Postby Derwood » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Some big announcements from day 1 of the Apple developer conference

- iOS 11 coming soon, with peer-to-peer payments available via iMessage
- OS High Sierra coming with full VR Support
- Amazon Prime Video coming to AppleTV
- Apple Watch OS4 coming soon
- A Siri speaker is coming to rival the Echo/Google Home
- iMac Pro coming with insane computing power:
The iMac Pro is a matte gray 27-inch computer that Apple says is the most powerful Mac it's ever made. Starting at $4,999 for the basic configuration, the 5K machine will come with an 8-core, 10-core or 18-core Xeon processors. It can have up to 22 teraflops of graphics power. Apple says the machine is fast enough for real-time 3D rendering, code compiling and designing virtual reality content.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Technology Chit-Chat

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:00 am

2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:31 am

Need some a/v advice. I don't really have any idea what I'm doing, so I'd prefer if you talked to me like I was an idiot. Which I am.

For my living room entertainment setup, I used to have everything (cable box, bluray, etc) running into an audio receiver, with the receiver plugged into one of two hdmi ports on the tv.

I just moved into a new house with a new living room setup, and due to space constraints, a hatred for the nest of cords that usually lives behind my tv, and a desire to simplify my convoluted remote experience, I wanted to try to minimize my living room entertainment setup. I was planning on running a streaming device and an antenna into the tv and then using a soundbar with the audio outputs on the tv for sound that is better than the crappy tv speakers. But I just discovered that my stupid ass tv has absolutely no audio output ports (LG 49LF5400).

It seems like I could plug the streaming device (AirTV for Sling), into an HDMI In on a soundbar that has HDMI ports, and then run the soundbar into the HDMI in on the tv. Would this work?

Alternatively, the AirTV device has an optical audio out; would I be able to attach a soundbar to that? If so, I think the soundbar would only work with that device and anything running through the other tv inputs (coax, hdmi, etc) would use the TV speakers. Is this correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:53 am

CoolHandLuke wrote:Need some a/v advice. I don't really have any idea what I'm doing, so I'd prefer if you talked to me like I was an idiot. Which I am.

For my living room entertainment setup, I used to have everything (cable box, bluray, etc) running into an audio receiver, with the receiver plugged into one of two hdmi ports on the tv.

I just moved into a new house with a new living room setup, and due to space constraints, a hatred for the nest of cords that usually lives behind my tv, and a desire to simplify my convoluted remote experience, I wanted to try to minimize my living room entertainment setup. I was planning on running a streaming device and an antenna into the tv and then using a soundbar with the audio outputs on the tv for sound that is better than the crappy tv speakers. But I just discovered that my stupid ass tv has absolutely no audio output ports (LG 49LF5400).

It seems like I could plug the streaming device (AirTV for Sling), into an HDMI In on a soundbar that has HDMI ports, and then run the soundbar into the HDMI in on the tv. Would this work?

Alternatively, the AirTV device has an optical audio out; would I be able to attach a soundbar to that? If so, I think the soundbar would only work with that device and anything running through the other tv inputs (coax, hdmi, etc) would use the TV speakers. Is this correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm not a fan of any of your solutions. A little googling and I think this is your best solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETDTAP-Digital-Optical-Converter/dp/B005DIRI6I/ref=pd_cp_23_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DQWWH6YJYTDWKPSDE0K

Coaxial output to this box, and then optical cord from this box to the soundbar. Not really gonna help with the cord minimizing, but short of buying a new tv, probably your best solution.

I'm actually quite angry that there's no optical output on that tv.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:08 pm

The corners that tv manufacturers cut to offer budget models is astounding. Vizio cut out tuners, other brands cut hdmi ports, audio outs....now some "smart" tv's don't have any onboard software, just the equivalent of a Chromecast, forcing you to use one of your devices to stream content to the TV
0 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:47 pm

I was pretty angry as well, I just assumed that was something that TV's automatically had.

Would that device work even though the coax on the TV is an input?

Plugging a soundbar to the streaming device with an optical output would work, is this correct? Other devices connected straight to the TV would just be using the TV speakers and that would be the only drawback. With the state of entertainment these days, I rarely watch DVDs/Blu-rays anyways, so I could always switch the optical cord.

Thanks for the help and sorry for making you angry by enlightening you to the existence of garbage. Judging by my internet searching, this TV has angered a lot of people.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:43 pm

CoolHandLuke wrote:I was pretty angry as well, I just assumed that was something that TV's automatically had.

Would that device work even though the coax on the TV is an input?

Plugging a soundbar to the streaming device with an optical output would work, is this correct? Other devices connected straight to the TV would just be using the TV speakers and that would be the only drawback. With the state of entertainment these days, I rarely watch DVDs/Blu-rays anyways, so I could always switch the optical cord.

Thanks for the help and sorry for making you angry by enlightening you to the existence of garbage. Judging by my internet searching, this TV has angered a lot of people.

