podcast thread

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: podcast thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:45 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:EDIT: Looks like there's already a podcast called that.

Man, I know it's only two episodes, but I REALLY want to like this...but it's rough. They are not good hosts.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:45 am

there's just no organization. they said in the first episode that they didn't want to be researching things beforehand but they REALLY need to start doing so because episodes right now are just "i kinda remember this thing do you remember?" "i think...i think so?"

i'll give it a few more episodes because i love them both so much but this one is disappointing so far.

sidebar: my buddy and i got a wild hair up our asses and bought tickets to the Pee Cast Blast next month so we're gonna go spend a long weekend in LA and cap it off with way too many live podcasts in one day. Can't wait.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Butterscup wrote:there's just no organization. they said in the first episode that they didn't want to be researching things beforehand but they REALLY need to start doing so because episodes right now are just "i kinda remember this thing do you remember?" "i think...i think so?"

i'll give it a few more episodes because i love them both so much but this one is disappointing so far.

Yeah, I figured they'd pick a show for each episode and focus on it, but like you said they're just all over the place. They comes across more like characters from CBB who need an actual host to play off of.
0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Butterscup wrote:there's just no organization. they said in the first episode that they didn't want to be researching things beforehand but they REALLY need to start doing so because episodes right now are just "i kinda remember this thing do you remember?" "i think...i think so?"

sidebar: my buddy and i got a wild hair up our asses and bought tickets to the Pee Cast Blast next month so we're gonna go spend a long weekend in LA and cap it off with way too many live podcasts in one day. Can't wait.

that's so awesome that you're going! very jealous.

also, i was wary of raised by the 90s but it was worse than i expected. yuck.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:02 pm

It was a good sign when they said they forgot what they talked about in first episode.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:08 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:04 pm

do you have any questions for andy?

1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:22 pm

1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Man, I love these guys and their inexplicable love for this band. What a great day.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:10 pm

I've never listened to it because I have no interest in U2, though from what I hear they rarely seem to talk about U2? Should I check it out?

Womp it Up back today too. Great day.
1 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Butterscup wrote:I've never listened to it because I have no interest in U2, though from what I hear they rarely seem to talk about U2? Should I check it out?

listen to it in order from the beginning and you will have a great time. the todd glass ep has one of my favorite things that has ever happened on any podcast.
2 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:26 pm

treebird wrote:
Butterscup wrote:I've never listened to it because I have no interest in U2, though from what I hear they rarely seem to talk about U2? Should I check it out?

listen to it in order from the beginning and you will have a great time. the todd glass ep has one of my favorite things that has ever happened on any podcast.

HOLY horsefeathers I FORGOT ABOUT THIS
2 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:46 pm

BEHOLD:

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:58 am

You must

0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:59 am

treebird wrote:

only 4 episodes in and i just wanted to say thank you for making me listen to this stupidly amazing podcast.
2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Today, Marvel announced they’re partnering with Stitcher Audio to produce the scripted podcast writer Ben Percy described as a blend of programs like Serial, S-Town, True Detective, and Unforgiven. He said the show is meant specifically to pull audiences in as the characters slowly begin to piece together the elements of a larger mystery.

The Long Night will find two special agents investigating a series of gruesome murders taking place in Burns, a fictional Alaskan town. An amnesiac Wolverine (The Hobbit’s Richard Armitage) is the agents’ top suspect for the killings, but as they begin to dig into the town’s mysteries, they soon learn that all isn’t necessarily as it seems. According to Percy, The Long Night will borrow some narrative elements from popular murder mystery podcasts, but the story will also incorporate a number of themes more common to comic books to set itself apart. There will be murder, there will be cults, and there will be claws.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-is-makin ... 1821016307
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:49 pm

The Pee Cast Blast Sunday was just a fantastically fun time. Didn't think eight hours of live podcasts could just fly by like that but it really did - every show was fantastic.

- Playing Games w/Jimmy Pardo: only listened to the Scotty Auks episode just to get an idea of the structure and haven't listened to a ton of NNF so I wasn't totally familiar with Pardo but this was a great start to the day. Pardo had his announcer and a guitar player on stage and April Richardson as guest. They went about 30-35 minutes just riffing with each other and I totally forgot this was a game show podcast by the time Pardo said "ok let's get some contestants."

