Technology Chit-Chat

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: Technology Chit-Chat

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Speaking of random acquisition predictions....

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-buying-targe ... 1821706743

Brick-and-mortar retail had a really bad year, with thousands of major chains shutting down stores. But Amazon, the company that many people blame for the retail apocalypse has been more eager than ever to build up its retail presence. As the world nervously awaits Jeff Bezos’ next big move, a prominent analyst predicts that Amazon will take over Target this year.

Gene Munster is a market analyst and founder of Loup Ventures. Munster is known for his decade-long bullishness on Apple’s stock. He tends to be right that it’ll go up, but he invariably overshoots by how much. He’s also the man you can thank for years of rumors that Apple is coming out with its own TV and most recently he’s been predicting an Apple car is coming in 2021. Still, his early optimism about the iPhone means the markets listen to him.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:47 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Maybe I'm being dense, but what benefit does buying Netflix provide to Apple? Netflix doesn't make money, and any attempt to restrict access to Netflix(to boost iDevice sales) would make that worse on top of being a PR nightmare.

They have more money than they know what to do with, part of it could be just using this repraitriated money for something, part could be just to add another subscription service to their “eco-system,” also would think acquiring them helps for any future plans of launching/expanding their own cable alternative.

Using the repatriated money makes some sense(although the idea that they'll reach a tipping point of cash reserves because of the tax law is specious), but Netflix being the target of that acquisition is what I struggle with. Any attempt they would have to use Netflix in a special/exclusive way makes Netflix's lack of profitability worse. Maybe I just lack imagination on the benefits of a hardware company having a streaming service, the closest right now is Google/Youtube TV and that's pretty new on both fronts.

I think the mistake there is to think of Apple as a hardware company
0 x
Spoiler: show

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:42 pm

Tim wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:They have more money than they know what to do with, part of it could be just using this repraitriated money for something, part could be just to add another subscription service to their “eco-system,” also would think acquiring them helps for any future plans of launching/expanding their own cable alternative.

Using the repatriated money makes some sense(although the idea that they'll reach a tipping point of cash reserves because of the tax law is specious), but Netflix being the target of that acquisition is what I struggle with. Any attempt they would have to use Netflix in a special/exclusive way makes Netflix's lack of profitability worse. Maybe I just lack imagination on the benefits of a hardware company having a streaming service, the closest right now is Google/Youtube TV and that's pretty new on both fronts.

I think the mistake there is to think of Apple as a hardware company

That is where they make their money, but even if we take this as them wanting to get into digital services in a greater way, Netflix is possibly the most expensive option, is losing more than a little money, and doesn't help make their existing products better unless they want Netflix to lose even more money.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Netflix doesn't make money

They make a billion dollars month in recurring subscription fees and they don't make money... how?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:23 pm

The Logan wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Netflix doesn't make money

They make a billion dollars month in recurring subscription fees and they don't make money... how?

They have a ton of costs:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/406290 ... eal-profit
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:52 am

SpongeWorthy wrote:I hate everyone in this article

Unfiltered Fervor: The Rush to Get Off the Water Grid https://nyti.ms/2EeITEa

OF COURSE this involves the horsefeathering Juicero asshat. OF COURSE.

horsefeathers, you aren't kidding with how infuriating everyone in that article is; these idiots are right up there with anti-vax types in terms of willfully and pointlessly spitting in the face of flat out MIRACLES OF SCIENCE AND HUMAN DEVELOPMENT. Hey, you know what what WAY too many people in the world still don't have regular access to? horsefeathering CLEAN WATER. Mmmm, yeah, that spring water tastes all good and natural...don't mind the parasites from the rotting animal corpse a few hundred yards upstream, you titanic regressive miscreants.
3 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:00 am

My favorite was the guy who said 'actually, the best water has a shelf life of 3 months' right below his picture:

You couldn't write satire that good.
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:02 am

https://www.twice.com/retailing/circuit ... t-ces-2018

This seems like.....a bad idea. Even if it's moderately successful, why the hell would they want to get back into the brick and mortar business
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:02 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
SpongeWorthy wrote:I hate everyone in this article

Unfiltered Fervor: The Rush to Get Off the Water Grid https://nyti.ms/2EeITEa

OF COURSE this involves the horsefeathering Juicero asshat. OF COURSE.

horsefeathers, you aren't kidding with how infuriating everyone in that article is; these idiots are right up there with anti-vax types in terms of willfully and pointlessly spitting in the face of flat out MIRACLES OF SCIENCE AND HUMAN DEVELOPMENT. Hey, you know what what WAY too many people in the world still don't have regular access to? horsefeathering CLEAN WATER. Mmmm, yeah, that spring water tastes all good and natural...don't mind the parasites from the rotting animal corpse a few hundred yards upstream, you titanic regressive miscreants.

