Technology Chit-Chat

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: Technology Chit-Chat

Postby Derwood » Tue May 31, 2016 1:27 pm

has anyone installed the new Chrome? thoughts?
0 x

kujay
Superstar

Postby kujay » Tue May 31, 2016 1:46 pm

Brian707 wrote:
David wrote:So I don't know that I'll be in a position to buy when the time comes, but I'm pretty tempted to put a deposit down on a Tesla Model 3. It seems like it will destroy anything at its price point, especially after any incentives.

It's fully refundable, so worst case, I'm taking money out of my savings and giving them an interest free loan.

https://www.teslamotors.com/model3

Damn, I will need a new car within 18 months. These look sweet.

My wife is in this situation. Her car is starting to cost us a lot in repairs, but she wanted to hold out for the Model 3. But that's taking too long, so she decided the Chevy Bolt would be fine. And then she got more impatient and we went and drove a Volt this past weekend. I hated it -- way too small -- thankfully she did too.

The i3 was another option but it just looks so stupid. And the range isn't very good. So we're back to waiting for the Bolt, which will allegedly be available around the new year.

Best part was the horsefeathers at the Chevy dealership lying to her, saying the Bolt wouldn't be available another two years and trying to get her to drive a Malibu hybrid. Playing the short game when he should have been playing the long. I'll never go back there.
0 x
Just an average guy with exceptional hair. No more, no less.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:18 am

Derwood wrote:has anyone installed the new Chrome? thoughts?

It's really good at being nearly exactly the same as every other version of Chrome I've been using for the last several years.
0 x

Liam Neeson
All-Star

Postby Liam Neeson » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:51 pm

Just a heads up if you use Teamviewer at home or work, it has been compromised in some way. People are reporting someone getting unauthorized remote access to their PCs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/com ... e_denying/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/01 ... ch_report/
http://www.inquisitr.com/3156809/teamvi ... ers-claim/
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:21 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:Just a heads up if you use Teamviewer at home or work, it has been compromised in some way. People are reporting someone getting unauthorized remote access to their PCs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/com ... e_denying/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/01 ... ch_report/
http://www.inquisitr.com/3156809/teamvi ... ers-claim/

Now the teamviewer website is down. Whoopsie.
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:13 pm

Need some help on picking a new wi-fi modem for my dad. He's looking to spend no more than $125 and get something that's a combo wi-fi router and modem. Suggestions that can be purchased on Amazon preferably.
0 x
I like beer.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:54 pm

It is just a smidge out of your price range, and I have not heard about the performance of this model specifically, but the SURFboard models of modems consistently get great reviews(it's what my modem is): link
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:11 am

soccer10k wrote:So earlier, my TV turned off on its own. It's a Samsung and about 3-4 years old. I tried to turn it back on a couple times and it would attempt to turn on and then turn back off with the little red light on the front blinking. I unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in, and the second time I tried it after that, it turned on. Is this a sign my tv is crapping out or just some weird glitch?

And I'm pretty sure it died for good. Just turned off on its own again. I unplugged the power and plugged it back it, it would do a handful of fairly loud clicks or pops and then stop. No response at all from the remote.

So any advice for buying a new TV?

-What brands are good? We've had Samsungs and haven't had any problems before this. We're looking for 50-55 inches if that matters at all.
-Looks like everything is LED now and most are Smart TVs. Is the 4K really noticeable over the regular ones and is it worth the price?

Any help is welcome.

EDIT: How does this one look.
Last edited by soccer10k on Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:58 am

my last 2 have been Vizios, and I am very happy with both
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:24 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:my last 2 have been Vizios, and I am very happy with both

Ditto
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:30 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:my last 2 have been Vizios, and I am very happy with both

New Vizios have cut a ton of features to get the prices down. They no longer have tuners (so you can't do OTA antennas anymore, only cable boxes or streaming devices) and they no longer have on-board Smart apps (only Google Cast readiness, so you have to use a tablet or phone to stream the content)

Sony, Samsung and LG are the only brands that have full, on-board Smart apps anymore. Some mid-level brands have built in Roku.

