Technology Chit-Chat

Bertz
All-Star

Re: Technology Chit-Chat

Postby Bertz » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:40 pm

Andy wrote:
Bertz wrote:Yeah the fact that iPhone and Android don't play nicely with each other is the big drawback to switching. Every time someone on iPhone reacts to your message, you get a stupid "Joey Laughed at XXXXX.". And forget about videos. Whenever my wife texts me videos she took on her iPhone, they look like they were filmed on a horsefeathering flip phone.

Dear Lord, my mom does that reaction horsefeathers all the time and it drives me insane. And the video thing is so true too. I had to tell my mom and sister to use Facebook messenger to send me any videos of my various nieces and nephews (or my own kids).

Anyway, I second all the Pro-Android talk in here, the only thing I can imagine being better about Apple is it sounds like their privacy thing is legit. That's not a nothing concern, but if that doesn't bother you I don't know why you wouldn't go Android.

I'm doing a whole thing about it at work right now, and it really is. And Google's probably not gonna match until 2022.

PSA for anyone here: if you do want all the privacy stuff that Apple is promising make sure you use Safari as your browser. Most of the features are part of Safari, not inherent to your device.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:15 am

Use Brave as your Browser regardless of platform if you're worried about browsing security.

And DuckDuckGo as your search engine.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:All tech companies suck, but I'll continue to be iPhone as I'm a Mac user. I've been a willing hostage of Apple's walled garden for years. Mineaswell lean into it, I guess.

It makes total sense if you're a mac user. You already use weird tech!

Really though, it helps to have your devices play nicely with one another.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:47 pm

Banedon wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:All tech companies suck, but I'll continue to be iPhone as I'm a Mac user. I've been a willing hostage of Apple's walled garden for years. Mineaswell lean into it, I guess.

It makes total sense if you're a mac user. You already use weird tech!

Really though, it helps to have your devices play nicely with one another.

Yea I totally get it once you just commit to a platform. Unless you're super particular, both platforms are fine, but keeping everything in the family makes sense if you use 3 or more devices frequently. That's how my BIL is. Everything is Mac and it will just never make sense for him to leave that exclusively Mac user experience.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:17 pm

I'll never understand the desire to live without a backspace button. Makes no sense to me.
2 x
Spoiler: show

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:35 pm

Tim wrote:I'll never understand the desire to live without a backspace button. Makes no sense to me.

It's not so much a "desire" as a "isn't necessary to navigate"
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:39 pm

Tim wrote:I'll never understand the desire to live without a backspace button. Makes no sense to me.

Be more forward looking. Don't look back, Tim.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:41 pm

Derwood wrote:

Or so much as, "the fickle, dictatorial whim of a turtleneck-obsessed lunatic."
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:51 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I got my business-IT minor in college and one of the top professors in that department, railed against the computer mouse like half of his lecture time. Literally called the mouse evil.

This would fit here. No, professor dick-face, it isn't necessary to navigate your computer with a mouse, but it's certainly less desirable (even if keyboard shortcuts are cool and effective).
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:55 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I got my business-IT minor in college and one of the top professors in that department, railed against the computer mouse like half of his lecture time. Literally called the mouse evil.

This would fit here. No, professor dick-face, it isn't necessary to navigate your computer with a mouse, but it's certainly less desirable (even if keyboard shortcuts are cool and effective).

Exactly. Like, not having a back button obviously isn't some kind of crippling dealbreaker in terms of functionality...but there's no real reason to not have it.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:57 pm

what OS/machine doesn't have a backspace button?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:06 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:what OS/machine doesn't have a backspace button?

Correct me if it's changed, but the last time I used an iPhone for a while, the back option was in the upper left hand corner for only certain apps, otherwise it was a matter of attempting to use a swipe motion from the left side of the screen instead.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:12 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Correct me if it's changed, but the last time I used an iPhone for a while, the back option was in the upper left hand corner for only certain apps, otherwise it was a matter of attempting to use a swipe motion from the left side of the screen instead.

Ah, my brain was more thinking of keyboards than UX navigation. I just spot checked a handful of the apps I use all the time and they all have the upper left option implemented in a very similar way so I'm guessing that's the standard, but phone apps are such that I wouldn't doubt there's some high profile exceptions.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:13 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:attempting to use a swipe motion from the left side of the screen instead.

Yea, it's so not intuitive. I still don't understand now, whenever I use my wife's phone, exactly how to accomplish the user interface around stuff that is accomplished with a dedicated button in Android. And I used to do it apparently.
1 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:25 pm

Last I checked, mac keyboards are still missing one of the backspace / delete keys. Has this finally been corrected 30+ years later?
0 x
Spoiler: show

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:31 pm

Tim wrote:Last I checked, mac keyboards are still missing one of the backspace / delete keys. Has this finally been corrected 30+ years later?

Macs have a delete key that works like backspace. I'm sure it works like delete with a shortcut as well, but in the ~5 years since I started using a macbook I don't think I've missed having a separate forward facing delete key once.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Ah, my brain was more thinking of keyboards than UX navigation. I just spot checked a handful of the apps I use all the time and they all have the upper left option implemented in a very similar way so I'm guessing that's the standard, but phone apps are such that I wouldn't doubt there's some high profile exceptions.

