Re: Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:30 pm

Our puppy is in his way Image
3 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:40 pm

typical puppy. he'll learn to get out of his own way when he's a full blown dog.

congrats, tho
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:45 pm

Puppies/little dogs are kinda the bravest things in the world when they run up to a huge dog, all excited and wanting to play. Like, if I was walking down the street and an 18-foot tall person suddenly came around the corner I'm probably running away.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Puppies/little dogs are kinda the bravest things in the world when they run up to a huge dog, all excited and wanting to play. Like, if I was walking down the street and an 18-foot tall person suddenly came around the corner I'm probably running away.

This is my dog. She is 25 pounds, but still small compared to most dogs, and she thinks she's the welcome wagon at any dog park, doggie daycare, etc.
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:05 pm

my dog is 13 lbs and has attacked 2 dogs in her 10 years. the first was a German shepherd, the 2nd a pit bull
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:27 pm

The GF and I adopted/rescued a 15 year old Chihuahua (still have to look up how to spell that every damn time). She is an animal lover to say the least and used to work at the Humane society.

He has horrible breath, two(!) teeth, and is sweet and appreciative as hell. I’ll try to post a picture at some point. His name is Elvis but I like to call him ghostface (his old ass face is covered in white hair like a mask - plus that’s still one hell of a rapper) and talk in his voice with a Spanish accent. “Good morning, Senior!” One side of his moth droops due to the whole “only two teeth” thing (hence the name).

You can tell he’s never been loved or had a place to rest. I often joke that I feel like we are his nursing home. Anyway, he’s awesome.

Happy Friday, all.
12 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:47 pm

weis21 wrote:The GF and I adopted/rescued a 15 year old Chihuahua (still have to look up how to spell that every damn time). She is an animal lover to say the least and used to work at the Humane society.

He has horrible breath, two(!) teeth, and is sweet and appreciative as hell. I’ll try to post a picture at some point. His name is Elvis but I like to call him ghostface (his old ass face is covered in white hair like a mask - plus that’s still one hell of a rapper) and talk in his voice with a Spanish accent. “Good morning, Senior!” One side of his moth droops due to the whole “only two teeth” thing (hence the name).

You can tell he’s never been loved or had a place to rest. I often joke that I feel like we are his nursing home. Anyway, he’s awesome.

Happy Friday, all.

That's awesome. Good on you adopting a dog that old. I don't know if I could do it, knowing there wouldnt' be a lot of time with the dog
1 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:04 pm

weis21 wrote:The GF and I adopted/rescued a 15 year old Chihuahua (still have to look up how to spell that every damn time). She is an animal lover to say the least and used to work at the Humane society.

Happy Friday, all.

Good for you guys! Thanks for not only adopting the cute ones.
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Derwood wrote:

Happy Friday, all.

That's awesome. Good on you adopting a dog that old. I don't know if I could do it, knowing there wouldnt' be a lot of time with the dog

My fiancé (as of last week!) and I adopted an older dog last Fall, knowing that we probably only had 1-2 years with him, damnit if he wasn't the best damn dog in the world (which made me wonder how ANYONE could surrender him under normal circumstances). Very quickly he knew that he was home with us. Sadly he got sick only a few months in, and it was so hard at first to have him go so quickly but after awhile, we were so happy to give him a happy home for his last few months as it would have been more heartbreaking to learn of him passing in a damn shelter.

His legacy is that we adopted another dog last month, much younger, and will strive to give him the rest of life love that his other family couldn't provide at the end.
8 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 pm

Happy Friday, all.

Spoilered for size
Spoiler: show
6 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:49 pm

2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:56 pm

4 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Some pet rescue organizations are crazy. The hoops they make you jump through to adopt are a major deterrent to even trying. You would think they would want to make it easy*** to find homes for pets

***so long as there is a good history of animal care, clean vet records, etc.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Derwood wrote:Some pet rescue organizations are crazy. The hoops they make you jump through to adopt are a major deterrent to even trying. You would think they would want to make it easy*** to find homes for pets

These animals are coming from often extremely traumatic situations, where they were mistreated or unwanted, and often have special needs. These organizations put a lot of time, effort and money getting the animals healthy, and are committed to putting them in homes that are "forever homes". I don't blame them in the least for putting up hoops for people to adopt. The people that do it are people that clearly want and will take care of the animal.