- Who Charted?: Horatio Sanz was the guest. I'm a very limited listener of this one but it translated well live. Kulap is an absolute joy. Howard Kremer is an insane person and I think he was doing an entirely different show - he was fantastic. Probably the weakest show of the day, but not a knock on it at all as it was really enjoyable all the way through.

- Hollywood Handbook: Admittedly I'm least familiar with this one out of the six. I've only listened to a couple episodes even though I know this one has a big following. Every time I listen to it I laugh like a maniac even though I have no idea what this show is about. Nothing about this live performance changed that - I still don't understand what this podcast actually is - but this one might have gotten the most laughs out of me within the hour of the show. Carl Tart was guest and of course fantastic. The entire episode was them talking about how getting ads for their show lately wasn't going well and they had people brought up on stage to give them things that they needed an advertisement for. It was really great and worth checking out on Stitcher Premium when it comes out. I'll be diving into the backlog of this one more in 2018.

- improv4humans: I've really become obsessed with this show over the last six months so other than CBB this was the one I was most excited for, and it didn't disappoint. Guests were Gabrus, Eugene Cordero and Mary Holland and they played so well off each other. Mary got some of the biggest laughs from the crowd on this one and watching Gabrus devolve into a more disgusting human being as the show progressed was fantastic. They only got 45 minutes unfortunately - would love to see this one live for 60-90 solid minutes some day.

- How Did This Get Made?: I went to LA with my wife and two of our best friends (college roommate and his fiance) - this is my college roommates favorite podcast so he was super hyped for this one. The movie they did was Valerian, which we all watched together a couple nights before this show. Total garbage movie, so we were excited to get their take on this. Unfortunately, June was out of the country shooting a movie so she couldn't be there, which was a bummer because we were really excited to see how exasperated she would be by this film. Fortunately, Jessica St. Clair stepped in as co-host, which was a treat, and Doug Benson was the other guest and great as well. It was really fun to be in a room with a bunch of people who had all seen this movie and shared that moment with everyone on stage. Zouks is so great and this was just a really strong show. They could've gone so much longer because this movie is inexplicably 7 hours long, but we still got somewhere between 1:15-1:30 or so.

Between HDTGM and CBB, Mike Hanford came out and did a 10-15 minute set which was enjoyable, though I would've preferred a John Lennon appearance on CBB instead.

- CBB: What can you say? Seeing this live had definitely become a bucket list item for me over the last few years so I'm really glad it happened. PFT came out first as Mike the Janitor and of course was fantastic. I could watch Scott and PFT interact just the two of them for hours upon hours. They have such great chemistry and know how to push each others buttons, it's a lot of fun to see it unfold live. After that we got Bone Queef and The Chief which got a huge pop and probably stole the show. Lapkus came out next as a new character, Waldo from Where's Waldo, which was funny but just basically become HoHo by the end. Mary Holland was the last to come out and she played Jennifer Spot. She was funny but it wasn't anything all that memorable and a little all over the place. Overall, not the greatest CBB in the history but still really solid and an absolute joy to see live. I just loved seeing all the characters interact and react to each other, especially PFT nearly falling off his stool laughing several times.

All in all, if this becomes an annual thing or if you ever get a chance to see any of these shows live, do it. It really is so fun getting to see these people I've listened to for hours and hours upon end do their thing in a live setting.
2 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:42 pm

Slate has a new Podcast called Slow Burn. It’s pretty good but it makes me wish Dan Carlin would give the topic a treatment. The episodes are brief and not detailed.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:00 pm

CubinNY wrote:Slate has a new Podcast called Slow Burn. It’s pretty good but it makes me wish Dan Carlin would give the topic a treatment. The episodes are brief and not detailed.

Yeah, I'd kill (well, at least maim) for a great Watergate podcast. This one is OK, but like you said, it's way too skimpy.
0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Butterscup wrote:The Pee Cast Blast Sunday was just a fantastically fun time. Didn't think eight hours of live podcasts could just fly by like that but it really did - every show was fantastic.

