Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:54 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Normally I'm annoyed by "the book/comic book did it THIS way..."-style complaints, but this is a character who literally has zero reason to exist without Spider-Man, soooooooooooooo....what's the point? It's like making a Bizarro movie that's inexplicably divorced from Superman.

Yep...what symbol will he have on his chest...any? What will it be if the symbiote has never merged with Parker?

Like, it's not a huge swerve to just make it a generic alien body horror/action flick, but it does strip what was already (IMO) a pretty flat character of anything that made him interesting in that he was basically an evil Spider-man, who specifically mimicked the same character design and powers, or negated them and knew who Peter Parker was. THAT was his whole hook, not just, "Venom is a violent alien goo possessing a human who does horsefeathers up stuff" (which is, unfortunately, all he turned into REAL fast as they rode him into the ground and then some).
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:12 pm

cl smooth wrote:avengers: infinity war spoilers are starting to appear online. if spoilers aren't your thing: be careful.

Seeing it at 7pm, cant wait
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:37 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
cl smooth wrote:avengers: infinity war spoilers are starting to appear online. if spoilers aren't your thing: be careful.

Seeing it at 7pm, cant wait

Yeah, I'm watching it tomorrow night. Super excited. I've managed to avoid spoilers so far.

So it's 2 hrs and 40 minutes and I've read online that still doesn't feel long enough for each Avenger to really shine/get some lines in. I mean this movie has a ridiculously large cast (I get it), but what everyone wants to see is Steve Rogers and Tony Stark and maybe T'Challa lead the way and crack some one-liners.

Screw Hawkeye.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:21 am

Infinity War was packed to the gills. I need a second viewing to absorb everything.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Went to see Infinity War last night. About halfway through the movie I get some frantic texts from my wife that one of my sons has to go to the ER. He's been sick and has been coughing non-stop and was struggling a little bit to breathe. Anyways, it was just precautionary and he will be fine, but regardless I had to walk out on the film halfway through and I'm still upset because the first 90 mins I saw was awesome. I walk out right when (MAJOR SPOILERS)
Spoiler: show
Red Skull showed up
. Luckily my theater gave me a re-admission card so gonna try again tonight. The first half was so good I'm gonna start again from scratch.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:36 pm

Infinity war is super ambitious. It was really entertaining but the second part will have to thread the needle to be as satisfying.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Infinity War spoilers

When you combine

A working knowledge of comics Thanos, and the fact that they were always going to split Infinity War into two parts, I figured the most logical guess would be the first one ending with the finger snap of doom and the second one finding a way to reverse it. It was really well done, I’m just surprised people seem to taking it as so shocking and not seeing the obvious rewind that will happen.

It was extremely well done. Way back when they first teased Thanos, I wondered how they could do him without being cartoonish. The original Infinity War arc was from a different, goofier age in comics. But holy poop did they do an amazing job with him. We can put to bed the “mcu can’t do great villains” idea forever.

I’m a shameless spider-man fan, but I thought he had the two best lines. “Oh, we’re doing our made-up names?” and “magic!...more magic!...magic with a kick!”
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:56 pm

We can put to bed the “mcu can’t do great villains” idea forever.

It should have been put to bed a while ago.
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:13 am

infinity war

they owe me triple hulk in the sequel. TRIPLE. HULK.
3 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:21 am

snoodmonger wrote:infinity war

I saw your tweet right after I got out of my showing and I felt so bad for you.

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
I figured the most logical guess would be the first one ending with the finger snap of doom and the second one finding a way to reverse it. It was really well done, I’m just surprised people seem to taking it as so shocking and not seeing the obvious rewind that will happen.

For me I was caught a little off guard because 1) I figured if it happened it wouldn’t be in part one 2) the way they did it was really affecting, focusing on all the heroes we’ve spent hours with and only passing reference to regular citizens and 3) paradoxically, eliminating so many heroes that very obviously aren’t going to stay dead(looking at you, Spidey and Black Panther) makes it tougher to pull off part 2(because the rewind isn’t going to be in doubt) without feeling ‘Season 3 of Heroes’ cheap in the process.
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:16 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:infinity war

I saw your tweet right after I got out of my showing and I felt so bad for you.

Never in all my years did I think my grievance would be so legitimate. But I loved the movie.
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:34 am

I just finished watching it and they did a great job. Thanos is BY FAR the best villain in the MCU. It's not even close. Not sure where I rank it among all the Marvel movies...

