Technology Chit-Chat

squally1313
All-Star

Re: Technology Chit-Chat

Postby squally1313 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Potentially dumb question, but couldn't figure out how to google it.

My parents just moved into a new place, and the basement was wired for surround sound by the old owners...speakers in the walls, on the ceiling, etc. I'm pretty sure they had them all connected to a television, but all my parents really want is to be able to play their own music through the speakers. All the wires are still there, they just aren't connected to anything right now. Ideally, I think it'd be awesome if I could find something with bluetooth capability so they could link up their phone/spotify to the system. Does something like this exist, and if so, what is it?
0 x

MidoreX
All-Star

Postby MidoreX » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:05 pm

squally1313 wrote:Potentially dumb question, but couldn't figure out how to google it.

My parents just moved into a new place, and the basement was wired for surround sound by the old owners...speakers in the walls, on the ceiling, etc. I'm pretty sure they had them all connected to a television, but all my parents really want is to be able to play their own music through the speakers. All the wires are still there, they just aren't connected to anything right now. Ideally, I think it'd be awesome if I could find something with bluetooth capability so they could link up their phone/spotify to the system. Does something like this exist, and if so, what is it?

You'd just have to get some kind of receiver/amp to power the speakers... If they've already got an older one they can use, there are Bluetooth receivers that you can plug into one of the aux inputs. Otherwise I'm sure there are receivers on the market today with Bluetooth connectivity built in
1 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Something like this?

Receiver w/ Bluetooth
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:34 pm

weis21 wrote:Something like this?

Receiver w/ Bluetooth

Yeah, that would most likely work. When I tried screwing around on Amazon, I kept getting things in the $20 price range, but I think I was missing some key components. Thanks for the help!
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:40 pm

squally1313 wrote:

Receiver w/ Bluetooth

Yeah, that would most likely work. When I tried screwing around on Amazon, I kept getting things in the $20 price range, but I think I was missing some key components. Thanks for the help!

The $20 ones will receive the bluetooth signal and send it to a stereo to output. Good for adding bluetooth functionality to an older stereo.

If you're looking at an audio receiver, just make sure to do research. There's a huge range in sound quality, outputs, connections and features.
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:44 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I bought basically everyone i know an amazon echo dot for christmas because they were so absurdly cheap on sale, but then i was like oh horsefeathers i didnt get myself one. So I got one of the nicer ones for my kitchen ... and man this thing is cool. And my daughter loves it, even though she can't quite work the voice activation, she knows what to do. I constantly hear "LEXA WHEELS THE BUS" or "LEXA OLD MCDONALD." It's cute. Anyway I recommend one if they're still on sale and you don't have one.

It is a cool party trick to have your 4 year old request "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses, but 4 days after the event, Wham's "Last Christmas" is getting a touch old. Have to get her hooked on some new stuff.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:52 pm

Banedon wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

Receiver w/ Bluetooth

The $20 ones will receive the bluetooth signal and send it to a stereo to output. Good for adding bluetooth functionality to an older stereo.

If you're looking at an audio receiver, just make sure to do research. There's a huge range in sound quality, outputs, connections and features.

Thanks...do you like the one weis linked to? Given that it's not for me, and basically only needs to play Spotify, I don't think it needs to be anything high end.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:58 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Banedon wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

Thanks...do you like the one weis linked to? Given that it's not for me, and basically only needs to play Spotify, I don't think it needs to be anything high end.

A bit of googling looks like it's well reviewed as a budget receiver, yes.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:21 pm

Same.

I’ve had some Yamaha receivers in the past. If it’s just a basic model you’re looking for then it should do the trick.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:46 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:We bought a TCL a couple years back and most of our friends were so impressed by the quality/cost ratio that they all own TCL TVs now too.

treebird wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:hey derwood, what kind of feedback have you gotten about this tv from your store? best buy and amazon are the only two places that sell it

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p ... -2017-p607
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-cla ... Id=5878705

the reviews are sparkling and apparently it's been selling like crazy. pretty much everyone agrees that the performance/features are comparable to much more expensive sets. the main knock on it has been that the uniformity can be horrible if you get unlucky, leading to a lot of people exchanging them. also, tcl is still relatively new to the tv game.

i was actually just going to get a cheaper 4k tv (since i didn't think i would be able to get into the hdr game at the price range i was looking into), but i am very tempted to spend a little extra for this, because it sounds way better than the faux-HDR 50 inch samsung i was going to get for about 450.

my parents have that tv and love it.

cool, i bought it
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:04 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I bought basically everyone i know an amazon echo dot for christmas because they were so absurdly cheap on sale, but then i was like oh horsefeathers i didnt get myself one. So I got one of the nicer ones for my kitchen ... and man this thing is cool. And my daughter loves it, even though she can't quite work the voice activation, she knows what to do. I constantly hear "LEXA WHEELS THE BUS" or "LEXA OLD MCDONALD." It's cute. Anyway I recommend one if they're still on sale and you don't have one.

