Technology Chit-Chat

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Technology Chit-Chat

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:52 pm

If it's just files that need to be viewed, then your best bet is whatever has the most adoption from those people already. If you're on a corporate network that has Sharepoint, use that. If most people have Gmail accounts, just use Drive. If they all use Dropbox, go that route. When in doubt, I'd default to Drive since it'll work easily and if you don't know everyone's accounts intimately the odds are best that they have a Gmail account.
1 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:29 pm

This is probably a super dumb question and I think I already know that the answer is yes but wanted to double check. If I buy a gaming monitor and I just hook up a Roku or Firestick to it for TV watching purposes, that will work with no issues right? And downsides I'm not thinking of? It's just an extra bedroom TV and won't get much use.
0 x
I like beer.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:33 pm

mul21 wrote:This is probably a super dumb question and I think I already know that the answer is yes but wanted to double check. If I buy a gaming monitor and I just hook up a Roku or Firestick to it for TV watching purposes, that will work with no issues right? And downsides I'm not thinking of? It's just an extra bedroom TV and won't get much use.

If it's 100% streaming, you're fine. Only thing you won't be able to do is connect an OTA antenna, because there won't be a tuner in your monitor
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:34 pm

mul21 wrote:This is probably a super dumb question and I think I already know that the answer is yes but wanted to double check. If I buy a gaming monitor and I just hook up a Roku or Firestick to it for TV watching purposes, that will work with no issues right? And downsides I'm not thinking of? It's just an extra bedroom TV and won't get much use.

Does the monitor have built in speakers? If not that can be a pain(if not impossible) to get sound working with external speakers. I have a Chromecast plugged into a monitor on my desk for when I want to keep tabs on a game during the workday, but I don't have audio.
1 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Somewhat similar question (not to take away from that one). Overall very happy with YoutubeTV, especially the part where I found out my sister already had it and hadn't shared it with anybody else, so it's free. But I've noticed the Cubs games are at least a couple minutes behind normal cable. Not a huge deal for most games, but as we get towards the end of the season, and hopefully October, I'm picturing it being pretty annoying getting texts from friends (or following along on Twitter/here) 60 seconds before I see the action. If I buy one of those HD antenna hook ups, would that solve my problem for those games that are on the local channels (I'm in the Chicago area)?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:40 pm

squally1313 wrote:Somewhat similar question (not to take away from that one). Overall very happy with YoutubeTV, especially the part where I found out my sister already had it and hadn't shared it with anybody else, so it's free. But I've noticed the Cubs games are at least a couple minutes behind normal cable. Not a huge deal for most games, but as we get towards the end of the season, and hopefully October, I'm picturing it being pretty annoying getting texts from friends (or following along on Twitter/here) 60 seconds before I see the action. If I buy one of those HD antenna hook ups, would that solve my problem for those games that are on the local channels (I'm in the Chicago area)?

See above. An OTA antenna won't work without a TV tuner, which monitors don't have. Heck, some companies (I'm looking at you, Vizio) are now selling large models of "TV's" that aren't even TV's, just giant monitors
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:45 pm

Derwood wrote:
squally1313 wrote:Somewhat similar question (not to take away from that one). Overall very happy with YoutubeTV, especially the part where I found out my sister already had it and hadn't shared it with anybody else, so it's free. But I've noticed the Cubs games are at least a couple minutes behind normal cable. Not a huge deal for most games, but as we get towards the end of the season, and hopefully October, I'm picturing it being pretty annoying getting texts from friends (or following along on Twitter/here) 60 seconds before I see the action. If I buy one of those HD antenna hook ups, would that solve my problem for those games that are on the local channels (I'm in the Chicago area)?

See above. An OTA antenna won't work without a TV tuner, which monitors don't have. Heck, some companies (I'm looking at you, Vizio) are now selling large models of "TV's" that aren't even TV's, just giant monitors

Ok, not that similar of a question. This is for my normal TV. Dropped the cable part of the cable/internet package when I moved to a new place.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:46 pm

Do you notice the same lag if you use YouTube TV on different platforms? I've noticed that can make a difference and that Roku in particular can have a lag(I sometimes pull a game up on my phone when watching it at my parents' place just to be 2 pitches ahead). If you're able to hard-wire the internet connection to that device that could potentially help too, but if you've only ever used one way to watch the games, try experimenting a bit with phone, laptop, or any other smart platforms you have to make sure that isn't the root cause.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:48 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Ok, not that similar of a question. This is for my normal TV. Dropped the cable part of the cable/internet package when I moved to a new place.

Well, anything that advertises as a "TV" has to have a built-in tuner. If a monitor or screen doesn't have one, you can always buy an external one. I believe that Vizio has relented and their newest versions of screens once again have built-in tuners.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:50 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

Do you notice the same lag if you use YouTube TV on different platforms? I've noticed that can make a difference and that Roku in particular can have a lag(I sometimes pull a game up on my phone when watching it at my parents' place just to be 2 pitches ahead). If you're able to hard-wire the internet connection to that device that could potentially help too, but if you've only ever used one way to watch the games, try experimenting a bit with phone, laptop, or any other smart platforms you have to make sure that isn't the root cause.

