Technology Chit-Chat

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Technology Chit-Chat

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:08 am

It's just a LOT easier, especially if that's where you're going to end up anyway, and the cost difference isn't typically that much.
1 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:22 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:It's just a LOT easier, especially if that's where you're going to end up anyway, and the cost difference isn't typically that much.

thanks. yeah 25 min of googling and i'm figuring out that's the same conclusion. i was just hoping there was something cheap and easy for now but i'm finding out that's apparently not the case. the TV is at her place and would eventually move to mine and so we'd have to change her getting digital cable to me getting digital cable, etc. it was just a pain in the ass i was hoping to avoid.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:44 am

do not upgrade to digital cable. stream, stream, stream.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:58 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:do not upgrade to digital cable. stream, stream, stream.

i'm not confident the high speed here (we both have the highest speed possible) is good enough, unfortunately. it already craps out more times than i'd like and there are times i have to rely on basic cable. and the 10 dollars or so a month upgrade to rent out an HDTV box (assuming that's all it is) will probably do the trick. I'd be ecstatic to find some simple way to just have this mammoth beast of a TV show horsefeathers ass quality TV for the few times we watch actual cable but I have to imagine 10 dollars a month (plus netflix, HBO go, Showtime, etc.) is a better bet than not paying that extra ten or so bucks a month and trying to find the channel lineup that we are already paying for with the included "free" cable (her rent or my HOA).
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:32 pm

weis21 wrote:i also like how i tried to provide long-winded rationale for why i don't just upgrade to digital cable (because that would seem like the thing to do in most situations) just so that sofa could respond simply "upgrade to digital cable"

I'm a romantic, so I have a system that is basically an over-the-air dvr. I have an HD HomeRun that converts over-the-air tv to digital. Then I have a QNAP NAS, which is basically a bare bones computer with a huge amount of harddrive space and doubles as my media server. I use Plex for my media server, and it also integrates really well with both my HD HomeRun and the local station info so recording stuff is easy. I did this before Plex had the capabilities to do this, and it was WAY involved and a pain in the ass. No longer the case. I also do Netflix and Amazon Prime, and combine that with the occasional internet black magic, digital cable is NOT needed. I just do stuff like that month to month if the Cubs are in the playoffs or if the Olympics are coming up or the like. I've mentioned Pluto TV here before for people that are just Jonesing for the channel surfing experience.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:37 pm

horsefeathers streaming, I'm holding onto my dinosaur system
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:40 pm

Dude says cable is included; he was just wondering if it was worth it to make standard cable work with his TV vs. upgrading to a digital package.

Otherwise I would have just said get a Roku stick.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:10 am

And speaking of Roku...

So I'm trying to use apps like Comedy Central and Adult Swim using my parents' Verizon Fios login info, but it somehow knows that I only have a Verizon Fios internet plan. If I choose Verizon as the provider, it doesn't even give me a chance to log in with either my credentials or my parents'; it just says it's looking up my account and then comes back saying I actually need a cable package. How the horsefeathers is it doing that if I'm not even logging in? If I go to Verizon in any browser, my login info isn't saved. I've nuked all of my browser histories. This seems like a pretty ridiculous privacy issue if my Verizon modem/router is somehow storing my login info.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:01 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Dude says cable is included; he was just wondering if it was worth it to make standard cable work with his TV vs. upgrading to a digital package.

Otherwise I would have just said get a Roku stick.

yeah, i appreciate all the feedback, but i have roku here and she has a fire stick there. we are both just paying for a product (basic cable) via rent/HOA fees and it sucks its the case it won't do any good with the new TV. I would love nothing more than to either stream or choose dish or whatever but I'm already paying for it so I'm kinda behind the 8 ball. but again, thanks to all - i'll probably just bite the bullet and get the HD box next week.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 am

Ah, sorry, didn't see that you had old tyme cable included. Hauppage might have some kind of coax signal to hdmi thingies that would work, but you'd have to check exactly what kind of signal you are getting with your cable.
1 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:10 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Ah, sorry, didn't see that you had old tyme cable included. Hauppage might have some kind of coax signal to hdmi thingies that would work, but you'd have to check exactly what kind of signal you are getting with your cable.

