Technology Chit-Chat

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Re: Technology Chit-Chat

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri May 01, 2020 10:17 pm

oh, wire. Back in the day, stereo and speaker companies would recommend lamp wire, they don't do that anymore. good cables are important but you don't need to spend $600 on a pair of AudioHose. Monoprice makes some good quality oxygen-free wire, I use it

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id= ... g7EALw_wcB
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Technology Chit-Chat

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat May 02, 2020 12:32 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:So my wife wants all in-wall or in-ceiling speakers. Looking at the Polk 255c-RT for my center and RC85i for my fronts. A friend suggested this setup along with in ceiling speakers for my rears because my couch will be placed several feet in front of the back wall. Does that sound good? He recommended some Klipsch speakers if I wanted to spend a little more, but likes the sound of the Polk ones if I want to be more budget friendly. Did not get any recommendation from him on sub or receiver, but he did say to spend the money on a quality receiver and can go a little cheaper on the speakers for now (Polk).

One last idea for you, if you like that Polk center, give accesories4less a shot. I’ve bought 5 speeks from them and I get exactly what I order

You might have to wait for them to get some models back in stock, but their prices are unbeatable:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a ... ach/1.html

If there is one thing in the audio world that buying factory refurbished makes a ton of sense, its speakers. Theres just not a lot going on inside of them to fail
1 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sat May 02, 2020 2:27 am

You guys are great. Thanks.

And by you guys, I mostly mean MN.
1 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sat May 02, 2020 10:06 pm

I have some other questions, if you don’t mind humoring me.

1. For my back/surround speakers in a 5.1 or 5.2 setup, they will be in-wall, correct? And a 7.1 or 7.2 I could add 2 in-ceiling speakers?

2. If I have my full set up in-wall and/or ceiling, where do I put the sub? Do I want to get an in-wall sub as well?

3. Any clever ideas on where to keep my receiver, assuming I don’t have a shelf/TV stand? Here is a link to a rough drawing of my basement.

https://imgur.com/gallery/aQSFSjH

There is a 2 foot walk through between the drywall and end of basement wall behind the wall to the left of the primary TV wall. I was thinking of building or buying a cabinet to store in there and having a door that can open up to access it. Does that sound like a good idea? Where do most people that don’t have an entertainment center/TV stand keep their receiver?

4. Any idea how quickly stuff comes back in stock on accessories4less? Is it generally days or like weeks/months? Obviously, it will vary, but generally speaking if I need something within 2 weeks or so, is there a decent chance that could happen ?
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat May 02, 2020 11:58 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:I have some other questions, if you don’t mind humoring me.

1. For my back/surround speakers in a 5.1 or 5.2 setup, they will be in-wall, correct? And a 7.1 or 7.2 I could add 2 in-ceiling speakers? I'd plan on 5.1 rears in the ceiling, 7.1 rear in the wall. you want the 5.1 (because they are more primary) closer to you

2. If I have my full set up in-wall and/or ceiling, where do I put the sub? Do I want to get an in-wall sub as well? up front, left or right of the screen. you don't need an inwall sub, you can use any that you like the looks of. if you like the cleanness of inwall, the go for it, but be careful of whether or not they are powered. a lot of in-wall subs require a separate amplifier

3. Any clever ideas on where to keep my receiver, assuming I don’t have a shelf/TV stand? Here is a link to a rough drawing of my basement. its nice to have it just right or left of the screen, the reason is your remote. when you adjust volume, you'll likely instinctively point the remote at the screen. if the receiver is behind you, that act of habit will annoy you although you will get used to it eventually. other then that, anywhere you want to route wires to willwork.

https://imgur.com/gallery/aQSFSjH

There is a 2 foot walk through between the drywall and end of basement wall behind the wall to the left of the primary TV wall. I was thinking of building or buying a cabinet to store in there and having a door that can open up to access it. Does that sound like a good idea? Where do most people that don’t have an entertainment center/TV stand keep their receiver? any type of cabinet. I use an old sewing machine table my wife loves, I hate. if you are crafty enough, your plan seems like it would work really well, but don't box it in too much because the receiver has to have air to cool off. give it a a good 6" of open-air around it and allow air to breathe into the cabinet space from someplace (front, side or back)