Makes sense, and yeah, it's through a Roku on our wireless. Ideally I'd prefer watching on the big screen vs a laptop/phone, but I'll play around with our other devices. Looks like if it's a Roku/wireless issue, there's an ethernet connection that could help?
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:51 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
squally1313 wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Well, anything that advertises as a "TV" has to have a built-in tuner. If a monitor or screen doesn't have one, you can always buy an external one. I believe that Vizio has relented and their newest versions of screens once again have built-in tuners.

Got it, which leads me back to the original question. Would an OTA antenna eliminate the lag time I'm seeing currently, which is going through the wireless/Roku/YoutubeTv?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:51 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
squally1313 wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Vizio didn't put the word "TV" on the boxes of their non-tuner models, but it created a lot of confusion among the low-information buyers
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:52 pm

squally1313 wrote:

Makes sense, and yeah, it's through a Roku on our wireless. Ideally I'd prefer watching on the big screen vs a laptop/phone, but I'll play around with our other devices. Looks like if it's a Roku/wireless issue, there's an ethernet connection that could help?

If it's only Cubs games that's giving you that problem, you could potentially connect the laptop to the TV for those games. A less permanent solution than an antenna, but maybe a bit easier to pull off. Ethernet definitely can't hurt if the Roku has the port and it's not a huge pain to run the cable to it, if nothing else it'll ensure that your wireless on other devices doesn't suffer while you're doing high-bandwidth streaming.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:06 pm

squally1313 wrote:

If it's only Cubs games that's giving you that problem, you could potentially connect the laptop to the TV for those games. A less permanent solution than an antenna, but maybe a bit easier to pull off. Ethernet definitely can't hurt if the Roku has the port and it's not a huge pain to run the cable to it, if nothing else it'll ensure that your wireless on other devices doesn't suffer while you're doing high-bandwidth streaming.

I'm assuming whenever I watch YoutubeTV I'm a couple minutes behind, I just haven't really cared for anything besides Cubs games (though I guess we'll see how football goes). There's no buffering/picture quality issues and my internet stays fast on my phone/laptop while the TV is on, so it doesn't really bother me outside of getting "Baez!" texts as I'm watching him come up to the plate.

Why would an antenna be a 'less permanent solution'?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:18 pm

squally1313 wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

I'm assuming whenever I watch YoutubeTV I'm a couple minutes behind, I just haven't really cared for anything besides Cubs games (though I guess we'll see how football goes). There's no buffering/picture quality issues and my internet stays fast on my phone/laptop while the TV is on, so it doesn't really bother me outside of getting "Baez!" texts as I'm watching him come up to the plate.

Why would an antenna be a 'less permanent solution'?

Sorry, plugging in a laptop is less permanent/aesthetically pleasing than the antenna option, is what I meant.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:23 pm

I didn't even know there was a Blockbuster Video around still

https://roadtrippers.com/magazine/last-blockbuster/
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:35 pm

OK, I call BS; I know there's been multiple "last Blockbuster" articles over the years. IT'S NEVER REALLY DEAD.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:47 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:OK, I call BS; I know there's been multiple "last Blockbuster" articles over the years. IT'S NEVER REALLY DEAD.

Family Video has a Dread Pirate Roberts arrangement with them, when the Last Blockbuster closes they just remodel some other failing store into the new Last Blockbuster to try and give it a dead cat bounce.
4 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:55 pm

My co-worker in St. Louis informed me they actually just opened a new Family Video store near them. Forget barely surviving the age of STREAMING, this crack pot chain Family Video is finding expansion areas?

WTF?
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:56 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:My co-worker in St. Louis informed me they actually just opened a new Family Video store near them. Forget barely surviving the age of STREAMING, this crack pot chain Family Video is finding expansion areas?

WTF?

family video now slings cbd products at their stores:

https://www.familyvideo.com/
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:09 pm

cl smooth wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:My co-worker in St. Louis informed me they actually just opened a new Family Video store near them. Forget barely surviving the age of STREAMING, this crack pot chain Family Video is finding expansion areas?

WTF?

family video now slings cbd products at their stores:

https://www.familyvideo.com/

Yep, I was just going to post that. They built a new one here recently.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:36 pm

The fall of Blockbuster was largely regarded as the end of the video business, but the curtain hasn't closed on Family Video. While Keith Hoogland, the company's president, knows that one day the business he's known his whole life will fade out, for now, the decision to buy and not lease store spaces that was made decades earlier is keeping Family Video's doors open.

https://www.newsweek.com/blockbuster-ha ... ks-1035453
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Banedon wrote:
The fall of Blockbuster was largely regarded as the end of the video business, but the curtain hasn't closed on Family Video. While Keith Hoogland, the company's president, knows that one day the business he's known his whole life will fade out, for now, the decision to buy and not lease store spaces that was made decades earlier is keeping Family Video's doors open.

Boy, I initially read that as some kind of insane plan to just buy empty storefronts and then hoard them perpetually because I'm an idiot.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:42 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Boy, I initially read that as some kind of insane plan to just buy empty storefronts and then hoard them perpetually because I'm an idiot.

lol

The cliff notes version is that they buy the building and when business dips, they can shrink the store and lease out space to Marco's pizza or whatever other businesses to help them keep the doors open.
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:12 am

I just followed a link that a friend posted on Facebook, and the site didn't like my AdBlock being on. Fine, that's common.

But then I see a link at the bottom for "Block AdBlock". So I click it.

Someone made a Chrome extension that ....blocks AdBlock? Do people think that AdBlock is some virus or feature that isn't able to be easily turned off?
0 x

Return to “Social”