I doubt anybody will be in the situation I am but just in case I got this and it does the trick.

it's obviously cheap so i wasn't expecting much for the 33 bucks i spent but it displays regular ass picture cable at no additional price so whatever. i'll have to go back and re-name the channels it found (all of them so far as I can tell that were on the basic cable) because it's weird 19-0001, 21-005, etc. but once I do that (it has an pretty easy way to alter that info) and rename them to the original cable channels so i can find things it'll definitely be worth the little money i spent. it's got a tiny time display that is kind of nice i guess and apparently i can plug a USB and it'll record. unsure how that'll work because if you try to type a channel that isn't there you get a prompt that says "No such a channel!". it then gives you but one option, "Yes", so it feels like you are humiliated and embarrassed to have typed in something it didn't recognize. anyway, i'm leery the DVR functionality will be easy to navigate.
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:35 am

The cable (not include)
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:42 pm

I know a lot of people are freaked out by Boston Dynamics, but I welcome our new robot overlords.

2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:28 pm

Imagine how many D batteries they go through
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:03 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:18 am

https://gizmodo.com/facebook-offered-ad ... 1830190052

Honestly, guys, this shouldn’t be so hard.

With billions of dollars, thousands of employees, and some of the finest engineering minds on the planet, Facebook just can’t seem to figure out how to stop profiting from advertising categories that don’t comply with its advertising principles. And a new damning discovery was just made by The Intercept.

This week, the outlet attempted to promote two articles on Facebook and discovered a “detailed targeting” category for pushing ads to users who have an interest in “white genocide conspiracy theory.” This was a category that Facebook’s system had identified on its own, according to the company, and offered among its predefined suggestions for advertisers. Choosing it would serve an ad to a group it said consisted of 168,000 users.

While Facebook actively offering a convenient way to help spread a racist myth is shocking enough, The Intercept made it really easy for the social network to flag its ads and realize this isn’t a good way to use the platform. Ad campaigns of Facebook have to be approved, and this one was specifically named “White Supremacy — Test.” Still, the ads made it through the approval process.

Pretty sure this every FB board meeting:

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:13 am

Pretty cool article on machine learning and AI. It's really depressing that humans can no longer beat AI at chess, but at least we still reign supreme in StarCraft (the most demanding game mentally right now).
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Pretty cool article on machine learning and AI. It's really depressing that humans can no longer beat AI at chess, but at least we still reign supreme in StarCraft (the most demanding game mentally right now).

Not that it really changes the premise of the article, but they did nerf stockfish pretty significantly in that match against the AI. They took away its opening book and just let it play with brute calculation, which is not the way that stockfish was designed to work...still, the tricks that the AI did were pretty damn awesome.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

abmillis
All-Star

Postby abmillis » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Looking into getting a new desktop for work, doesn't need to be super fancy. Budget of about $500. Really only need the bare bones of word processing and web browsing. Need to have plenty of hard drive storage as well to transfer files, etc. from my old laptop. Suggestions?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:57 pm

abmillis wrote:Looking into getting a new desktop for work, doesn't need to be super fancy. Budget of about $500. Really only need the bare bones of word processing and web browsing. Need to have plenty of hard drive storage as well to transfer files, etc. from my old laptop. Suggestions?

I just bought a desktop off eBay to re-use as a NAS, it seems like in that price range there's a lot of good deals on business machines that are still plenty usable for everyday use. Search Dell Precision or Dell Optiplex, or even 'workstation' to get a sense of some other models that might work.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Microsoft is throwing in the towel with Edge and is building a new web browser for Windows 10, this time powered by Chromium.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsof ... windows-10
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:26 pm

I'm a bot out of the loop with browsers since getting out of the development world and more into the consulting/management gig, but one common thing I hear from IT professionals everywhere is how much they love edge

borat not gif
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:28 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I'm a bot out of the loop with browsers since getting out of the development world and more into the consulting/management gig, but one common thing I hear from IT professionals everywhere is how much they love edge

borat not gif

I'm so out of the loop that I don't even know what Edge is
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I'm a bot out of the loop

1 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Derwood wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I'm a bot out of the loop with browsers since getting out of the development world and more into the consulting/management gig, but one common thing I hear from IT professionals everywhere is how much they love edge

borat not gif

I'm so out of the loop that I don't even know what Edge is

It's when you keep getting really close to climaxing but then hold off while The Edge from U2 sits in the corner watching wrestling matches with WWE Superstar Edge, sponsored by Microsoft™.
7 x

Return to “Social”