Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 32037
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 426
x 3363

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:46 am

Derwood wrote:Please tell me one of you saw this

http://observer.com/2017/09/darren-aron ... f-the-year

I get that Rex Reed is, uh, bad, but this movie seems to be polarizing and I'm curious what someone not begging for ad-clicks thinks about it

I haven’t seen it, and I’m too lazy to read the whole thing, but I do agree with him that Black Swan suuuuuucked.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Castro's Spray Chart
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 8455
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: the REAL chicago
x 742
x 218

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Castro's Spray Chart » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:05 am

I have no patience for critics who don't appreciate Aronofsky
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 64772
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 453
x 1127

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Derwood » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Castro's Spray Chart wrote:I have no patience for critics who don't appreciate Aronofsky


I kinda like Black Swan, but mother sounds like a mess
0 x
Image

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 1273
x 206

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby cl smooth » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:18 pm

seeing mother! this afternoon. Black Swan is an incredible film; out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it? My favorite of his is The Fountain.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 69897
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5632
x 7536

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Dude always at least makes an interesting film, even if it ends up being a bit of a clunker.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 64772
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 453
x 1127

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Derwood » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:39 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Dude always at least makes an interesting film, even if it ends up being a bit of a clunker.


Mother doesn't sound boring, so you're right there. It's getting mostly love it/hate it reviews...very polarizing
0 x
Image

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 1273
x 206

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby cl smooth » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:06 pm

Our Alamo drafthouse had power surges and fire alarms go off before the movie. They sat everyone in the theater after the listed start time of 1:05pm and proceeded to serve people drinks and food before canceling the viewing of the movie 45 minutes later. Alamo comped everyone for their tickets, food and drinks as well as free tickets to any other movie and a $10 food voucher.

2nd attempt to view mother! scheduled for Tuesday night.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 63523
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2763
x 2960

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:15 pm

3 hour extended cut of Donner's Superman: The Movie to be released on blu-ray.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-three-hour-e ... 1818543643

Image
0 x
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 63523
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2763
x 2960

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:26 am

Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger are both returning for the sixth Terminator film. James Cameron, who made the first two films, is producing, with Tim Miller (Deadpool) directing.


The new film, which does not yet have a release date, is being crafted as part of a trilogy “that can stand as single movies or form an overarching story.” It’s also being viewed as a direct sequel to Terminator 2: Judgement Day, ignoring the three sequels that followed.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 45664
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Winterfell
x 137
x 399

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Stannis » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 am

Banedon wrote:
Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger are both returning for the sixth Terminator film. James Cameron, who made the first two films, is producing, with Tim Miller (Deadpool) directing.


The new film, which does not yet have a release date, is being crafted as part of a trilogy “that can stand as single movies or form an overarching story.” It’s also being viewed as a direct sequel to Terminator 2: Judgement Day, ignoring the three sequels that followed.


So the poor assistant gaffer that Christian Bale screamed at for 3 minutes never actually existed?
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 69897
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5632
x 7536

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:35 am



Image
1 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36133
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 806
x 1052

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:13 am



Image
0 x
Image

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 1273
x 206

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby cl smooth » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:04 pm

mother! was a horsefeathers of a movie. i went into the showing doing my best to stay away from spoilers and i'm glad i did. it's a 2 hour movie and (i think) close to 60-70 minutes of that are close-up shots of jennifer lawrence's face. the sound design was fantastic and the lack of score/music forces you to focus on the dialogue and the camerawork/framing of the scenes.

this movie isn't for everyone and one of the things i took away from it was that a major studio commissioned a film as cerebral as this for a late summer release. they had it go up against it and was destroyed at the box office; the movie's budget was $33 million and it made $6 million last weekend. two of the producers of the film were at the screening i went to and the q&a session afterwards touched upon this. the main producer (scott franklin) stated that even though the box office numbers state otherwise, the movie-going public are tired of watching tent-pole summer blockbusters, superhero movies and reboots. there's been a lack of original movies coming from major motion picture studios and that paramount took a big risk to fund a movie like mother!. i'd see it again.
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 69897
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5632
x 7536

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:07 pm

cl smooth wrote:the main producer (scott franklin) stated that even though the box office numbers state otherwise, the movie-going public are tired of watching tent-pole summer blockbusters, superhero movies and reboots.