Coax is input/output. Think about your cable modem...you don't need one for input and one for output. Going streaming to the soundbar may work. Not sure if you'd have sync issues though.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:32 pm

Derwood wrote:The corners that tv manufacturers cut to offer budget models is astounding. Vizio cut out tuners, other brands cut hdmi ports, audio outs....now some "smart" tv's don't have any onboard software, just the equivalent of a Chromecast, forcing you to use one of your devices to stream content to the TV

Smart TV software is hog horsefeathers anyways. Spend the $80 or whatever and get an Amazon Fire TV, which is awesome.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Andy wrote:
Derwood wrote:The corners that tv manufacturers cut to offer budget models is astounding. Vizio cut out tuners, other brands cut hdmi ports, audio outs....now some "smart" tv's don't have any onboard software, just the equivalent of a Chromecast, forcing you to use one of your devices to stream content to the TV

Smart TV software is hog horsefeathers anyways. Spend the $80 or whatever and get an Amazon Fire TV, which is awesome.

Explain to me why you believe this to be better than other streaming devices. Roku for example.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:08 pm

Banedon wrote:
Andy wrote:

Explain to me why you believe this to be better than other streaming devices. Roku for example.

Rokus are fine (I have one of those as well), but my Fire TV buffers less despite being further away from my wireless router and I like its UI far more. That being said, a fair bit of this opinion stems from my use of PlayStation Vue, for which Roku's app is supreme garbage, so YMMV.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:14 pm

the fire tv is junk
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:47 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:the fire tv is junk

I mean, i assumed it was...cuz I hate both of the kindle fires that I own...but I hadn't used it, so I didn't want to presume.

I'm done with Amazon hardware.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:51 pm

Banedon wrote:

I mean, i assumed it was...cuz I hate both of the kindle fires that I own...but I hadn't used it, so I didn't want to presume.

I'm pretty happy with my kindle fire, especially now that whatever upgrade was made so you can watch videos through the inflight united app's entertainment option that you couldn't use before. It's a nice cheap little video watching device for me.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:58 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I'm pretty happy with my kindle fire, especially now that whatever upgrade was made so you can watch videos through the inflight united app's entertainment option that you couldn't use before. It's a nice cheap little video watching device for me.

For that purpose I could see it working ok. My 10yo son has one, and trying to manage the parental controls on it are a nightmare. And there are so many popular apps that aren't available on it.

It's accumulated frustration...and for the price that it is, it's probably case of me setting too high of a bar.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:57 pm

This is hilarious and amazingly not the Onion

http://www.cetusnews.com/life/Millennia ... Qu1DZ.html
2 x
Win it for Fred

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:06 pm

Carlos Villalobos, 21, who was selling tube-shaped digital antennas at a swap meet in San Diego recently, says customers often ask if his $20 to $25 products are legal. “They don’t trust me when I say that these are actually free local channels,” he says.

Well, considering the picture in the article shows you selling them right next to Kodi pirate boxes that are absolutely not legal in multiple ways, they're probably right to distrust you in particular.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:15 pm

UMFan83 wrote:This is hilarious and amazingly not the Onion

http://www.cetusnews.com/life/Millennia ... Qu1DZ.html

Holy crap that's a hilarious article.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:18 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Carlos Villalobos, 21, who was selling tube-shaped digital antennas at a swap meet in San Diego recently, says customers often ask if his $20 to $25 products are legal. “They don’t trust me when I say that these are actually free local channels,” he says.

Well, considering the picture in the article shows you selling them right next to Kodi pirate boxes that are absolutely not legal in multiple ways, they're probably right to distrust you in particular.

Actually, they are legal...by themselves...just like having a torrent client is legal. It's what you do with it that can be illegal.

http://www.devonlive.com/is-streaming-o ... story.html
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Banedon wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

Actually, they are legal...by themselves...just like having a torrent client is legal. It's what you do with it that can be illegal.

http://www.devonlive.com/is-streaming-o ... story.html

Right, having an Android TV box isn't illegal, neither is having Kodi pre-installed. But what these people do is sell them under the advertisement of FREE TV, MOVIES, AND SPORTS by preloading pirate add ons, which is not okay. The box also uses Kodi's name, which they are very vocally not okay with.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:48 pm

It's legal to:

- Jailbreak Fire sticks
- Install Kodi
- Customize Kodi with pirate apps
- Sell jailbroken/pirate app loaded Fire Stick

It's illegal to:

- Stream pirated media using the device

Somehow all the legal responsibility is on the end user, while nothing has been legislated to prevent the middle man from doing the jail breaking and reselling for 3-4x the original cost

There were Best Buy customers who bought 20-30 Fire Sticks per week and there was nothing that could be done about it.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:05 pm

So you're suggesting...what, exactly?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Derwood wrote:It's legal to:

- Sell jailbroken/pirate app loaded Fire Stick

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:11 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:So you're suggesting...what, exactly?

If he's suggesting making Fire Sticks illegal, I have to agree.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:17 pm

You can only buy Fire Sticks like super strong sinus medication and razors at the drugstore.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:27 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:So you're suggesting...what, exactly?

To go after the people openly selling them on Craigslist and Facebook rather than punish the end users? Or punish both?
0 x

Return to “Social”