4. Any idea how quickly stuff comes back in stock on accessories4less? Is it generally days or like weeks/months? Obviously, it will vary, but generally speaking, if I need something within 2 weeks or so, is there a decent chance that could happen ? I waited for 1.5 months for a pair for focals to come back into stock, that's the really hard part of buying from them. I suppose you could call them and get an idea if/when they might have more coming in. I just waited them out since I had time, but on a popular company/product like Polk they will likely get some in sooner rahter then later. They are based in Florida.

btw, breaking in new speakers is fun. when new, they are very tight, and sound a bit "boxed in". what I mean by that is the music will sound like you are listening to someone on a phone call who is in a phone booth, no depth. But give it 50-100 hrs of listening, the speakers will open up and become really warm. You'll notice how good they really sound, but don't be disappointed at start. Give the speakers a good soundtrack to flex from, something with good highs, mids, bass. They make soundtracks for breaking in speakers, but I've never relied on it. I just start listening to them

eta: here is one such soundtrack

Last edited by minnesotacubsfan on Sun May 03, 2020 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Technology Chit-Chat

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun May 03, 2020 12:53 am

Also, if you are in budget crunch, buy the receiver, center, fronts and subs. Wire in the rears but don’t connect the wires to the reciever. You can do that for the fronts too. Just set everything up, make the holes for the in-walls, and wait accessories4less out. Just don’t connect the speaker wires to the receiver until they have a load (ie, a speaker on the other end to connect to)

You can run it on a 3.1 system for awhile and get s better deal on refurbs when they get in

All the hard work will be done and you can wait for a better speaker price
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sun May 03, 2020 2:54 am

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. This may be a dumb question but is there a difference between in ceiling and in wall? So I was likely going to go with the Polk 65 RT for the rears. So I can put those in the ceiling as well? And when I upgrade to 7.1, I should/can put the same 65 RT speakers in the rear? Or am I misunderstanding and I should get something else for the ceiling? Thanks again for helping me.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun May 03, 2020 3:58 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:Yeah that sounds like a good plan. This may be a dumb question but is there a difference between in ceiling and in wall? So I was likely going to go with the Polk 65 RT for the rears. So I can put those in the ceiling as well? And when I upgrade to 7.1, I should/can put the same 65 RT speakers in the rear? Or am I misunderstanding and I should get something else for the ceiling? Thanks again for helping me.

The thing I would worry about is how the speakers mount. If a manufacturer designs the speaker to be mounted in the wall and the mounting hardware is only designed for in-wall installation, it might not stay in the ceiling. That being said, this might be a really nice alternative to the ceiling-mounted version of that series, its a 3 way speaker of the same line as your center channel and fronts and has what amounts to a 7" sub, and its on sale

two links, same model

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_10770RT/P ... 70-RT.html
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sun May 03, 2020 7:33 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:Yeah that sounds like a good plan. This may be a dumb question but is there a difference between in ceiling and in wall? So I was likely going to go with the Polk 65 RT for the rears. So I can put those in the ceiling as well? And when I upgrade to 7.1, I should/can put the same 65 RT speakers in the rear? Or am I misunderstanding and I should get something else for the ceiling? Thanks again for helping me.

The thing I would worry about is how the speakers mount. If a manufacturer designs the speaker to be mounted in the wall and the mounting hardware is only designed for in-wall installation, it might not stay in the ceiling. That being said, this might be a really nice alternative to the ceiling-mounted version of that series, its a 3 way speaker of the same line as your center channel and fronts and has what amounts to a 7" sub, and its on sale

two links, same model

Nice. I was actually looking at those last night. I read some good reviews and that there aren’t many 3-way in ceiling speakers out there. At least not quality and budget-friendly. So I think I’ll pull the trigger on those. Accesories4less only has 1 left in stock. Would it be weird to buy 1 new from Crutchfield/Amazon and 1 refurb from accessories4less. Would I be able to hear any difference in sound with 1 refurbished and 1 brand new?
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun May 03, 2020 7:41 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

two links, same model

Nice. I was actually looking at those last night. I read some good reviews and that there aren’t many 3-way in ceiling speakers out there. At least not quality and budget-friendly. So I think I’ll pull the trigger on those. Accesories4less only has 1 left in stock. Would it be weird to buy 1 new from Crutchfield/Amazon and 1 refurb from accessories4less. Would I be able to hear any difference in sound with 1 refurbished and 1 brand new?

