Technology Chit-Chat

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Technology Chit-Chat

Postby David » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:24 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:i guess that wasnt a question, the question is does that exist

One that you can use with a PC, and then remove and then use with a Mac? No, it doesn't. They use different file formats.

That's what I was afraid of. We have created this partnership with a local TV station, and for some reason they're being very anal about wanting to share large videos on hard drives instead of just letting me run over a flash drive. We all use macs and they all use PCs.

exFAT

http://lifehacker.com/5927185/use-the-e ... rive-again

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:28 pm

This is a handy guide for video related storage solutions for businesses from 2013, but it's still pretty relevant.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/blog/news/2013/0 ... ilmmakers/
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:45 am

Banedon wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:i guess that wasnt a question, the question is does that exist

One that you can use with a PC, and then remove and then use with a Mac? No, it doesn't. They use different file formats.

You big liar. Of course you can do it. I do it all the time between the office and home.
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:22 am

using a hard drive as a file exchange format seems like a bad idea but i guess i really don't know. how big are the files typically?
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:24 am

seanimal wrote:using a hard drive as a file exchange format seems like a bad idea but i guess i really don't know. how big are the files typically?

Probably nothing bigger than 8 gigs, though i guess in theory they could be larger. I'll probably just tell them to suck it and drag a flash drive up there, they were just being so adamant that we use an external
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:36 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Banedon wrote:

You big liar. Of course you can do it. I do it all the time between the office and home.

Yeah, I had no idea that exFAT was a thing.
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:41 am

this sounds like a scene from a single cam office show

imb: (opens door into dark room with video editing equipment) dave, here's the video from the segment today
dave: look man, you know we only transfer from hard drives
[imb bounces the thumb drive off of dave's forehead and it lands on the control desk]
dave: what the [bleep] man?!?
imb: seems hard enough
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:50 am

1 x

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:23 am

So Microsoft is ramping up their efforts to convert the entire world to Windows 10, and it is now appearing in the recommended updates section of Windows Update, and as such will be automatically downloaded (but not installed) by Win 7/8/8.1 users who have it enabled. Of course one can avoid this by changing their Windows Update settings.

I am pretty happy with Windows 7 on all my machines, but for those who have Windows 10, are there any compelling reasons to continue resisting Microsoft's increasingly aggressive advances?
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:17 pm

XZero77 wrote:So Microsoft is ramping up their efforts to convert the entire world to Windows 10, and it is now appearing in the recommended updates section of Windows Update, and as such will be automatically downloaded (but not installed) by Win 7/8/8.1 users who have it enabled. Of course one can avoid this by changing their Windows Update settings.

I am pretty happy with Windows 7 on all my machines, but for those who have Windows 10, are there any compelling reasons to continue resisting Microsoft's increasingly aggressive advances?

Windows 10 has been great, imo. I didn't get it till I built a whole new system though, so I didn't have to do an upgrade, or deal with any older hardware of it. But it's probably time to make the switch at this point.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:13 pm

I like Windows 10. I have it on my laptop. But then again, I didn't mind Windows 8 (which it came with) very much. I just never used the Start screen.

Have had no functional issues with it. Just know that it has a lot of big brother-y stuff going on (which you can disable - I did) if that type of thing bothers you. It's set to collect a lot of information.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:25 pm

David wrote:I like Windows 10. I have it on my laptop. But then again, I didn't mind Windows 8 (which it came with) very much. I just never used the Start screen.

Have had no functional issues with it. Just know that it has a lot of big brother-y stuff going on (which you can disable - I did) if that type of thing bothers you. It's set to collect a lot of information.

Yeah, I know it comes with more "getting to know you" (keyloggers and such) BS that you have to disable. And I detest Windows 8. I guess I'm more curious about how resource intensive it is, and if there are any noteworthy software compatibility issues that are still a problem.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:28 pm

XZero77 wrote:
David wrote:I like Windows 10. I have it on my laptop. But then again, I didn't mind Windows 8 (which it came with) very much. I just never used the Start screen.

