Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Movie Thread 2: The Sequel

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 01, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm with him; my comic fandom become exponentially more enjoyable when I dropped any and all X-titles shortly after Morrison's awesome run ended...damn, well over a decade ago? I've checked back in occasionally when writers I really liked have tried to tackle the X-monster (Warren Ellis, Mike Carey, Jason Aaron), but it even chewed them up and spit them out. It's such an unwieldy mess, even by comic book standards.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Except for Peter David's last X-Factor run, though I think even that ended at least 5 years ago.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 01, 2018 6:21 pm

I'm actually more excited for the possibility of the Fantastic Four getting in the MCU than any of the X-Men properties.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 01, 2018 8:02 pm

This was in an interview last year And everybody thought he was joking....spoilers if you haven't seen Infinity War....

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Banedon wrote:This was in an interview last year And everybody thought he was joking....spoilers if you haven't seen Infinity War....

0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue May 01, 2018 9:13 pm

i saw that banedon (don't worry, i've been spoiled already)
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 01, 2018 9:17 pm

17 Seconds wrote:i saw that banedon (don't worry, i've been spoiled already)

Yeah I didn't think it was too spoilery...it was still pretty non-specific and vague, but when I tried to put it in spoiler tags, it wouldn't resolve the twitter link so bleh.

Don Cheadle responded on twitter, so if you're interested, go look it up, lol.
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Wed May 02, 2018 4:01 pm

Banedon wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:i saw that banedon (don't worry, i've been spoiled already)

Yeah I didn't think it was too spoilery...it was still pretty non-specific and vague, but when I tried to put it in spoiler tags, it wouldn't resolve the twitter link so bleh.

Don Cheadle responded on twitter, so if you're interested, go look it up, lol.

Damn, Mark Raffalo needs to learn some impulse control lol. I never saw this interview, but it's pretty bad watching that clip now. I don't think you need to add a spoiler tag for this.

What the hell was he thinking? I wonder if he was high during that interview...
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 03, 2018 12:15 am

0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu May 03, 2018 12:26 am

Banedon wrote:This was in an interview last year And everybody thought he was joking....spoilers if you haven't seen Infinity War....

i've watched this several times and i still can't decide if i think it's real or not
0 x

The_Achiever
Starter

Postby The_Achiever » Thu May 03, 2018 4:31 am

Infinity war was awesome. A space adventure.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sat May 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Scarlett Johannsen looked like Kate McKinnon the entire movie so that was good
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sun May 06, 2018 12:03 am

17 Seconds wrote:

i've watched this several times and i still can't decide if i think it's real or not

it's definitely fake
0 x

Forgotmyoldlogin
Role Player

Postby Forgotmyoldlogin » Sun May 06, 2018 1:42 pm

scarey wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I have absolutely zero desire to see the X-Men folded into the MCU.

The X-Men and everyone else sharing a universe has always been awkward and bad in the comics, too.

Why is it that so many things you say are so very incorrect?

I actually agree with him. I like the X-Men best when they're off doing their own thing.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun May 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Infiniti War was great. They did a great job with the humor. The Spiderman thing at the end was really well done it showed how much of a kid he really is.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun May 06, 2018 5:07 pm

Forgotmyoldlogin wrote:
scarey wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I have absolutely zero desire to see the X-Men folded into the MCU.

The X-Men and everyone else sharing a universe has always been awkward and bad in the comics, too.

Why is it that so many things you say are so very incorrect?

I actually agree with him. I like the X-Men best when they're off doing their own thing.

They're basically just too big a "world" to work well with the rest of the Marvel Universe, both in the comics and in the movies. The worst thing that happened to the X-line of comics is how insanely popular they became, and how we ended up with dozens of titles starring hundreds of characters. Now the group that's supposed to be the "feared and hated outsiders" typically equals or dwarfs the rest of the MU. It's just too much to juggle.

I think a really bold shake-up in the comics that could potentially work in the right hands is splitting the X-characters off from the rest of the MU. The X-line/world is more than big enough to sustain itself, and then when you wanted to do crossover characters or storylines it could be more of an event, and it wouldn't feel like either side is being shoehorned in like it does now (to the point that big event stories seemingly look for ways to exclude either side minus a few characters because it's so unwieldy).

