Fargo Season 3

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Re: Fargo Season 3

Postby CubinNY » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:50 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
Brian707 wrote:That episode was fantastic. I want to buy an old beat up Corevette.

Question and maybe I'm dumb and it will be revealed in a later episode

Spoiler: show
What was with the point of the opening scene in East Berlin 1988?

It will be revealed later. My speculation is that the guy that killed his wife escaped to America and is going to show up at some point.

That scene seemed to be more about the officer forcing a guilty plea from someone who had no connection to any murder. Just plain-old interrogation tactics.

Right, they were forcing the innocent guy to take the charge because the other guy was gone. It wasn't plain old tactics, the man was solving the case soviet style.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:05 pm

didn't season 2 open with a similarly unrelated-to-the-rest-of-the-season sequence? I saw it as a means to set up some sort of expectation for the theme of the season
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:52 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:didn't season 2 open with a similarly unrelated-to-the-rest-of-the-season sequence? I saw it as a means to set up some sort of expectation for the theme of the season

That makes the most sense.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:18 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:didn't season 2 open with a similarly unrelated-to-the-rest-of-the-season sequence? I saw it as a means to set up some sort of expectation for the theme of the season

Yeah, I'm expecting to see it never come up again. It's very A Serious Man.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:36 am

Someone has to take the fall? Preferable, someone-innocent?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 11, 2017 1:22 pm

It seems kinda telling nobody is really posting in this thread at all; personally, I'm finding this season to basically be Fargo spinning its wheels. It's not bad at all, but man, after the high point of last week, which really seemed to be pointing everything in a direction where everything is going to snowball, this latest episode really felt like everything is still stuck in neutral. So much of the characters and the story so far either just seem like retreads from the other seasons, or wrapped in Coen homages that are REALLY on the nose compared to how well that sort of thing was woven in in the first two seasons (the whole scene between Sy and Officer Gomez might as well have had a giant neon sign saying: "HEY, REMEMBER JERRY AND MARGE?!?!?").

Almost all of the characters seem completely separate from each other to the point that when everything, presumably comes crashing together, I don't know if it will work. As much as I like Ewan McGregor, I don't think he was a good casting choice, and definitely for this kind of dual role. He just seems so confused; not the characters, so much as the actor seems baffled by everything that is happening. Thewlis is a ton of fun as Varga, but that all of the characters seem so compartmentalized really limits him; compare him to characters like Malvo or Mulligan, who were really dynamic and encountering a bunch of the other characters we were following throughout the series, which really added to their menace. Varga is almost like a figment of Sy and Emmit's imagination; he's menacing and entertaining, but doesn't feel "real" at all (and trust me, I'm not wishing he was realistic; I'm saying not "real" in that he almost doesn't even seem like a character that's "real" within the context of the show. I'm all for the wonderful, stilted weirdness of this show, but until now even the oddest characters and moments still fit much better into that world than Varga has so far).

And for a show (and movie) that has had such great roles for women, Winstead and Coon both can't help but feel a bit wasted. Both characters so far really just feel like weak copies of Marge, Molly and Peggy.

I still want to keep watching; like I said, it's not BAD, and it still looks great and at its worst it's still a solid show...it's just not nearly as great (so far) as the first two seasons were. Fargo at its best is a really, really skillful slow burn, but this is REALLY heavy on the "slow" part so far.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri May 12, 2017 5:08 am

yawn. I won't be giving up, but damn this season hasn't been very good
0 x

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Fri May 12, 2017 10:45 am

I think seasons 1 and 2 both had me hooked in episode one. I couldn't imagine going forward with season 3 at this point except for the cache that was built up from the 1st 2 seasons.
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon May 15, 2017 5:02 pm

I thought it was very strange for Gloria to go to LA and it doesn't seem to tie into the main plot at all, but I loved the episode.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 15, 2017 5:06 pm

CubinNY wrote:I thought it was very strange for Gloria to go to LA and it doesn't seem to tie into the main plot at all, but I loved the episode.

That's the only one that's really grabbed me so far this season. I like the overall theme of unintended consequences and Gloria's sort of "half-state" that she exists in, but they're not doing much with it so far.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 15, 2017 5:07 pm

And that was the first one not written by Noah Hawley this season, too. I can't help but think Hawley's focus was on Legion instead of this.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun May 21, 2017 3:05 pm

Pretty good episode. Things are starting to come together. The story is not as good as the other two seasons. I figured the wait would be worth it, not so far.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun May 21, 2017 4:52 pm

Seeing this thread made me realize I forgot to watch this week's episode.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon May 22, 2017 12:51 am

my girlfriend and I are going in opposite directions with this show. last week she was telling me how much she loved it when I was saying it was a snoozefest then this week she said the episode was pretty boring when I thought it was the most exciting of the season so far
0 x

Return to “Social”