I still don’t really understand their purpose. even YouTube hasn’t helped me. like, what will it do for me that my phone won’t (hey, siri)?
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:14 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:

I still don’t really understand their purpose. even YouTube hasn’t helped me. like, what will it do for me that my phone won’t (hey, siri)?

i usually use mine to sync with my iphone and listen to spotify (i have a full sized echo, though) and will mostly say "Alexa, play CBS Sports Radio" and she will find a station (coincidentally it's an oklahoma station i think). it'll also do all the stuff that siri will do but I think does so much better in my experience.

it'll also do cool things like when i say "Alexa, play thunder storm sounds" and it'll do that on like a 5 hour loop.

there are a lot of apps, and i don't use a ton, but there's a lot i could probably add and enjoy if i get bored.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:46 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:

Obviously being a bluetooth speaker is the big one. It's probably also more useful in a family situation, where you have people that don't have a phone, or you want everyone to be able to control smart devices without having to set it up on everyone's phones.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:34 am

17 Seconds wrote:

how do i get a kid

horsefeathers if i know
0 x

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:47 pm

I hate everyone in this article

Unfiltered Fervor: The Rush to Get Off the Water Grid https://nyti.ms/2EeITEa
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:51 pm

17 Seconds wrote:

how do i get a kid
come inside
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:28 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

how do i get a kid
come inside

5 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:15 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:38 am

https://www.avclub.com/its-rumor-time-a ... 1821718650

Business Insider reported on a new rumor/bit of analysis/blatant patchwork of random guesses from the financial analysis community today, suggesting that 2018 might see two of the internet’s biggest companies merge together into yet another massive, multi-tentacled media blob. Specifically, Citi analysts Jim Suva and Asiya Merchant sent out a memo to clients back in December, suggesting that there’s a 40 percent chance that Apple will try to acquire Netflix—one of the largest independent companies still operating in the media sphere—at some point in 2018.

Mostly just speculation at this point (thankfully), but still...

0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:11 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:https://www.avclub.com/its-rumor-time-apple-might-be-thinking-about-buying-ne-1821718650

Business Insider reported on a new rumor/bit of analysis/blatant patchwork of random guesses from the financial analysis community today, suggesting that 2018 might see two of the internet’s biggest companies merge together into yet another massive, multi-tentacled media blob. Specifically, Citi analysts Jim Suva and Asiya Merchant sent out a memo to clients back in December, suggesting that there’s a 40 percent chance that Apple will try to acquire Netflix—one of the largest independent companies still operating in the media sphere—at some point in 2018.

Mostly just speculation at this point (thankfully), but still...

Man, I'd hate giving up Netflix like that.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:17 am

Maybe I'm being dense, but what benefit does buying Netflix provide to Apple? Netflix doesn't make money, and any attempt to restrict access to Netflix(to boost iDevice sales) would make that worse on top of being a PR nightmare.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:17 am

Well, Apple hasn't seemed like they've known what the horsefeathers they're doing for a little while now...
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:20 am

Apple execs could see the new house of cards season first
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:38 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Maybe I'm being dense, but what benefit does buying Netflix provide to Apple? Netflix doesn't make money, and any attempt to restrict access to Netflix(to boost iDevice sales) would make that worse on top of being a PR nightmare.

They have more money than they know what to do with, part of it could be just using this repraitriated money for something, part could be just to add another subscription service to their “eco-system,” also would think acquiring them helps for any future plans of launching/expanding their own cable alternative.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:46 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Maybe I'm being dense, but what benefit does buying Netflix provide to Apple? Netflix doesn't make money, and any attempt to restrict access to Netflix(to boost iDevice sales) would make that worse on top of being a PR nightmare.

They have more money than they know what to do with, part of it could be just using this repraitriated money for something, part could be just to add another subscription service to their “eco-system,” also would think acquiring them helps for any future plans of launching/expanding their own cable alternative.

Using the repatriated money makes some sense(although the idea that they'll reach a tipping point of cash reserves because of the tax law is specious), but Netflix being the target of that acquisition is what I struggle with. Any attempt they would have to use Netflix in a special/exclusive way makes Netflix's lack of profitability worse. Maybe I just lack imagination on the benefits of a hardware company having a streaming service, the closest right now is Google/Youtube TV and that's pretty new on both fronts.
0 x

Return to “Social”