I mean, Marvel had the huge Avengers vs. X-Men even a few years ago, and the writers on it were a complete Murderer's Row: Brian Michael Bendis, Jason Aaron, Ed Brubaker, Jonathan Hickman and Matt Fraction. I'd argue there's never been a single collection of comic writers that great on a single series ever. And it was mediocre at BEST.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun May 06, 2018 8:09 pm

Mojo explained it really well. The Avengers/Spider-Man Marvel World is plenty big on its own. So is the X-men world. And the Inhumans. I loved Infinity War, but I don't think anyone came out of it thinking "You know what that movie needed? Triple the characters and three times as much narrative density packed in."

I can't think of any major stories for any of the groups that were improved by the addition of one of the other groups. Sometimes it doesn't hurt, like whatever put Wolverine in everything or let Beast be the generic friendly scientist guy because all the other scientists are evil or weird. But I can't think of any time it's been critical or a major benefit.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun May 06, 2018 8:53 pm

I think it'd be a really big task to suddenly have mutants in the MCU anyway. Do you reboot the X-Men franchise to do that? Have mutants somehow managed to live in hiding all this time? Where were they for big events like the attack on New York, or Infinity War?

Unless you're having some major reality change as a result of Avengers 4. Which is possible...but sounds clunky.
0 x

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Mon May 07, 2018 6:51 pm

I don't think too many characters is going to be an issue after Thanos's story line wraps up. I think the MCU will have to add the X-Men and/or Fantastic Four to sustain the current level of content.

I don't see any reason why they can't have a handful of older mutants coming out of the woodwork after being incognito like Logan, Xavier, and Magneto. Just boot up the original X-Men lineup and go from there. If the MCU goes that direction, I have confidence they'll do well with it
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 07, 2018 8:51 pm

A big part of it is that the whole point of the X-Men really just doesn't work when they're part of the Marvel Universe. The idea that people are SO much more freaked out over someone born with powers instead of, say, the Fantastic Four or the Avengers is pretty weak. The whole "oppressed minority" metaphor would be so much more effective if they didn't exist in a world swarming with tons and tons of people with superpowers.
1 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Mon May 07, 2018 9:08 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Mojo explained it really well. The Avengers/Spider-Man Marvel World is plenty big on its own. So is the X-men world. And the Inhumans. I loved Infinity War, but I don't think anyone came out of it thinking "You know what that movie needed? Triple the characters and three times as much narrative density packed in."

I can't think of any major stories for any of the groups that were improved by the addition of one of the other groups. Sometimes it doesn't hurt, like whatever put Wolverine in everything or let Beast be the generic friendly scientist guy because all the other scientists are evil or weird. But I can't think of any time it's been critical or a major benefit.

It was fun seeing Hulk beat the piss out of them in World War Hulk, but I more or less agree.

I do wish Marvel hadn't screwed up the Inhumans w that show, though. I thought they could have been a worthy edition to the MCU, and much like how Wakanda was hidden, it would have made sense the inhumans remained hidden all this time in Attilan, so it wouldn't have been a headscratcher when they suddenly appeared.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 07, 2018 9:10 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Mojo explained it really well. The Avengers/Spider-Man Marvel World is plenty big on its own. So is the X-men world. And the Inhumans. I loved Infinity War, but I don't think anyone came out of it thinking "You know what that movie needed? Triple the characters and three times as much narrative density packed in."

It was fun seeing Hulk beat the piss out of them in World War Hulk, but I more or less agree.

I do wish Marvel hadn't screwed up the Inhumans w that show, though. I thought they could have been a worthy edition to the MCU, and much like how Wakanda was hidden, it would have made sense the inhumans remained hidden all this time in Attilan, so it wouldn't have been a headscratcher when they suddenly appeared.

Yeah, they had originally announced that as a movie way, way back, and after they pulled off GotG so well I was REAL excited to see an Inhumans flick. It's a real shame how badly they tanked that whole idea.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon May 07, 2018 9:17 pm

The way the story goes is that Marvel TV and Marvel Studios have some kind of bad blood between them after some executive changes. So when Agents of Shield introduced Inhumans, the movie side didn't want to give the TV side the "win" of having introduced them first, so instead they decided not to do the movie, and relegated Inhumans to a TV thing only.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-the-marvel- ... 1825160402

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/09/ ... r-with-tv/
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 07, 2018 9:33 pm

Given how "eh" most of the TV shows have been at best, I'm kinda siding with the movie guys on this one.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon May 07, 2018 9:35 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Given how "eh" most of the TV shows have been at best, I'm kinda siding with the movie guys on this one.

Agents of Shield is actually really good. Slow first season, but it's been very strong since. Has covered some really wacky stuff, like LMD's and Ghost Rider.
0 x

Return to “Social”