I still don't understand his plan for keeping everything in balance/killing half the population of the universe. I suppose genocide never makes sense to normal sane human beings, but this is genocide on a whole 'nother level.

Shouldn't an advanced civilization be able to expand to other planets/systems when their home planet is running out of resources? I don't understand what happened on Titan, but a massive experiment gone awry or some invading army destroying the planet would have made more sense in my mind.

I have to say I'm happy they changed his motivation for doing all of this from what it was in the comics. Being infatuated with Death itself or Lady Death or whatever you want to call it ... no thanks. Too weird. I'm glad they changed that part of his story.

Seeing Red Skull again was an awesome callback.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:20 pm

It was incredible:

I could tell immediately that Red Skull wasn't Hugo Weaving. Too bad. They probably just wanted to put the "what happened to Red Skull" thing to bed.

It makes a ton of sense that Ant-Man and the Wasp takes place BEFORE Infinity War now...I'm just not sure why they didn't release it first.

Is it just me, or did Cap have very few lines? I know there was a ton to put in there, but I really thought his character was underserved for being one of the three big characters of the start of the MCU (Iron Man/Cap/Thor)

The CGI of Banner's head in the Hulk armor was laughably bad.

Lots of people in my theater didn't know that was Captain Marvel's symbol in the post-credit scene.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:59 am

I didn't even think about this because the movie was so wall-to-wall that it's easy to overlook stuff, but (infinity war spoiler)

Cap and Iron Man never actually meet, either to make up or reiterate how much they hate each other now. Assuming that will be in A4.
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:21 pm

Two infinity complaints

Star-Lord not being able to hold it together for 3 more seconds re: Gamora when they almost had the glove off sucked . I wish they had come up with something better there.

Captain America caught one of Thanos's punches and stopped it. This is the same Thanos that ragdolled the Hulk when he had four fewer infinity gems. GMAFB.

Infinity War 2 pre-complaint: if Banner can't get it up Hulk-wise for the majority of that movie too so they can break Hulk out at the climactic moment, I'm gonna be super annoyed.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:48 pm

infinity war comments:

* i'm guessing that with the captain marvel/ms. marvel tease during the post-credits scene, she'll get the majority of the heavy lifting that would've been given to adam warlock since the writers stated no warlock in infinity war part 2 (even though he was teased during the post-credits scene in guardians of the galaxy 2.

* the nerd in me wishes that fox and marvel could've gotten their horsefeathers straight earlier so that silver surfer and the x-men could've been included.

* josh brolin is truly the mvp of this film.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:58 pm

MCU Logic nitpick:

At the end of the first Thor movie, the rainbow bridge is destroyed...and it's made a big deal of that Thor is stuck and can't get back to Midgard/Earth to see Jane.

In Thor: Ragnarok, all of Asgard is destroyed.

In Infinity War, how can Heimdall and then later Thor magically summon a rainbow bridge?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:09 pm

Banedon wrote:MCU Logic nitpick:

At the end of the first Thor movie, the rainbow bridge is destroyed...and it's made a big deal of that Thor is stuck and can't get back to Midgard/Earth to see Jane.

In Infinity War, how can Heimdall and then later Thor magically summon a rainbow bridge?

https://screenrant.com/avengers-infinit ... ark-magic/

1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:36 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:MCU Logic nitpick:

https://screenrant.com/avengers-infinit ... ark-magic/

I didn't make that "dark magic" connection. Flimsy, but I like the callback.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:43 pm

Yeah, and then Giganto Dinklage said something about how the super-axe tapped into the same magic, I guess.

All very hand-wavy in a perfectly comic book-sort of way. Somebody definitely would have gotten a No-Prize.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:59 pm

I have absolutely zero desire to see the X-Men folded into the MCU.

The X-Men and everyone else sharing a universe has always been awkward and bad in the comics, too.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:48 pm

This is a very good, nerdy article about Infinity War. Full of spoilers if you haven't seen it yet...

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/holy- ... 1825608763
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Ant-Man and the Wasp poster...

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 01, 2018 2:47 pm

1 x

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Tue May 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I have absolutely zero desire to see the X-Men folded into the MCU.

The X-Men and everyone else sharing a universe has always been awkward and bad in the comics, too.

Why is it that so many things you say are so very incorrect?
0 x

Return to “Social”