I used to think 4K wasn't worth it, but now they've caught up on the media side, and you can get 4K blu-ray players and 4k movies in physical format. Netflix also streams a lot of content in 4k.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:37 pm

Derwood wrote:

New Vizios have cut a ton of features to get the prices down. They no longer have tuners (so you can't do OTA antennas anymore, only cable boxes or streaming devices) and they no longer have on-board Smart apps (only Google Cast readiness, so you have to use a tablet or phone to stream the content)

Very smart of them to cut out all the useless crap to get the price down.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:38 pm

Tim wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Very smart of them to cut out all the useless crap to get the price down.

They're basically just 55" monitors now. But its sorta false advertising to call them Smart TV's when they have the equivalent of a $30 Chromecast built in and that's it
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:42 pm

soccer10k wrote:
EDIT: How does this one look.

That one has been very popular at that price point. It's last year's model (this year is the "K" series), but the TV's don't change a lot year to year
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:57 pm

I really like the Samsung I got this year, but the app options are ultimately a load of crap; most of them are rarely updated, if ever, so they often end up being incredibly unreliable, if not unusable. Their version of the MLB TV app hasn't been updated since February of last year and basically craps out and you have to restart the feed about every 10 minutes.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:59 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I really like the Samsung I got this year, but the app options are ultimately a load of crap; most of them are rarely updated, if ever, so they often end up being incredibly unreliable, if not unusable. Their version of the MLB TV app hasn't been updated since February of last year and basically craps out and you have to restart the feed about every 10 minutes.

Which is why it is smarter to just bundle in cast capabilities
0 x
Spoiler: show

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm not too worried about the apps since we'll have an XBox 360 hooked up to the TV.

This Vizio looks nice.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:23 pm

I like the price. I got this one, but I paid $200 less than it's listed for now.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:26 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I really like the Samsung I got this year, but the app options are ultimately a load of crap; most of them are rarely updated, if ever, so they often end up being incredibly unreliable, if not unusable. Their version of the MLB TV app hasn't been updated since February of last year and basically craps out and you have to restart the feed about every 10 minutes.

My Samsung's MLB.TV app got to the point where it would...I guess you'd say freeze the TV (wouldn't turn it off, but the screen would go blank and I wouldn't be able to do anything for like 3 minutes), so I just stopped using it and moved my Roku into the room. The Roku picture is actually better, so that hasn't been the worst thing.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:28 pm

soccer10k wrote:I'm not too worried about the apps since we'll have an XBox 360 hooked up to the TV.

This Vizio looks nice.

I'm not a techie, but I'd definitely recommend going 4K. There are always decent deals floating around for 4Ks.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:45 pm

There's no need to get 4K unless you have a really big TV or sit really close. Im sure most of you have already seen this chart before.

If you are going to spend extra bucks on a TV, get an OLED.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:27 pm

Tim wrote:

Which is why it is smarter to just bundle in cast capabilities

I just don't get why these apps are essentially abandoned; it's not like it's some podunk system nobody is using. It's horsefeathering Samsung. My horsefeathers old backup Nook tablet has gotten more recent major app updates than my less than a year-old TV.

Ultimately it's fine for me, because I have no problem using cast or game system alternatives, but it sucks for, say, my parents or grandmother, who we bought smart TV's for expressly because the platform is even easier than the easy cast options. It's not like casts are hard to use, but any time you can bundle everything into a single system for certain demographics (and yes, sometimes just the step of adding something like Chromecast is "too much"), it's great.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:42 pm

I have no idea. My PS4 MLB.TV app seems to get monthly updates. Not sure why those don't push to the Smart TV's as well
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:26 pm

Derwood wrote:

Sony, Samsung and LG are the only brands that have full, on-board Smart apps anymore. Some mid-level brands have built in Roku.

The latter sounds like a feature to me, especially since in a few Smart TVs they'll automatically connect to any WiFi they can and phone home with who knows what info. I'm not a tin foil hatter about data collection, but I appreciate the control over the device I bought. I'm still happy with the 32" Panasonic I got 5 years ago, but if I upgrade I'll definitely be purposefully avoiding TVs with Smart apps or built in WiFi.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:26 pm

0 x

Return to “Social”