Technology Chit-Chat

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: Technology Chit-Chat

Postby Banedon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:15 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
rocket wrote:my in-laws got an alexa, and it's pretty cool, but can anyone here tell me how quickly the novelty wore off so i can convince myself not to buy one?

I've been interested but didn't like it enough to pull the trigger but we got one as a gift. It's month 2 and the novelty is wearing down but I still like it quite a bit for music and kitchen timer help. If you're in house music system is top of line it's probably no use but it's hard to beat the convenience of tunes on command.

Everyone I know who has one and loves it has young kids who like to play with it

Kids love it. Almost to an annoying level.

My buddy has an Echo and I have a Google Home that I got as a gift. The Google Home doesn't have as many tie-in apps yet, and it's annoying that I can't change the trigger phrase, though hopefully that's coming. But I find the google home more useful. It's more conversational in it's abilities, and it's good at answering things it can easily pull up from google itself.

In general, I'm not a huge fan of amazon devices at this point though, so I admit I'm biased.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Yeah, Amazon got the head start with the Alexa, but Google Home is going to overtake it VERY soon.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:33 pm

The biggest complaint I've heard about the Echo (Alexa) is that after you ask it to play music, it stops responding to voice commands. I guess it has to shut off it's microphone while it's playing music to avoid a feedback loop? Either way, that's an annoying bug
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Derwood wrote:The biggest complaint I've heard about the Echo (Alexa) is that after you ask it to play music, it stops responding to voice commands. I guess it has to shut off it's microphone while it's playing music to avoid a feedback loop? Either way, that's an annoying bug

This isn't true at all.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:15 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:The biggest complaint I've heard about the Echo (Alexa) is that after you ask it to play music, it stops responding to voice commands. I guess it has to shut off it's microphone while it's playing music to avoid a feedback loop? Either way, that's an annoying bug

This isn't true at all.

Well then these people suck at technology I guess :lol:
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:09 pm

rocket wrote:my in-laws got an alexa, and it's pretty cool, but can anyone here tell me how quickly the novelty wore off so i can convince myself not to buy one?

https://qz.com/900195/amazons-alexa-isn ... otherwise/
1 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Anyone have any experience with Soundblocks? I'll admit I'm a sucker for the Daily Deals Deadspin puts up, but I saw this one and thought it seemed reasonable for what it provides.

https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB4551-D5-Smartcast-Sound-System/dp/B01G3STJTK?tag=kinjadeals-20&ascsubtag=0cf2aeb5d2ed2c6f885c01c6dfd8b1a652519c03&rawdata=%5Br%7Chttp%3A%2F%2Fdeadspin.com%2F%5Bt%7Clink%5Bp%7C1792252051%5Ba%7CB01G3STJTK%5Bau%7C5727177402741770316%5Bb%7Cdeals

Full disclosure, the biggest use I'd get out of it is probably listening to music through my TV (set up Spotify through the PS4)...not really a big movie guy.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Anyone have experience with Lenovo? I'm looking for a new laptop to replace my Dell. My wife has a Lenovo laptop and it seems nice but I haven't done much with it.

I was looking at this one specifically.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:34 pm

soccer10k wrote:Anyone have experience with Lenovo? I'm looking for a new laptop to replace my Dell. My wife has a Lenovo laptop and it seems nice but I haven't done much with it.

This customer review gives me pause:

The very large size is bulky and awkward. The exterior is all plastic, which gives it a cheap feeling and its flimsy. It's hard to open because there's no weight to the bottom half to hold it down while you lift the lid.

The right shift key is very small and located to the right of the the "up" arrow key. My pinky cannot even reach the shift key on the right side, which slows down my typing (my job requires fast, accurate typing for long periods of time). I keep hitting the arrow key. Who thought that tiny, far away shift key was a good idea?

The plastic casing has a rough edge right along the front that rubs your wrists raw. The casing is not one smooth piece like I'm used to, I have never seen a design like this.
It's a little slow booting up.

I liked the price and the internet seems fast enough. I just wish I could have tried it out before ordering, like a test drive. I would have, if the sales associate hadn't acted like he couldn't help me find what I needed.
0 x

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:22 am

soccer10k wrote:Anyone have experience with Lenovo? I'm looking for a new laptop to replace my Dell. My wife has a Lenovo laptop and it seems nice but I haven't done much with it.

I've had Thinkpads through work for several years. Owned a Thinkpad for home until last year. And I'm using a Yoga 900 now. Loved all of them.

Bought an Ideapad for my son for Xmas and it sucked. Had to ship it back, so I'm currently looking for other options and probably won't try the Ideapad again.
0 x

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:16 am

Tracer Bullet wrote:

I've had Thinkpads through work for several years. Owned a Thinkpad for home until last year. And I'm using a Yoga 900 now. Loved all of them.

Bought an Ideapad for my son for Xmas and it sucked. Had to ship it back, so I'm currently looking for other options and probably won't try the Ideapad again.

I have also used Thinkpads at work, and when my last laptop (a VAIO) died, I got one for my personal use. All rock solid, if not flashy.