I was thinking the same thing. Anyone who bellows "fluoride is a deadly toxic chemical" is not vaccinating their kids. The good news is, drinking untreated water, raw milk, etc. will eventually make these people sick and die and won't affect others. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the anti-vaxers
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:05 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:My favorite was the guy who said 'actually, the best water has a shelf life of 3 months' right below his picture:

The founder of Live Water, Mukhande Singh, started selling spring water from Opal Springs in Culver, Ore., three years ago, but it was a small local operation until this year. Marketing materials show Mr. Singh (né Christopher Sanborn) sitting naked and cross-legged on a hot spring, his long brown hair flowing over his chest.

horsefeathers off for horsefeathering ever
4 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:11 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:My favorite was the guy who said 'actually, the best water has a shelf life of 3 months' right below his picture:

Shelf life of three months, but it's best within one lunar cycle.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:42 am

I love the part about the Juicero dip horsefeathers having to sneak across private property at night to get to his favorite spring because it was otherwise cut off by landslides. This idiot has to trespass and risk a horsefeathering mountain falling on him just because he wants to drink dirty water.

And the long haired dude TOTALLY not only thinks fluroride is mind control juice, but that's its also some kind of birth control. The guy is literally General Ripper reborn in hippie form. horsefeathers me, this is ridiculous. I sincerely hope they all get matching cases of botulism and brain-eating amoeba.
6 x

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:17 am

CLUTCH Dr Strangelove reference
1 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:09 pm

I am 100% in for Sofa continuing to tear these idiots apart using obscure references and rage to get me through this Friday.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Would you settle for a terrible, terrible pun about how this is maybe the second most disgusting version of trickle down economics I've ever seen?
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Would you settle for a terrible, terrible pun about how this is maybe the send most disgusting version of trickle down economics I've ever seen?

2 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:12 pm

hdr is weird
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:02 pm

This is a really interesting article about the future of AI and digital assistants...

http://www.businessinsider.com/future-o ... hum-2018-1

I think predicting the future is always hard, but one thing Brad and I firmly believe is that the ultimate form of AI is a digital assistant —a digital assistant that really understands you, and with your permission knows everything about you.

Internally we use the words "alter ego" — really a second self. I think that a lot of AI capabilities will be developed in 20 years. There's already so much progress with reading and writing, and things like guiding people through solving math equations, and AI will be able to help us do a lot more.

Scary but cool stuff. And then they briefly touch on technology taking away unskilled jobs....and I start to understand why there's so many upset and scared people out there...

0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:41 pm

Thanks for posting that, Brandon. It's a quick, easy, persuasive chart to show my students when I'm asked, "Do I even really need a 4-year degree?" I shared it with some of my advising colleagues
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:52 am

Banedon wrote:This is a really interesting article about the future of AI and digital assistants...

http://www.businessinsider.com/future-o ... hum-2018-1

I think predicting the future is always hard, but one thing Brad and I firmly believe is that the ultimate form of AI is a digital assistant —a digital assistant that really understands you, and with your permission knows everything about you.

Internally we use the words "alter ego" — really a second self. I think that a lot of AI capabilities will be developed in 20 years. There's already so much progress with reading and writing, and things like guiding people through solving math equations, and AI will be able to help us do a lot more.

Scary but cool stuff. And then they briefly touch on technology taking away unskilled jobs....and I start to understand why there's so many upset and scared people out there...

I'm very worried about the future of automation and how many unskilled to low-skilled workers are going to start losing jobs in the coming decades. It's a looming crisis. Taxicab drivers, Semi-truck drivers, rideshare (Lyft and Uber) drivers, etc. will slowly all be replaced once self-driving technologies are up to snuff. All the coal miners that have lost their jobs and supported Trump? Well, this will be an even larger group of disgruntled low-skilled workers being replaced by technology. Automation is coming, and CEOs don't even deny how many people will lose jobs once the technology leads to cost-savings/greater profits.

I never thought the idea of UBI (Universal Basic Income) would ever catch on in this country, but I think it'll happen eventually once people start losing their jobs across a wide variety of fields. I always think back to that episode of the "The Twilight Zone" where the CEO replaces his workers with machines and then ultimately gets replaced by a robot as well. Great show and a great episode.

The episode is called "The Brain Center At Whipple’s" and aired all the way back in 1964.

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:12 am

Vonnegut's Player Piano was published in 1952. Same topic. Good book.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:47 am

Who will repair the robots that replace the low skilled human workers? Robots repairing robots?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:00 pm

cl smooth wrote:Who will repair the robots that replace the low skilled human workers? Robots repairing robots?

2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:42 pm

cl smooth wrote:Who will repair the robots that replace the low skilled human workers? Robots repairing robots?

its called a von neumann machine
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:19 pm

2 x

Return to “Social”