Yeah, I know it comes with more "getting to know you" (keyloggers and such) BS that you have to disable. And I detest Windows 8. I guess I'm more curious about how resource intensive it is, and if there are any noteworthy software compatibility issues that are still a problem.

90% of my software usage is Chrome, so I haven't had any compatibility issues. It seems to run smoothly, but I'm not doing anything heavily resource intensive either. So I guess my advice is useless, lol.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:33 pm

XZero77 wrote:

I've had zero compatibility issues, but you can always run software in an older compatibility mode. I don't think it'll be an issue for you honestly. As far as resources, I haven't noticed it that being a problem at all. Reboots are faster, although that's partly (largely?) because I'm using an SSD for my OS now.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:38 pm

I went straight from 7 to 10 and I've really liked it. You need to make sure to limit the privacy invasions as much as possible, but that's easy enough. No software compatibility issues so far, but a few visual compatibility issues with older programs that are no longer updated, but that's worked around easily enough. Basically there's no real reason to stick with 7 over it.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:18 pm

Ive got a fairly old lap top (I think from 2009/10), and was also curious about the amount of resources it will use. My worry is that my poor lap top wont be able to handle any extra usage and really bog down, so Ive been avoiding upgrading from 7.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:20 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:Ive got a fairly old lap top (I think from 2009/10), and was also curious about the amount of resources it will use. My worry is that my poor lap top wont be able to handle any extra usage and really bog down, so Ive been avoiding upgrading from 7.

Probably wouldn't even do the update in the first place; it checks your system capabilities and if it can't handle 10 it just won't let you use the upgrade.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:21 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:Ive got a fairly old lap top (I think from 2009/10), and was also curious about the amount of resources it will use. My worry is that my poor lap top wont be able to handle any extra usage and really bog down, so Ive been avoiding upgrading from 7.

From what I've read, if a machine can handle Windows 7 or 8, it can handle 10.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:26 pm

David wrote:

10 is actually less intensive than 7 IIRC. I upgraded a couple of months ago and it's great. I only use Word and Firefox, really, but it's been better/faster than 7 was.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:33 pm

David wrote:

Not necessarily; I tried to update my parents' desktop and my dad's laptop, both about as old as what Thurman is talking about, and both were refused the upgrade. Like I said, the upgrade does a system check, and even if it could handle 10 at the start, if it's an old POS that will quickly be useless in the grand scheme of how this is MS' perpetual OS then it won't get the free upgrade.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:55 pm

My big beef with Windows 10 is that every time audio is played, the speakers or my headphones seem to max out. The interwebs has not led me to any sort of resolution on that yet.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:05 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:My big beef with Windows 10 is that every time audio is played, the speakers or my headphones seem to max out. The interwebs has not led me to any sort of resolution on that yet.

i have not had this problem. maybe a driver issue?
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:49 pm

David wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:My big beef with Windows 10 is that every time audio is played, the speakers or my headphones seem to max out. The interwebs has not led me to any sort of resolution on that yet.

That's my guess, but I can't find a different/better driver.
0 x

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:03 pm

I tried to update on an 2010 Lenovo when 10 was first launched and got denied. I eventually upgraded and it was fine. Machine actually ran better/faster after the move to 10.
0 x

dawson1989
Role Player

Postby dawson1989 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:45 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
David wrote:

That's my guess, but I can't find a different/better driver.

Go to your manufactors site and reinstall all sound related drivers. I avoided the update for a year on my wife's laptop but then it forced the update to 10. After it finished, all the drivers were missing. Luckily it was a touch screen so I was able to use that to install drivers. Only thing I couldn't get to work was a few sound things. After a few months Toshiba updated all their drivers. Uninstalling and reinstalling the sound ones fixed the issues.
0 x
YES! it's me

Return to “Social”