These aren't pet stores.
0 x

The_Achiever
Starter

Postby The_Achiever » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:35 pm

I was recently in Denver and went out in LODO after a rockies game and there was a guy at the bar with a 100% pure bread WOLF as an emotional support animal. I wish I had gotten a picture, it was mostly indifferent to people but you could go up and pet it. Thing was fricking gorgeous. Was wearing a muzzle but was super chill about everything.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:Some pet rescue organizations are crazy. The hoops they make you jump through to adopt are a major deterrent to even trying. You would think they would want to make it easy*** to find homes for pets

These animals are coming from often extremely traumatic situations, where they were mistreated or unwanted, and often have special needs. These organizations put a lot of time, effort and money getting the animals healthy, and are committed to putting them in homes that are "forever homes". I don't blame them in the least for putting up hoops for people to adopt. The people that do it are people that clearly want and will take care of the animal.

These aren't pet stores.

I get that. I'm not suggesting they hand them out at the door. But some organizations have extreme adoption processes that make it nearly impossible to adopt a pet. Given the number of adoption options in a city the size of Columbus, those organizations aren't worth the effort
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Ok. Do you have some specifics of what you think is too extreme?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:51 pm

Banedon wrote:Ok. Do you have some specifics of what you think is too extreme?

One organization wanted five, non-family personal references.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:27 pm

That's a little high, especially all having to be non family, but as long as they aren't setting too high of requirements on the depth of the relationship with your reference, that shouldn't be too much of a deterrent.

As context, my wife volunteers with a rescue and mainly her job is chasing down people to provide the spay and nueter proof for puppies, which is part of the adoption contract. Even if they didn't vet all 5 references for adoption purposes, they'd have 5 more contacts they could reach out to when an adopter goes delinquent/silent and can't be reached. For her rescue I think it's two references, but its supposed to be two who can speak in detail to the persons home life, experience with animals, etc. If it's just 5 "personal refs" and they aren't looking for that depth of knowledge I hope someone can come up with 5 refs who can verify they know that person and that they seem like a pretty decent person and not a pyschopath who drowns rodents in their spare time.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:36 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:That's a little high, especially all having to be non family, but as long as they aren't setting too high of requirements on the depth of the relationship with your reference, that shouldn't be too much of a deterrent.

As context, my wife volunteers with a rescue and mainly her job is chasing down people to provide the spay and nueter proof for puppies, which is part of the adoption contract. Even if they didn't vet all 5 references for adoption purposes, they'd have 5 more contacts they could reach out to when an adopter goes delinquent/silent and can't be reached. For her rescue I think it's two references, but its supposed to be two who can speak in detail to the persons home life, experience with animals, etc. If it's just 5 "personal refs" and they aren't looking for that depth of knowledge I hope someone can come up with 5 refs who can verify they know that person and that they seem like a pretty decent person and not a pyschopath who drowns rodents in their spare time.

Trust me, I get the good intentions, and there are certainly a lot of bad pet owners (or else there wouldn't be need for rescues) but it sometimes feels like they are assuming you're a horrible person unless you can prove otherwise
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Also, if you're vetting a current pet owner, I would think the veterinarian reference is the most important. If it was new pet owners, sure, pile on the reference requirments.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:53 pm

I'd vouch for derwood
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:06 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Also, if you're vetting a current pet owner, I would think the veterinarian reference is the most important. If it was new pet owners, sure, pile on the reference requirments.

They ask for both, which is fine.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Dogs Are Awesome, Yay Dogs!

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:18 pm

Our shiba puppy, Hiro, is far sweeter to my daughter than he id to me as evident in him posing for my daughter as such:

1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:02 pm

There’s an adopt-a-pet event at a local rescue tomorrow that we are very excited to attend.
0 x

Return to “Social”