Simply closing apps in the background always struck me as needlessly convoluted on an iPhone vs. an Android. Obviously it's not actually difficult, but I was always struck by how many of these little things built up to give me a sense of how much I had to adapt to the Apple ecosystem as opposed to to it being designed as intuitively as possible.
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Simply closing apps in the background always struck me as needlessly convoluted on an iPhone vs. an Android. Obviously it's not actually difficult, but I was always struck by how many of these little things built up to give me a sense of how much I had to adapt to the Apple ecosystem as opposed to to it being designed as intuitively as possible.

Pretty much. And I had this discussion with my wife a lot because she kept wanting to get her mom and iPhone because "it's more intuitive". Really what that meant though was she didn't know how exactly to help her on the Android (plus she had junky free phones that never worked well). That said, they got her an iPhone and it's worked out fine, but her and her sister are stuck with the "old lady tech troubleshooting" job instead of me, which is also fine by me. And it does work out nicely for her and her sister with sharing the photos and stuff through Apple. So it's not bad or anything necessarily... It's just Apple.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:03 pm

I don’t even know what I would use backspace for?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:05 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Simply closing apps in the background always struck me as needlessly convoluted on an iPhone vs. an Android. Obviously it's not actually difficult, but I was always struck by how many of these little things built up to give me a sense of how much I had to adapt to the Apple ecosystem as opposed to to it being designed as intuitively as possible.

Pretty much. And I had this discussion with my wife a lot because she kept wanting to get her mom and iPhone because "it's more intuitive". Really what that meant though was she didn't know how exactly to help her on the Android (plus she had junky free phones that never worked well). That said, they got her an iPhone and it's worked out fine, but her and her sister are stuck with the "old lady tech troubleshooting" job instead of me, which is also fine by me. And it does work out nicely for her and her sister with sharing the photos and stuff through Apple. So it's not bad or anything necessarily... It's just Apple.

Yeah, all the older relatives I've had who end up with Apple stuff always then end up in a spot where they can really only use Apple stuff because of how much all of those small differences build up. Now you're stuck getting them a new iPad every few years just because any other system will gather dust because "it's too different." You get your one shot!
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:12 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Yeah, all the older relatives I've had who end up with Apple stuff always then end up in a spot where they can really only use Apple stuff because of how much all of those small differences build up. Now you're stuck getting them a new iPad every few years just because any other system will gather dust because "it's too different." You get your one shot!

I'm trying to transition my mom over to Android/Chromebooks, just because of price and what she actually uses computers for. I think it might actually take.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:18 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Pretty much. And I had this discussion with my wife a lot because she kept wanting to get her mom and iPhone because "it's more intuitive". Really what that meant though was she didn't know how exactly to help her on the Android (plus she had junky free phones that never worked well). That said, they got her an iPhone and it's worked out fine, but her and her sister are stuck with the "old lady tech troubleshooting" job instead of me, which is also fine by me. And it does work out nicely for her and her sister with sharing the photos and stuff through Apple. So it's not bad or anything necessarily... It's just Apple.

I'm trying to transition my mom over to Android/Chromebooks, just because of price and what she actually uses computers for. I think it might actually take.

I think you could still transition an old technophobe off Apple back to Android, but.. They're old technophobes and nothing is going to be easy, even with enough muscle memory haha. You can go the cheaper route, but if they still want a smartphobe, and you're not going all the way back to just a flip phone, the quality does seem to drop off. Perhaps there's a good middle ground between "free smart phone" and flagship Samsung Galaxy type phone that is the sweet spot for those types of people. But even Apple does have a lower cost non-flagship entry now right?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:41 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I think you could still transition an old technophobe off Apple back to Android, but.. They're old technophobes and nothing is going to be easy, even with enough muscle memory haha. You can go the cheaper route, but if they still want a smartphobe, and you're not going all the way back to just a flip phone, the quality does seem to drop off. Perhaps there's a good middle ground between "free smart phone" and flagship Samsung Galaxy type phone that is the sweet spot for those types of people. But even Apple does have a lower cost non-flagship entry now right?

Apple does have the iPhone SE at a lower price point, granted that still starts at $400 so it's not gonna compete with the possibilities on the lower end of the Android market. That middle ground does exist for Android, but you have to do some work to find it with so many options and so many different ways a phone may be more/less valuable to a given person.

I'm pretty all in on the Apple ecosystem, mostly because of the privacy focus and interoperability, but I'm hitting one of those friction points myself. My work macbook is gonna be a bit more locked down in the future, so I'm overdue looking for a personal laptop myself. I do have an iPad that I use more often at home, but there's enough stuff that I need/want the desktop OS for(especially on iOS where extensibility is really limited) that I could use the additional machine, but I'm not really keen to pay macbook prices. I might just find a cheap deal that I can throw a linux OS on for those purposes, but that's likely to have some rough edges that might defeat the purpose.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:52 pm

Derwood wrote:I don’t even know what I would use backspace for?

You've never had the convenience, so it doesn't seem like something you need...I get that.

But once you have it, it would feel like something so simple that always should have been there.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:38 pm

Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:I don’t even know what I would use backspace for?

You've never had the convenience, so it doesn't seem like something you need...I get that.

But once you have it, it would feel like something so simple that always should have been there.

I'm asking what a common use of it is on Android?
0 x

Return to “Social”