Some audio guys will tell you you need consecutive serial numbers on speakers so that production matches quality as much as possible. I only buy into that with my vintage stuff that was all handmade. Todays production line are pretty horsefeathering consistent, not as much worry about production quality.

I don’t think its weird to buy from multiple outfits, as long as you by from factory rep’d warehouses. Both crutchfield and A4L are polk factory certified resellers, so you should be fine.
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sun May 03, 2020 7:56 pm

Okay got it. And where should I place the in-ceiling speakers? Directly above? Slightly in front? Is it going to make a difference using them now with the fronts and center vs when I add the in-wall rears?
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun May 03, 2020 8:03 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:Okay got it. And where should I place the in-ceiling speakers? Directly above? Slightly in front? Is it going to make a difference using them now with the fronts and center vs when I add the in-wall rears?

follow the recommendations in your receiver set-up guide, but generally, you want the center channel directly below the screen, right and left fronts to the sides of the screen. 5.1 R & L rears above or beside the seating area at about 10-15 degrees behind the seating area. the sound should sound like it's coming from behind you, then to the side of you in a car chase seen for example. Lastly, the 7.1 R & L back speakers should mirror the front R & L speakers in placement, on the back wall.
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sun May 03, 2020 8:10 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:Okay got it. And where should I place the in-ceiling speakers? Directly above? Slightly in front? Is it going to make a difference using them now with the fronts and center vs when I add the in-wall rears?

follow the recommendations in your receiver set-up guide, but generally, you want the center channel directly below the screen, right and left fronts to the sides of the screen. 5.1 R & L rears above or beside the seating area at about 10-15 degrees behind the seating area. the sound should sound like it's coming from behind you, then to the side of you in a car chase seen for example. Lastly, the 7.1 R & L back speakers should mirror the front R & L speakers in placement, on the back wall.

Got it. I had it all down from various articles I read (such as the first Crutchfield link you directed me to) just wasn’t sure with using the in ceiling as surrounds in 5.1. Most articles I read direct you to use the sides or back wall. But that makes sense. Also didn’t realize there was a receiver set-up guide. Thanks for all your help again. Cheers
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun May 03, 2020 11:13 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Got it. I had it all down from various articles I read (such as the first Crutchfield link you directed me to) just wasn’t sure with using the in ceiling as surrounds in 5.1. Most articles I read direct you to use the sides or back wall. But that makes sense. Also didn’t realize there was a receiver set-up guide. Thanks for all your help again. Cheers

when you buy your receiver, it should come with a set-up guide/speaker placement recommendation sheet with the manual, warranty card, etc.. That's what I'm referring to. have fun!
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed May 06, 2020 12:57 am

So my main fridge/freezer just took a horsefeathers, so I have that going for me
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Wed May 06, 2020 5:38 am

I came into possession of a free Denon AVR 3311CI. Looks like its a 2011(?) model. Is this suitable to use for the short term or am I better off not even bothering? Looks like it has positive reviews but everything I’m seeing is 7-8+ years old.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Technology Chit-Chat

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed May 06, 2020 4:35 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:I came into possession of a free Denon AVR 3311CI. Looks like its a 2011(?) model. Is this suitable to use for the short term or am I better off not even bothering? Looks like it has positive reviews but everything I’m seeing is 7-8+ years old.

