she can't have kids, which, holy horsefeathers, Whedon, what the horsefeathers is wrong with you? Dude apparently cut more of the Thor vision scene (with Loki) so that he wouldn't have to cut that. Yeesh.

The lines being placed back to back is probably on the Rushmore of clumsy screenwriting, but when I first saw the movie, my understanding was that she was saying she was a monster because she had been indoctrinated under the "train ruthless killing machines" culture that included, yes, forced sterilization. That so many people read that scene the other way was, of course, his fault.
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests