Technology Chit-Chat

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Technology Chit-Chat

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:30 pm

That's a HUGELY slippery slope if you're going to that broadly legislate modded tech.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:That's a HUGELY slippery slope if you're going to that broadly legislate modded tech.

It doesn't have to be broadly legislated. It's not the modding, it's the pre-loading with pirating software. Sure, you could sell it with Kodi and instructions on how to load it yourself (again, pushing the illegality onto the buyer), but people are lazy and want their free horsefeathers from the second they plug it in.

There's virtually nothing they can do if I buy my own device, mod it myself, and use it. They can, however, target the people who have made a cottage industrt of selling hundreds of these devices a week (and are openly advertising it)
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:47 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:That's a HUGELY slippery slope if you're going to that broadly legislate modded tech.

It doesn't have to be broadly legislated. It's not the modding, it's the pre-loading with pirating software. Sure, you could sell it with Kodi and instructions on how to load it yourself (again, pushing the illegality onto the buyer), but people are lazy and want their free horsefeathers from the second they plug it in.

There's virtually nothing they can do if I buy my own device, mod it myself, and use it. They can, however, target the people who have made a cottage industrt of selling hundreds of these devices a week (and are openly advertising it)

Because most of the time the software can be, very legitimately, be argued that it COULD be used for something else. Sure, that's sometimes BS, but it reaches to the core of the issue; you start "banning" certain apps/program/software/code/etc., it invariably technically impacts far more than just the specific software you want banned.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Damn, this is crazy/fascinating:

http://gizmodo.com/a-diy-pharmaceutical ... 1796865404

As Mixael Laufer tells it, the vision came to him in El Salvador. Laufer was visiting Central America as a human rights envoy, touring a tiny, rural mountain town with the Marin County Peace and Justice Coalition. When he arrived at the town’s medical clinic, it had just run out of birth control.

“I thought to myself, ‘This is a country where there are there are methamphetamine and ecstasy labs everywhere. Birth control isn’t that much more complicated,’” Laufer told Gizmodo. “‘Why aren’t these people just making their own birth control?’”

This, it turned out, would be his life’s big “aha” moment, and the beginning of an obsession. The world is already rife with Walter Whites, cooking up highs at home. Laufer wondered why he couldn’t take the same approach to drugs that are legal.

Last fall, when the price of a two-pack of EpiPens ballooned to more than $600, Laufer published instructions for how to make a version of it for about $30, hacked together using needles, a syringe and an autoinjector for insulin readily available on the web. When he grabbed headlines amidst the EpiPen pricing scandal, the FDA issued a strongly worded warning against the use of his DIY version.

“It’s essential to remember that epinephrine auto-injectors are life-saving products, and it is critical that they are made to a high standard of quality so patients can rely on them to work safely and effectively,” an FDA spokesperson told Gizmodo.

In Laufer’s mind, though, the bigger threat is capitalism, and the lack of accessibility to healthcare that it can create. His revolution does not stop at cobbling together an off-brand epinephrine auto-injector from a few disparate parts you can order on the internet. His vision is something far grander—and more dangerous. Laufer wants to design an Easy Bake Oven for prescription drugs, and then offer anyone who wants to try their hand at life-or-death chemistry the instructions for how to build their own at home. The revolution will not take place in the streets, but in the kitchens of self-taught scientists seeking affordable prescription pills.

“This stuff,” he said, “should be no more difficult than Ikea furniture to put together.”
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Damn, this is crazy/fascinating:

“This stuff,” he said, “should be no more difficult than Ikea furniture to put together.”

Insert jokes about missing pieces, poor drilled holes, etc....

I love the idea...but man I get intimidated by doing some relatively easy home repairs...and the chances of those killing me is pretty low...most of the time.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:38 pm

Banedon wrote:

I love the idea...but man I get intimidated by doing some relatively easy home repairs...and the chances of those killing me is pretty low...most of the time.

It's a fantastic idea and makes you wonder how deep the lobbyist are in the Feds pockets. Why doesn't the fed simply create a set of rules that regulate the authors of the DYI recipes, and allow people their autonomy over the drug industry? It could be done. You'd be buying a regulated recipe
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:16 pm

The problem would be that selling the raw ingredients for legal drugs would also be selling the raw ingredients for illegal drugs (depending on how you combine them). Would the ingredients only be available via doctors prescription?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:38 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

It's a fantastic idea and makes you wonder how deep the lobbyist are in the Feds pockets. Why doesn't the fed simply create a set of rules that regulate the authors of the DYI recipes, and allow people their autonomy over the drug industry? It could be done. You'd be buying a regulated recipe

Sure that'll work. There won't be any random recipes available on the internet.

Let's just go ahead and deregulate everything. That never has repercussions.

What a stupid idea.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:31 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Sure that'll work. There won't be any random recipes available on the internet.

Let's just go ahead and deregulate everything. That never has repercussions.

What a stupid idea.

Stuff like this is literally the reason we have the FDA.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:50 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:15 pm

1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:35 pm

AOL Instant Messenger is shutting down after 20 years.

I guess it's safe for PHPBB to remove that from as a contact option in the user profile now.
1 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:54 pm

At my first newspaper job (small, failing shop) we all used AIM to communicate with each other in various different offices. If you needed to get an editor, chat them, chat the sports guys if you need something, chat the advertising people to sexually harass them, chat the print shop etc. It was so bizarre, but it was oddly effective since everyone used it for some reason. Plus the bonus was no phone calls.

So one day I casually mention to my boss (not tech inclined what.so.ever.) that there's an AIM app for smart phones. for some reason he demanded that all writers download the app and if you wrote a story at home or on the road, that you were to (for instance) write the story on your phone, copy and paste it into the AIM app and send it to him. He would then copy it out of aim and paste it into the word processor we used, edit it, then put it in the paper/on the web.

Listening to him explain why this process made sense (rather than just ... emailing the horsefeathering story like usual) was a religious experience.
1 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:10 am

Got a quick question to the TV/electronic guys on here. I'm moving to my new house this coming weekend so I've been looking to buy quite a few things. I got a good sized electronic budget as everything I have is at least 8 years old so I'm looking to update on almost everything and my old stuff will go to my guest bedrooms/office/etc... Looking at 55" 4k (HDR would be a bonus) and I've got it narrowed down to basically 3 choices...

Samsung UN55MU7000FXZA
LG 55UJ7700
Vizio M55-E0

Anybody have any info on these TVs on which to get? Now the Vizio is about $100 cheaper, but my budget on this TV was $900 although I could squeeze it up to a grand which I have to cut back somewhere else (2nd TV for my bedroom, soundbar (don't have one), blu ray or PS4, new tablet (broke mine a year ago), router, etc). Is there a better TV than those 3 in that price range?

Does the soundbar needs to be the same brand as the TV or no? What should I be looking for?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:23 am

My personal preference would be the exact order you listed those TV's (Samsung first, Vizio last)

Soundbar doesn't need to be the same brand (I have a Polk soundbar and a Samsung TV)
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:17 am

I agree that Samsung is better, but a Vizio ultimately is perfectly fine if saving money is the dealbreaker.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:16 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:I agree that Samsung is better, but a Vizio ultimately is perfectly fine if saving money is the dealbreaker.

Yeah, I have an M series, though slightly bigger, and it's a very good tv. In a vacuum the Samsung is probably better, but not so much that it's worth a lot more money.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:43 pm

The downside of the current Vizio's is that they have no tuners, so if you ever plan to go OTA for your local channels, you're SOL
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Derwood wrote:The downside of the current Vizio's is that they have no tuners, so if you ever plan to go OTA for your local channels, you're SOL

It's more hassle, but external tuners exist. I have one that's connected to my router so I can pull up local channels on my TV(via Android TV app), on any computer or phone, etc.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:27 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Derwood wrote:The downside of the current Vizio's is that they have no tuners, so if you ever plan to go OTA for your local channels, you're SOL

It's more hassle, but external tuners exist. I have one that's connected to my router so I can pull up local channels on my TV(via Android TV app), on any computer or phone, etc.

True that. And if you don't care about smart features, a Vizio is fine. Their smart features are a joke, but it's always better to go with an external smart device over anything a TV has built in
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:29 pm

If he wants an internal tuner and the Vizio only saves him $100, tops, I'd say just shell out for one of the better brands then.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:52 pm

Oh hell yes.

https://blog.google/products/assistant/ ... assistant/

Starting today, you can broadcast your voice from your Assistant on your phone or voice-activated speaker, like Google Home. So when you need to round up the family in the morning, just say “Ok Google, broadcast it’s time for school!” and your message will broadcast to all Assistant enabled speakers in your home.

For certain everyday things like waking up, dinnertime or settling down for bed, the Assistant can also send a playful message on your behalf. Just say “Ok Google, broadcast it’s dinner time” and a dinner bell will ring on all your Google Homes. Now you don't have to wear out your voice shouting up the stairs.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Banedon wrote:Oh hell yes.

Starting today, you can broadcast your voice from your Assistant on your phone or voice-activated speaker, like Google Home. So when you need to round up the family in the morning, just say “Ok Google, broadcast it’s time for school!” and your message will broadcast to all Assistant enabled speakers in your home.

For certain everyday things like waking up, dinnertime or settling down for bed, the Assistant can also send a playful message on your behalf. Just say “Ok Google, broadcast it’s dinner time” and a dinner bell will ring on all your Google Homes. Now you don't have to wear out your voice shouting up the stairs.

Psh, each room having a fax machine still seems like so much cooler.
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:Oh hell yes.

Yeah, Google home can't do ASCII art.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:55 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Yeah, Google home can't do ASCII art.

I ascii'd it about art and it answered just fine.
2 x

Return to “Social”