Yes, as long as its working it will work well, even for a longer period. Make sure you get the audyssey microphone, its used to help the receiver calibrate the speaker outputs. You could prolly find one on ebay if you had to, you can also use a Yamaha YPOA microphone if thats all you can find. Get the manual too

But, overall, thats a good receiver. No atmos, but solid dolby surround options, and 125 wpc (2chnl) is a nice sized amp. I’d go with it.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Technology Chit-Chat

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed May 06, 2020 4:47 pm

Reading up on that Denon, it has an HD FM tuner. Most newer receivers have dropped the HD feature because it never took off as a format (designed to compete with sirius/xm) but some stations still broadcast hd (like my fav station, kexp). Thats a really nice feature to have, HD FM is clear as a bell. You’ll need an antenna, obviously. My marantz has an HD tuner and I listen to it a lot.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed May 06, 2020 5:26 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:Reading up on that Denon, it has an HD FM tuner. Most newer receivers have dropped the HD feature because it never took off as a format (designed to compete with sirius/xm) but some stations still broadcast hd (like my fav station, kexp). Thats a really nice feature to have, HD FM is clear as a bell. You’ll need an antenna, obviously. My marantz has an HD tuner and I listen to it a lot.

Our local ESPN Radio channel does HD, which is more useful for when there are conflicting sporting events happening and you can choose which broadcast to listen to
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed May 06, 2020 6:24 pm

a couple of other minor things, that Denon doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth. It does have an Ethernet connection, however, which means you can connect it to your router with a standard Ethernet for things like Pandora. and if you wanted Bluetooth functionality (to play music from your phone through the receiver and super awesome polk speakers, for instance), I would just buy one of these and hook it into the AUX or "DOCK" r/l connection (RCA cables):

bluetooth reciever
Last edited by minnesotacubsfan on Wed May 06, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed May 06, 2020 6:39 pm

Derwood wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:Reading up on that Denon, it has an HD FM tuner. Most newer receivers have dropped the HD feature because it never took off as a format (designed to compete with sirius/xm) but some stations still broadcast hd (like my fav station, kexp). Thats a really nice feature to have, HD FM is clear as a bell. You’ll need an antenna, obviously. My marantz has an HD tuner and I listen to it a lot.

Our local ESPN Radio channel does HD, which is more useful for when there are conflicting sporting events happening and you can choose which broadcast to listen to

if you want an even more odd broadcasting signal, google "am stereo". talk about a failed format. It has some popularity in places like the Australian outback because AM radio waves travel farther then FM waves will. so, if we can picture truffle cruising somewhere between Alice Springs and Fitzroy Crossing in his stylin' Holden Commadore, he would be more likely to tun into an AM station then an FM station for that sweet sweet Flight of the Conchords "Business Time" groove

I hope stations stick with the hd format, its pretty nice.

eta: you can look up hd stations in your area here
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Technology Chit-Chat

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat May 09, 2020 2:05 am

Bummer, I was starting to have hope for our species:

“All this sounds amazing, right? So what’s the catch?
Well, the super hot plasma is so hot that it might melt anything that could contain it.”

https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... t-engines/

But honestly, what a cool idea
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sat May 09, 2020 9:42 pm

Delete this if illegal.

But I purchased a Simplisafe Pro Smart Wi-Fi Video Wired Doorbell back in March before moving into my house. Now that we’ve moved in, I go to hook it up and I find out that my current doorbell isn’t giving constant power and thus I can’t use this. It’s also well past the 14 days I had to return it buying through Google Shopping. I don’t feel like paying someone to rewire for it so looking to sell it and buy a battery powered video doorbell. I got it on a great sale for $98 taxes and shipping included. Currently sells for $169 plus tax through Simplisafe/Best Buy. PM me if interested.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Eufy sucks, and I was a fool to give them a try.

I'm looking for recommendations for:

1. Robot vacuum
2. Wireless outdoor security cameras
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:59 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Eufy sucks, and I was a fool to give them a try.

I'm looking for recommendations for:

1. Robot vacuum
2. Wireless outdoor security cameras

What went wrong with the Eufy products? I haven't used them for those 2 things, but they're well recommended and their sister company Anker is great for other consumer tech stuff. Again, no personal experience, but folks seem to speak fairly fondly of the Logitech Circle and Arlo system: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... ity-camera
0 x

Return to “Social”