Wait, what? This has basically been the worst summer for the modern box office model ever. How does he not know that?
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 69897
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5632
x 7536

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Also: I see what he was saying come up repeatedly, that less people going to the movies means people are sick of blockbusters. I don't think that's the case at all; when has that ever been the case? It's usually that people are sick of or getting sick of the TYPES of blockbusters that have been coming out. There's never going to be a big swerve to smaller movies on the scale he's seemingly talking about. Never.

That said, the model is just going to have keep changing in terms of reduced box office expectations; so much of the downturn in box office revenue is due to people having so many more media options at home and on the go now (and these same options already make smaller films available to more people than any other point in film history). Yeah, they'll shift and jump all over new blockbuster trends than what's currently waning now, but nothing is ever going to bring things back to what they want; that's dumb turn of the millennium record company thinking.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 63523
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2763
x 2960

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:27 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Also: I see what he was saying come up repeatedly, that less people going to the movies means people are sick of blockbusters. I don't think that's the case at all; when has that ever been the case? It's usually that people are sick of or getting sick of the TYPES of blockbusters that have been coming out. There's never going to be a big swerve to smaller movies on the scale he's seemingly talking about. Never.

That said, the model is just going to have keep changing in terms of reduced box office expectations; so much of the downturn in box office revenue is due to people having so many more media options at home and on the go now (and these same options already make smaller films available to more people than any other point in film history). Yeah, they'll shift and jump all over new blockbuster trends than what's currently waning now, but nothing is ever going to bring things back to what they want; that's dumb turn of the millennium record company thinking.


Right. It's the same reason that advertisters and networks have just had to deal with the fact that ratings are way, way lower than what they used to be. Top show ratings now would've been borderline cancellation candidates 10 years ago. There's just too many options available in television. Similarly, when people have a 65" 4K tv at home, they're perfectly happy waiting for most movies to be available at home in one form or another.
1 x
Image

User avatar
ctcf
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25770
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: Derplyn
x 95
x 89
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby ctcf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Kingsmen 2 is profoundly stupid
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21144
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 98
x 212

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby CubinNY » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:02 pm

I rented The Mummy last night. It might be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's like they tried to make a movie based on a treatment outline of a screen play. I don't usually get insulted by movies, but that movie pissed me off.
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 43598
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 57
x 1495
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Tim » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:03 pm

ctcf wrote:Kingsmen 2 is profoundly stupid

The first one was stupid, but a lot of fun. Is that the case here or is it just stupid?
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 1273
x 206

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby cl smooth » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:42 pm

good time is bananas. robert pattinson should get some award buzz along with the soundtrack from oneohtrix point never.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 69897
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 5632
x 7536

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:50 pm

cl smooth wrote:good time is bananas. robert pattinson should get some award buzz along with the soundtrack from oneohtrix point never.


Man, that movie was good. Exhaustingly bleak, but so good.
0 x

User avatar
bukie
Superstar
Posts: 18322
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 4:17 am
Location: Midlothian, IL
x 30
x 1784
Contact:

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby bukie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:40 am

Tim wrote:
ctcf wrote:Kingsmen 2 is profoundly stupid

The first one was stupid, but a lot of fun. Is that the case here or is it just stupid?

Oh it's still fun, it's just another ct hot take.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 63523
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2763
x 2960

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:50 pm

So who's shocked to find out that Harry Knowles is a piece of horsefeathers? Anyone?

http://www.slashfilm.com/films-statemen ... community/
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55924
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1486
x 4781

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:14 pm

Banedon wrote:So who's shocked to find out that Harry Knowles is a piece of horsefeathers? Anyone?

http://www.slashfilm.com/films-statemen ... community/

i've heard this name a bunch this week but still have no idea who the F he is
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 63523
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 2763
x 2960

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:24 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:So who's shocked to find out that Harry Knowles is a piece of horsefeathers? Anyone?

http://www.slashfilm.com/films-statemen ... community/

i've heard this name a bunch this week but still have no idea who the F he is


He's the founder of AintItCoolNews which was basically the first big movie website on the internet. He's also one of the big reasons for the Austin movie scene.

Also he looks like this.

Spoiler: show
Image


EDIT: I decided to spoiler that...nobody wants to look at that too long.
0 x
Image


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests