This Thread is About Comics

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: This Thread is About Comics

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:29 pm

Banedon wrote:
The Fastest Man Alive will meet the Girl of Steel on March 28, when The Flash will make an appearance on CBS’ Supergirl.

GET OUT OF THIS THREAD, YOU SCUM.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:24 am

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:08 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Yeah, I posted some of those creepy old FF comics before. They're a ton of fun to read, but the biggest knock against Stan Lee is he was a HORRIBLE writer of women. He loathed the idea of women fighting, so even when other creators came up with female superheroes he'd tie himself into knots to avoid showing them actually fighting anyone.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:25 pm

I thought after I posted it that it might've been posted before. Oh well.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:29 pm

LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

She was just constantly getting defeated or captured in those early comics. I mean, [expletive], she couldn't even deal with a damn dog:

I gotta think he fought Kirby tooth and nail when he came up with the idea of having the force field abilities, too.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:55 pm

Ok, someone recommend a Punisher storyline/graphic novel to read. I have very little experience with the character outside of that first terrible movie with Thomas Jane.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:01 pm

How about Brian regan, the quintessential comic's comic.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:50 pm

Banedon wrote:Ok, someone recommend a Punisher storyline/graphic novel to read. I have very little experience with the character outside of that first terrible movie with Thomas Jane.

He's not exactly a character with a lot of quality stories: you've basically got the Garth Ennis run at the very top, then the character's first mini-series and the first year or so of his regular series...then the Jason Aaron run...and not much else.

Start with Ennis' "Welcome Back Frank" and just work through all of his work on he series. It starts off in the "normal" Marvel Universe, but then switched over the Marvel's short-lived MAX line, which was supposed to be their version of DC's Vertigo mature readers line. With that era, Ennis' "Born" mini-series is probably the very best. Cap it off with Jason Aaron's run.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:13 pm

So I knew some of the Civil War highlights, but had never read it all. Wow...
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:00 pm

Read it. It's just seven books and it is completely worth it.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:03 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Read it. It's just seven books and it is completely worth it.

Marvel has it listed as 98 books.

http://marvel.com/comics/discover/114/c ... lete-event
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Banedon wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Read it. It's just seven books and it is completely worth it.

Marvel has it listed as 98 books.

http://marvel.com/comics/discover/114/c ... lete-event

That's what they do when there's a universe-wide event.

All their books during that period become "tie-ins." They are completely unnecessary to the story. It's a gimmick to sell more books. All of the actual story occurs in the seven primary books.

So like if you are a She-Hulk fan and you want to know exactly what's happening to She-Hulk through all the Civil War, then sure, you get the She-Hulk books. But if you aren't a She-Hulk fan, you might notice her show up in the background of one of the fights and not care at all what she does the rest of the time.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:34 pm

The comic was a Mark Millar-helmed pile of dog horsefeathers. Thankfully, the movie looks to be taking little from what he unleashed on the world.
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:23 pm

i'm not big on the superhero stuff. i used to be into the x-men and x-factor when i was a kid, particularly characters like wolverine, jean grey/phoenix, gambit, and havok. that stuff all feels overexposed and trampled right now, but i do plan on going through the frank miller wolverine stuff eventually. anyway, my point being, i'm not really sure what at marvel i would be interested in these days outside of the star wars stuff they're doing. i'll read black panther because of ta-nehisi coates, but i'm curious if anyone has any recommendations for any marvel things that are less fantastical (if there is such a thing)?

to give you an idea of what i'm into, my regulars list is pretty small:
1) paper girls (on a brief hiatus SADNESS EMOJI)
2) the star wars ones (darth vader, star wars, obi wan and anakin, etc.)
3) usagi yojimbo
4) weirdworld

i've read through the third trade of saga so i'll probably start picking that up once i'm caught up. i just finished akira which was way more amazing that i expected, and i had pretty high hopes. going to start working through lone wolf and cub collections having just picked up the first two from the library

anyway, recommend me things to look into if you can think of anything, marvel or otherwise
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:31 pm

seanimal wrote:i'm not big on the superhero stuff. i used to be into the x-men and x-factor when i was a kid, particularly characters like wolverine, jean grey/phoenix, gambit, and havok. that stuff all feels overexposed and trampled right now, but i do plan on going through the frank miller wolverine stuff eventually. anyway, my point being, i'm not really sure what at marvel i would be interested in these days outside of the star wars stuff they're doing. i'll read black panther because of ta-nehisi coates, but i'm curious if anyone has any recommendations for any marvel things that are less fantastical (if there is such a thing)?

3) usagi yojimbo
4) weirdworld

i've read through the third trade of saga so i'll probably start picking that up once i'm caught up. i just finished akira which was way more amazing that i expected, and i had pretty high hopes. going to start working through lone wolf and cub collections having just picked up the first two from the library

anyway, recommend me things to look into if you can think of anything, marvel or otherwise

I'd suggest you get away from Marvel and look at Image comics. They really have a ton of great comics that aren't superhero related. Saga, Sex Criminals, Thief of Thieves...I loved Alex + Ada personally. There's a ton more that I've heard great things about and haven't read, like The Wicked + The Divine and Southern Bastards.
0 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:06 pm

seanimal wrote:i'm not big on the superhero stuff. i used to be into the x-men and x-factor when i was a kid, particularly characters like wolverine, jean grey/phoenix, gambit, and havok. that stuff all feels overexposed and trampled right now, but i do plan on going through the frank miller wolverine stuff eventually. anyway, my point being, i'm not really sure what at marvel i would be interested in these days outside of the star wars stuff they're doing. i'll read black panther because of ta-nehisi coates, but i'm curious if anyone has any recommendations for any marvel things that are less fantastical (if there is such a thing)?

3) usagi yojimbo
4) weirdworld

If you want Marvel, check out Vision.
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:36 pm

Banedon wrote:
Spoiler: show

3) usagi yojimbo
4) weirdworld

I'd suggest you get away from Marvel and look at Image comics. They really have a ton of great comics that aren't superhero related. Saga, Sex Criminals, Thief of Thieves...I loved Alex + Ada personally. There's a ton more that I've heard great things about and haven't read, like The Wicked + The Divine and Southern Bastards.

yeah, image seems like a great publisher. i've actually been meaning to check out southern bastards. i've heard of the wicked + the devine but am yet to talk to anyone who's reading it. i'll look into those other ones, thx sir
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:47 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:

3) usagi yojimbo
4) weirdworld

If you want Marvel, check out Vision.

i almost pulled the trigger on that one but didn't for some reason that was probably fickle. i think mike del mundo might has done some covers for a few of those

btw, mike del mundo is awesome. check out his variants for star wars #1 and vader #1:

he's also done tons of other covers
1 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:54 pm

So my roommate discovered, thanks to Comic Book Men, that the first appearance of Harley Quinn in a comic book is selling for a bonkers amount of money. Because of this he looked through his collection and realized he had it. Its pristine. If he were to get it graded itd have to be a 9.8 or higher, its flawless. And those sell for more than $1000 right now on eBay. He was kinda speechless because it was such a nothing issue he didn't even know he had it.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:07 pm

Going back to sean's requests, the superhero title I tend to suggest for comic fans who aren't usually in to superheroes is Invincible.

Some other fun stuff to dig back to are James Robinson's Starman and Grant Morrison's run on JLA. Marvel also recently put Alan Moore's Miracleman back into print (it's a fantastic read, but unlike the others, NOT fun).
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:50 pm

Mojo will hate me for putting DC TV news here but screw it. Legends of Tomorrow is having a "surprise beloved DC character" appear in the finale and cast him...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/31/le ... s-season-2

My guess:

I think it's going to be Booster Gold
0 x

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:07 pm

Banedon wrote:Mojo will hate me for putting DC TV news here but screw it. Legends of Tomorrow is having a "surprise beloved DC character" appear in the finale and cast him...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/31/le ... s-season-2

My guess:

I think it's going to be Booster Gold

► Show Spoiler
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:23 pm

OK so yesterday I read my first graphic novel, I guess. I had some time to kill and was in a Barnes & Noble and remembered reading that the next Wolverine movie was going to be based off of Old Man Logan. So I found that, a chair, and started reading to get a feel for it, decide if I wanted to buy it. Thirty bucks. Damn. More than I'd want to spend, but whatever, I'm open to it. I ended up finishing the thing in about a half hour, maybe? Here are some thoughts and questions

It seemed like it jumped around a lot, like, big things happened but they were hardly explained or covered more. Is that typical of these narratives? Wolverine and Hawkeye are being chased by a dinosaur/venom hybrid, and then suddenly they are teleported to Emma Frost? Who tells Hawkeye she knows what he has, yet does nothing to help them in their cause that I can remember. Wolverine tells Hawkeye about how he killed all of the X-Men because of a mindtrick by a villain named Mysterio... but then he's never shown or mentioned again? What happened to him once the Super Villians took over? Didn't he get a territory for his hand in taking over? Hawkeye's daughter is a good guy... until shes free, and now she's a bad guy? Whats her deal?

I thought it was an interesting story, just kind of wanted more, I guess. Any good recommendations for other GNs that will be adapted in to movies or tv soon? I'd like to give another one a shot
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:12 pm

I don't remember much about OML other than it not seeming very good and that it further affirmed Mark Millar as a writer of butt-comics, so I cannot help you with figuring it out.

I'd also advise staying away from pretty much any of the modern Marvel series that have been used or will be used for their movies; the movies end up awesome, usually, but the comics are spotty at best. I'd say the two big exceptions are Ed Brubaker's "Winter Soldier" arc with Captain America (and, really his, whole run on the title is fantastic) and Warren Ellis' "Extremis" arc with Iron Man (any of the Iron Man comics by Matt Fraction I'd recommend; they're fantastically done, and serve as great jumping on points for people coming in from the movies, plus it cleans up a good amount of the Civil War nonsense).

Jonathan Hickman's "Infinity" storyline and his Avengers work was, IMO, phenomenal, but are probably going to be really dense and tough for new readers to get into.
0 x

Return to “Social”