This Thread is About Comics

seanimal
stats enthousiast

This Thread is About Comics

Postby seanimal » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:43 am

so umm kids still like teenage mutant ninja turtles, apparently. which is great! hopefully this new generation of tmnt fans gets introduced to frequent ass-kicking ninja turtle collaborator usagi yojimbo

also known as the most badass anthropomorphized ninja animal of all time. it's actually kind of crazy how long the comic series has run and with basically no drop off in quality. i've been re-reading some of the books that i have and have slowly started to acquire the ones that i don't have and it's all great to me

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: This Thread is About Comics

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:49 am

Loved that comic as a kid; that's cool that it's still around. Usually got dismissed because of the crossover stuff with the Turtles and all of the various "fighting mutant animal" indie also-rans in the 80's, but he really was his own thing. Essentially a badass Kurosawa samurai narrative that happened to feature anthropomorphic animals.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:43 am

Huh, I admit I totally thought he was just a TMNT thing.

But yeah, seanimal, TMNT is still a huge thing with a segment of kids. They're still making TMNT movies, they're still airing the old tv series...somewhere. One of my son's friends had a TMNT birthday party a couple years back. Admittedly, he moved on to new interests, as kids are apt to do, but it's still out there.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:03 pm

With Byron Allen?
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:34 pm

So it looks like DC is gonna relaunch again. Not a Flashpoint-style reboot, but starting issues back at #1 again.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:42 pm

Humble Bundle has a huge Image comics bundle right now...27 or so comics for around $20.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/getbooks

EDIT: All digital, btw. PDF, epub or cbz formats.
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:43 pm

wow, that's amazing. i hate reading comics on a screen but that's pretty tempting
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:01 pm

seanimal wrote:wow, that's amazing. i hate reading comics on a screen but that's pretty tempting

I read almost all my comics digitally now. But part of that is it lets me get really stupidly obsessive about organizing them, which weirdly I almost enjoy as much as actually reading them.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:19 pm

Banedon wrote:
seanimal wrote:wow, that's amazing. i hate reading comics on a screen but that's pretty tempting

I read almost all my comics digitally now. But part of that is it lets me get really stupidly obsessive about organizing them, which weirdly I almost enjoy as much as actually reading them.

Yeah, I had the digital jump last year. Basically was running out of room for the books. At first I thought it was going to suck, but if you have a decent-sized tablet it's great.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Yeah, I had the digital jump last year. Basically was running out of room for the books. At first I thought it was going to suck, but if you have a decent-sized tablet it's great.

I use Comicrack to manage all of it. In theory, you can use an app to sync up with your desktop/laptop, although I've found that piece is clunky. Might be because I was trying to use it on a kindle fire rather than a real android device though.

Anyway, there's tons of plugins for the windows application...things like scraping info from the Comicvine database, or automatically sorting and organizing folders comics by series, publisher, etc.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:43 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I use Comicrack to manage all of it. In theory, you can use an app to sync up with your desktop/laptop, although I've found that piece is clunky. Might be because I was trying to use it on a kindle fire rather than a real android device though.

Anyway, there's tons of plugins for the windows application...things like scraping info from the Comicvine database, or automatically sorting and organizing folders comics by series, publisher, etc.

Yeah, I would have killed to have all of these tools back in my collecting days. Now you can basically watch the value completely stagnate in real time!
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:33 am

I thought about getting a kindle fire strictly for comics. I have a paper white and it tries to get me to buy comic books based on my history but i don't want black and white when they're in color.

That's a hell of a deal though.
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:12 pm

yeah, i had to pass because i don't have a tablet that would provide a good enough experience for the digital versions. plus i would have ended up reading them on my computer and become the least productive person on earth. a kindle fire isn't a bad thought though, i'll chew on that. i could always root it too

anyway, anyone check out paper girls yet? i'm digging the hell out of it but not digging the hell out of waiting for the next issue to come out
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:15 pm

The Samsung tablets generally are the ones best rated to work with the various major comic apps out there. That's what I've ended up using and it works great.

I'm excited Nowhere Men is coming back. Between that and Manhattan Projects I want more comics about crazy super-scientists.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:20 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:The Samsung tablets generally are the ones best rated to work with the various major comic apps out there. That's what I've ended up using and it works great.

I'm excited Nowhere Men is coming back. Between that and Manhattan Projects I want more comics about crazy super-scientists.

Yeah, being a kindle fire owner, I wish I'd gone with something different. I really strongly dislike Amazon's "OS".
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:22 pm

It really is a POS. And rooting it sucks, too. Bricks way too easily.
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:27 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Loved that comic as a kid; that's cool that it's still around. Usually got dismissed because of the crossover stuff with the Turtles and all of the various "fighting mutant animal" indie also-rans in the 80's, but he really was his own thing. Essentially a badass Kurosawa samurai narrative that happened to feature anthropomorphic animals.

same. i was introduced to him by way of the tmnt crossover and loved the hell out of the character. i used to draw him and the tmnt wasting baddies pretty much throughout the first grade while ye ol teacher would be babbling on and on about whatever. the crazy thing is that i had completely forgotten about the details i just shared until a few weeks ago when i found a box of comics at my mom's house and it all came rushing back. i picked up the first two of the dark horse usagi yojimbo compilations and i'm just in awe of how good they are. the second volume has grasscutter, which is a truly awesome trade that tells a self-contained story while also highlighting the author's mastery of intersecting storylines, callbacks, and deep understanding of feudal japan
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:41 pm

seanimal wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Loved that comic as a kid; that's cool that it's still around. Usually got dismissed because of the crossover stuff with the Turtles and all of the various "fighting mutant animal" indie also-rans in the 80's, but he really was his own thing. Essentially a badass Kurosawa samurai narrative that happened to feature anthropomorphic animals.

same. i was introduced to him by way of the tmnt crossover and loved the hell out of the character. i used to draw him and the tmnt wasting baddies pretty much throughout the first grade while ye ol teacher would be babbling on and on about whatever. the crazy thing is that i had completely forgotten about the details i just shared until a few weeks ago when i found a box of comics at my mom's house and it all came rushing back. i picked up the first two of the dark horse usagi yojimbo compilations and i'm just in awe of how good they are. the second volume has grasscutter, which is a truly awesome trade that tells a self-contained story while also highlighting the author's mastery of intersecting storylines, callbacks, and deep understanding of feudal japan

Goes great with a heaping helping of Lone Wolf & Cub.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:55 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I'm excited Nowhere Men is coming back.

WHAT!?!? horsefeathers YESSSSSS!!!!
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:47 am

The Logan wrote:

WHAT!?!? [expletive] YESSSSSS!!!!

I just started reading that. Was the first thing out of that Image bundle that I opened up.
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:07 am

Banedon wrote:
The Logan wrote:

WHAT!?!? [expletive] YESSSSSS!!!!

I just started reading that. Was the first thing out of that Image bundle that I opened up.

Nice. I'll have to re-read the first part.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:46 am

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:05 am

Derwood wrote:http://kotaku.com/what-the-heck-is-dc-comics-doing-to-scooby-doo-1755672720

Man, most of the stuff looks dumb, but the Future Quest one could be fantastic, especially if Darwyn Cooke is actually involved.

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:14 pm

A new Justice League cartoon is coming to Cartoon Network, with Kevin Conroy as Batman again, and Mark Hamill as Joker.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/01/29 ... gue-action
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:30 pm

The Fastest Man Alive will meet the Girl of Steel on March 28, when The Flash will make an appearance on CBS’ Supergirl.
0 x

Return to “Social”