- Playing Games w/Jimmy Pardo: only listened to the Scotty Auks episode just to get an idea of the structure and haven't listened to a ton of NNF so I wasn't totally familiar with Pardo but this was a great start to the day. Pardo had his announcer and a guitar player on stage and April Richardson as guest. They went about 30-35 minutes just riffing with each other and I totally forgot this was a game show podcast by the time Pardo said "ok let's get some contestants."

- Who Charted?: Horatio Sanz was the guest. I'm a very limited listener of this one but it translated well live. Kulap is an absolute joy. Howard Kremer is an insane person and I think he was doing an entirely different show - he was fantastic. Probably the weakest show of the day, but not a knock on it at all as it was really enjoyable all the way through.

- Hollywood Handbook: Admittedly I'm least familiar with this one out of the six. I've only listened to a couple episodes even though I know this one has a big following. Every time I listen to it I laugh like a maniac even though I have no idea what this show is about. Nothing about this live performance changed that - I still don't understand what this podcast actually is - but this one might have gotten the most laughs out of me within the hour of the show. Carl Tart was guest and of course fantastic. The entire episode was them talking about how getting ads for their show lately wasn't going well and they had people brought up on stage to give them things that they needed an advertisement for. It was really great and worth checking out on Stitcher Premium when it comes out. I'll be diving into the backlog of this one more in 2018.

- improv4humans: I've really become obsessed with this show over the last six months so other than CBB this was the one I was most excited for, and it didn't disappoint. Guests were Gabrus, Eugene Cordero and Mary Holland and they played so well off each other. Mary got some of the biggest laughs from the crowd on this one and watching Gabrus devolve into a more disgusting human being as the show progressed was fantastic. They only got 45 minutes unfortunately - would love to see this one live for 60-90 solid minutes some day.

- How Did This Get Made?: I went to LA with my wife and two of our best friends (college roommate and his fiance) - this is my college roommates favorite podcast so he was super hyped for this one. The movie they did was Valerian, which we all watched together a couple nights before this show. Total garbage movie, so we were excited to get their take on this. Unfortunately, June was out of the country shooting a movie so she couldn't be there, which was a bummer because we were really excited to see how exasperated she would be by this film. Fortunately, Jessica St. Clair stepped in as co-host, which was a treat, and Doug Benson was the other guest and great as well. It was really fun to be in a room with a bunch of people who had all seen this movie and shared that moment with everyone on stage. Zouks is so great and this was just a really strong show. They could've gone so much longer because this movie is inexplicably 7 hours long, but we still got somewhere between 1:15-1:30 or so.

Between HDTGM and CBB, Mike Hanford came out and did a 10-15 minute set which was enjoyable, though I would've preferred a John Lennon appearance on CBB instead.

- CBB: What can you say? Seeing this live had definitely become a bucket list item for me over the last few years so I'm really glad it happened. PFT came out first as Mike the Janitor and of course was fantastic. I could watch Scott and PFT interact just the two of them for hours upon hours. They have such great chemistry and know how to push each others buttons, it's a lot of fun to see it unfold live. After that we got Bone Queef and The Chief which got a huge pop and probably stole the show. Lapkus came out next as a new character, Waldo from Where's Waldo, which was funny but just basically become HoHo by the end. Mary Holland was the last to come out and she played Jennifer Spot. She was funny but it wasn't anything all that memorable and a little all over the place. Overall, not the greatest CBB in the history but still really solid and an absolute joy to see live. I just loved seeing all the characters interact and react to each other, especially PFT nearly falling off his stool laughing several times.

All in all, if this becomes an annual thing or if you ever get a chance to see any of these shows live, do it. It really is so fun getting to see these people I've listened to for hours and hours upon end do their thing in a live setting.

god that sounds fun. i would really love to go to something like this some day.

also, chief and bone queef might be the guests I’d most hope to see at something like that.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Slate has a new Podcast called Slow Burn. It’s pretty good but it makes me wish Dan Carlin would give the topic a treatment. The episodes are brief and not detailed.

Yeah, I'd kill (well, at least maim) for a great Watergate podcast. This one is OK, but like you said, it's way too skimpy.

Aside from the slow burn nature of "Watergate", the parallels in Presidential behavior to Trump are scary.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:30 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:You must

1 x

Return to “Social”