I purchased an Ideapad for my daughter three years ago, and it has been very good, even with the toll a teenager takes on their tech. I increased the RAM and swapped out her HDD for an SSD, but just to boost the performance, not because it was necessary.
0 x

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:16 pm

XZero77 wrote:
Tracer Bullet wrote:

I have also used Thinkpads at work, and when my last laptop (a VAIO) died, I got one for my personal use. All rock solid, if not flashy.

I purchased an Ideapad for my daughter three years ago, and it has been very good, even with the toll a teenager takes on their tech. I increased the RAM and swapped out her HDD for an SSD, but just to boost the performance, not because it was necessary.

i may have just got a lemon

ETA - reading the reviews for the 710S, it sounds like there are a lot of lemons
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Probably apropos to nothing, but I've had my Echo for over a year and while I wouldn't say it's been world-changing, I find myself using it for various things more days than not. Convenient for music (and radio - I wake up and say, Alexa play 94.3 FM) and had a couple cool apps. Occasionally I'll use the "thunder storms" or "waves" for white noise when I wake up in the middle of the night and my mind is restless.

If anyone knows of particularly useful or fun Echo apps/add-ons, please feel free to share.

Doesn't sound like an option feasible for Logan, but I broke my second cheap Chromebook (don't fall asleep with a beverage, it'll end up spilling inexplicably on your keyboard...) and bought this one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-2-in-1 ... :212,loc:2

It's still cheap but slightly more expensive than what I had and could not be happier with it. Love flipping between "laptop" and "tablet". Picture is really clear and it works perfectly for what I need it (10% work, 90% NSB and general useless internet stuff). Just wanted to share in case someone was in the market for a cheap Chromebook. I love this Acer.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Just to think outside the box a bit, maybe a Windows tablet would work? Here's a current gen Surface tablet for $350: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Tablet-10-8-Inch-Windows/dp/B012DTDBI8

They have the fancy keyboard that makes it similar to a laptop that pushes you across $400, but any bluetooth keyboard should work fine.

I wound up finding one of the Lenovo Flip 2-in-1's on Woot. The Yoga 11, for like $300. Went ahead and pulled the trigger.

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:the image of you plunking down a giant gaming laptop around all those macbooks is hilarious to me

I've gotten many comments and funny looks, yes. Pretty much the only person in the building with a PC, it would seem.
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:30 pm

The Logan wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:the image of you plunking down a giant gaming laptop around all those macbooks is hilarious to me

I've gotten many comments and funny looks, yes. Pretty much the only person in the building with a PC, it would seem.

I know the feeling. There was about ~40 of us in my class for Architecture school. Out of those 40, only 2 of us used PC and I was one of them.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:01 pm

Splendid Splinter wrote:
The Logan wrote:

I know the feeling. There was about ~40 of us in my class for Architecture school. Out of those 40, only 2 of us used PC and I was one of them.

What school?
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:10 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Splendid Splinter wrote:
The Logan wrote:

What school?

Arkansas. Fay Jones School of Architecture
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:02 pm

has anyone here upgraded from a HDD to a SSD in a Macbook Pro? I've watched a bunch of videos, etc. about it, and though it LOOKS easy, I'm afraid I'm going to brick my laptop. Does Apple Store perform this service?
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Derwood wrote:has anyone here upgraded from a HDD to a SSD in a Macbook Pro? I've watched a bunch of videos, etc. about it, and though it LOOKS easy, I'm afraid I'm going to brick my laptop. Does Apple Store perform this service?

I've done it. it really is as easy as it looks.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:01 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Derwood wrote:has anyone here upgraded from a HDD to a SSD in a Macbook Pro? I've watched a bunch of videos, etc. about it, and though it LOOKS easy, I'm afraid I'm going to brick my laptop. Does Apple Store perform this service?

I'm not worried about the physical swap, it's the data transfer/reinstallation of Mac OS/etc. that worries me
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:47 am

Derwood wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:

I'm not worried about the physical swap, it's the data transfer/reinstallation of Mac OS/etc. that worries me

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/ ... ption.html

plug the new drive in, and use SuperDuper to copy everything. it's a breeze
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:13 pm

According to the WSJ, the next Iphone (whatever they call it) will use a USB-C connection for charging rather than a lightning connection.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-nex ... 1488260583
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:37 am

Anyone have a suggestion for a budgeting app for my phone? My obsessive nature needs to be able to record every purchase in RT. If it can sync to my accounts then all the better.
0 x

Liam Neeson
Starter

Postby Liam Neeson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:05 pm

NOLA wrote:Anyone have a suggestion for a budgeting app for my phone? My obsessive nature needs to be able to record every purchase in RT. If it can sync to my accounts then all the better.

https://www.mint.com/

https://www.youneedabudget.com/
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:07 pm

NOLA wrote:Anyone have a suggestion for a budgeting app for my phone? My obsessive nature needs to be able to record every purchase in RT. If it can sync to my accounts then all the better.

use wint

3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Return to “Social”